Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Vodafone are throttling atm, I started one this evening that maxed out straight away but now won't exceed 10kB/s.
    I ran a Speedtest & everything was full whack.:confused:

No throttling for me,I max out my connection on well seeded torrents.Looks like a problem on your end rather than Vodafone throttling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

hey guys,

I have just had UPC installed in my new apartment.

Could someone point me in the right direction to get the best performance from Vuze for downloading torrents.

Wanna make sure im getting the best performance from my connection.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

vuze is fat, slow and buggy, so the best way is to stop using vuze and move to a decent torrent client like one of the older builds of utorrent (ignore the new versions, go for anything prior to v3). my personal favourite is 2.2.1 build 25110, but everyone is different. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Are most people using a VPN to download torrents now, if so which one is the best.

nope, not until i get caught doing something i'm not supposed to be doing, but at that point if it comes down to it, i'll probably get a decent newsgroup sub instead, rather than pay for a vpn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Vodafone are throttling atm, I started one this evening that maxed out straight away but now won't exceed 10kB/s.
    I ran a Speedtest & everything was full whack.:confused:

what torrent software are you using? just switched to vodafone and I dont even get prompted to open or save the torrent when I click on download.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MillieJ

I was told by a friend from work that there are browsers that already include torrent clients. Anyone had any experience with such?

She mentioned "Wiso" and "Torch", but I'm not sure what they are or where to get them. I just don't want to start messing with a separate torrent client if I can help it...

Mill

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

MillieJ wrote: »
    I was told by a friend from work that there are browsers that already include torrent clients. Anyone had any experience with such?

She mentioned "Wiso" and "Torch", but I'm not sure what they are or where to get them. I just don't want to start messing with a separate torrent client if I can help it...

Mill

She probably means that there are browser addons that let you download torrents. For example you can get uTorrent for Google Chrome now. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jjhaafelbmbpohgmabippkndaaikgdih

Didn't know about a utorrent extension... lol =)
    but no - apparently its a browser with a built-in torrent:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Browsers/Torch-Browser.shtml

I'll try it and tell you how it goes...

Ok, here goes:

I tried torch as a main browser for a week now, and it's quite nice. =)

Basically, it's just like Chrome only with a couple useful features added to it - a Video button for quick download of online videos, and a built in torrent.
    (There's also a Share button for quick sharing of the current page on facebook, but that's a pretty simple feature - so not that interesting...)

Video - catches videos from youtube and other services pretty good. I also managed to download videos from vimeo, dailymotion, etc. It downloads in the format used by the website, so you can't really choose which format you want. But - if you view the video in a higher resolution it will download in that higher resolution as well.

Torrent - the nice thing here is that you can download torrents just like any other file, and that you don't need an external torrent client. Even with magnet links - you click on them and that's it. The client is quite simple, so I don't think it's a perfect replacement for things like utorrent or vuse, but it should be perfect for users who don't want to complicate torrent handling...
    Speed was ok...

All in all - it looks ok. A bit crashy, but my Chrome crashes too sometimes...

Cheers!
    Mill

P.S.
    If anyone else cares to give it a try - I'll be glad to hear what you thought =)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MurderFace

googled the zyxel p660hw-t1 v3 bittorrent flood protection problem and i was led here, decided to investigate my own modems settings and i found a tab under firewall called thresholds, looks like some sort of ip flood protection but my understanding of the settings wasnt too great so i just turned off the firewall and bittorrent was working fine and i could also browse so i left it off and stuck a software firewall onto my box which is working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

1337 haXX0r ^^^

ah gway out of that, at least i didnt succumb to "just get a new modem"

Look at the number of your post...

And? Didnt realise my post count had anything to do with bittorrent :rolleyes:

Oh nevermind...

OHHHHHHHH i just seen it there lolz :pac:

MurderFace wrote: »
    googled the zyxel p660hw-t1 v3 bittorrent flood protection problem and i was led here, decided to investigate my own modems settings and i found a tab under firewall called thresholds, looks like some sort of ip flood protection but my understanding of the settings wasnt too great so i just turned off the firewall and bittorrent was working fine and i could also browse so i left it off and stuck a software firewall onto my box which is working fine.
    disabling your router's firewall is a very bad idea and a software firewall on your pc is no substitute for the firewall on your router.
    ah gway out of that, at least i didnt succumb to "just get a new modem"
    30-40 quid will get you a decent router that will last for years and can run custom firmwares like ddwrt or tomato which will solve all your problems.

ISP's generally give out cheap, crappy routers/modems with very few useful features. turning off the router's firewall to get around a problem with bittorrent is like taking the doors off a crappy car because they don't open properly and you have trouble getting in and out. it might solve your immediate problem, but it isn't safe. "get a car with better doors" is much better advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

could you recommend a router? I'm having a similar problem and only have the bog standard router from the supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Using uTorrent? Getting bored while waiting for your files to finish downloading? Why not play some Tetris. Go to your uTorrent window, click on Help -> About uTorrent and when that window appears hit CTRL+T on your keyboard and voila! Good old Tetris :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Dr. Ego

Like my learned friend above, MurderFace, I've just installed a Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 & appear to have the same issue.
    Once I run utorrent all browsers becomes unusable, all connections time out.
    After the download finishes I remove the seeding file & exit utorrent the problem still persists.
    I have to reboot the router & the PC to regain connections.

Any ideas beyond turning off my firewall ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

what settings should i use in utorrent to get the best speeds? 50mb upc internet with epc 3925 modem..just got it yesterday and just cant get good speeds with it :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Dr. Ego

Dr. Ego wrote: »
    Like my learned friend above, MurderFace, I've just installed a Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 & appear to have the same issue.
    Once I run utorrent all browsers becomes unusable, all connections time out.
    After the download finishes I remove the seeding file & exit utorrent the problem still persists.
    I have to reboot the router & the PC to regain connections.

Any ideas beyond turning off my firewall ?
    Thanks

I'm typing this as I torrent so I've had some success after a bit of googling.

Go Network - Nat - Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User
    I doubled mine from 512 to 1028

Then go Security - Firewall & set to Low

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

MarkY91 wrote: »
    what settings should i use in utorrent to get the best speeds? 50mb upc internet with epc 3925 modem..just got it yesterday and just cant get good speeds with it :(

Hi Mark. did you have any joy getting this set up?
    I've been googling and digging around for a good while now and I think i may have made my own situation worse :(
    Would love a simple set of screenshots

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Hi Mark. did you have any joy getting this set up?
    I've been googling and digging around for a good while now and I think i may have made my own situation worse :(
    Would love a simple set of screenshots

uTorrent settings on their own won't get you good speeds.

The trick is to

1. Dedicate a port specifically for uTorrent (say 65320)

2. Set a static IP

3. Open that port (Forward it using the static IP on your router) to allow traffic flow.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

uTorrent settings on their own won't get you good speeds.

The trick is to

1. Dedicate a port specifically for uTorrent (say 65320)

2. Set a static IP

3. Open that port (Forward it using the static IP on your router) to allow traffic flow.

-

Thanks,
    That is what I've been trying to do, and have followed online guide on Port Forwarding. But port still shows as closed. Based on all the guides around fro bridging the EPC3925, I'm getting the feeling it's a POS and just doesn't accept port forwarding or anything of the likes.
    Could be a different issue altogether too though, I'll have another look at the weekend.
    It's mad, when I was 15 I'm pretty sure I understood all this stuff :rolleyes:

When you forward/open a port for uTorrent and you use something like CanYouSeeMe.org to check if it's open, you must also have uTorrent running while the check is being done, are you aware of that? If uTorrent is closed when you do the check the port will show as not open.

The EPC3925 does allow you to open\forward ports, I'm using one and it's working fine.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

When you forward/open a port for uTorrent and you use something like CanYouSeeMe.org to check if it's open, you must also have uTorrent running while the check is being done, are you aware of that? If uTorrent is closed when you do the check the port will show as not open.

The EPC3925 does allow you to open\forward ports, I'm using one and it's working fine.

Ah, i see :o

When i checked the port (using Port Forward Check) with uTorrent running, the utility said that the port was being used by another program. When i close uTorrent then, it manages to connect partially, but says it was unable to ping router.
    I'll have another goo at weekend and report back with more intelligible questions.
    Cheers

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Ah, i see :o

When i checked the port (using Port Forward Check) with uTorrent running, the utility said that the port was being used by another program. When i close uTorrent then, it manages to connect partially, but says it was unable to ping router.
    I'll have another goo at weekend and report back with more intelligible questions.
    Cheers

What OS are you using?

Have you set a static IP correctly?

What port number have you set in uTorrent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 jonqwe

didn't find that netopia router i thought i had and didn't have any look on the zyxel router... what router did you get (as a back up plan if vodafone don't send me one!)

EDIT: found netopia router, torrents and web now working side by side so for anybody using a Zxyel router with torrents... don't! My torrent speed is varying quite a bit but does hit >200 kb/s... 220 was my max when downloading via raidshare etc. Have to get used to the whole torrent scene again now! switched to jdownloader when eircom brought in three strike rule, stayed with it even when on vodafone as found it handy! So now i've came crawling back, with megaupload gone and rapidshare limiting speeds to 30kb/s!

Anyone with Zyxel torrent crawling
    do the usual port fowarding
    and this http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/support/knowledge_base/kb_detail_7330.shtml
    works great for me
    or just go to security>firewall>settings>custom>default action and permit everything (not recomended)

Advertisement