Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    About 1/3 into The Great North Road. It's just too bloody long for the amount that seems to actually happen in it. Plus, besides the Stargates (yeah, that's what they are really) it doesn't feel like it's anywhere near as far in the future as it's supposed to be.
    The story itself is OK though and well written, I'll be finishing it for sure.
    Totally agree, the whole premise made no sense but the 2 things he seemed to focus >50% of the book on made absolutely no sense whatsoever to me:
    1. Monster Murder Mystery around the convoy in the snow: Its a God Like creature that controls the output of stars and planetary ecosystems, why is it sneaking around getting injured when shot and swiping at the humans with claws?

2. The endless, endless search for that taxi in Glasgow, its the future and the whole police department had to get down on their hands and knees eyeballing this hologram of glasgow or whereever it was for months? There were no automated tools to say "Follow that car" or an AI or anything to do it for them?

After the Nights Dawn Trilogy and The Commonwealth Saga plus a few others like fallen Dragon he'll always be one of my favourite authors but holy crap Great North Road was badly written and dragged out, like a mediocre detective short story stretched into a novel.

Then again it had brilliant bits like the space planes they used to use to delay that (seemingly totally irrelevant as far as I could tell) virus thing, the society of the super-rich etc, seemed like a lot of wasted potential.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Thargor wrote: »
    but holy crap Great North Road was badly written and dragged out,
    Well I'm not sure I'd agree fully that it's "badly written" exactly. It's certainly badly paced, but I find the standard of writing itself in it pretty good. It just needs more going on to wrap those nice words around.
    Depends on whether you mean "writing" as in prose or as in storytelling I guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Starting on Jim Butcher's Skin Game.

Nah I thought it was badly written, better than 90% of new sci-fi but still disappointing for him, one of my fav authors as I said. I remember him using a lot of lazy adjectives over and over again and the constant repetition in general annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Pratchett's Raising Steam. Let's see if it's a step up from Snuff and Unseen Academicals or if the downward trend is continued.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

James S.A. Corey's Expanse (1-3) about halfway through the third. I've mixed feelings on this, it ticks a lot of my space opera buttons, however it's all a bit predictable and the lead characters are poorly realised. Nevertheless the central plot is ok thus far and I'm curious enough about the ending to stick with it.
    Put it down for the second time recently. I agree the characters are paper thin, and for me the fascination the universe offered initially doesn't prop it up any more.

Nah I thought it was badly written, better than 90% of new sci-fi but still disappointing for him, one of my fav authors as I said. I remember him using a lot of lazy adjectives over and over again and the constant repetition in general annoyed me.
    Oh, grand. I'm only 1/3rd in though, so if the whole story is repeated twice from here I'm sure I'll agree with you!

Hope you didnt read those spoilers then! Ah it was an okay book I was just disappointed that it wasnt as good as his usual stuff, he must be due to release something else soon.

Hope you didnt read those spoilers then! Ah it was an okay book I was just disappointed that it wasnt as good as his usual stuff, he must be due to release something else soon.
    Nay bother. This book is so long I'll have long since forgotten by the time I get to them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The penultimate Thrones book. Much improved (so far) on the Feast for Crows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

Read Lion of Macedon again recently. Gemmell has to have been the best fantasy writer of all time with Pratchett as the best comic fantasy writer. One dead and the other with Alzheimer's. Might read Night Watch next,again just for the fun of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Tower of Midnight which was good, a return to form for the series, but will still be glad to finish the series soon!
    About 70% through Downbelow Station by CJ Cherryh, it hasn't really got going, don't think I'd bother with the rest of the series.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

68% into Brian McClellan's "Promise of Blood" the first book in his Powder Mage trilogy. Very enjoyable so far - it's an early industrial world following a military coup against a corrupt monarchy. It's quite magic heavy and innovative in a way that Brandon Sanderson would be proud of: the power mages use gun powder like a form of cocaine to fuel one form of magic and there's hints of other magic systems in play. Throw in the signs of a bigger threat and you've got what seems to be a promising series.

ixoy wrote: »
    68% into Brian McClellan's "Promise of Blood" the first book in his Powder Mage trilogy. Very enjoyable so far - it's an early industrial world following a military coup against a corrupt monarchy. It's quite magic heavy and innovative in a way that Brandon Sanderson would be proud of: the power mages use gun powder like a form of cocaine to fuel one form of magic and there's hints of other magic systems in play. Throw in the signs of a bigger threat and you've got what seems to be a promising series.

Started it myself the other night and really enjoying it. I'm a big fan of writers who set out their magic system early on and then struck by it. Far too many writers have a habit of changing their system to get themselves out of a corner.

Have sitting in the pile as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Orb, Sceptre, Throne.

This is the first book where I think Esslemont has found his voice. Love the Seguleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Just finished Words of Radiance by Sanderson. I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as Way of Kings unfortunately. He focused too much attention on the wrong character, the character that was the weakest of the bunch. Not sure who advises him but he had the same issue in Mistborn, giving too many pages to the tedious characters at the expense of the interesting ones. He also writes female characters really poorly, he should read some Abercrombie to see how its done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

A couple of chapters in on Thief's Magic by Trudi Canavan. Not sure how I feel about it. It's different, steampunk magic. Love the Black Magician trilogy, hated the follow ups. Age of the Five was okish. Hopefully this book will pick up the pace a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just started 'Son of the Morning' by Mark Alder. Interesting so far. Set in England in 1330 and eerily similar to this thread:eek:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057198155

where Lucifer is the good guy and 'God' an usurper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

James S.A. Corey's Expanse (1-3) about halfway through the third. I've mixed feelings on this, it ticks a lot of my space opera buttons, however it's all a bit predictable and the lead characters are poorly realised. Nevertheless the central plot is ok thus far and I'm curious enough about the ending to stick with it.
    Dades wrote: »
    Put it down for the second time recently. I agree the characters are paper thin, and for me the fascination the universe offered initially doesn't prop it up any more.

Picked up Abaddon's Gate yesterday, having only finished Caliban's War a day or so ago. The second book seemed to lose a lot of the steam & momentum that the first contained, but still enjoyed things enough to see how it all pans out.

I agree that everything seems painted in very broad strokes; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The antagonists in particular come across as being from the 'Umbrella Corporation' school of villainy, where the business plan appears to be 'Cause the apocalypse. Repeatedly'. I actually like the main characters, they're a disparate enough group with distinctive voices - if a little cliché - that I find them appealing to follow. The series should work well for TV, so am hopeful ScyFy make a good fist of the adaptation. My only concern is that Holden's an idealist to a fault, the book calling him out on this, and if the script doesn't include this element, his naivety will derail the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

pixelburp wrote: »
    The antagonists in particular come across as being from the 'Umbrella Corporation' school of villainy, where the business plan appears to be 'Cause the apocalypse. Repeatedly'.

Best business plan description ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

are the mistborn books worth reading,need something tie me over until the new abercrombie and anthony ryan books come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭shootermacg

ronoc 1 wrote: »
    are the mistborn books worth reading,need something tie me over until the new abercrombie and anthony ryan books come out.

Personally I would have to say no, you'll regret the time spent reading it, when there's so many other books worth your attention.

ronoc 1 wrote: »
    I enjoyed them. They're an easy read, there's an interesting magic system and there's some good plot twists. It's a little rough around the edges (Sanderson's gotten better) but worth it. Better, in my opinion, than a lot of other series out there.

I'd agreed there with that opinion (of shootermacg) . If you must read Sanderson, why not try Stormlight Archive?
    Or Bradley P Beaulieu's Lays of Anuskaya trilogy.
    Or Ian Tregilis' The Milkweed Triptych trilogy.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'd agreed there with that opinion (of shootermacg) . If you must read Sanderson, why not try Stormlight Archive?
    It's definitely a better series but there's only two of ten books out so that might be frustrating.
    Or Bradley P Beaulieu's Lays of Anuskaya trilogy.
    Good call - not enough attention drawn to this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

if you like Richard Morgan the "The Steel remains"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Steel_Remains is worth a read especially if you have read his Takeshi Kovacs books

ixoy wrote: »
    It's definitely a better series but there's only two of ten books out so that might be frustrating.

Good call - not enough attention drawn to this series.

But two extremely long books, longer than some series out there.

Somehing a bit lighter would be Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant books. Mot sure how many, I think five, and the series isn't drawn to a conclusion yet but so e fun to be had. Just make sure not to read it on your kindle, as magic will play havoc with it. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Finished Wool (1-5). Very good read, I look forward to reading more from Howey & Silo universe.
    Probably technically not even scifi
    . 4-5/5.

Advertisement