Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

nikpmup wrote: »
    My lads name isn't on the Irish top 100, I don't know why but I'm pleased about that :D

Yea our boys name is number 6! I was really surprised as thought it was quite an old fashioned name and have only heard it on one baby in the last year. I wish it wasn't so high up on the list.

And the 2 names I picked for my girl that Im pregnant with are both in the top 5! Again I wish they weren't but I really like the names so I don't think I'm gonna change my mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Yea our boys name is number 6! I was really surprised as thought it was quite an old fashioned name and have only heard it on one baby in the last year. I wish it wasn't so high up on the list.

And the 2 names I picked for my girl that Im pregnant with are both in the top 5! Again I wish they weren't but I really like the names so I don't think I'm gonna change my mind....

I don't think it matters where on the list they are TBH - my niece is called Lily, which is up there in the top ten and has been for a while I think, but she's not called Lily because it's a popular name, she's named after my great aunt who basically reared my older sister. My other niece is Ella, which wasn't popular at all when she was born, but is really popular now. Every name is picked for personal reasons, and every child "becomes" their name, but separate from other people with the same name, iykwim. I have a slightly uncommon name myself (or at least it was when I was a child) and I think that's why I'm pleased my sons name isn't on the list!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love loads of names on the girls list - Aisling,Alannah,Caoimhe,Ciara,Laoise,Roisin reading through them I have not met kids with half of the names.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love loads of names on the girls list - Aisling,Alannah,Caoimhe,Ciara,Laoise,Roisin reading through them I have not met kids with half of the names.

I knew a Laoise once years ago, and have never met one since, I always liked the name. There it is on the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My name is one of the most common girls names out there. It was number one if not top 3 for years and years. There were 13 other girls with the same name in my year in secondary school which got a little old.......

That's why I looked for something a little different for my daughter but really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things!

• Advertisement

Yep it's gonna be Lily/Lilly for our girl I think. Sophia was also a big possibility.

My names not on the list at all. Didnt realise my name was so unpopular! Lol. But I think it's really nice to have a name that isn't so common. Poor Lilly.... O hope she doesnt have 10 in her class... Hahaha. I really love the name tho....

It's a lovely name, elegant and feminine. Although someone should tell my niece that, she plays with dinosaurs and hex bugs, and refuses dolls or anything girly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

We found out that we are having a boy !!! Boys names are hard !!

So far we have

Noah
    Finn
    Alexander
    Nathan

OH likes Logan , Luke and Sebastien

LH2013 wrote: »
    We found out that we are having a boy !!! Boys names are hard !!

So far we have

Noah
    Finn
    Alexander
    Nathan

OH likes Logan , Luke and Sebastien

If we were having a boy he was going to be Sebastian. I love it so does OH. Noah and Luke also lovely and Finn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter was supposed to be katie or lily. Ended up Aoife. Was going to use katie or lily this time but were having a boy.
    I didnt realise aoife was popular. I knew no aoifes but now there are 2 other aoifes in play groups i bring her to.
    Most my boys names are on the list also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sligo1 wrote: »
    If we were having a boy he was going to be Sebastian. I love it so does OH. Noah and Luke also lovely and Finn.

Luke is the only name we're agreeing on at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I have a Logan lovely name even if i do say so myself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We're still hoking about for some more boys and girls names. Elliot and Poppy are front runners, but we'd like some backups (since a couple of members of his family are pregnant and we'd hate to have a name stolen!).
    Meeting the baby on the 6th of January at 13+3 weeks, bit too early for gender check, but you never know!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We're still hoking about for some more boys and girls names. Elliot and Poppy are front runners, but we'd like some backups (since a couple of members of his family are pregnant and we'd hate to have a name stolen!).
    Meeting the baby on the 6th of January at 13+3 weeks, bit too early for gender check, but you never know!

Definitely too early for a gender check, even the private clinics won't check until after 18 weeks.

January wrote: »
    Definitely too early for a gender check, even the private clinics won't check until after 18 weeks.

I had private 3d scan at 16+6 and could tell the gender. Very clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Suucee wrote: »
    I had private 3d scan at 16+6 and could tell the gender. Very clearly.

I was told gender checking at 13 weeks was unlikely, but in some cases it is quite obvious, usually with a boy. The woman that booked my scan told me that more often than not, if it's obvious its a boy, it's a boy, but if its obvious its a girl, that can change.

I was told gender checking at 13 weeks was unlikely, but in some cases it is quite obvious, usually with a boy. The woman that booked my scan told me that more often than not, if it's obvious its a boy, it's a boy, but if its obvious its a girl, that can change.

For me it is obviously a boy. . Very obvious. Have had a scan at 24 weeks also and doc said the same. Its funny as i can see it clearly on 3d scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

It was super obvious on our 3D as well !! Those scans are really good :) I loved seeing his features :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

We got told our gender on our 18+ week Scan which they said was a boy but they were not 100% sure so we went and got a 3D scan and it's so amazing we got told the gender and it's a boy we even got to see his hands his legs and most of all his face we were there for nearly 2 hours as he was being a little stubborn by not moving his hand for the camera :) due 6th febuary 2014 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I think at the scans in the hospital they always say they are not 100% ,they dont want to be sued.Saying that they got it right all 5 times.Even when no.5 turned out to be another boy.I think at that stage they felt sorry for me not having any girls.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I knew we were having a boy 100% - it was very very clear on the scan. The sonographer told me it was definitely a boy too, no hedging her bets with Me :P I had a second scan three weeks later too and the "turtle sign" was very visible

My colleague had a boy after being told it was a girl though so it does happen. We were slagging her saying at his 21st she could tell everyone there he had willy in the scans! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

We're still hoking about for some more boys and girls names. Elliot and Poppy are front runners, but we'd like some backups (since a couple of members of his family are pregnant and we'd hate to have a name stolen!)

We had our daughter's name chosen from 12 weeks, and a member of the family had a baby first and had the same name (they chose it after she was born) but we kept our decision. Ironically they are the ones accused of stealing our name :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have my name decided if it is a girl:)
    Obviously another impossible to spell one unless you can spell as gaeilge.

Spill! Either here or text me :p

January wrote: »
    Spill! Either here or text me :p

Hey, I want to know too!!! :(

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    We had our daughter's name chosen from 12 weeks, and a member of the family had a baby first and had the same name (they chose it after she was born) but we kept our decision. Ironically they are the ones accused of stealing our name :D

We all know you named her after my little darling though :p;)

hehe, messages sent;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I had aifric picked for my little one before I was even pregnant. I had it on the list for pregnancy number 1 before I knew my son was a son lol Rionnach was another one I loved So it came down to DH to make the final decision . Aifric it was.

I had aifric picked for my little one before I was even pregnant. I had it on the list for pregnancy number 1 before I knew my son was a son lol Rionnach was another one I loved So it came down to DH to make the final decision . Aifric it was.

I love Aifric :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I love Aifric :)

It's one of those names that you love or hate. I got a lot of funny looks but it didn't bother me at all. Found it amusing lol everyone calls her affy now though or affydoodle lol

Advertisement