Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards WWE Draft spectacular!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

]
    I'm involved with it and I've spoken about the idea with Fozzy and he's up for it too. That means we need 18 more participants to make up the numbers. We'll then mix the names at random and whoever is first will have the first pick, whoever is second will make their second pick etc. and so on until we get to the twentieth person. Then we will commence round 2 and start the second picks.

The rules seem fine apart from this. Should it not go up to 20 and then back down from 20 to 1, otherwise the people at the second end of the spectrum are at a massive disadvantage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    The rules seem fine apart from this. Should it not go up to 20 and then back down from 20 to 1, otherwise the people at the second end of the spectrum are at a massive disadvantage

They're not really at that much of a disadvantage after the first round of picks. By the time the first person makes their second pick there's 19 other wrestlers chosen that they can't pick. And those will probably be the very best picks, the next few rounds will be from guys around the same level. I don't see any problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

If it goes from 1 - 20 and then 20 - 1, then person number 1 will have to wait out 38 goes (I think) between picks. If we do it as
    originally concieved, each person will only wait 20 picks! Seems fairer that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Trust me man, I'm on this site a lot so will definitely have the time for it.

Ok mate. I added you.

On the issue of the choice selection, I don't think it's too bad really. There have been so many big names in WWE over the years that everyone will get a big star name. The real tough part will come when the big names are taken and that's when people will have to get a bit creative with their picks.

8 spots still to be filled. I would hope VR puts his name forward because he's pretty knowledgeable about WWE history and could come up with some interesting selections I reckon.

Fozzy wrote: »
    They're not really at that much of a disadvantage after the first round of picks. By the time the first person makes their second pick there's 19 other wrestlers chosen that they can't pick. And those will probably be the very best picks, the next few rounds will be from guys around the same level. I don't see any problem

But realistically, there's around 10 people you could argue that could be picked at number 1. When you get to number 20 there'll be no Hogan, no Flair, no Bret, No HBK and no Rock. You'd be lucky to even get a HHH. There's a big gap between the top tier and the second in my view and a reverse order would address that

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    But realistically, there's around 10 people you could argue that could be picked at number 1. When you get to number 20 there'll be no Hogan, no Flair, no Bret, No HBK and no Rock. You'd be lucky to even get a HHH. There's a big gap between the top tier and the second in my view and a reverse order would address that

How? Number 20 still won't be able to pick those guys. It's the luck of the draw!

Fozzy wrote: »
    How? Number 20 still won't be able to pick those guys. It's the luck of the draw!

But that's the point. Picks 1 and 40 are equal to 20 and 21, there's a big difference between 1 and 21 to 20 and 40. Sure it's not that big of a deal anyway. Only a 50% chance I'll be in the bottom half;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Can I put my name down for this?

I think I get the general premise but will have a good read tonight and tomorrow through the rules in depth and go through the soccer thread to get a better understanding, it's just a bit late at night to try to understand it completely :o

orestes wrote: »
    Can I put my name down for this?

I think I get the general premise but will have a good read tonight and tomorrow through the rules in depth and go through the soccer thread to get a better understanding, it's just a bit late at night to try to understand it completely :o

Ok man I will add you.

Don't worry if it seems a bit hard to comprehend. I was the same when I first saw the soccer one. If you need to find about something, feel free to ask.

7 spots remaining everyone. ;)

Ok man I will add you.

Don't worry if it seems a bit hard to comprehend. I was the same when I first saw the soccer one. If you need to find about something, feel free to ask.

7 spots remaining everyone. ;)

Cool, thanks man. I'll have a better read of it tomorrow when the brain isn't as tired.

Actually, are managers eligible?

• Advertisement

Actually, are managers eligible?

I hadn't thought about that but I don't see why not if people want to pick them. So yeah let's say they are but they're not a mimimum requirement like for example having at least one tag team or at least one female wrestler.

I might just add that to the rules actually. :cool:

I hadn't thought about that but I don't see why not if people want to pick them. So yeah let's say they are but they're not a mimimum requirement like for example having at least one tag team or at least one female wrestler.

I might just add that to the rules actually. :cool:

Cool.

What about factions? If you have every member of a faction on your list, can you form the faction?

I am aware that although I am trying to make things clearer I am probably just making them more complicated :o

What about factions? If you have every member of a faction on your list, can you form the faction?

Factions aren't allowed. For example you can't pick Evolution. If however you wanted to try and pick each individual member of that group and try to form it, you could do so but there's no guarantee the guy you plan on picking next won't be picked by someone else.

So if for example you picked HHH in the hope to form Evolution, someone else could end up picking Ric Flair as their choice and your plan would be scuppered. ;)
    orestes wrote:
    I am aware that although I am trying to make things clearer I am probably just making them more complicated :o

No that's fine. Sure if you read the whole thread we're making it up as we go along. :D

It will work out fine though here's hoping...

Factions aren't allowed. For example you can't pick Evolution. If however you wanted to try and pick each individual member of that group and try to form it, you could do so but there's no guarantee the guy you plan on picking next won't be picked by someone else.

So if for example you picked HHH in the hope to form Evolution, someone else could end up picking Ric Flair as their choice and your plan would be scuppered. ;)

Cool, that's what I was wondering, like if you happen to have every member of a faction can you form it. Being able to pick an entire faction as a single pick would just be ridiculous, but people trying to scupper each other forming factions could end up with some interesting results. Cheers

See, this confuses me. If, say, i have to defend my roster against Orestes, what format does it take?

make-your-own-storyline format? where i say "i could put edge with undertaker and create the canadian deadmen"

or is it just debating how good the wrestler would be to the overall brand?

"well yes, i can see what you mean when you say your Shawn Michaels can work a match with anyone, but my Hulk Hogan can draw a bigger crowd without wrestling at all, so i'd be more likely to sell more tickets based on that point alone".

Cos i think this may turn very confusing :(

Regardless, I dont mind making things up as we go along. Thats how i live my life :)

See, this confuses me. If, say, i have to defend my roster against Orestes, what format does it take?

make-your-own-storyline format? where i say "i could put edge with undertaker and create the canadian deadmen"

or is it just debating how good the wrestler would be to the overall brand?

"well yes, i can see what you mean when you say your Shawn Michaels can work a match with anyone, but my Hulk Hogan can draw a bigger crowd without wrestling at all, so i'd be more likely to sell more tickets based on that point alone".

Cos i think this may turn very confusing :(

Regardless, I dont mind making things up as we go along. Thats how i live my life :)

Storylines wouldn't come into it. The point of the challenge is to see who comes up with the most impressive roster overall. There are various strategies people could adopt to achieve this. It wouldn't be about comparing Michaels with Hogan but assessing ALL of the picks and seeing whose roster overall offers the most interesting package.

Some people might go down the road of trying to pick 'star value' names like Hogan, whereas others might try and go for those who offer the best from an in-ring perspective like Michaels.

Both are fine strategies but it will be up to everyone to make their case and determine who made the most impressive line-up.

I would guess that a roster which ultimately makes up both 'star value' names and offers impressive wrestling ability would be the best roster but that remains to be seen.

Well i guess thats all the nit-picking i can do. :)

Sounds good. So long as I win I'm happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I'm in. Now that I'm a working stiff I have all the free time in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Come on people, sign up. Let's get this going!~!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Yeah O'M IN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I'll give it a go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

I'm mostly a lurker (ooh that sounds seedy) but i'd be into this, if lurkers are accepted:o(hides eyes in lurker shame)

I'll give it a go as well.
    jayhaitch2 wrote: »
    I'm mostly a lurker (ooh that sounds seedy) but i'd be into this, if lurkers are accepted:o(hides eyes in lurker shame)

I've added the both of you so I hope you'll both be able to keep up with it?

Only three spots left. Hopefully we can get this set up today. Come on folks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I was just thinking, at the end each person could give 1 vote on who they think has the best roster (other than their own) and that way a winner could be declared. Sound good or too complicated?

I was just thinking, at the end each person could give 1 vote on who they think has the best roster (other than their own) and that way a winner could be declared. Sound good or too complicated?

Maybe the best two or three could be chosen by each person. Because you're more likely to end up with a draw using only one vote. Better than using a poll anyway, that wouldn't work

It's a good idea but It would be tough to make the poll because I don't thin you can do 20 options? I think a discussion thread is a must so as to keep the draft pick thread full of draft picks only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

One more question, not sure if it was asked already, but if I choose Ric Flair, do I get the Flair who styled and profiled his way through the 80s or the shadow he was in WCW around 2000? Basically, I'm asking are the guys valued at their peak?

Minto wrote:
    One more question, not sure if it was asked already, but if I choose Ric Flair, do I get the Flair who styled and profiled his way through the 80s or the shadow he was in WCW around 2000? Basically, I'm asking are the guys valued at their peak?

It's guys in their peak so if someone chooses Hogan for example they get the Hogan from the eighties and not the guy that makes sporadic appearances these days. :)

On the issue of selecting the winner, wasn't something done before on this forum, I think maybe it was by Vince, where we had to pick three things and you got points for each pick? Maybe it was to decide wrestler of the year? I can't remember. Perhaps something like that would work. Everyone chooses their top three and we calculate the points at the end.

I think maybe the first post in the thread could be continually edited.

The first post could contain each username and their current roster, and who's pick is next, etc.

• Advertisement

I think maybe the first post in the thread could be continually edited.

The first post could contain each username and their current roster, and who's pick is next, etc.

Yeah that might help people out. Good idea.

Still three spots open for anyone interested. Come on, don't be put off! (Me thinks Bubs was right about having just 15 people :o)

Advertisement