Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC SecureWatch Alarm System Engineering Code

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

ELEKTOR wrote: »
    I am new to the Forum - Please excuse me if I make mistakes

I have followed with interest the discussion re the Engineering Code.

I have a background in electronics and have installed my own alarm system.

However, I know nothing about the wireless systems.

A near relative has some problems with a systems watch system.

The alarm can not be Set. An error message says that a certain window is open.
    From what I have read here, it appears that a battery may be dead. Not knowing the Engineering Code, would it be possible just to replace the battery with system live? Alternatively would it be ok to depower and remove the backup battery?

Secondly, could someone please explain how smoke alarms are interfaced into the system. Recently, with the alarm "Unset", a faulty smoke detector triggered the Alarm - Is this normal?

As regards the various wireless sensors, how does the control panel know which sensor might be malfunctioning? As regards smoke detectors, what normally causes them to malfunction? - are they normally powered from the main control panel? - I know that they have a 9V battery backup also.

Any information would be most gratefully received!

There should be no reason to down power the whole system just to change a battery in a sensor.
    It is possible to change the battery without the engineer code. Just open the sensor, alarm activates, put in your user code to turn off, replace battery, replace cover. Check system is working with user code and faults have being cleared.
    I would also check the magnet has not moved away from the sensor as that may be another issue.
    If the system is wire free then the smoke detector may be wire free also, it can use the 9v battery and can work for up to 5 plus. If you are getting false alarms with the smoke detector then I would advise you to have it replaced rather than do a DIY job on it. It is a safety device and I am sure it was installed for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ELEKTOR

@ altor

Many thanks for your quick reply - much appreciated.

I am informed that a lot of the problems with the system started when there was a rather lengthy power outage. - Probably the backup battery was drained.

When the power was restored, it was impossible to reset the system - a number or error messages appeared.

However, when a faulty smoke alarm triggered the system, it was still possible to disable the alarm by entering the user code.

Any ideas? Do you think that it might be necessary to re-configure the system? Of course, the engineer code would then be needed.

Unfortunately, as the owner has lost his business, he is not in a position to afford to get professional help.

Any info would be most welcome!

Best regards

ELEKTOR wrote: »
    @ altor

Many thanks for your quick reply - much appreciated.

I am informed that a lot of the problems with the system started when there was a rather lengthy power outage. - Probably the backup battery was drained.

When the power was restored, it was impossible to reset the system - a number or error messages appeared.

However, when a faulty smoke alarm triggered the system, it was still possible to disable the alarm by entering the user code.

Any ideas? Do you think that it might be necessary to re-configure the system? Of course, the engineer code would then be needed.

Unfortunately, as the owner has lost his business, he is not in a position to afford to get professional help.

Any info would be most welcome!

Best regards

If there is a problem with the back up battery I would replace that first. Down power the system and power it up on the battery first then apply the mains. A dead battery or low battery can effect the system as it is still trying to get a charge from the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi guys,

I had a HKC Secure wave system installed last October. Over the last couple of days I'm getting an RF Low battery warning whenever I arm or disarm the system.

I don't have the alarm engineers code and the installer has not returned my call (could be on holidays). Anyway, is there anyway of establishing which sensor is indicating low battery? Also is approx 10 months an appropriate length of time to get out of a HKC battery? How difficult would it be for a complete non technical person :( to change the battery in a sensor?

Thanks for reading

DC

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I take it you mean a HKC SecureWave.
    Its possibly the battery in the remote. I have heard reports of these going after such a short period. Try change that out & see if that helps. You should get much longer than this out of a battery. I'm seeing around 3 years on Visonic ones.

• Advertisement

Decoda wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I had a HKC Secure wave system installed last October. Over the last couple of days I'm getting an RF Low battery warning whenever I arm or disarm the system.

I don't have the alarm engineers code and the installer has not returned my call (could be on holidays). Anyway, is there anyway of establishing which sensor is indicating low battery? Also is approx 10 months an appropriate length of time to get out of a HKC battery? How difficult would it be for a complete non technical person :( to change the battery in a sensor?

Thanks for reading

DC

I would also check the external bell if the LEDs have being enabled. This has being the most common problem if the second battery pack has not being installed.

Thanks for the replies Koolkid and Altor.

I replaced the battery in the key fob remote today but the panel is still showing "RF low batt". How difficult is it to try and open the external bell casing? I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how I get on.

Thanks again for the advice.

DC

Thanks for the replies Koolkid and Altor.

I replaced the battery in the key fob remote today but the panel is still showing "RF low batt". How difficult is it to try and open the external bell casing? I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how I get on.

Thanks again for the advice.

DC

If you have access to a ladder, just open the screw on the right of the bell as you look at it. The external bell will ring when you open it so just disconnect the battery lead going into the bell to silence it. If there is only one battery pack then I would suggest getting a second one for it. Just make sure the first battery pack has a second lead coming out of it so it can be connected to another pack.

Any problems, let us know..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Decoda, have you had a lot of activations of the alarm?
    From October seems very soon to have to replace the battery.:confused:

Hi Lads,

Alarm installer contact me this morning and walked me through over the phone how to locate the fault. He also gave me the Engineers code :P so I should be able to look after things myself from now on.

The low battery is from the external bell (nice one Altor). The installer is saying that because we asked for the LED's to be on the flashing mode that the battery life will only last approx 6 months. He's given me the battery type etc so i'll pick one up and I'm going to venture up a ladder when the winds eventually die down.

Thanks again

DC

• Advertisement

Hi Lads,

Alarm installer contact me this morning and walked me through over the phone how to locate the fault. He also gave me the Engineers code :P so I should be able to look after things myself from now on.

The low battery is from the external bell (nice one Altor). The installer is saying that because we asked for the LED's to be on the flashing mode that the battery life will only last approx 6 months. He's given me the battery type etc so i'll pick one up and I'm going to venture up a ladder when the winds eventually die down.

Thanks again

DC

It has being the most common low battery issue I have come across. Fair play to the installer giving you the engineer code.
    It always handy to have as its your system.
    If you do leave the LEDS on make sure you check the battery pack that is in the bell to see if a second pack can be added. This will give you up to 36 months of the LED flashing. I will post up a picture tomorrow of the type you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 notsotechnical

Hi,
    I have a HKC alarm. I want to alarm my house when I am out but I have a pet who will obviously set off the sensors. Is there a short code I can use to alarm just the doors and windows while i'm out.. I know there is a short code to alarm only doors and windows while I'm in the house but this doesnt work for when I am out. Help anyone??
    Thanks!!!

0 # 7 and 0#8 are the short codes. Part sets can be set to be timed but you may need engineer access to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 notsotechnical

KoolKid wrote: »
    0 # 7 and 0#8 are the short codes. Part sets can be set to be timed but you may need engineer access to do this.

Many thanks!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ScaryGuy

Apologies if my question has already been answered, but I started to read through this thread, until I realised it was 39 pages long and seemed to stray a bit off topic (HKC Secure Watch Engineering Codes)

I recently moved into a new house with an alarm that seems to be functioning, but I have neither the user code nor engineering code (4567 did not work).

I'm hoping the system is not engineer locked (There is no company name on any of the equipment, and I've been told it is therefore likely that it is NOT engineer locked)

I hope to reset/default my alarm system this weekend. I found the instructions on page 5 of this thread:
    To default the system:
    1. Turn off the mains supply at the fuse board & disconnect the battery in the panel
    2. Remove the factory link marked LK1
    3. Wait 30 seconds & power up the panel by reconnecting the battery
    4. If system powers up armed enter default user code 01111 . If the system disarms it is unlocked. Enter the default engineer code 04567
    5. Close up the panel
    6. Turn back on the mains supply from the fuse board.

I'm conerned about the bold comment in stage 4!!!

Is it possible that the system will power-up armed, and I will not be able to disarm it if it is engieer locked?

Is it reasonably easy to disable the outdoor alarm bell with a ladder, a screwdriver and a wire cutters? :)

ScaryGuy wrote: »
    Apologies if my question has already been answered, but I started to read through this thread, until I realised it was 39 pages long and seemed to stray a bit off topic (HKC Secure Watch Engineering Codes)

I recently moved into a new house with an alarm that seems to be functioning, but I have neither the user code nor engineering code (4567 did not work).

I'm hoping the system is not engineer locked (There is no company name on any of the equipment, and I've been told it is therefore likely that it is NOT engineer locked)

I hope to reset/default my alarm system this weekend. I found the instructions on page 5 of this thread:

I'm conerned about the bold comment in stage 4!!!

Is it possible that the system will power-up armed, and I will not be able to disarm it if it is engieer locked?

Is it reasonably easy to disable the outdoor alarm bell with a ladder, a screwdriver and a wire cutters? :)

That is correct. If the system is armed and engineer locked it wont default meaning the default codes wont work. The LK1 link must also be put back on before closing up the control panel. This fuses in the control panel can be removed and just let the bells battery run down, Saves having to get up at the box at all.

altor wrote: »
    That is correct. If the system is armed and engineer locked it wont default meaning the default codes wont work. The LK1 link must also be put back on before closing up the control panel. This fuses in the control panel can be removed and just let the bells battery run down, Saves having to get up at the box at all.

Hi altor. Thanks for the quick response.

Sorry to be pedantic... but I really don't want to pi$$ the neighbours off! :)

My alarm is currently NOT armed. So after a reset, is it still possible for it to power-up armed? Why would it?!?

How long would it take for the bells battery to run down? (Without having it ringing!) I'd imagine this would take a very long time!? (If the battery is to be able to last for any length of time while the bell is ringing, then I presume the battery would last a very long time when NOT ringing)

Hi altor. Thanks for the quick response.

Sorry to be pedantic... but I really don't want to pi$$ the neighbours off! :)

My alarm is currently NOT armed. So after a reset, is it still possible for it to power-up armed? Why would it?!?

How long would it take for the bells battery to run down? (Without having it ringing!) I'd imagine this would take a very long time!? (If the battery is to be able to last for any length of time while the bell is ringing, then I presume the battery would last a very long time when NOT ringing)

The system will always go into alarm on power up.
    Depending on the bell it can go from 15 minutes till either the cut off timer has run out or till the battery runs out. No way around this without getting up at the bell and disconnecting the battery with no power on the system.

altor wrote: »
    The system will always go into alarm on power up.
    Depending on the bell it can go from 15 minutes till either the cut off timer has run out or till the battery runs out. No way around this without getting up at the bell and disconnecting the battery with no power on the system.

Thanks altor!

Sounds like I'd better get my ladder out!! And try not to jump when I open the bell box! :)

Thanks altor!

Sounds like I'd better get my ladder out!! And try not to jump when I open the bell box! :)

Your welcome, have it at the ready just in case..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Arsecati

Hi there,

This was an existing alarm in the garage when we moved in to the house, with no code, and no elastomer keypad! HKC very, very generously sent out a new pad for free (excellent customer service, thank you Lorna, you are an absolute star!), and following the instructions I found on this extremely helpful forum - I managed to do a full reset to the alarm and and bring it back to life, replace codes, etc. and everything SEEMED to be working fine.

However, once I set the alarm, it starts its countdown, but when I open the door to leave - the internal alarm/bell goes off, giving me the error message of the zone (door) being opened. If I try and arm the alarm with the door open - it won't arm, saying zone is open. I've gone in to the times of the service menu, thinking I'd have to give the internal alarm/bell a time to wait before arming, but nothing I do seems to be working.

It is probably something really simple and staring me in the face - but alas, I think I'm getting a little too frustrated to think straight at this point, so hoping anyone here can tell me which menu option I should be looking at!

Many thanks, and cheers for all the advice posted so far - it's been a great help.

Is the front door zone programmed as Entry Exit. ?
    Can you clarify that you contacted HKC directly and they looked after you with tech support and a new keypad??

Koolkid, you are a legend! Superquick reply, and yep - that was the issue!

I wouldn't have had a clue until you mentioned it, so as it made perfect sense what you said - I had a look at the menu diagram, went in to zones and changed the door to Entry/Exit (luckily I knew which zone the door was as it flashed on screen after the alarm kept going off!). So now after all these years, the alarm in the garage is finally working!

Many thanks again, I'm delighted! :)

Oh, as for HKC, I only contacted them directly for the keypad, which they sent me FOC as a courtesy/good will gesture (maybe I shouldn't be spreading that around! haha!!), but I've just been slowly learning the system myself since then, and this was the last piece of the puzzle! :)

Glad you got sorted. Was just wondering about HKC because they have consistently insisted here that they do not deal with end users.

Well, it actually looks like I jumped the gun a bit now that I've tested it properly! :0/

So now the alarm sets, but it's not going off when any of the zones/sensors are breached. I have the motion sensor and door set to Ent/Exit (as motion sensor points towards the keypad). However, once set, I have stood beside it and waited for countdown to finish, and nothing will set the alarm off. It will register on the keypad - as the red 'alarm' light comes on: but no sound. I opened a window and the door, but still no alarm. Once I put my code in to reset it, the screen will give me the event logs: The two areas that were breached (sensor and window), but also giving me an 'Entry Fault'.

I just did another test, where I set the alarm, and just stood motionless until timer had counted down and system set. I then moved in front of the sensor, the keypad lit up, but then after the time I have set for Entry/Exit expired, the red 'Alarm' LED lit up, but yet still no sound. Once I put in my code to reset, the log gave me 'Entry Fault'.

No doubt that after I did the full reset on it, I am still missing something, so really sorry for being a pain on this!

Cheers,

G

A few things to check .
    Are rhe bells working. ? Disconnect the bell negative and touch off the aux negative. The external siren should should.
    Try the same with the internal.
    Is there a bell delay programmed?

Oh the bells work fine - inside and out (as I set them off plenty of times resetting the system and changing codes, etc.!).

As far as timers or delays are concerned, the longest delay I have set is entry and exit, and that is only 20 seconds. :0/

And have you checked in System Timers that there is no Bell Delay set.?

No bell delay set. While trying different options, I had a 10 second delay on it, but I waited nearly a minute after, and nothing happened. Though I am after setting it to 0 and testing again - still the same - but this time when I turn off the alarm, the event log is giving me 'Exit Fault', whereas before it was giving me 'Entry Fault'. Regardless though, even though it is recognising zones/sensors being breached during the time the alarm has been set - no bell goes off. :0/

• Advertisement

Are you letting the system fully set & activating any other zone besides the front door?
    Have you tried activating a panic alarm?
    In System Options> Arming Options is Exit Fault set to bell?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement