Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd say Tombo2001 meant that calling a name not in the top ten CSO list for the last few decades 'lazy' and unimaginative might be off the mark.

Jack is a great name for the same reasons that all recognisable names have going for them. It has got so much historical clout behind it with centuries of great Jacks, that no new celeb is going to appear on the scene with the name when the child is 12. It's already well-diluted. Britney and beyonce though for example... Not a whole lot of well known people with those. So the First thing that comes into peoples head is that the child has been named after a pop singer, no matter if they were named years before the celeb was famous. Never going to get that with Jack or Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My son's name is Jack doesn't lack imagination I believe a name fits a person and it suits him.

We're thinkin Lucy for girl and toss up between Ryan and Luke for a boy

Luke is what we have picked for a boy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Lol.... But wolfpawnat... Seriously would you name your kid that when your own name is nat?

I wouldn't call a kid the same name as myself personally. I just think Natalia is nicer. As we said before Nat-lee (with a big Cork accent) gets a bit annoying after a while :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I wouldn't call a kid the same name as myself personally. I just think Natalia is nicer. As we said before Nat-lee (with a big Cork accent) gets a bit annoying after a while :D

Lol... Nat-lee with any accent is annoying. Haha. I like Natalia, and not because it has anything to do with my name. But I wonder would some family/friends tho I've named her after myself and think..."jays she thinks a lot of herself..." Lol.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Lol... Nat-lee with any accent is annoying. Haha. I like Natalia, and not because it has anything to do with my name. But I wonder would some family/friends tho I've named her after myself and think..."jays she thinks a lot of herself..." Lol.

My son is named after his grandfather. My daughter has her grandmother's name as her middle one, it's nice to have tradition. I like that Natalia is slightly different meaning there is no confusion. I wouldn't care about peoples ideas if I found a name I liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

my aunts name is anne, she called her daughter anna. not after herself, she just loved the name.

Slight problem in the Natalie / Natalia case is that they are both easily shortened to the same name - Nat. My husband has this problem, but his dad named him after himself so thats his own fault! :)

Our baby boy is due in 3 weeks. Only one name on the list, Eli, so if he doesnt look lie an Eli we are in trouble. Im also worried cos weve picked the middle name too, and all the initials and surname will end up being the same as my husbands. he had trouble with his dad 'accidently' opening his post all the time, Im wondering if we are setting ourselves up for similar annoyances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

pwurple wrote: »
    I'd say Tombo2001 meant that calling a name not in the top ten CSO list for the last few decades 'lazy' and unimaginative might be off the mark.

Jack is a great name for the same reasons that all recognisable names have going for them. It has got so much historical clout behind it with centuries of great Jacks, that no new celeb is going to appear on the scene with the name when the child is 12. It's already well-diluted. Britney and beyonce though for example... Not a whole lot of well known people with those. So the First thing that comes into peoples head is that the child has been named after a pop singer, no matter if they were named years before the celeb was famous. Never going to get that with Jack or Mary.

Well, yes that is my point.

I think people get confused between what was lets say 'popular' when we were kids, and what is now.

The names that might appear to us to fit in the 'popular' category are the names that were very hip and trendy when our own parents were choosing names....

When I was a kid, there were heaps of Deborah's, Michelle's, Fiona's, Sinead's for girls.......Keith, Derek, John, Andrew for boys....

You very rarely hear these names used for kids now, and thats because of our perception of them as being a bit dated or not hip. We might still think of Michelle or Derek as quite a common name. Our kids wouldnt.

But names go in cycles.

Oliver is a name that nobody used for their kids in the 1970s or 1980s, but its become quite fashionable again now.

Maybe when our kids are choosing names for their children, a name like Michelle will be really unusual and exotic for them, since they didnt know any Michelle's growing up. The same might apply to Mary.

Jack is a great name. Its a super name. But it has been the most popular child's name in Ireland for the past ten years. I dont mean to cause offence, but I dont think it requires a major stretch of imagination to call a kid Jack when its been comfortably the most popular Irish childs name so far this century. So what.....its still a great name.

But Mary is a name no-one uses any more, so kudos to anyone who is not afraid to go against convention and choose it. Because it is also a great name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My names Sinead and I hate it. Can't imagine been an old woman with that name. Iv only met a few and there my age.

Jack is also my mothers fathers name and he passed when she was 3 and he's the forgotten family member nowadays

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the name Sinéad it would have been a definite contender if we did not already have close family with the name. Most Sinéads I know are in their 30s now though.
    I think Anna is a nice name too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Yeah I know one that's in her 30's and I'm 25 and went to school with two. I live in the same small village with a Sinead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

i am Michelle born in the late 70's and shared my name with at least 5 other girls in secondary school, was common back then, great points made by Tombo 2001, maybe Michelle will become popular again in 20 years time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

It's only when you're thinking of names for a baby you realise how many people you don't like! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Merkin wrote: »
    It's only when you're thinking of names for a baby you realise how many people you don't like! :o

Oh god, so true! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I was gonna say exs aswell.... Mwahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Another name to throw out there...Demi-Lee???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ms2011 wrote: »

I like Demi... not sure about Demi-Lee... it just sounds a bit... chavvy? Sorry:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ms2011 wrote: »

Demi is too much of a technical term for me to think of it in a name. Demi-glace, demi-baguette, demi-cup bra, demijohn containers, demi pointe shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

January wrote: »
    I like Demi... not sure about Demi-Lee... it just sounds a bit... chavvy? Sorry:o

My next better be a boy, I'm bombing at naming girls :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think people sometimes feel they need to 'knock it out of the ball park' with baby names; that they want to pick a name that people will go 'Wow, that is such a cool name, if i ever had a boy/girl I would definitely choose that name except I cant because you got it first!!!!!!'......

But you cant really do that since, apart from anyone else, tastes differ.....not everyone will love every name. There is no perfect name.

As long as you pick something that you (both!) like and is not embarassing for the child......then that is fine. Children grow into their names, and after a while you stop thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

my sister always said girls names were harder than boys names.

and my other sister due a girl in 8 days, agrees while heartedly.

you want a the name to be perfect

we eventually settled on Avery for a girl and Dorian for a boy... and not everyonelikesthem.

a colleague said at least they're not as.bad as north, so you'll.never please everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

my sister always said girls names were harder than boys names.

and my other sister due a girl in 8 days, agrees while heartedly.

I would find it a lot harder to choose a boy's name. I think if I'd had a boy 2 years ago instead of a girl he still wouldn't have a name as I honestly can't think of 1 boy's name that I like enough to call a child.
    Hopefully that will change if I ever do have a boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

we eventually settled on Avery for a girl and Dorian for a boy... and not everyonelikesthem.

After Dorian Gray?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Xdancer wrote: »
    I would find it a lot harder to choose a boy's name. I think if I'd had a boy 2 years ago instead of a girl he still wouldn't have a name as I honestly can't think of 1 boy's name that I like enough to call a child.
    Hopefully that will change if I ever do have a boy!

I could name 10 girls but naming one boy was hard,I let the husband pick the name and I was not a huge fan but I am used to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Pity me then i had to find 5 boys names.It can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Was discussing names with the OH again tonight. What do we think of Amelie for a girl and Aidan for a boy?

A few others that came up were Alice, Molly, Victoria, and Faye for girls and Finn, Charlie and Ethan for boys. Thoughts? :o

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Was discussing names with the OH again tonight. What do we think of Amelie for a girl and Aidan for a boy?

A few others that came up were Alice, Molly, Victoria, and Faye for girls and Finn, Charlie and Ethan for boys. Thoughts? :o

Aidan is a fantastic name :D Can't recommend it enough

Is Amelie pronounced Am meh lee?? That's lovely.

They are all lovely names, especially Alice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

WhiteRoses wrote: »

My daughter is Amélie so I'm biased but I love the name :)

All your choices are good ones imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Love Amelie and Finn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Love Alice and Finn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Alice and Amelia were my girl names. Rose would have been the middle name for either.

We called our little boy William Arthur. Runner up names might have been Aidan, Daniel and James.

Advertisement