Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards WWE Draft spectacular!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

10.30 p.m suits me to a tee..Playin poker so will be on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think 24hrs is a fair time limit but if someone misses their turn a PM should be sent and they should be allowed return and pick anybody unpicked. It would help the game run smoother IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

are peoples picks up for grabs if they get eliminated?

I would say no. I know that would be a bit harsh on those who have kept up with the challenge though.
    Minto wrote:
    Another question or two, I've started looking through wikipedia for picks, anyway, how far are we going back? Until '54 or '63? Also, if we have to have a tag team, do they actually have to have teamed together or can the team be fantasy?

I would suggest it could go back as far as the creation of the WWWF which I think was '63 as you say.

For tag teams, they can't be fantasy teams. They have to have been recognised tag teams.

callaway92 wrote:
    10.30 p.m suits me to a tee..Playin poker so will be on this

Right so. That sounds like a good time to do it.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    I think 24hrs is a fair time limit but if someone misses their turn a PM should be sent and they should be allowed return and pick anybody unpicked. It would help the game run smoother IMO

I'd be fine with that although I think if people persistently miss turns it would get a bit ridiculous PMing after them which is why I think a second miss of a pick should mean elimination.

Originally Posted by Minto
    Another question or two, I've started looking through wikipedia for picks, anyway, how far are we going back? Until '54 or '63? Also, if we have to have a tag team, do they actually have to have teamed together or can the team be fantasy?

I think this is a better way of looking at it (i could be getting it all wrong, but i think it works like this)

Imagine Vince was creating a 4th brand, you can take any wrestlers in WWE history, and using their past, you have to compete with the rest of us, to convince vince that your roster would be superior.

So dream teams wouldn't be allowed, and you'd have to base everything off real life's past.

eg:

"Jeff would be good because he does plenty of high spots which keep the crowd entertained, is a big name so can sell his fair share of tickets, has teamed with matt, bubba ray, triple H and others so he is easy to work with amongst the brand, plus he's main evented and been a curtain-jerker so he's flexible and wont get in a mood if hes not in the spotlight."

Those would all be positive points you could make about him if you picked him.

But like i say, i still dont know if i've got the grasp of the game yet, so dont take my word for it.

• Advertisement

I think this is a better way of looking at it (i could be getting it all wrong, but i think it works like this)

Imagine Vince was creating a 4th brand, you can take any wrestlers in WWE history, and using their past, you have to compete with the rest of us, to convince vince that your roster would be superior.

So dream teams wouldn't be allowed, and you'd have to base everything off real life's past.

eg:

"Jeff would be good because he does plenty of high spots which keep the crowd entertained, is a big name so can sell his fair share of tickets, has teamed with matt, bubba ray, triple H and others so he is easy to work with amongst the brand, plus he's main evented and been a curtain-jerker so he's flexible and wont get in a mood if hes not in the spotlight."

Those would all be positive points you could make about him if you picked him.

But like i say, i still dont know if i've got the grasp of the game yet, so dont take my word for it.

That's more Around the Horn territory. TBH, the way these things tend to work out is that some of the rosters become much stronger early on and everybody knows which ones are the best, and that's when everybody starts arguing over the positives and the negatives. Quite simply best roster wins and most people will haves aces up their sleeves (I know that I have 1 that will certainly be stolen)

Just a question for MNG, does potential ability and age come into this at all. I.E. could you argue that Brock Lesnar and the Rock for example, reached the height of their wrestling careers at a remarkably young age while ignoring the way they turned their back on the business, and just assume that they could have had the longevity of a Hogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Minto wrote: »
    Another question or two, I've started looking through wikipedia for picks, anyway, how far are we going back? Until '54 or '63?

Minto's getting ready to break out the Hackensmith and Gotch :D

VR!

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Just a question for MNG, does potential ability and age come into this at all. I.E. could you argue that Brock Lesnar and the Rock for example, reached the height of their wrestling careers at a remarkably young age while ignoring the way they turned their back on the business, and just assume that they could have had the longevity of a Hogan?

I think the way it would work is you compare the guys at the height of their careers. For example, I noticed someone on the soccer thread choosing Damien Duff when he was in awesome form around 2005 and saying at that time he was as good as any player who had played for Chelsea.

So I guess if someone was to choose Rock or Lesnar then you take them at the points when they were at the height of their careers and make a case for why they are useful to your roster. I guess for Lesnar you'd argue he is a freak of nature, Rock's great charisma etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Minto's getting ready to break out the Hackensmith and Gotch :D

VR!

Yea, why not. You've thought me to appreciate the classics, lol!

I haven't taught you nearly enough yet, young Minto! Give me time :D
    Someday, you'll become Zen Master!
    VR!

• Advertisement

Ok folks this is the order of the first round draw.

1. Minto
    2. Furious-Red
    3. ec18
    4. dez_warlock
    5. RebelRockChick
    6. Vince135792003
    7. Spongey1975
    8. michael.etc
    9. Jayhaitch 2
    10. b.ie curious
    11. KKV
    12. Mr. Nice Guy
    13. Fozzy
    14. Bounty Hunter
    15. john concannon
    16. Bubs 101
    17. callaway92
    18. gimmick
    19. justbringit89
    20. orestes

I might edit this order for the front page although gimmick mentioned that after a fe days you can't do this so maybe in future Fozzy can post up the new orders if it will help people out.

So then to clarify, Minto will have first draft pick, Furious-Red the 2nd draft pick and so on until we get to orestes at number 20. We have agreed on holding another draw for round 2 to determine the order for the round 2 picks (although that's not confirmed yet so if you disagree with this idea, it's open for discussion)

A general recap on the rules:

- Everyone will have ten picks. You must wait your turn.
    - Anyone who has wrestled in the WWE over the years is up for selection
    - Once a wrestler is picked they are unavailable to everyone else
    - You are required to have at least one tag team
    - You are required to have at least one female for your roster
    - Stables aren't allowed. No DX, Evolution, NWO etc.
    - You have 24 hours to make your pick. If you fail to pick anyone then your turn is skipped and I will PM you as a reminder. If it happens a second time you will face elimination as we need to keep it fair on regular followers.

That's a basic summary. The first page is more detailed. If you're unsure about anything feel free to ask a question in the thread. Also, there will be no trading of wrestlers. You get what you pick. :D

OK then Minto. Make your pick when ready.

Edit: One more thing, when making your selection try to make it interesting by adding a picture, giving your reasons for your pick etc.

If you look how they did it on this soccer forum it was really well presented:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=4119155&postcount=2

Let's all try and do likewise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Number 14: methinks ill be picking tommorow

plus in advance good stuff on doing this MNG 7pages before we even start methinks this is going to be a big thread for you to keep your eye on.

No.17 :(

plus in advance good stuff on doing this MNG 7pages before we even start methinks this is going to be a big thread for you to keep your eye on.

Lloyd on the football forum heartily recommended a discussion thread as well to make it easier to manage, but that's probably not necessary in the first round. Not happy with my 16 :o

Minto got paid apparently, and MNG got his paycheque.
    Be careful dude, i've heard Minto's cheques are made of rubber.

VR!

Ok, since I got first pick, I'm gonna pick....

Triple H

Shocked? I doubt it, lol! Furious-Red, its your go!

EDIT: Happy now, MNG?

EDIT 2: (copied from my post below)
    I picked Triple H for a few reasons: one, he is my favorite wrestler and has been for years. Two, if I was to build a promotion of my own, I'd want to have him to help build stars (no burying jokes please) and he's pretty solid in the ring. Thirdly, I picked him tactically, if I have him, no one else can have him!

I did think about making a very different, more shocking/questinoablr first choice, but I'm 99.9% sure (s)he'll still be available for my second pick, so I went for Hunter!

Minto got paid apparently, and MNG got his paycheque.
    Be careful dude, i've heard Minto's cheques are made of rubber.

VR!

Shhhhhhhhhhhh! I won't be paid til tonight!

Minto, you're supposed to add a picture or something. At least give reasons for your pick. Honestly I appreciate the money and all but I'd appreciate that more. ;)

But anyways first draft pick is Triple H. He is now unavailable for everybody else.

Furious-Red will have until this time tomorrow night to make his pick or face losing his turn. Hopefully though he'll pick it soon enough and we can all crack on.

If you have 24 hours I wouldnt be surprised if the last 10 people had to wait till at least Saturday or Sunday

callaway92 wrote: »
    If you have 24 hours I wouldnt be surprised if the last 10 people had to wait till at least Saturday or Sunday

I won't be too bothered as long as the 15 people before me continue to pick the likes of Triple H. The only reason I think he did it is to piss of VR before the next podcast

• Advertisement

I have like 5 picks in mind and I know that they will all be picked :(

Triple H was an obvious choice.

Wow.. out of WWE history.. Triple H goes first. Insane.

Anyway, I'm numero eleven-o :) And i believe my first choice wrestler is blatantly obvious to everyone.. so i'll just have to see how it all goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

And i believe my first choice wrestler is blatantly obvious to everyone..

I might just pick Kane first to screw with you ala Matt Hughes/Joe Scarola deal on the Ultimate Fighter show from last year for those that remember it.

I might just pick Kane to screw with you ala Matt Hughes/Joe Scarola deal on the Ultimate Fighter show from last year for those that remember it.

Ha ha, vince is getting tactical folks! The WWE Fantasy Championship wasn't enough, he wants the Draft title aswel!

Ha ha, vince is getting tactical folks! The WWE Fantasy Championship wasn't enough, he wants the Draft title aswel!

And the Inaugural winner of the Around the Horn/Master of the board competition. What a worthwhile life I lead.

Your first pick could have been a bit more exciting too by the way! And we're still looking for your reasons as to why out of everyone that's ever appeared in the WWE, he is your number one pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Damn, we should have invited triple h on board for this!

Fozzy wrote: »
    Damn, we should have invited triple h on board for this!

Yeah, where is that guy?
    VR!

Your first pick could have been a bit more exciting too by the way! And we're still looking for your reasons as to why out of everyone that's ever appeared in the WWE, he is your number one pick.

I didn't think we had to give reasons til the end, but I'll speak up now. I picked Triple H for a few reasons: one, he is my favorite wrestler and has been for years. Two, if I was to build a promotion of my own, I'd want to have him to help build stars (no burying jokes please) and he's pretty solid in the ring. Thirdly, I picked him tactically, if I have him, no one else can have him!

I did think about making a very different, more shocking/questinoablr first choice, but I'm 99.9% sure (s)he'll still be available for my second pick, so I went for Hunter!

Yeah, where is that guy?
    VR!

Star Trek board last I heard! I miss him really (along with kenbtonbomb, lol)!

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm debating whether to go with the unpredictable or not. It really comes down to whether I think other posters will spot what to me is the "value" pick of the draft in the first round.

Advertisement