Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

okay, honestly, does it really matter, do you think kids on the playground are in the habit of mocking people about where a fada in a name is? Get real honestly, kids cant stand the language in class let alone carry it onto the playground. As for adults, I can tell you now most will glance at the name and still pronounce it the way it should be. why? Because 99% of the irish population couldn't give a toss whether you put the fada on the e or a they will all know its the irish equivalent of Michael and pronounce it the irish way. Sure you might get the odd pretentious twat who wants to stand out from the crowd and remark on how it should be spelled or pronounced but do you really care what they think.

do what you want put a fada on every letter it still wont make a difference. Its a dead language that not even the teachers want to teach.

It's not about what kids in the playground think.

The name you give your child is something that'll be part of who they are and how they are perceived for the rest of their lives. It helps form first impressions of the person when meeting their teachers, lecturers, employers, colleagues, clients etc for the first time.

I would hate to give my child a name that would make things awkward for them throughout their life.

By the way, I don't plan on giving my kids Irish names, so your rant about Irish being a dead language is wasted on me. However, if I were going to, I would be making sure to spell and pronounce it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

okay, honestly, does it really matter, do you think kids on the playground are in the habit of mocking people about where a fada in a name is? Get real honestly, kids cant stand the language in class let alone carry it onto the playground. As for adults, I can tell you now most will glance at the name and still pronounce it the way it should be. why? Because 99% of the irish population couldn't give a toss whether you put the fada on the e or a they will all know its the irish equivalent of Michael and pronounce it the irish way. Sure you might get the odd pretentious twat who wants to stand out from the crowd and remark on how it should be spelled or pronounced but do you really care what they think.

do what you want put a fada on every letter it still wont make a difference. Its a dead language that not even the teachers want to teach.

So you're a pretentious twat if you notice that the name is spelt wrong, but not if you're a parent who goes out of the way to spell a name in their own way (that they think looks Irish)to be different?

Languages have spelling rules to make them pronounceable you don't spell 'Tom' as 'Tome' just because you like the look of it.

People who have a chip on their shoulders about the Irish language are probably unlikely to use Irish names anyway, so my information about the use of the fada would be irrelevant to them. However, overall, we're pretty fond of using Irish names - you can find the list of popular names on the CSO website. Feel free to provide your source for the teachers who don't want to teach Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

The name you give your child is something that'll be part of who they are and how they are perceived for the rest of their lives. It helps form first impressions of the person when meeting their teachers, lecturers, employers, colleagues, clients etc for the first time.

All I can say to this is wow.... If a person percieves someone and forms an impression of that person from their name than I would just say I would rather not be associated with this person in the slightest! That is the most superficial thing I have actually ever read in this forum....

And just add... You have specified Lecturers.... Prior to starting a family I was/am an Irish registered Lecturer/Tutor... I have NEVER and would NEVER form and impression on one of my student on the name their parents gave them.... That is ridiculous stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I would hate to give my child a name that would make things awkward for them throughout their life.

By the way, I don't plan on giving my kids Irish names, so your rant about Irish being a dead language is wasted on me. However, if I were going to, I would be making sure to spell and pronounce it correctly.

Did you re read what you just posted? As an adult you should be ashamed, do you have any affiliations with Katie Hopkins

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQuAIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DedZjdgU0asM&ei=nl6iUqqKNeeQ7Aa2n4DQDw&usg=AFQjCNHSJb87GP5re8oTXOAIozpFhn3Clg

god, nose bleeding stuff. Just so you know a name doesn't define a child nor should it be a reason to judge them. **** me an adult judging anyone by their name, its one foot forward 20 back in this country, god only knows what it will be next, will we make first impressions based on skin color or religion........oh wait. :rolleyes:

*mod warning*
    please attack the post not the poster.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    All I can say to this is wow.... If a person percieves someone and forms an impression of that person from their name than I would just say I would rather not be associated with this person in the slightest! That is the most superficial thing I have actually ever read in this forum....

It may be, but it's true. There's a reason people don't share names before they name their child - because everyone has an opinion on first hearing it, from 'that sounds like someone in TOWIE' to 'sure no-one will be able to spell that' to 'I knew a Michael once, he was horrible' to 'that's very old-fashioned'.... Often, people don't change their opinions once the baby is born, they just don't say it because it's bad form and eventually they get used to it.

People first impressions of others are formed by many things - clothes, demeanour, voice and yes, their name. In the same way that I wouldn't send my son to school in a tutu, with odd socks or with green hair, I wouldn't give him a name with an incorrect spelling.

• Advertisement

Did you re read what you just posted? As an adult you should be ashamed, do you have any affiliations with Katie Hopkins

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQuAIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DedZjdgU0asM&ei=nl6iUqqKNeeQ7Aa2n4DQDw&usg=AFQjCNHSJb87GP5re8oTXOAIozpFhn3Clg

god, nose bleeding stuff. Just so you know a name doesn't define a child nor should it be a reason to judge them. **** me an adult judging anyone by their name, its one foot forward 20 back in this country, god only knows what it will be next, will we make first impressions based on skin color or religion........oh wait. :rolleyes:

She uses her impressions to make decisions about who her kids play with, which as the sole means of assessing suitable playmates is ridiculous. She takes nothing else into account and makes no effort to find out more about the child. We're talking about first impressions here and bringing race or religion into it is irrelevant as they are things that are not deliberately chosen by parents.

So, you have never been introduced to someone and thought when hearing their name - 'she must be French' or 'his parents must have been hippies' or 'he was born in 1978' or 'I bet she went to a private school?'

What's in a name? A hell of a lot....

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

I think ill name my baby fada!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Think it's gettin off the point a bit. It's a baby names thread not a baby names lecture thread. It's ment to be upbeat. Not to be deterring

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*mod note*
    This thread is to discuss baby names and give opinions on each others ideas but not to attack each other over choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

god, nose bleeding stuff. Just so you know a name doesn't define a child nor should it be a reason to judge them. **** me an adult judging anyone by their name, its one foot forward 20 back in this country, god only knows what it will be next, will we make first impressions based on skin color or religion........oh wait. rolleyes.png

Oh come off it, I never said I personally judge people I meet by their name or by anything else, I said that they will be judged by others throughout their lives by their name - and some will judge more harshly than others - which is true whether you like it or not.

As above. You can call me superficial if you want, but I'm not the one going to be doing the judging.

It's easy to say you "don't want to be associated with this person" - but is it fair to make that decision on behalf of your kids? A recruiter has two identical CVs in front of him for a legal management position but only one interview space; the names on the CVs are Catherine Smith or Shakira Smith; he decides to go with Catherine Smith. Fair? No. Does it happen? Yes - how often do you see people say on AH that they consider Derek, Wayne, Dwayne, Tyler, etc to be "knackery" names, and judge people straight away based on the name.

On another note, if I were to receive a CV from someone called Michéal, I would see straight away that it wasn't spelled the usual Irish name, so I would make the effort to pronounce it as it's spelt (i.e. Mick-ail). He ends up correcting me - no, it's pronounced like Mícheál. Fair enough, it's one quick correction, I'll remember how to pronounce it thereafter and move on with the interview - but I just think it would be so annoying to have to do that over and over again all through my life! As bad as saying "Sorry, I know my name is spelt Emma, but I actually pronounce it Emily" ... people will accept it, it won't bother them what you want to be called, but they're certainly going to wonder why you don't just spell your name the way it's pronounced!
    And just add... You have specified Lecturers.... Prior to starting a family I was/am an Irish registered Lecturer/Tutor... I have NEVER and would NEVER form and impression on one of my student on the name their parents gave them.... That is ridiculous stuff....x

Good for you. You do not speak on behalf of all teachers/lecturers.

I have personally heard groups of teachers having a good laugh at the sort of names some of the students in their schools have; it doesn't necessarily mean they'll treat them any differently than the other students, but I still think it's not very responsible for a parent to give the child a name that'll be a source of humour throughout their lives.

Look, if names didn't matter, why wouldn't we all just call our kids "Child One" "Child Two" etc. Of course names matter, and are an important part of a person's identity. My own feeling is that it's important to me that I give my child a good strong unambiguous name that won't hold them back in life in any way, or make things difficult for them, and that they won't end up hating. It's one of the first things you do for your new child, so you might as well make sure to do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

No I do not speak on behalf of all teachers/ lecturers but I can tell u this.... Of all the lecturers/tutors I know as well as many many employers And managers in the Heath sector .... This would not happen. And if it did... I would seriously wonder what they were basing other perhaps unjustified opinions on....

Look, I'm actually going to bow out of this now as its fairly obvious this it is all to do with such differing opinions neither particularly right or wrong and its actually getting pretty boring....

Just to remind those on their high horses about 'judging' people on their names - I (and I presume other posters) have been talking about first impressions, not the completely illogical idea of forming an entire judgement about someone based solely on his/her name. People are not robots and we do form initial impressions, which may or may not be correct.

I suppose no-one on here has ever commented on an unusual name, had a laugh at the name of a celebrity's baby or made assumptions about nationality, wealth or religion based on a person's name. I must be hanging around some very unsaintly people offline.

Discussing names and the importance of them, is in my opinion, very relevant to a thread called "Baby names." People come on here to share ideas and to seek opinions and reactions on individual names and names in general.

On another note, if I were to receive a CV from someone called Michéal, I would see straight away that it wasn't spelled the usual Irish name, so I would make the effort to pronounce it as it's spelt (i.e. Mick-ail). He ends up correcting me - no, it's pronounced like Mícheál. Fair enough, it's one quick correction, I'll remember how to pronounce it thereafter and move on with the interview - but I just think it would be so annoying to have to do that over and over again all through my life! As bad as saying "Sorry, I know my name is spelt Emma, but I actually pronounce it Emily" ... people will accept it, it won't bother them what you want to be called, but they're certainly going to wonder why you don't just spell your name the way it's pronounced!

So true. My cousin's kid is called Mia, but pronounced Mya (my-uh) and my cousin is constantly correcting people and getting annoyed. What does she expect? :confused: If you want your kid to be called Mya, then spell it like Mya, not like Mia, which is a different name entirely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Babycentre have the top boys and girls names for 2013 up now:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a25008171/top-baby-boy-names-2013

Oliver is number one for boys and Olivia number one for girls.

It's for the UK though, so not entirely accurate for here as there would be no Irish names in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

It's for the UK though, so not entirely accurate for here as there would be no Irish names in it. :)

My daughter is Lara, surprised it's even number 82 as I never come across any! Part of the reason we picked it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

4 out of my 5 boys names are there,i obviously have good taste.

Digs wrote: »
    My daughter is Lara, surprised it's even number 82 as I never come across any! Part of the reason we picked it though :)

I find it's one of those names you don't think is that common, but then you realise you know quite a few. It's a lovely name, good choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Ah! Olivia was a top choice of ours if we had a girl(we're not). So that's off the list now for next time! :(

My cousin has a one year old called Lara. I always think Lara Croft but then I'm a nerd....:)

Elijahs there, but think we are pretty set on Eli

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I went to school with a Lara, knew one in college and now know a toddler with the name. Really pretty name.

I see Niamh is on the top 100 girls names in the list above. Oliver is a lovely name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I have a Joshua born in 2013 - which is number 12 (the same as it was last year)

He's nearly always called Josh or Joshy though. Only Joshua when he's driving me mad :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The only name I slightly like there is Oscar.
    I have an awful time trying to find boys names!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

I presume most people have this link to the Irish one for 2013, but just in case: http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ibn/irishbabiesnames2012/#.UqZCePRdVGQ

Conor is a nice name but we can't use it.
    Cormac is nice too but baba would have an uncle Cormac aagghh
    Trying to avoid names begining with C aswell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The only name I slightly like there is Oscar.
    I have an awful time trying to find boys names!

I like Oscar too but my cousins little boy is Oscar and we'd be close... like Ollie (Oliver) but I've had a bad experience with someone with that name so not warming to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

So we found out this evening that we're having a daughter. We had decided on either Emma or Lucy, I wonder if it will change before March :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

So we found out this evening that we're having a daughter. We had decided on either Emma or Lucy, I wonder if it will change before March :)

We found out today that we're getting a son :D Great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Those are beautiful names, lovely and girlie :) Congrats to you both. x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

We have Lucy picked since I was pregnant with my son. Hasn't changed yet. As for boys names I hit a wall all the time. Hubby said no to finding out what we're having but just tonight said we'll find out if I want to. So if it's a boy please help me with names :-)

Congratulations January!! I'd love another boy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My lads name isn't on the Irish top 100, I don't know why but I'm pleased about that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

nikpmup wrote: »
    My lads name isn't on the Irish top 100, I don't know why but I'm pleased about that :D

I was kind of hoping my daughters wouldn't be either although it is number 82 and also we spell it differently so TECHNICALLY it isn't :P

Actually sorry it's not in the Irish one at all! Very surprised at some of the names that are.

Advertisement