Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Using 7 Ultimate myself.Ah well I promise to be a good little internet user and won't download anything-i'll just use it for farmville from now on even though i refuse to join facebook.Looks like thats what govt. and companies with vested interests want us to do.People shared stuff for years,the digital era just gives us a different way of doing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Guys using bittorrent and removed some torrents from the GUI, but still have the data and the downloads are not complete. Is there an easy way to reactivate these torrents?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Guys using bittorrent and removed some torrents from the GUI, but still have the data and the downloads are not complete. Is there an easy way to reactivate these torrents?
    Assuming the data is still in the default download directory for your bittorrent client then just redownload the .torrent file and load it in your bittorrent client. It should automatically re-check the data file and resume from where it stopped i.e. if you had 76% complete then it should show that and continue on downloading the remaining 24%.

Note - this is the way it should work. There is the risk that your partially completed download may get over-written and effectively set back to 0%. It's unlikely but possible so maybe backup the incomplete download to another folder first so you don't lose it completely if that happened.

Jonathan wrote: »
    Windows Vista and 7 use it by default.

Any ISP`s using ipv6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi all,

Getting an intermittant connection problem with Zyxel router

In the logs:
    exceeds the max. number of session per host

I know its related to Utorrent, but does anybody know how to change the setting causing this?

Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've noticed that when using p2p over a broadband connection, my web browser is no longer able to retrieve web pages.

After looking into this, I believe it's caused by the TCP/IP network buffer being set too big.

It's explained in more detail here:
    http://n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/info_buffer.html

The problem is, I'm not sure how to change the network buffer size.

Does anyone here have knowledge of how to do this? I'm sure this is something that annoys a lot of broadband users who use P2P.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I had this problem with Bitcomet and surfing, changed to utorrent and issue is no longer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Tea_Bag, your a legend.....the difference in speed and more to the point, consistency / ability to do more than one thing is PHENOMENAL.

UPC (and presumably other ISPs) would save a lot of tech support time any have so many more happy customers if they kept this as standard, its taken me ages to figure this out (with your help of course)!

Hi Guys

Please see above, got loads of help on my old router...now I've moved house, and the house I've moved to uses the Netgear "wgr614v9" router.

I can get into the settings, but cannot for the life of me find where the "ip flood detection" is.....does anyone know if it is located in a different menu, submenu or called something else entirely?

Screengrab attached to show the menu options

Any help much appreciated because my net is back to being slow when I download torrents, and vica-versa.

Cheers!
    Spy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Im based in the midlands does (Digiweb Metro, Permanet and Ripplecom) come under any Eircom umbrella that i can be tracked again?

This is a P2P configuration thread. Keep these posts out of it.

All off-topic posts removed. This is not a place for ISP recommendations, or for info on how to circumvent ISPs blocking of illegal downloads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

im in the exact same boat, am looking for the same option also
    Hi Guys

Please see above, got loads of help on my old router...now I've moved house, and the house I've moved to uses the Netgear "wgr614v9" router.

I can get into the settings, but cannot for the life of me find where the "ip flood detection" is.....does anyone know if it is located in a different menu, submenu or called something else entirely?

Screengrab attached to show the menu options

Any help much appreciated because my net is back to being slow when I download torrents, and vica-versa.

Cheers!
    Spy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I think its under WAN Setup on the left of your screen.

routerdr.jpg

If you tick the box beside disable SPI firewall, it might do the trick. Personally I have the same Netgear model and don't have slow speeds on torrents. I stand to be corrected on the flood detection thing. lJust make sure your ports are forwarded properly.

I was having similar problems until I installed latest version of Utorrent-it took care of port forwarding etc. Speeds are much much better and browsing while downloading isn't slowing down:)

I have already got my computer set up with a static IP address and have ports forwarded correctly - everything is just fine.
    Now I'm getting a second computer - will I set up a brand new (and different ) static IP address for the new computer or configure the same old address for the new machine. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Why would you want two computers with the same IP address? :confused:

Jonathan wrote: »
    Why would you want two computers with the same IP address? :confused:

No reason at all. So set up the second computer with a different address ?

All is well. New computer arrived and set up with 2nd separate IP address. I was confusing myself there more than anything.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hogans4

Thanks a million mate. I've had a new Mac Book Pro for over a month and could not use torrents at all. When I finally got them working I couldnt browse and download. SO happy I can use torrents again!

UTorrent are running an app developers challenge for third parties,should come up with some useful and interesting stuff.
    http://www.utorrent.com/app-developers-challenge
    You can now control your torrents from anywhere now with the app for iphones,ipad and android handsets.http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-web-now-available-on-ipad-and-android-100729/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

zerks wrote: »
    UTorrent are running an app developers challenge for third parties,should come up with some useful and interesting stuff.
    http://www.utorrent.com/app-developers-challenge
    You can now control your torrents from anywhere now with the app for iphones,ipad and android handsets.http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-web-now-available-on-ipad-and-android-100729/
    installed falcon and enabled webUI and tried it there on my HTC Hero, but i cant get past the authentication swipe type thing, without moving my finger across the progress bar for almost 5 min. (and only in the android stock browser, after trying with Opera mini and Dolphin) then it said that my username doesnt exist. tested it onmy PC, and it worked perfectly.

it does look very polished now though, in fairness. i just wish i could use my Hero for utorrent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

anyone have luck with open vpn providers?

hello932 wrote: »
    anyone have luck with open vpn providers?

TUVPN. Been using them for the past 2 months and they offer a brilliant service. Take a read through their FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

What the advantage of open VPN providers guys??

madmoe wrote: »
    What the advantage of open VPN providers guys??

It's more secure than the alternatives (PPTP, namely). It uses a far, far higher standard of encryption, so you're ISP is unable to see what you're up to; they're only able to see the volume of traffic travelling to and from you. A downside is that it's noticeably slower than PPTP (because of the encryption overhead). Don't expect to get, at best, any more than 90% of your actual download/upload speed using OpenVPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

Don't expect to get, at best, any more than 90% of your actual download/upload speed using OpenVPN.

What do you get at worst?

I only rarely get 90% of my speed capability already.:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Fistycuffs wrote: »
    What do you get at worst?

I only rarely get 90% of my speed capability already.:(

Protocol overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

whats the benefit of OpenVPN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

zerks wrote: »

Nice one. I recently got this email from TUVPN-they dont allow p2p anymore!! Thank god i only signed on for a month.

' Dear TUVPN Customers,

Unfortunately we find ourselves needing to write to you all as a result of continued breaches of our terms and conditions.

We have received repeated correspondence from copyright owners concerning the unlawful transmittance of their materials over the TUVPN network. This has specifically focused on our Chicago, London, and Zurich servers.

As a result we are compelled to ban ALL P2P traffic on these servers. We must do this to safeguard the TUVPN network for our responsible customers. Any customer breaching this ban risks their account being closed without notice.

We take pride in providing our customers with an industry leading service, and we enjoy the dialogue we have with our customers as we develop the network to meet everyone’s needs. Further, we take very seriously our professional obligation of safeguarding your life on the Internet. However, our terms and conditions are there for a reason, and we cannot tolerate abuse that risks the network for all.

We appreciate your cooperation and adherence to the ban on all P2P traffic on the aforementioned VPN servers (both for shared and dedicated services).

Sincerely, '

• Advertisement

They just don't allow P2P on the three named servers. It's still ok on all of their other servers.

Advertisement