Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC SecureWatch Alarm System Engineering Code

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

Thanks Altor for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks Altor for all your help

Your welcome Sean, any other problems let us know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Hello All,

I have a 'dummy' question to my HKC SecureWatch.

Bought the house 5 years ago, the house was built 1998.

The alarm system has 2 panels as shown on the HKC website, motion sensors in most rooms, intruder sensors on the windows and doors, a strobe box with red and green LEDs outside on the gable and what seems a control unit installed next to the fusebox.

Unfortunately thats about everything I know about the system. There is no installer identification on the panels or anywhere to be seen.

We armed the device twice over the 5 years and that's it. The code I had stored in my mobile phone which is now gone and I have no idea how to retrieve the code.

Pretty careless all and all I guess, but unfortunately that's where I am with the thing.

Today I come home to find the outside strobe flashing and in addition to the two green lights the red light is after coming on on the panel. The alarm was not set. The neighbours didn't hear anything going off.

Any idea what my course of action is wrt:

a) Identify the actual model I have
    b) Figure out whether there's a system fault
    c) Reset the device and enter a new code
    d) Learn how to actually use this thing

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I imagine I would have to have this serviced? What kind of money are we talking about for this? Can this even be done without any knowledge of its history and any knowledge of its codes?

Thanks for your time

Bosco

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Boskowski wrote: »

a) Identify the actual model I have
    Open the panel & see what it says on the processor chip.
    Its more than likely a Securewatch 6/10
    b) Figure out whether there's a system fault
    c) Reset the device and enter a new code
    You could try factory default.
    Power down the system (Disconnect the battery & turn off the mains )
    Remove the factory link marked LK1 (its near the centre of the main PCB)

Power the panel back up . It will offer default on the keypad if the system is not engineer locked.
    d) Learn how to actually use this thing

I'll PM you the manuals.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Open the panel & see what it says on the processor chip.
    Its more than likely a Securewatch 6/10

You could try factory default.
    Power down the system (Disconnect the battery & turn off the mains )
    Remove the factory link marked LK1 (its near the centre of the main PCB)

In that order?
    Power the panel back up . It will offer default on the keypad if the system is not engineer locked.

I'll PM you the manuals.

Thanks very much, that was lightning fast.

I will do that tomorrow. Don't want anything happening while the neighbours are in bed.

What if it is engineer locked? Will it simply revert to its current state or would I set it off?

• Advertisement

Very easy to set back up if the system is not engineer locked.
    You will need to open the control panel, not the keypad you use your code on to try the default. Just remember to turn off the mains before opening.

In that order?

Thanks very much, that was lightning fast.

I will do that tomorrow. Don't want anything happening while the neighbours are in bed.

What if it is engineer locked? Will it simply revert to its current state or would I set it off?

That's correct, if engineer locked it wont default and will look for the user code.

Excellent, thanks very much to you too.

So disconnect main fuse, then open the control unit, disconnect the battery then disconnect that LK1 connector, right?

Then reverse the whole procedure and try the factory default user code. Correct?

If the factory code doesn't work I'll be back with more questions I guess.

Thanks again and good night!

Bosco

Excellent, thanks very much to you too.

So disconnect main fuse, then open the control unit, disconnect the battery then disconnect that LK1 connector, right?

Then reverse the whole procedure and try the factory default user code. Correct?

If the factory code doesn't work I'll be back with more questions I guess.

Thanks again and good night!

Bosco

Just power it up on the battery with the link removed. Go to the keypad and see if it gives you the option to default. If it does press yes and then after the default enter 1111 then 4567 to go direct into engineer mode. Put back in the link close up the control panel and turn the mains back on. Let us know if it works, more than happy to help you set it back up again.
    If the system is engineer locked you will need an engineer to default and set it back up for you.

Had a go at this just now.

Main fuse off, opened the box. Panels powering down but outside alarm goes off immediately.

So now I feel a bit under pressure and actually fail to locate that LK1 thing. What is that actually, you say 'link'? Is that a wire or a jumper or what is it?

I looked at all the wires and there's really only a yellow double wire marked 'AC' on the top right corner, the rest of them are all going to two terminal strips, one at the bottom, one at the right hand side. The bottom strip is marked with all the different zones, the one on the right hand side is marked with stuff like 'outside bell', 'fire' etc.

The main chip (top left) is secured with a cable tie that sits rather tight and covers the chip ID, but I believe it reads PCB2239.

Thankfully the outside alarm stopped when I reconnected battery, closed the lid and reconnected the mains. The panel seemed to kinda boot up then, CKECKSUM msg etc. then back to what it was before.

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but would love be more certain as to what I'm doing here before I'm opening this again.

So what am I looking for exactly when trying to find this LK1 thing?

regards

Bosco

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Had a go at this just now.

Main fuse off, opened the box. Panels powering down but outside alarm goes off immediately.

So now I feel a bit under pressure and actually fail to locate that LK1 thing. What is that actually, you say 'link'? Is that a wire or a jumper or what is it?
    Its a small plastic jumper
    Its around the centre of the board.
    How many zone inputs are there on the panel?
    It will be 6 or 8 . If its 6 the panel is a 6/10
    If there are 8 its an 8/12

It's the 6/10, it even said that on the panel during boot-up.

I managed to find that jumper but to no avail.
    When I enter what I read on this thread to be the default user code nothing happens, when I enter the default engineer code it says 'access denied'.

Also reconnecting the battery has no effect, probably dead.
    The alarm goes off immediately after unscrewing the main fuse and the system boots up after putting it back in.
    No reaction to the battery disconnect or reconnect.

Just to be double sure. To enter the code I press 0 then the 4 digit code, right?
    Do I have to press something like 'enter' then, of course there is no enter but I mean something like the hash or star key?

Entering a random code, or 1111 or what the missus thinks may be the actual user code all shows the same reaction. No reaction, it simply reverts back to the date & time display after a few seconds.

Seems I need to call an engineer and need a new battery also. Cos by the looks of it the outside alarm will just go mad next time an ESB outage happens - although if there was an actual ESB outage where would the alarm bell get its power from.

You can see I really haven't a clue how these things are set up.

Thanks for your help!

The battery need replacing & it would appear its engineer locked.
    You will need an engineer to call out to reset this system.
    The keypad will react to any valid code with out any other key presses.
    If you need anything else with it give us a shout.;)

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Having to call an engineer is of course not what I was hoping for ;) as my experience with call-out engineers in general tells me I'll be asked to fork out hundreds for what is seemingly a routine task plus a couple of parts that I could source myself for €16.50, but I know now what system I have and what to do next and I have the manuals. Thats not bad I guess.

Thanks again

Bosco

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Having to call an engineer is of course not what I was hoping for ;) as my experience with call-out engineers in general tells me I'll be asked to fork out hundreds for what is seemingly a routine task plus a couple of parts that I could source myself for €16.50, but I know now what system I have and what to do next and I have the manuals. Thats not bad I guess.

Thanks again

Bosco

You will save on the battery but other parts needed wont be available to a user.
    The total cost for this should not be more than €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Hi all, looking for a bit of help - builder fitted hkc secure watch in my parents place during renovations, 3 code panels fitted, at back door, front door and in bedroom. Builder is now off site due to cost and time overruns, but we have no codes for alarm whatsoever. Have tried all the default ones listed here with no joy. System appears to be unset though the alarm light is lit on the panels, and Internal siren went off for a while after i tried all the default codes and other random 4 digit codes. Just wondering is there anything we can do ourselves to reset system so we can enter our own codes?

Thanks!

Is this a new installation?
    What company installed this for the builder?
    Why not ask the company what the codes are or to reset it for you.
    Otherwise you could try a factory reset.
    Power down the panel.
    Disconnect the battery.
    Remove the factory link marked LK1.
    Power back up.
    If its not engineer locked the keypad will prompt you to default.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Is this a new installation?
    What company installed this for the builder?
    Why not ask the company what the codes are or to reset it for you.
    Otherwise you could try a factory reset.
    Power down the panel.
    Disconnect the battery.
    Remove the factory link marked LK1.
    Power back up.
    If its not engineer locked the keypad will prompt you to default.

Hi,

It's a new installation, no idea who installed it and doubt builder will be forthcoming with details. Will give the factory reset a shot...

Thanks for response!

Ask the builder who installed it & their details. If he refuses tell him you will report him to the PSA. It sounds to me like he has used an unlicensed installer. Especially the fact that he installed a Securewatch panel.
    A fairly old system by todays standards.

zinzan wrote: »
    Hi,

It's a new installation, no idea who installed it and doubt builder will be forthcoming with details. Will give the factory reset a shot...

Thanks for response!

No harm in trying the default, is there no name on the keypad or external bell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jay5296

Hi lads i'm back again?
    First of all thanks to altor who helped me stop the beeping of my alarm with the dmc ftc fault.
    I assigned my digi modem to my mobile number and other family members but when i test the system raising the alarm i do not recieve any texts to any of the mobiles. I called my home phone provider vodafone and asked them to enable caller sending which they did but still no joy.
    Second problem i have and its been there since day one. I can't set the alarm when leaving the house. When i leave the house the alarm will go off. To set the alarm i must close the front door, but when i open it to leave it goes off. I'm sure theres a quick explanation for this. There is no probs setting it at night.
    Any help appreciated, thanks
    Jay

jay5296 wrote: »
    Hi lads i'm back again?
    First of all thanks to altor who helped me stop the beeping of my alarm with the dmc ftc fault.
    I assigned my digi modem to my mobile number and other family members but when i test the system raising the alarm i do not recieve any texts to any of the mobiles. I called my home phone provider vodafone and asked them to enable caller sending which they did but still no joy.
    Second problem i have and its been there since day one. I can't set the alarm when leaving the house. When i leave the house the alarm will go off. To set the alarm i must close the front door, but when i open it to leave it goes off. I'm sure theres a quick explanation for this. There is no probs setting it at night.
    Any help appreciated, thanks
    Jay

Can you send a text from your land line?
    Can you check if the front door type is entry/exit?

If you go to set the alarm & the system shows front door open then that zone has not been set up correctly. You will need engineer access to be correcting these problems. It seem very likely that this was installed by an unlicensed person. You really should be chasing the builder on this.
    He has acted illegally & so have you. You also need , now, to carefully study what's on your insurance policy. Your insurance cover may also be null & void in the event of a claim.

Did you enter a site name?

If you go to set the alarm & the system shows front door open then that zone has not been set up correctly. You will need engineer access to be correcting these problems. It seem very likely that this was installed by an unlicensed person. You really should be chasing the builder on this.
    He has acted illegally & so have you. You also need , now, to carefully study what's on your insurance policy. Your insurance cover may also be null & void in the event of a claim.

Yes, kookid this alarm was installed and maintained/monitored by eircom for a full year before i discontinued their service. I still have the documents to prove the installation was carried out by a licened engineer. After discontinuing eircoms phonewatch alarm system my insurance company was informed. How have i acted illegally all i want is to have an operational alarm system on my home?

altor wrote: »
    Can you send a text from your land line?
    Can you check if the front door type is entry/exit?

Thanks Altor,
    Justed checked and i can text with the land phone.
    Where can i check the front door type, i tried under zone types and point types but they just give me location and either alarm or pir?

Thanks Altor,
    Justed checked and i can text with the land phone.
    Where can i check the front door type, i tried under zone types and point types but they just give me location and either alarm or pir?

If you go into the zone menu, yes, scroll to zone types yes, Zone 1 front door, yes, it will allow you scroll to set up entry/exit as the zone type.

I would default the modem and start again. Go to serial port menu, yes, modem service yes, scroll to default modem. then set up the site name, text phone numbers again.

Yes, kookid this alarm was installed and maintained/monitored by eircom for a full year before i discontinued their service. I still have the documents to prove the installation was carried out by a licened engineer. After discontinuing eircoms phonewatch alarm system my insurance company was informed. How have i acted illegally all i want is to have an operational alarm system on my home?

Apologies,
    I was confusing you with another poster in this thread.

altor wrote: »
    If you go into the zone menu, yes, scroll to zone types yes, Zone 1 front door, yes, it will allow you scroll to set up entry/exit as the zone type.

I would default the modem and start again. Go to serial port menu, yes, modem service yes, scroll to default modem. then set up the site name, text phone numbers again.

Was watching the match!!
    Yeah i'll give that a go tommorrow Altor. I have a print out of the prog and digi modem menus (Thanks Koolkid). Thanks for all your help again, i'll let you know how i get on.

• Advertisement

Was watching the match!!
    Yeah i'll give that a go tommorrow Altor. I have a print out of the prog and digi modem menus (Thanks Koolkid). Thanks for all your help again, i'll let you know how i get on.

Do Jay, defaulting the modem and reprogramming it will hopefully sort the issue if you can text direct from your house phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement