Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Smyth wrote: »
    Using UPC. 30mb package. Only getting 1.0-1.3mb download and about 3-7kb upload.
    Somewhere up on the top right of this page is a Search this Thread option.
    Type in Flood Protection and have a read of the previous posts on that. It may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Somewhere up on the top right of this page is a Search this Thread option.
    Type in Flood Protection and have a read of the previous posts on that. It may help.
    nothing changed. Still getting 1-2kb upload speed. Seriously screwing my ratio up. Ideas? I forced encryption on uTorrent aswell. Even went as far as to disable the routers firewall.

nothing changed. Still getting 1-2kb upload speed. Seriously screwing my ratio up. Ideas? I forced encryption on uTorrent aswell. Even went as far as to disable the routers firewall.

If you're using a private tracker (you're concerned about ratio) does it say whether you're connectable or not? When you run utorrent's Network tests does it give you a positive result?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

If you're using a private tracker (you're concerned about ratio) does it say whether you're connectable or not? When you run utorrent's Network tests does it give you a positive result?

yeah, checked the port on canyouseeme.org and also passed the utorrent tests. 350kb/s upload is gauged it at.

Any ideas? Still getting the 2-5kb range.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, checked the port on canyouseeme.org and also passed the utorrent tests. 350kb/s upload is gauged it at.

Any ideas? Still getting the 2-5kb range.
    its not something silly like the artificial upload limit (in square brackets in the bottom right of the window border) in utorrent set really low is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

UPC also seem to be throttling youtube and megavideo for me sometimes.

I hate Eircom only since they brought in that pitiful cap but one thing I always liked about them is they never capped anything even after going 3-4 times over the "cap"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

UPC also seem to be throttling youtube and megavideo for me sometimes.
    its more likely to be general network congestion at peak times rather than throttling and may not necessarily be something on the UPC side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

not1but4 wrote: »
    I am with Vodafone (fixed line), have a Belkin router and I use uTorrent.

Every time I am torrenting my internet will cut out after a while so I have to reset it before I am able to get on the internet again. I am not sure if my router reaches a speed and cuts out or is it my ISP.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

Have there been any answers on this issue? The same thing is happening to me. I'm on UPC 15mb with a Belkin router.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have you tried connecting directly to the UPC modem via cable? This site might be some help with regard to the router. http://portforward.com/

Maybe uninstall Utorrent and reinstall it,worked for me strangely-had poor speed before no matter how I configured upload and download settings.The new version does this automatically and haven't had any speed issues since.

After that I'm stumped,maybe the above will work for you.Try a healthy torrent afterwards and see what your speeds are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

duckworth wrote: »

Quote:
    Originally Posted by not1but4 viewpost.gif
    I am with Vodafone (fixed line), have a Belkin router and I use uTorrent.

Every time I am torrenting my internet will cut out after a while so I have to reset it before I am able to get on the internet again. I am not sure if my router reaches a speed and cuts out or is it my ISP.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

Have there been any answers on this issue? The same thing is happening to me. I'm on UPC 15mb with a Belkin router.

I had a similar problem once, it was solved by logging into the modem and disabling IP Flood Detection. No idea how to do this with a Belkin router though, either do a search on boards.ie or flick through your manual if you have one. Hope this is the solution for you, good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Any one got any ideas on this?
    Using Clearwire 2MB package, being a student means cheap internet :o
    I did the speedtest and have a 1.41Mbs download limit and :o0.10Mbps:o upload limit but all i'm getting is at most 2-5kbps download the odd time it might go up to 50kbps:eek: anyone know what I can do?

PS: I've gone through SO many tutorials for port forwarding, new version of bittorrent etc.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Any one got any ideas on this?
    Using Clearwire 2MB package, being a student means cheap internet :o
    I did the speedtest and have a 1.41Mbs download limit and :o0.10Mbps:o upload limit but all i'm getting is at most 2-5kbps download the odd time it might go up to 50kbps:eek: anyone know what I can do?

PS: I've gone through SO many tutorials for port forwarding, new version of bittorrent etc.

Cheers

The problem may not be your internet provider. If your downloading torrents, check all the settings with a fine tooth comb, make sure your download speeds aren't limited, make sure a port is forwarded, so that you can connect to seeders.

When I had slow speeds, I just experimented with some settings, such as enabling upnp port mapping, increasing global number of connections, enabling dht, and now i'm getting some nice speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Hi there thinking of getting Eircom NGB, can't get Chorus, on Imagine at moment it's ****e. Does anyone know if torrents and utorrent downloading works with Eircom broadband? I remember something about eircom blocking all this a few months back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Yes they do work, though pirate bay is explicitly blocked, and i believe theres a three strike policy in place

Cool thanks XP. are they actually implementing that policy? I thought since upc won that case that eircom were refusing to do it or something like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

You could be right, found this when accessing piratebay:

eircom would like to reassure customers that:
    • eircom will not monitor customer’s activities at any stage, nor will it place any monitoring equipment or software on its network in order to facilitate this block.
    • eircom will not provide personal details or any information relating to customers to any third party, including the record companies.

Well fair play to them, that could seal the deal for me so. Thanks again xp.

UPC are slowing down traffic explicitly to youtube and megavideo.

When I go through a vpn its faster, which makes no sense unless UPC are slowing down access to streaming sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

UPC are slowing down traffic explicitly to youtube and megavideo.

When I go through a vpn its faster, which makes no sense unless UPC are slowing down access to streaming sites.

Do a tracert through both vpn and non-vpn connections... it may be a routing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

and post back here please. i would but i dont have access to a VPN.

• Advertisement

It could be - but I only have problems on any streaming sites and only with UPC and its magically faster with a vpn which usually is much slower than going direct.

http://pastie.org/1490091 - contains several traceroutes/tracerts

so non-vpn is dropping packets - ?

Ok i'm wondering if some one can help me, I have been melting my brain trying to figure out why my Bittorrent speeds are so slow! I have gone through every help site, configured everything, changed dl limit, active torrents, port forwarding, you name it I have done it yet when I downoad a torrent the highest it has reached is 50kB/s.

It only stays there for about 5 minutes and drops back down to 0-5kB/s. Can some one/anyone help me with this??:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

What is your connection speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

It all depends on how many people are 'seeding' the file or uploading it.

If the file is not popular or old it will have a low seeding rate.

Sorry I meant to post this after did the speed test, my results are:

Download: 2.07Mp/s
    Upload: 0.10Mbp/s
    Ping: 91ms

LakesKeane wrote: »
    It all depends on how many people are 'seeding' the file or uploading it.

If the file is not popular or old it will have a low seeding rate.
    Even with files that have literally thousands of seeders i'm getting nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

It's not so much about the number of seeders, but the ratio of seeders to leechers.
    If there are twice as many seeders as leechers, you should get good speeds.

Are you sure you don't have filter software / ad blocking software that is stopping connections?

Who is your internet provider?

tagoona wrote: »
    It's not so much about the number of seeders, but the ratio of seeders to leechers.
    If there are twice as many seeders as leechers, you should get good speeds.

Are you sure you don't have filter software / ad blocking software that is stopping connections?

Who is your internet provider?
    I've added Bittorrent as an exception in my firewall and anti-virus, yeah sometimes it's a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio but still nothing. I'm using Clearwire, I know other people with them that are getting up to 500kB/s :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Well since your d/l speed is around 2 Mbps the max download you could theoretically get is about 250kBps anyways.

2Mbps/8 ~ .258kBps

Maybe your isp is throttling p2p ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Anyone on UPC care to test a torrent please? i think its finally happened, im being throttled :0

edit : well seeded torrents are getting upto 5kbps DL and uploading nothing at all.
    FTP a Linux distro from heanet getting me 1600kbps+ on my 20mb package. changed no settings and was working perfect last night.

Advertisement