Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I love the name Aifric. Heard it somewhere the last day and said that I love it to whoever was with me, think it was a friend. I really can't remember who was with me...but whoever it was anyway she wrinkled her nose and said "Really?". I think it's such a lovely name! But then if I repeat it a few times I start hearing Ah frick :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I love the name Aifric. Heard it somewhere the last day and said that I love it to whoever was with me, think it was a friend. I really can't remember who was with me...but whoever it was anyway she wrinkled her nose and said "Really?". I think it's such a lovely name! But then if I repeat it a few times I start hearing Ah frick :p

Lol I looked up possible nicknames before she came along and there was a girl called Aifric who said she had been called "A Freak" but she also said she didn't care because she loved her name and it was a real conversation starter so that sold it to me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Reminds me of the song from "Little Miss Sunshine"

Sup-a-freek
    She's sup-a-freeky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Reminds me of the song from "Little Miss Sunshine"

Sup-a-freek
    She's sup-a-freeky :D

Ha ha she will be locked in her room when she is older if that's the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Question -

Is Cara/Caragh/Carragh an Irish name? If so how is it spelled?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Question -

Is Cara/Caragh/Carragh an Irish name? If so how is it spelled?

It's spelled Cara - and yes it's Irish, it means Friend. Lovely name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

January wrote: »
    We all know you named her after my little darling though :p;)

Nope you both named your ladies after my lil lady ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Just came across a great baby name website www.nymbler.com
    It generates baby names for you based on names it already knows you like.
    You can save your favourites as you go.
    I thought it was great for throwing up ideas and you get through loads really quickly.
    Thought it might be useful for someone :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had a look I could not see any nice names so added a few and eventually it came up with 4 nice names.
    I want another boy but can only name girls so name picked for bump if it is a girl:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I tried that website and put in my favourite names to see what it would generate. It took ages before it selected any I liked. Alot of the names generated were very American, like Tyler etc... Even though my names were Irish and English.

Interesting all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

So in an interesting turn of events, we decided on boy/girl names the other night with a little hesitation from my partner. We got Elliot Brody for a boy and Summer Eden for a girl :D
    Had a little tiff over why he was so reluctant to actually tell me what names he really likes, and it came out that he's so sick with nerves that we're going to go to the scan and something will be wrong, like no heartbeat, but he didn't want to put the thought in my head (as if a first time mum hasn't thought of that at least every second :o )

Then, out of nowhere last night, while watching Castle, he announces that he really loves Nathan for a boy and Alexis for a girl :eek: Think we might have to finally compromise on names :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    So in an interesting turn of events, we decided on boy/girl names the other night with a little hesitation from my partner. We got Elliot Brody for a boy and Summer Eden for a girl :D
    Had a little tiff over why he was so reluctant to actually tell me what names he really likes, and it came out that he's so sick with nerves that we're going to go to the scan and something will be wrong, like no heartbeat, but he didn't want to put the thought in my head (as if a first time mum hasn't thought of that at least every second :o )

Then, out of nowhere last night, while watching Castle, he announces that he really loves Nathan for a boy and Alexis for a girl :eek: Think we might have to finally compromise on names :p

My OH was the exact same, we actively ttc our son so when I was pregnant I often wondered why he didn't seem as thriled as I was. Came out after our son was born that he spent the whole time worrying something would happen to me or the baby!!

Love his name choice too especially Alexis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

My cousin called her baby Alexis,lovely name.Ilike Nathan as well

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

We have Nathan on our list too - Lovely name ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Nathan is a gorgeous name. We're still set on Lilly for our girl. But was chatting to a primary school teacher there the other day and when I told her we were thinking of Lilly she said "lovely but so common these days". She said there was 5 Lily's in one of her classes alone last year.

Devastated. We really really love the name and have been referring to bump as Lilly for ages now. We dont have another name we like as much either. But I don't want her to be one of 5 or 10 in the classroom either :(.

My one year olds name is Thomas. And I thought that was pretty uncommon these days... But I read in the independent yesterday that it was number 1 most popular (registered) name last year.... Weird because I don't know many mums who picked Thomas...

I don't mind if names are common or uncommon. I'd just prefer of there weren't loads and loads of kids with the same names.... Am I being a dope or thinking about this too much?

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Nathan is a gorgeous name. We're still set on Lilly for our girl. But was chatting to a primary school teacher there the other day and when I told her we were thinking of Lilly she said "lovely but so common these days". She said there was 5 Lily's in one of her classes alone last year.

Devastated. We really really love the name and have been referring to bump as Lilly for ages now. We dont have another name we like as much either. But I don't want her to be one of 5 or 10 in the classroom either :(.

My one year olds name is Thomas. And I thought that was pretty uncommon these days... But I read in the independent yesterday that it was number 1 most popular (registered) name last year.... Weird because I don't know many mums who picked Thomas...

I don't mind if names are common or uncommon. I'd just prefer of there weren't loads and loads of kids with the same names.... Am I being a dope or thinking about this too much?

Nope, you're just the same as me! I'm not a fan of "unique" names. I like names people have heard of. Like they look at it and they know straight away what the name is, how it is pronounced etc. But I wouldn't like my child to be one of the ones who has to use their second name in class to differentiate! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

It's such a balancing act isn't it! You want something people have heard off, but then you don't want them to be one of five in school with the same name. I've gone off names purely when I found out they were in the top 20 in the CSO list!

My problem is I keep going off names. I loved Elliot for about a fortnight and now have totally gone off it. Hope that doesn't happen when I've actually named the baby and registered it!

ncmc wrote: »
    It's such a balancing act isn't it! You want something people have heard off, but then you don't want them to be one of five in school with the same name. I've gone off names purely when I found out they were in the top 20 in the CSO list!

My problem is I keep going off names. I loved Elliot for about a fortnight and now have totally gone off it. Hope that doesn't happen when I've actually named the baby and registered it!

I've been just told that Brady is a big contender for him (notice ncmc that he totally calmed down when I sent him the picture of the pram that the shop forwarded to me :P ) I love it, so fresh and baby and grown-up suitable.
    But his family name is Brady (his mother is remarried, so my OH has his biological father's name) and I'd feel too much like that people would wonder if we were honouring his family and not mine by using the name. My mother thought it was lovely, but she agreed that people would wonder why I would name the child after my partner's family and not my dead father :o

ncmc wrote: »

I'm the same, I was always one of 4-5 Emmas in my class in school, so I'd love to pick a less common name for my kid ... but nothing too "out there", either!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Most times the minute you see the baby the name comes to you.Ive named all my babies before they were born bar one.The name didnt suit him at all.It was supposed to be Jayden im glad now its really popular.I also had Jamie there was 3 Jamies in his playschool and 2 of them in his class now.
    I called him Ryan,nice enough name but wouldnt have been my choice except it was the only name that suited him.

• Advertisement

His picks -

Roisin
    Cara
    Tadhg
    Dáithí

My picks -

Rosie
    Evelyn
    Oliver
    Leo

So he likes Irish names! I don't mind his choices, in fact Cara is really pretty. The ones he's put out there aren't too... 'Irish-y' if you get my meaning, like Cahoifilioann which is pronounced 'Susan' :P

He likes my choices too, so we're pretty 50/50.
    If we start with Irish names I'd like to keep going with them & I'm not sure if I like enough of them to start with IYKWIM?

Any names appeal to anyone?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Róisín would be a nice compromise there,not too different from Rosie.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

just browsing through this and thought id recommend Evelyn in Irish is Eibhlín, it's Irish but also one of your picks translated :)

ENMcD wrote: »
    just browsing through this and thought id recommend Evelyn in Irish is Eibhlín, it's Irish but also one of your picks translated :)

Thank you! Is it pronounced the same, just a different spelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

Pronounced Ev-leen, it is my own name and have been called eileen evelyn etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I really like Cara on that list too. Lovely name.

Roisin and Rosie I love too, but i always picture them as little girls names, not for a grown up. Maybe you could put Rose on the birth cert, and use one of the others as her name when she is small? Then you get three for the price of one. :)

My husband is suddenly requesting Mary be on the list of our names. It's his mums name, and I do like it with the surname, but I was thinking it's surely a bit common. Turns out it is number 70 Cso. Way down the list.

I always think of it as an old womans name,possibly because I have only ever met 1 my age and the rest were old.

My sister's called Mary and has always hated her name, she thinks it's a real old lady name (she's 21 now.)

Personally I don't really think it's a name that suits young kids/teenagers. Then again a lot of "older" names like Lily, Maisie etc seem to be coming back into fashion ... so who knows. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

pwurple wrote: »
    I really like Cara on that list too. Lovely name.

Roisin and Rosie I love too, but i always picture them as little girls names, not for a grown up. Maybe you could put Rose on the birth cert, and use one of the others as her name when she is small? Then you get three for the price of one. :)

My husband is suddenly requesting Mary be on the list of our names. It's his mums name, and I do like it with the surname, but I was thinking it's surely a bit common. Turns out it is number 70 Cso. Way down the list.

Mary is not common at all.

Its like John. Noone calls their kids this any more.

Its interesting the swings and roundabouts.

On the subject of Rosie......Roisin is the Irish version......you can get two names for the price for that one......Roisin is a legitimate pet name for Rosie or Rose; Rosie is a legitimate pet name for Roisin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    On the subject of Rosie......Roisin is the Irish version......you can get two names for the price for that one......Roisin is a legitimate pet name for Rosie or Rose; Rosie is a legitimate pet name for Roisin.

I thought the same. That really is a compromise. It's just the same name really.

Advertisement