Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

De Deraco wrote: »
    I am having the same issue aswell were you able to fix it?

thomosn router here on the 100mb line using Mac OSX and transmission. port forwarding in place and transmission says the port is open. only downloading at 700kb roughly seems to go up a bit at times but not by much. Getting 86mb on the upc test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

On UPC's 12mb plan. Supposed to have up to 1.2 mb/s upload speed. Upload speeds on utorrent never go higher than 150 kB/s. Is there something wrong?

EDIT: ah wait, just realised. 1.2 mb/s = 153.6 kB/s. So my uploads are fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

thomosn router here on the 100mb line using Mac OSX and transmission. port forwarding in place and transmission says the port is open. only downloading at 700kb roughly seems to go up a bit at times but not by much. Getting 86mb on the upc test
    can you test your connection on a windows based PC?
    i have a nasty suspicion its OSX. my friend has a mac and ive never been able to get good download speeds on her laptop no matter how hard ive tried.

also guys, not trying to backseat mod here but please please please dont post anything illegal/piracy. we've only got 1 thread here on boards and its always been on the verge of being closed, lets not push it over the edge. looking at ryanch09's screenprint here...

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i have a nasty suspicion its OSX. my friend has a mac and ive never been able to get good download speeds on her laptop no matter how hard ive tried.

also guys, not trying to backseat mod here but please please please dont post anything illegal/piracy. we've only got 1 thread here on boards and its always been on the verge of being closed, lets not push it over the edge. looking at ryanch09's screenprint here...

I might try that over the weekend. Perhaps with win on Mac and see

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Apologies for that :S Just to let ye know i didnt download it I only used it as an example to show my problem :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Nonsense, any pc is a pc and will get the same download or upload speeds.

dunno about that really. different versions of OS can operate slower than others.

dunno about that really. different versions of OS can operate slower than others.

Are you saying that any major version of osx is slower than any version of windows xp onwards?

Because I have heard nonsense about macs before but come on. If I download from australia, it will be slower than downloading from dublin no matter the os.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I set up port forwarding and i get good results on my 25meg connection with mac osx.
    Using Clearbits.net license free media.

huggs2 wrote: »
    I set up port forwarding and i get good results on my 25meg connection with mac osx.
    Using Clearbits.net license free media.

100meg here and uch improved since adding airport extreme to dmz on thompson and the portforward

• Advertisement

as i said in my post, it was a suspicion not fact. ive no concrete evidence to back up my claim, but what i do have to go by is a 2006 macbook and a 2007 macbook pro both of which cant touch my pc or htpc on download speeds, all of which were using wireless, tested using utorrent (which has been in beta for an awfully long time on OSX -> wonder why?) and transmission, on very well seeded torrents.

Im getting 1.869 MB/sec on that file on 10.6 using frostwire on a 20Mbps connection.

Right, so bottom line absolutely no basis. As I thought. Unless you tested on the same torrents with the same seeds/leeches then you cant hint at it being an os problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not at all. the only nonsense is your statement.

since you can get vastly different results using two different torrent clients on the exact same system, it's not too much of a stretch to see a different torrent client on a different OS show different results.

add to that the dozen's of different configuration options within both the OS ad the client itself that can also make a huge difference (on the same client on the same machine) to your download speeds and there's clearly plenty of evidence to support the idea.

Im getting 1.869 MB/sec on that file on 10.6 using frostwire on a 20Mbps connection.

Right, so bottom line absolutely no basis. As I thought. Unless you tested on the same torrents with the same seeds/leeches then you cant hint at it being an os problem.
    there is a huge difference between 20mb and 100mb and what each of us refer to as good speeds. for the record, 1.9mbps is slow for me.

EurasianBadger's setup is the only one disproving my theory so far, and he isnt using the stock thomson but an apple branded router in dmz...

EurasianBadger, could you test the same torrent again connecting to the thomson directly without the airport extreme?

EDIT: so far im peaking at 6.9mbps on that torrent mentioned on my HTPC. no mac to test on at the moment though, but ill have a mbp on tuesday FWIW.

Configuration issues - yes.
    OS issue no.

1.9mbps is different to 1.9MB/s….

there is a huge difference between 20mb and 100mb and what each of us refer to as good speeds. for the record, 1.9mbps is slow for me.

EurasianBadger's setup is the only one disproving my theory so far, and he isnt using the stock thomson but an apple branded router in dmz...

EurasianBadger, could you test the same torrent again connecting to the thomson directly without the airport extreme?

EDIT: so far im peaking at 6.9mbps on that torrent mentioned on my HTPC. no mac to test on at the moment though, but ill have a mbp on tuesday FWIW.

using just the thomson with cat5. using i3 MBP on Lion

OS issue no.
    oh yes, of course. assuming you just completely ignore the fact that two different torrent clients running in two totally different OS's aren't both going to have the exact same configuration options available to them. :rolleyes:

There is a lot less peers on that - wait a while to see if it balances out.

looks like we can confirm that the thompson sucks then. :)

just out of curiosity, do you have a windows pc to test directly with the thompson?

vibe666 wrote: »
    oh yes, of course. assuming you just completely ignore the fact that two different torrent clients running in two totally different OS's aren't both going to have the exact same configuration options available to them. :rolleyes:

looks like we can confirm that the thompson sucks then.

If you follow the thread there would be similar setups across os's. What do you think would cause such a dramatic drop in speed because this person is using a mac.
    As you rolleyes, I am curious now. Please tell me.

Oh yes ignore the actual torrent set up as it has less peers, but focus on what would be minor differences in setup on an os.

• Advertisement

OS issue no.

1.9mbps is different to 1.9MB/s….

we both know what MB im talking about :rolleyes:

my configuration in utorrent across all my machines are identical.
    hardware wise the macs are at a disadvantage, but a core2duo (and better in the mbp) should run utorrent just as well as an i5 2500k and an AMD phenom quad. its not taxing at all, so that leaves software... OSX namely.

ninja edit. thought it was a different torrent cause i read the size wrong.

If you follow the thread there would be similar setups across os's. What do you think would cause such a dramatic drop in speed because this person is using a mac.
    As you rolleyes, I am curious now. Please tell me.

Oh yes ignore the actual torrent set up as it has less peers, but focus on what would be minor differences in setup on an os.
    I'm not talking specifically about using a mac, i'm talking about the fact that there are fundamental differences in the way that different OS's handle the transmission of data across a network that can't be changed by the user and this goes for (some) different versions of the same OS almost as much as it does for different OS's.

even if your programming skills were up to the task of decompiling the TCP stack for both OSX and Windows and then modifying them so every component is 100% identical (which you couldn't, even if you had the skills), what works well for Windows might not necessarily work well for OSX, so there are always going to be differences that will affect how each one works and there is no way around that.

even if you were to sit a Windows XP machine next to an identical Windows 7 machine with the same torrent client downloading the same torrent at the same time, you would never get the same results.

Ye, as I said what actual things have you seen that would account for such a drop in speed?

I know there will be minor differences, as there will be for time of day you download and countless other factors.
    You could sit side by side with two identical xp machines and not get the same result.

But what would cause such a huge drop in speed that would be an os/user setup issue?

Ye, as I said what actual things have you seen that would account for such a drop in speed?

I know there will be minor differences, as there will be for time of day you download and countless other factors.
    You could sit side by side with two identical xp machines and not get the same result.

But what would cause such a huge drop in speed that would be an os/user setup issue?
    in this particular case it looks like the thompson router just doesn't want to play nice with the mac in question. whether or not it's specific to a configuration issue on that mac, or it's torrent client, or something on the router is still an unanswered question, but tbh who's going to even bother investigating it when they already have a workaround (i.e. the airport) that works perfectly?

in this particular case it looks like the thompson router just doesn't want to play nice with the mac in question. whether or not it's specific to a configuration issue on that mac, or it's torrent client, or something on the router is still an unanswered question, but tbh who's going to even bother investigating it when they already have a workaround (i.e. the airport) that works perfectly?

albeit a fiddly one

albeit a fiddly one
    howso?

do you just mean having two boxes connected instead of one or messing with the settings to get it working properly?

the first thing i did when i got my thompson was to turn off everything on it and connect it to my own router. :)

Arg I'm dying to put a good router behind my network but can't justify spending more on my setup.
    Vibe, get the letter saying the price is coming down to €50 from September? Happy days :)

Arg I'm dying to put a good router behind my network but can't justify spending more on my setup.
    Vibe, get the letter saying the price is coming down to €50 from September? Happy days :)
    yep, got it yesterday. hard to complain really. :)

shouldn't you be in bed? :p

yep, got it yesterday. hard to complain really. :)

shouldn't you be in bed? :p
    shouldnt you???
    no rest for the wicked :D

i work in the evening and finish at 1am so im usually up till 5 anyway...

...and were well off topic....

to get steered in the right direction... i hate how torrents slow down when you get to the end of the file, and sometimes drops to a few kbps. anyway to get around this?

• Advertisement

shouldnt you???
    no rest for the wicked :D

i work in the evening and finish at 1am so im usually up till 5 anyway...
    my wife is in labour, so i'm at a bit of a loose end in between contractions. :)
    to get steered in the right direction... i hate how torrents slow down when you get to the end of the file, and sometimes drops to a few kbps. anyway to get around this?
    i can't say for sure, but it's probably just finishing building the finished torrent and re-checking the whole thing and re-downloading any little bits that got corrupted.

Advertisement