Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tempted to quit that Assassin's Apprentice thing. Think I'm about a quarter through it now. The part I'm on:
    Fitz just after sorting out the diplomatic issues by sticking his fingers down a dog's throat :rolleyes:

Seems to be very, very little about his training as an assassin's apprentice and an awful lot of filler. Like, it was just mentioned in passing that he had been in training a couple of years at one stage just out of the blue without anything else in terms of the setting or characters changing. Weird really.

Fitz himself doesn't really have a character, basically a narrator who can also talk to dogs. Doesn't really add much himself.

As with Game of Thrones I find even at this early stage I'm worn out from hearing "bastard" over and over. I get it, it's clear, stop shoving it in everywhere to reinforce it where it doesn't fit. If you bring it up again later I won't have forgotten about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Thargor wrote: »
    Another series I rate as one of the best of all time is the Three Worlds Cycle by Ian Irvine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Worlds_Cycle

Dont think Ive ever seen them mentioned on Boards.ie and they are seriously good books, excellent world building and characters.

Big +1 from me for Ian Irvine, I mentioned them once before here but not sure if there as widely read too, I actually started mistakenly in the middle of his world with Geomancer, continued on and then went back and read the first lot, My understanding of the world and peoples was not one bit thrown out such is excellent quality of world building he uses, I didn't like the final three however, the ones with Nish's father and the Tears they just didnt seem on par with the rest. All in all highly recommended to the other readers here...maybe we'll start something ala Anthany Ryan/Blood song :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭irishmays

Reading foundation trilogy. Asimov tells a good story. Space opera at its best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭irishmays

Reading foundation trilogy. Asimov tells a good story. Space opera at its best

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Just reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. Really liking it. I love how Gaiman takes the time to introduce his characters before the main action really begins (dropping loads of hints usually). World building I think they call it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

nicowa wrote: »
    Just reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. Really liking it. I love how Gaiman takes the time to introduce his characters before the main action really begins (dropping loads of hints usually). World building I think they call it. :)
    And I'm reading American Gods. 26% in. It's well written but hasn't captivated me. I think I'm just not a big fan of his mystic stories as I never fully engaged with Sandman either.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

ixoy wrote: »
    And I'm reading American Gods. 26% in. It's well written but hasn't captivated me. I think I'm just not a big fan of his mystic stories as I never fully engaged with Sandman either.

I think American Gods is just that bit too long. But I understand what you're saying - it's almost like he spends so much time hiding references and clues in there that you don't always know where the story is. And he goes way overboard with this in American Gods.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

MHI Nemesis by Larry Correia - Frankenstein's monster on the side of Angels (sorta) with guns, lots and lots of high calibre guns, mordant humour with some aid from Ninja Catholic exorcists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think American Gods is just that bit too long. But I understand what you're saying - it's almost like he spends so much time hiding references and clues in there that you don't always know where the story is. And he goes way overboard with this in American Gods.
    It's the only of his books I've ever tried to read and I never finished it. Was really quite disappointed by it after his fantastic turn on Doctor Who and my daughter's watching Coraline on repeat for months.

What would be a better place to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,409 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

American Gods is the only Gaiman I've read (well, apart from Good Omens collab with Pratchett).

Wasn't keen on his style. Is his other stuff better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Just to chime in, i absolutely loved america gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Recently re-read American Gods, probably following some comments on this thread. I did enjoy it, however it definitely flags in areas. I can't help thinking that the authors own enthusiasm for all things mystic/mythical, and his subsequent delving into them detracts from the plot. The cast of gods etc was so huge that I struggled to remember who the hell was who in places, and other times just didn't care. Still and all - well worth reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Trojan wrote: »
    American Gods is the only Gaiman I've read (well, apart from Good Omens collab with Pratchett).

Wasn't keen on his style. Is his other stuff better?
    I assumed it would be as his writing for Doctor Who was brilliant and Coraline is a really well done Kid's movie.

Recently re-read American Gods, probably following some comments on this thread. I did enjoy it, however it definitely flags in areas. I can't help thinking that the authors own enthusiasm for all things mystic/mythical, and his subsequent delving into them detracts from the plot. The cast of gods etc was so huge that I struggled to remember who the hell was who in places, and other times just didn't care. Still and all - well worth reading :)

That pretty much sums up how I felt about it. (It didn't feel like a joint Hugo and Nebula award winner! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Read the first two books of The Broken Empire. I don't know if I like it or not. There are parts I quite like and it's an interesting world and yes I am rooting for Jorg even though he's the anti hero. The thing I can't get my head around is his age when he started doing all the horrible things and his reasons behind it. Yes something horrible set him on that path but still. I just want to slap him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Having just finished it my opinion remains unchanged - and I think you've picked up on one of the flaws. Gaiman's packing in the references to all sorts of legends (and I have to admire his research here) that it doesn't feel like a coherent plot. Shadow seems to wander from one mystical encounter to the next, almost as a showcase for Gaiman's research. It's all very smart on one level but I didn't find it that interesting or care too much for the characters.

I bought "Anansi Boys" and "Neverwhere" at the same time but I think I'll leave them for a bit before reading as this hasn't made me eager to continue reading his works.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,899 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Finished the latest Expanse book, total meh, what a lazy ending aswell, seemed more like a free read on his website to set up the next book.

On to the finale of the Long Earth series now, The Long Mars. Loved the first 2, just wish it was Baxter on his own writing them though, dont need Pratchetts wacky Buddhist crap in my sci-fi thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

wyrn wrote: »
    Read the first two books of The Broken Empire. I don't know if I like it or not. There are parts I quite like and it's an interesting world and yes I am rooting for Jorg even though he's the anti hero. The thing I can't get my head around is his age when he started doing all the horrible things and his reasons behind it. Yes something horrible set him on that path but still. I just want to slap him.
    That struck me too but i reckon the people matured quicker in that world ie 12 yo in the book would be equivalent to 18yo in our reality:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

5live wrote: »
    That struck me too but i reckon the people matured quicker in that world ie 12 yo in the book would be equivalent to 18yo in our reality:o

Yes, it is only really in the last 200 years that kids go through teenager years and even to be seen as kids.
    So in medieval times and before there was no real equivalent to modern childhood and teenager and it only really started to develop in the modern period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps to the disagree slightly with the last on the concept of kids and maturity. At least in middle to late medieval times, there was at least in urban areas some measure of a transition period from children being dependant on the family to autonomus adults. In Roman times, this period lasted as long as the father (Pater Familius) was alive, and even adults were still in theory children in the eyes of the law to some extend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

No, I totally get it. Kids grew up faster back then due to a variety of reasons from culture to short life expectancies. It was more the fact that he became so jaded at 10 that he decided to run away to seek revenge and was then the leader of a band of mercs at 12. I get that he's smart and has the strings being pulled for him but still. Even if he were 15/16, then it would be a bit more believable than listening to a 12 wear old talking about rape and murder so nonchalantly.

Manach wrote: »
    Perhaps to the disagree slightly with the last on the concept of kids and maturity. At least in middle to late medieval times, there was at least in urban areas some measure of a transition period from children being dependant on the family to autonomus adults. In Roman times, this period lasted as long as the father (Pater Familius) was alive, and even adults were still in theory children in the eyes of the law to some extend.

No knowledge of roman times, apart from some little readings on religion.
    But I would argue that, any transition period between childhood and adulthood only began to surface in the early modern period and at that only in tiny sections of the population of some Western European States, kingdoms, etc.
    and childhood even in this period would not be comparable to contemporary childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 djjdomahony

micheal connelly echo park

The. Crimson Campaign. And I have to say the first chapter really hooked me in, which fantasy books more often than not fail to do for me.

10% into "Ark Royal" by Christopher Nuttall, and finding it tough going. Typical issues with poor self-published books: minimal editing, way too much exposition - telling not showing - alongside two-dimensional characters. Simplistic language.

I didn't see any mention of YA. It's somehow Amazon Best Sellers Rank #265 Paid in Kindle Store with a 4.3 out of 5 star rating on Amazon with over 1,100 reviews.

Does it get way better after chapter 5 or so? Anyone else read it?

Really looking forward to that Powdermage trilogy now, everyone who reads it seems to be hooked.

Remember this time last year everyone in this thread seemed to read Blood Song at the same time because of the good reviews? Today is the release date for the sequel apparently, Tower Lord:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18138189-tower-lord

Trojan wrote: »
    10% into "Ark Royal" by Christopher Nuttall, and finding it tough going. Typical issues with poor self-published books: minimal editing, way too much exposition - telling not showing - alongside two-dimensional characters. Simplistic language.

I didn't see any mention of YA. It's somehow Amazon Best Sellers Rank #265 Paid in Kindle Store with a 4.3 out of 5 star rating on Amazon with over 1,100 reviews.

Does it get way better after chapter 5 or so? Anyone else read it?
    Ive yet to read a self published book that didn't annoy me for all the reasons you list, cant get any enjoyment out of them at all and there have been a couple like those zombie/DIY survival books and The Martian that Ive guessed were self published before I looked them up, just on the quality of the writing.

I think a lot of people giving them 5 star reviews on Amazon are caught up in a bit of a fad where people are getting more enjoyment out of "discovering" something the professional publishers missed more than the book itself.

wyrn wrote: »
    No, I totally get it. Kids grew up faster back then due to a variety of reasons from culture to short life expectancies. It was more the fact that he became so jaded at 10 that he decided to run away to seek revenge and was then the leader of a band of mercs at 12. I get that he's smart and has the strings being pulled for him but still. Even if he were 15/16, then it would be a bit more believable than listening to a 12 wear old talking about rape and murder so nonchalantly.
    Didnt he have a demon in his head guiding his actions aswell? It wasnt just a case of kids growing up faster back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Thargor wrote: »
    Really looking forward to that Powdermage trilogy now, everyone who reads it seems to be hooked.

Remember this time last year everyone in this thread seemed to read Blood Song at the same time because of the good reviews? Today is the release date for the sequel apparently, Tower Lord:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18138189-tower-lord

Powder Mage is really Good. Go read it.

Its Magic System reminds me alot of Modesitt's Books, which is a definite plus for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

read crimson campaign,excellent book.i liked the first one but this is even better.the story gets more ambitious and the action scenes especially the battles are well done.

just finished reading the second book in the mistborn series,the books have mixed views here but im really enjoying them so far.

Advertisement