Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭unistudent2009

dixie33 wrote: »
    no shame in that jonnym, i think it took a lot of courage to to go and join that club even though you knew you would get abuse over it. As long as your happy like and look what you achieved so who cares about who slags you :D.

this is off topic here but would anyone advise joining the PSNI at 18/19 years of age?

There has been a lot posted on another thread about this dixie. Have a flick through and read people's opinions. Ultimately, it's down to you. You meet the age requirements so there's no reason why you shouldnt join but that's just my view. You would probably be better getting the view of a serving officer!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey, I dont really understand this....

Vision
    • Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    • Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly
    Whats the difference between the first and second one? My eyesight is 6/9 in my good eye and 6/15 in my bad eye, is this enough to pass if I get this far? Any info would be greatly appreciated :D;)

Tommy-Kerry:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

Hey, I dont really understand this....

Vision
    • Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    • Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly
    Whats the difference between the first and second one? My eyesight is 6/9 in my good eye and 6/15 in my bad eye, is this enough to pass if I get this far? Any info would be greatly appreciated :D;)

Tommy-Kerry:cool:

TK, Basically it means your eyesight needs to be 6/36 or better without glasses. From reading your details your basic eyesight will be OK but you will be required to wear glasses or contact lenses that correct your eyesight to 6/12 over better. An updated prescription will probably give you 6/6.

Hope this makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 don quixote 3

hi folks, just a quick query so sorry if this has been answered before.

If you have completed your medical without any problems are you guaranteed to get offered a place (eventually)? If not how likely are you to get in, does anyone know of people who have passed the medical and had to reapply again because they didn't get an offer?

Oh and whats the general waiting time between medicals and offers at the minute, is anyone at this stage at the moment?

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

If you have completed your medical without any problems are you guaranteed to get offered a place (eventually)? If not how likely are you to get in, does anyone know of people who have passed the medical and had to reapply again because they didn't get an offer?

Oh and whats the general waiting time between medicals and offers at the minute, is anyone at this stage at the moment?

Thanks very much.

When I did mine it was generally accepted that if you got a medical you were in. I sorry but I don't know if that is still the case.

Also, from time of doing my medical to starting in Garnerville I think was about 8 months but I was waiting on vetting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Not in the slightest. It all comes down to vetting. If you passed your medical for a previous campaign and have reapplied for a current campaign, you will have to pass the medical again.

I passed my medical in October, vetting sent off shortly after - got the call in Febuary.

Thanks very much.

Let me reword my answer then, if you had passed your medical and your vetting was fine then you had place. From that you can take - you are "in" and as long as you pass the medical and vetting you will recieve the formal offer.

As I said tho, I don't know if that is still the case for the current campaigns.

I think its a good sign if you get medical and vetting but there are no guarentees. Your merit score is probably a better indication as to whether you will get a call!

If you're merit number isn't good enough in the first place you won't be offered a medical or vetting.
    They won't waste the time,
    money and effort of going through those procedures for somebody who won't make it in.

There's a section of posts on one of the threads that talk about a certain number of candidates who get medicals as part of wastage.

A number of extra medicals are carried out on people who are on the fringe of getting calls to allow for those who dropout/fail medical or vetting. That's why i suggested merit number as being a slightly more accurate way of guessing if you are in with a chance of getting a call!

• Advertisement

Thats a fair point.

I always assumed the wasteage part came down to the fact that - certainly for previous campaigns - when the number of recruits needed was 440 with 11 intakes a year that would make 40 people starting for each intake.

Knowing that people will either not turn up on the day or not make it through training for one reason or another, they invite more than 440 to start and therefore purposefully invite more for medicals and vetting not on the off-chance that they might be needed but because they will be needed to meet the number of recruits needed.

Not sure how that plays out now with all the talk of reduced numbers etc etc but I would imagine that if they have a set number of recruits, regardless of that number, they will still have more invites sent out for people to start than the number actually required.

I think we're pretty much saying the same thing except I reckon if you've passed the medical and vetting then its only a matter of time until you get the call.

Either way I think its safe to say its atleast looking good for people in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Not if there is 500 people above you in the merit pool who have also passed the medical and vetting.

Bottom line is that without an actual description of what actually goes on in regards selection, its all speculation at best. Really the best thing (and probably the ONLY thing) is to sit and wait.
    BoutYe wrote: »
    I think we're pretty much saying the same thing except I reckon if you've passed the medical and vetting then its only a matter of time until you get the call.

Either way I think its safe to say its atleast looking good for people in that situation.

Cashflow wrote: »
    Not if there is 500 people above you in the merit pool who have also passed the medical and vetting.

Bottom line is that without an actual description of what actually goes on in regards selection, its all speculation at best. Really the best thing (and probably the ONLY thing) is to sit and wait.

Alright then, I'll go back to my original point - when I went through if you got a medical and passed vetting you were in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seanthesheep

Hi all,long time follower first time contributer. i passed the medical in december 2009 and havnt heard anything from vetting.Im from the Republic and was wondering is there a way of finding out whats the story.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

Hi all,long time follower first time contributer. i passed the medical in december 2009 and havnt heard anything from vetting.Im from the Republic and was wondering is there a way of finding out whats the story.?

If you pass vetting you don't hear anything back from them about it, you just have to wait for 'the call', provided your merit number is good enough. I'm not certain what happens if you fail vetting, but I'm sure someone else can help you with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Your vetting will be done by the Garda Vetting Unit in Thurles. It usually takes around a year from the time you submit your vetting forms for the result to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

Is it true that if your BMI is above 30 at the time of your medical you are required to then complete a fitness test in order to pass?

If this is true could you please specify any known information/details of this test. thanks :D

Also has anyone heard about a PSNI recruitment campaign in september of this year?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ricz

Got a call last Monday saying that vetting is cleared but would have to redo medical because my last medical expired (The caller said that the medical expires after a year).

Would I be able to argue against this? Cant see the delay being my fault and my last medical (which was passed of course) was about 18 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

BoutYe wrote: »
    If you're merit number isn't good enough in the first place you won't be offered a medical or vetting.
    They won't waste the time,
    money and effort of going through those procedures for somebody who won't make it in.

I would love to know what my a/c score was now! I find it strange that I have received vetting AND a medical date when there is still at least 4 weeks or so of a/cs to be completed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

Ricz wrote: »
    Got a call last Monday saying that vetting is cleared but would have to redo medical because my last medical expired (The caller said that the medical expires after a year).

Would I be able to argue against this? Cant see the delay being my fault and my last medical (which was passed of course) was about 18 months ago.
    you can argue....but it wont change anything.
    what does it matter if you have to re-do your medical unless you've lost a limb or gained 100lbs you should be able to pass it again pretty easily.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

pma1983 wrote: »
    I would love to know what my a/c score was now! I find it strange that I have received vetting AND a medical date when there is still at least 4 weeks or so of a/cs to be completed.
    a couple of campaigns back i had a medical and then got a letter saying my ac scores werent good enough to proceed. Just cause youve got to the medical stage dont count your chickens and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

a couple of campaigns back i had a medical and then got a letter saying my ac scores werent good enough to proceed. Just cause youve got to the medical stage dont count your chickens and all that

Similarly people have got vetting forms in the past but were subsequently told they were not progressing due to AC scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NI Poster

Took the AC last week and got a letter two days later to say I had passed, but have received no vetting forms like so many people on hear. It seems to be progressing really quick this year so don't know what to think. Should I have received them within a day or so of pass letter if I am progressing:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

Are there any other candidates who do their medical at the same time as you? Thanks in advance.

yeah , there will be 1 or 2 others going through the various stages same time as you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JONNYKEEB

If anyone has been to the medical this year of the PSNI recruitment 2010, did they take hair or urine for the drug test part of it? And if it was hair where did they take it from? Do you know how far back they look for traces of drugs?

Also, what was the colour blindness test, was it the Ishimura (loads of different coloured dots) or the city test (one central dot of colour and four similar shades)? And do you know how strict they are with the colour blindness test?

Ta much!

Drug test is done on a sample of head hair - dunno how far back they test but several months is a fair guess.Documentation you get if called for medical gives you all the info you want.

Cant remember the colour blindness test but I reckon its a straight pass/fail with not much room for debate.

Others may have more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JONNYKEEB

Thanks for that, only thing is it states on the PSNI website that there will be a sample of urine taken druing the medical, it does not mention what this sample will be used for, presumably drugs testing, further it mentions nothing about hair samples at all.

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/careers/careers_police_officer_recruitment/careers_pre_employment_medical/medical_administration_process.htm

I bring your attention to the last line of the second paragraph.

I don't have any hair that is three centimetres in length or anywhere near it. I wonder what they will do in my case?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

JONNYKEEB wrote: »
    Thanks for that, only thing is it states on the PSNI website that there will be a sample of urine taken druing the medical, it does not mention what this sample will be used for, presumably drugs testing, further it mentions nothing about hair samples at all.

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/careers/careers_police_officer_recruitment/careers_pre_employment_medical/medical_administration_process.htm

I bring your attention to the last line of the second paragraph.

I don't have any hair that is three centimetres in length or anywhere near it. I wonder what they will do in my case?

Thanks again.

Hi there

The urine sample is to check for urinary tract infections/sugar etc in the urine - not for drug testing. As far as I remember if you do not have 3cms of hair anywhere on your body you may not be able to proceed in the campaign. This may have changed, or if you have a specific medical reason for not having any hair they may perhaps be able to do blood tests but this isn't common place. I know at my medical there was a person in the same position as you and he had been told they felt they would not be able to conduct his medical. They did then ask him to wait and they would try and find out if there was anything else they could do. I had left before I heard what happened so can't tell you any more than that I'm afraid. They test 3 months back - 1cm = 1 month. If you have received your medical date I would give OHW a ring and ask them what they recommend.

MBC x

Advertisement