Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Hi Guys
    Just had UPC BB installed with the EPC2425 router and as soon as I open utorrent I'm unable to browse any webpages. Utorrent is working and will begin to download but I can use the browser unless I shut down utorrent alltoghter?

Any ideas how to sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

I have exactly the same problem with utorrent and digiweb, don't know how to cure it sorry
    regards D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

eireal wrote: »
    Just had UPC BB installed with the EPC2425 router and as soon as I open utorrent I'm unable to browse any webpages. Utorrent is working and will begin to download but I can use the browser unless I shut down utorrent alltoghter?

I'd suggest going to the top right of this page ans selecting the "Search this thread" option and banging in EPC2425.
    There's already been a few posts about it and one of them may solve your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Hi I recently moved to Wimax from eircom and I was wondering what is the best settings for utorrent as my speeds are very jumpy and unstable on this compared to Eircom I'm on 7mb yet im lucky if i can get over 100 kb/s on a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Hi I recently moved to Wimax from eircom and I was wondering what is the best settings for utorrent as my speeds are very jumpy and unstable on this compared to Eircom I'm on 7mb yet im lucky if i can get over 100 kb/s on a good day

I heard they throttle torrents :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

I heard that too its a very poor isp. Annoys me I'm stuck with them for a year, however I was told by someone theres a setting in an older version of utorrent that seem to trick the throttle into a more stable speed. I was in a rush at the time so I couldnt really pay much attention other than that, but I'm hoping someone here might know which version to use and what might be the best setting for it. If not well I guess I'm in for 12 months of hell :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

WiMax is a technology, not an ISP. If it's Imagine WiMax you're using, then you may as well forget about torrents.

The only setting that might have been mentioned is to enable encryption in uTorrent. This may or may not change anything, as Imagine mobile WiMax is an unreliable service to begin with.

If you switched from eircom to Imagine WiMax, then you switched from broadband to midband; a backwards step. Switch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 szines

eireal wrote: »
    Hi Guys

1. Write in your browser: http://192.168.1.1/
    You should see your router setup page.

2. Leave User name and password empty, click OK

3. Click to "Setup" in the menu.

4. Click "Options" under "Firewall" section.

5. Uncheck "IP Flood Detection"

6. Click "Apply"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm using Vuze/Azureus and am looking to set it up so completed downloads will automatically transcode without me having to tell it to. Have googled around and haven't found an answer, has anyone else come across a way to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm using Vuze/Azureus and am looking to set it up so completed downloads will automatically transcode without me having to tell it to. Have googled around and haven't found an answer, has anyone else come across a way to do it?

what does transcode mean?

• Advertisement

nudist wrote: »
    what does transcode mean?

Convert the video to another format/codec. The PSP plays no useful formats so anything I download needs to be converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Sounds like you're looking for a transcoder that will trancode any file that appears in a watch folder.
    Then you set up Azureus/Vuze to send completed downloads into the watch folder and let the transcoder do the rest.
    What you need to do though is find a transcoder that supports watch folders.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Sounds like you're looking for a transcoder that will trancode any file that appears in a watch folder.
    Then you set up Azureus/Vuze to send completed downloads into the watch folder and let the transcoder do the rest.
    What you need to do though is find a transcoder that supports watch folders.

That could work as well if I could find some such.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Use something like this and use a commandline encoder?

No idea how to use command lines or anything of that nature, and I don't like using other video encoders, too many bad experiences.

EDIT: I do realise I'm not being as helpful as I could be. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No idea how to use command lines or anything of that nature, and I don't like using other video encoders, too many bad experiences.

EDIT: I do realise I'm not being as helpful as I could be. :pac:
    What encoder do you use then?

Jonathan wrote: »
    What encoder do you use then?

There's one built in to Vuze, but you have to manually drag each completed download into the converter bit. Sounds like it's not a big deal but most of my downloads are overnight and I have about 30 minutes to do anything before leaving the house, so one file is all I'd have time to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Guy's,

Is there a sticky or lay mans guide to downloading movies and watching them on your TV?

I'm aware of but not taht familiar with Vuze and XBMC. Can I use a HDMI connected xBox to watch downloaded movies? If I saved movies to a USB stick would the xBox play them? Do I need to download to a laptop and run the movies on the laptop using something like XBMC and somehow output the picture and sound to the TV?

I have an old(ish) laptop I could dedicate to the job but it doesn't have a HDMI output. My TV is a HD Plasma with a good selection of inputs so I'm sure there is some way of making the connection.

Would appreciate any help you can give and/or point me in the direction of a beginners guide!!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Movies that have more than 2 channel stereo need to be downmixed to use on an X Box 360.Best to use a video conversion program such as convertXtoDVD. or try majorgeeks.com for a free one.If you have a fairly new dvd player that's DIVX compatible simply burn the discs as data and the DVD player can read them.Or grab one of the DVD players from Lidl or Aldi-they play anything and even have usb ports.

This thread is for discussion of P2P configuration, not for video codecs or encoders. Asking how to go about downloading films is also very close to the edge of what's allowed. No more off-topic discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Hey quick question downloading off utorrent .. and im on upc and once and a while the internet goes and resets and tired to google some answers but nothing really worked !

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MojoRising

hi all need some help,got kerry broadband last week,good sppeds etc but cant for the life of me get any torrent clients to work?? says ports unavailable,not a techie so forgive me,any help really apreciated
    thanks in advance:confused:

MojoRising wrote: »
    got kerry broadband last week,good sppeds etc but cant for the life of me get any torrent clients to work??

It's quite possible that the ISP is blocking P2P applications/ports. If there's a router, then you need to set up port forwarding. See portforward.com for details. If that fails, the ISP is blocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

I am with Vodafone (fixed line), have a Belkin router and I use uTorrent.

Every time I am torrenting my internet will cut out after a while so I have to reset it before I am able to get on the internet again. I am not sure if my router reaches a speed and cuts out or is it my ISP.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I've started using torrents while abroad in Canada and been d-loading like a squirrel hoards nuts. I'll be back in the country around xmas and I was wondering what hope (if any) would I have of a decent torrent set-up on what will be a midband connection (3 wireless modem)? I'm gonna be coming from what is essentially unlimited, high speed, always-on wireless connections, so I'm expecting a bit of a dip in speeds, to say the least.

Will I have to limit upload/download speeds?

What else might I have to consider about this?

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I've started using torrents while abroad in Canada and been d-loading like a squirrel hoards nuts. I'll be back in the country around xmas and I was wondering what hope (if any) would I have of a decent torrent set-up on what will be a midband connection (3 wireless modem)? I'm gonna be coming from what is essentially unlimited, high speed, always-on wireless connections, so I'm expecting a bit of a dip in speeds, to say the least.

Will I have to limit upload/download speeds?

Good look with using a dongle for torrents-the download cap is pitiful and mega expensive if you exceed the cap,you're better off with fixed line broadband-check and see what's available in your area.DON'T sign up to a contract for mobile broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

CiaranMT wrote: »
    you might have to consider forgetting about it altogether with midband, you just won't have the bandwidth allowance or speed to accomplish anything meaningful with a 3G dongle in ireland, sorry. :(

either make the most of it now and makes friends with someone with broadband or move into a house where they have UPC and get their 15 or 30mbps broadband which *should* be getting a speed increase to 50-60mbps (or 100mbps if you can afford it) in january. no need for a phoneline so you can avoid the usual eircom line rental gubbins too. :)

failing that, get a job with a good internet connection and a lax network policy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

zerks wrote: »
    Good look with using a dongle for torrents-the download cap is pitiful and mega expensive if you exceed the cap,you're better off with fixed line broadband-check and see what's available in your area.DON'T sign up to a contract for mobile broadband.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    you might have to consider forgetting about it altogether with midband, you just won't have the bandwidth allowance or speed to accomplish anything meaningful with a 3G dongle in ireland, sorry. :(

either make the most of it now and makes friends with someone with broadband or move into a house where they have UPC and get their 15 or 30mbps broadband which *should* be getting a speed increase to 50-60mbps (or 100mbps if you can afford it) in january. no need for a phoneline so you can avoid the usual eircom line rental gubbins too. :)

failing that, get a job with a good internet connection and a lax network policy. :D

Hairy sweaty ballsack :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Wow. 80 pages. Suppose I'll just ask at the end if anyone is nice enough to answer.

Using UPC. 30mb package. Only getting 1.0-1.3mb download and about 3-7kb upload.

Ideas?

edit* Using utorrent

• Advertisement

Is it the latest version of Utorrent? I had serious issues with speed before,I upgraded my Utorrent to latest version and it took care of everything.My connection gets maxed out on certain torrents.
    Maybe you need to configure your router and check ports are open.

Advertisement