Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

LakesKeane wrote: »
    Well since your d/l speed is around 2 Mbps the max download you could theoretically get is about 250kBps anyways.

2Mbps/8 ~ .258kBps

Maybe your isp is throttling p2p ?
    I would be delighted with 250kB/s, from other people I know using the same isp I don't think it is, not for them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

After many happy years as a smart telecom customer I'm thinking of changing to UPC. My phone line wasn't good enough for smart's recent free speed upgrade so I'm stuck with 5/.25. A neighbour has UPC 20/1.5 and finds it grand (he doesn't do any p2p) - estate was recabled last year.

I do a far bit of p2p and am a little concerned that UPC do traffic shaping? Smart don't and it's possible to max out on a good torrent.

Also smart have great customer support - I usually use their forum. Has UPC's customer support improved? Do they have a forum?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

digitaldr wrote: »
    After many happy years as a smart telecom customer I'm thinking of changing to UPC. My phone line wasn't good enough for smart's recent free speed upgrade so I'm stuck with 5/.25. A neighbour has UPC 20/1.5 and finds it grand (he doesn't do any p2p) - estate was recabled last year.

I do a far bit of p2p and am a little concerned that UPC do traffic shaping? Smart don't and it's possible to max out on a good torrent.

Also smart have great customer support - I usually use their forum. Has UPC's customer support improved? Do they have a forum?

Thanks

UPC dont, at least i never found they did, they are awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Glad to hear that. Got a very early install date - next Wednesday. I've asked for a wired modem as I hear they're wireless router is a p.o.s. Will be using my own wireless router running dd-wrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Has any successfully forwarded the ports for utorrent on the Eircom Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3? Does anyone have a link to a guide that works?

I've followed any instructions I've been able to find but am having no joy.

3 Questions :

1. You have to input your "server IP" address. Is that the same IP address thats listed as IP in the ipconfig list of info?

2. Do you have to turn off the router firewall altogether? it says under firewall settings that "low" is the setting recommended for port forwarding but it doesn't seem to work.

3. I can't seem to use the browser while I'm downloading. Is there a setting I can change to fix this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Has any successfully forwarded the ports for utorrent on the Eircom Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3? Does anyone have a link to a guide that works?

I've followed any instructions I've been able to find but am having no joy.

3 Questions :

1. You have to input your "server IP" address. Is that the same IP address thats listed as IP in the ipconfig list of info?

2. Do you have to turn off the router firewall altogether? it says under firewall settings that "low" is the setting recommended for port forwarding but it doesn't seem to work.

3. I can't seem to use the browser while I'm downloading. Is there a setting I can change to fix this?

Add utorrent as an exception in your firewall settings,utorrent's latest versions are pretty clever and can do all the port forwarding settings for you.
    If not try here http://portforward.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I'm on UPC. Every time I try download a torrent in uTorrent, it starts, connects, downloads a bit (at high speed) then after a minute disconnects with the error:
    Error: no such file or directory
    UPnP is enabled, so ports don't seem to be the issue. Someone suggested it's flood protection on the modem. But I turned that off (I think) and still the same problem.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

yep had the same problem last year. the problem was to do with the file destination folder..i had it on the desktop. if you move the folder somewhere else it should work.

yep had the same problem last year. the problem was to do with the file destination folder..i had it on the desktop. if you move the folder somewhere else it should work.
    It's not a problem when using my friend's Eircom connection/router combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

are you downloading it to an external HDD or similar? what OS are you using? im fairly sure the problem isnt on UPC's end.

• Advertisement

OS X. Directly onto HD (Downloads folder).

sarkozy wrote: »
    OS X. Directly onto HD (Downloads folder).
    are you using uTorrent?

IIRC, uTorrent doesnt really work very well on osx, and is in a very unstable version 0.9 or something? not a mac user, but could you try a different torrent downloader?

I'll try another one but I've no problem with Eircom, all things being the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 totofd25

can anyone tell me what are isp policy on bitorrent as in will they write to you to tell u that what u are doing is illegal etc .havve been told that upc will not provide isp's to companies .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

totofd25 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what are isp policy on bitorrent as in will they write to you to tell u that what u are doing is illegal etc .havve been told that upc will not provide isp's to companies .

You need to clarify what you're asking. ISP is Internet Service Provider, i.e. the company that supplies your broadband. The policy will depend on what ISP you are talking about. UPC is an ISP, they do not provide ISPs, to companies or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

Hello,

I have UPC 30MB and use uTorrent and the best I can get is about 1.3MB's on a good day.

Should I be able to get it faster? I am not complaining... just wondering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Callipo wrote: »
    Do you have your port port-forwarded? It helps a lot.
    Factors which will determine what speed you get include:
    • How well seeded the torrent is - the better seeded, the faster the download
    • whether or not your ISP throttles torrent traffic
    • whether or not you are port-forwarded, if you are then you can connect to more seeders leading to faster download
    There's probably more issues but those are three of the main ones.
    If you don't know what port-forwarding is then it's very likely you haven't done it.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Do you have your port port-forwarded? It helps a lot.
    Factors which will determine what speed you get include:
    • How well seeded the torrent is - the better seeded, the faster the download
    • whether or not your ISP throttles torrent traffic
    • whether or not you are port-forwarded, if you are then you can connect to more seeders leading to faster download
    There's probably more issues but those are three of the main ones.
    If you don't know what port-forwarding is then it's very likely you haven't done it.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I do have port forwarding so is there anything else?

UPC doesnt appear to throttle downloads. im sure uploading is throttled, but not downloading.

when you're downloading, does utorrent display a little green "tick" circle somewhere at the bottom of the window?

try torrenting a very well seeded torrent. one with many seeds and very little leaches. if you read back through these page i think the poster Vibe666 points out a legal torrent (a linux disco maybe) that will 100% max out your torrenting speeds, because its seeded on a gigabit network by the owners. thats the easiest and clearest way to test your settings.

are you using wireless or ethernet?

to test your true throughput, try downloading a linux iso from irelands HEAnet ftp servers.
    or click this download link and let it run for a 5-10min, and note what the download speed is. you can stop and delete the file afterwards.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    UPC doesnt appear to throttle downloads. im sure uploading is throttled, but not downloading.

when you're downloading, does utorrent display a little green "tick" circle somewhere at the bottom of the window?

try torrenting a very well seeded torrent. one with many seeds and very little leaches. if you read back through these page i think the poster Vibe666 points out a legal torrent (a linux disco maybe) that will 100% max out your torrenting speeds, because its seeded on a gigabit network by the owners. thats the easiest and clearest way to test your settings.

are you using wireless or ethernet?

to test your true throughput, try downloading a linux iso from irelands HEAnet ftp servers.
    or click this download link and let it run for a 5-10min, and note what the download speed is. you can stop and delete the file afterwards.

Thanks for the help! ;) When I get "thanks" ability I'll be back to do it properly.

I max out at 2.2 on that direct download and I am on Ethernet but using those 200MB Plug yokes. Me in converted attic and router way downstairs in sitting room.

Later I might hook a laptop into the router to see what speed I can get.

Thanks again everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Callipo wrote: »
    Hello,

I have UPC 30MB and use uTorrent and the best I can get is about 1.3MB's on a good day.

I'm on UPC 30meg and in torrent I'm getting 3.6 so full speed and more try the Linux download something is not right or your downloading from a crap site

massy086 wrote: »
    I'm on UPC 30meg and in torrent I'm getting 3.6 so full speed and more try the Linux download something is not right or your downloading from a crap site

I think the "issue" is with my Plug yokes set up. I did back in the day have them set up well but me mot plugged the whole lot out awhile back when we went on holidays and I think they need reset and redone "properly"

Time to find the manual me thinks :)

Thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Has anyone tries this out? Live streaming straight to your TV using a Apple TV 2 + XMBC + icefilms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jP9cDeqII

Info on the Apple TV:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056246667

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Salgran

Hi folks....
    Just got 30mg UPC broadband into our house and works great except for when I try to download anything through utorrent. I don't get an error message and it doesnt seem to cut instantly.
    What actually happens is that my download rate rises up to about 300kb/sec or so (in about 15-30 seconds). Then it cuts out and I become disconnected from my wireless router. I can then reconect but it only lasts for a few seconds unless I totally restart my computer. Anyway, I'm stumped, so any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What would be the best configuration for utorrent if I wanted to max out my upload and download speeds? I got 100mb today and these are the results.

1302815971.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32 szines

Salgran wrote: »
    Hi folks....
    Just got 30mg UPC broadband into our house and works great except for when I try to download anything through utorrent. I don't get an error message and it doesnt seem to cut instantly.
    What actually happens is that my download rate rises up to about 300kb/sec or so (in about 15-30 seconds). Then it cuts out and I become disconnected from my wireless router. I can then reconect but it only lasts for a few seconds unless I totally restart my computer. Anyway, I'm stumped, so any help would be great.

I think you should turn off the "IP Flood Detection" option in your Cisco router what you got from UPC.

1. Write in your browser: http://192.168.1.1/
    You should see your router setup page.

2. Leave User name and password empty, click OK

3. Click to "Setup" in the menu.

4. Click "Options" under "Firewall" section.

5. Uncheck "IP Flood Detection"

6. Click "Apply"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

szines wrote: »
    I think you should turn off the "IP Flood Detection" option in your Cisco router what you got from UPC.

1. Write in your browser: http://192.168.1.1/
    You should see your router setup page.

2. Leave User name and password empty, click OK

3. Click to "Setup" in the menu.

4. Click "Options" under "Firewall" section.

5. Uncheck "IP Flood Detection"

6. Click "Apply"

Have the new thompson router. Just checked an ip flood detection is disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Hi all im on UPC's 20mb connection and recently my torrent downloads have been acting weird...the speed keeps fluctuating every few minutes(example: for a few minutes i'll have maybe 2mb/s download speed then suddenly it'll drop to about 100kb/s...i have followed the speed guides on the utorrent forums and disabled flood protection on the router but it still isnt working...ive also tried limiting my download speed in utorrent and tried limiting number of connections...here are some screens showing the speed changes(sorry about the image sizes)..:

screen1.jpg

and this one:

screen2.jpg

Hopefully somebody out there can help :)

Thanks! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hi guys,
    Absolute novice in terms of configuring uTorrent.Anyhow I'd appreciate if you could advise me how forward a port on my B260a Gateway/Router from Huawei.My Laptop runs on Vista,AVG free anti viral,I've made an exception for uTorrent in my Firewall,I even created a port for it,in addition to making the exception.Yet when I run a test I am advised that my port is not open but I can still download.I understand the port number itself can be altered/randomly selected and may help speeds.I have no idea how to configure my router settings to forward a port.
    Read this dude:
    " I’m assuming you are using the 2211-NG (running 4.3.x firmware). To simplify things, I connected a 2211-NG to a 3rd party access point in my lab and ran a port scan to the WAN port of the 2211-NG and found ports 22, 80 and 443 in listening mode. From a computer connected to the 3rd party AP I was able to use SSH and/or HTTPs to manage the 2211 using its WAN IP address (be aware the 2211 will automatically change to HTTPs (port 443) when being accessed using HTTP (port 80)). The LAN IP address is ‘protected’ by NAT if the 2211 is in Route mode, so the LAN IP address is by default not reachable from the outside.

Port Forwarding is used to make computers on the LAN side available to computers on the WAN side (read: Internet). If you want to access your private computer from the Internet using SSH (port 22), you need to configure a Port Forwarding rule like this:

Start port: 2222, End port: 2222, Protocol: TCP, Server IP address 192.168.30.123, Server port 22, Enable

With the above rule you are telling the 2211 to accept traffic from the WAN port on TCP port 2222, forward that to your private computer with IP address 192.168.30.123 using TCP port 22 on the LAN side.

When you’re on the Internet instruct your SSH client to use port 2222 to the WAN IP address of the 2211 and you will be forwarded to your private computer. If you want to use SSH to connect to the 2211 from anywhere on the Internet, instruct your SSH client to use port 22 to the WAN IP address of the 2211 and you will be connected to the management interface of the 2211 (which is username/password protected)."
    It made total sense but failed to help me make the required alterations to my router's configuration.
    Hope you guys/technos can help.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Have the new thompson router. Just checked an ip flood detection is disabled.

I am having the same issue aswell were you able to fix it?

Advertisement