Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ronoc 1 wrote: »
    just finished reading the name of the wind,good enough read, felt it was a bit drawn out.liked it but wasnt blown away by it like a lot of people seem to be.

is it worth getting the sequel

If you were underwhelmed and found it tedious, I would not recommend reading the next one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Finished book 1 of War of the Spider Queen. While I'm a bit of a D+D book addict beyond reasoning with, I just find the setting a bit too "high-powered" for my liking. I prefer my heroes grubbing about in the mud for a rusty knife than casting world changing magic from the back of a dragon. .
    You could try the Gotrek & Felix series; not D&D but should give you the feel you're out for and Warhammer world is very similar to D&D to be honest. The first omnibook should come in single digit euro price range on something like Awesomebooks or Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

just finished reading the name of the wind,good enough read, felt it was a bit drawn out.liked it but wasnt blown away by it like a lot of people seem to be.

Thought they both dragged a bit in places but were enjoyable. I think the second one was a little better than the first but if the first didn't blow you away the second won't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Got a Kindle recently so I've been milling through stuff.

Currently on SM Stirling's Sword of the lady

Before that was Hugh Howey's Wool, which i loved.

Marcus Sakey's Brilliance was good too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What do people think of the Mistborn Trilogy? Im reading it but its all a bit meh to be honest, constant repitition of the same things over and over and over, the trilogy I have on my Ereader is 2200 pages long, Ive read 1200 of them and another author would have covered what Ive read so far in 300 pages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

ixoy wrote: »
    19% into "The Flames of Shadam Khoreh" by Bradley P. Beaulieu. It's the final book in his "The Lays of Anuskaya" trilogy.
    Still enjoying this series, which is a nice breath of fresh air taking a Russian-influenced land as opposed to the standard-Western European one. Building on nicely from the previous two books.
    Just started 'The winds of Khalakovo' last night, EU2.21 on google, nice.

Looks interesting but looks like a cast of thousands:(

5live wrote: »
    Just started 'The winds of Khalakovo' last night, EU2.21 on google, nice.

Looks interesting but looks like a cast of thousands:(

Stick with it, if you can pull yourself away from the Utd thread.

It's the opposite of Sanderson, where there isn't much exposition and little info dumps but it gradually becomes clear and it's a great book.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Stick with it, if you can pull yourself away from the Utd thread.

It's the opposite of Sanderson, where there isn't much exposition and little info dumps but it gradually becomes clear and it's a great book.
    That thread used be funny but the LFC superthread is far funnier atm:D

That thread used be funny but the LFC superthread is far funnier atm:D

It's all going to come crashing down and the fallout will be spectacular. Many will be exiled and a house of cards will be built.
    Now it's all pulling together like the Roman Empire, soon it will crumble into a chaos something like the broken empire seen in Prince of Thorns.

Btw read Prince of Thorns, tis good.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    It's all going to come crashing down and the fallout will be spectacular. Many will be exiled and a house of cards will be built.
    Now it's all pulling together like the Roman Empire, soon it will crumble into a chaos something like the broken empire seen in Prince of Thorns.

Btw read Prince of Thorns, tis good.
    I enjoyed Prince but i would prefer King. The sci-fi piece intruding into fantasy with the blowing up of the fortress felt like a simple crutch to carry the story. I thought that piece took from the story, for me.

King was much better with the development of Jorg and the reasons for the path he travelled. I plan to download Empire soon, as soon as i dont have to sell my firstborn to do it:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Finished Malice by John Gwynne. It is the first time reading the author and was impressed. Nice balance of character and plot (coming of age) combining to give a worthwhile read.

I enjoyed Prince but i would prefer King. The sci-fi piece intruding into fantasy with the blowing up of the fortress felt like a simple crutch to carry the story. I thought that piece took from the story, for me.

King was much better with the development of Jorg and the reasons for the path he travelled. I plan to download Empire soon, as soon as i dont have to sell my firstborn to do it:D

King was much better, just said Prince as its the intro book.
    Lawrence has the ability to write some lovely observations in Jorg's point of view.
    There is a new series with a new protagonist coming out in the summer, interesting to see if the author can replicate the quality.
    I also haven't read Emperor yet but I have the book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finished Chimera which is the last book in "the Subterrene war" trilogy and by far the strongest one of the three. If you're into a close future style story on earth and it's society it's very interesting. Sadly it looks unlikely he'll produce more adult SF any time soon if ever but it's definitely a series I'd recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Just finished Anne Rice's The Wolf Gift, beautifully written , well worth reading

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Possibly not if you didn't like it but then it's only £1.49 this month on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Eschaton series by Charles Stross.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just finished Silverthorn and am about a third of the way through A Darkness at Sethanon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Sleepy wrote: »
    Just finished Silverthorn and am about a third of the way through A Darkness at Sethanon.
    It's a bit of a rite of passage that trilogy it seems. Though few would appear to have fond memories on mature reflection!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was obsessed with them when I was younger but the whole series was such a grind to get through by the end, no clue who half the people I was reading about were supposed to be, you got to see characters giving birth to the exact same characters and having them go do the same stuff a generation later, and their grandchildren! Magician was a great read if you'd never read any fantasy back then though.

@Thargor
    That's exactly what I meant. Everybody seems to have read them as their first fantasy novels (well, maybe after The Hobbit) and had no reference points when they did so.
    I myself bought book 3 by accident not even particularly knowing what a trilogy was at that age. I thought it was the bees knees, now I'm glad I've only read book 3! (I did try one of the more recent ones though, which was, yes, a mistake)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    It's a bit of a rite of passage that trilogy it seems. Though few would appear to have fond memories on mature reflection!
    I read all 29 books in the extended series :) And no, they're not really worth it although the last book gave fairly decent closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Finished Knife of Dreams last night. The consensus I'd seen online seemed to be that it was somewhat of a return to form for RJ. Perhaps that sentiment comes off from how tedious the previous installment had been and I do appreciate the fact that he finally wrapped up some of the more dreary threads, but I can't say I entirely agree.

It's okay, probably the best since the seventh, but not any kind of stunning return to form and Tarmon Gai'don still seems frustratingly far off. It certainly didn't feel like an penultimate entry in an originally 12 book series... did Jordan really think he could wrap things up in one more book?

Looking forward to moving on to the first of the Sanderson WOT novels now. I'm a big fan so I'm sure I'll feel that it's an improvement regardless, at least in terms of writing style, but I sure hope things start, y'know, happening now and we start moving towards some kind of climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

Just finished reading the wise mans fear.i liked the name of the wind but this was very disappointing.first half is quite good but when he gets to felirian plot the whole thing falls apart.i won't get into what happens with the fae but ill just say its embarrassingly bad.

Another thing is the plot makes hardly any progress in its entire 1000 pages,we gain no knowledge on the chandrian considering their the major villains.

One last complaint, denna,she is one of the most annoying characters I've read in a while,I get it she's beautiful,no one understands her and she likes to go wandering,yawn.what kwothe sees in her ill never understand,he should go for Devi who's far more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Just finished reading the wise mans fear.i liked the name of the wind but this was very disappointing.first half is quite good but when he gets to felirian plot the whole thing falls apart.i won't get into what happens with the fae but ill just say its embarrassingly bad.

Another thing is the plot makes hardly any progress in its entire 1000 pages,we gain no knowledge on the chandrian considering their the major villains.

One last complaint, denna,she is one of the most annoying characters I've read in a while,I get it she's beautiful,no one understands her and she likes to go wandering,yawn.what kwothe sees in her ill never understand,he should go for Devi who's far more interesting.

Yeah, the first was good, the second was absolutely awful, it made me not want to go any further with the series.

yea cant say ill be getting the third book,shame because ive been on a good thing with fantasy lately,really enjoyed blood song by anthony ryan,read joe abercrombies blade itself trilogy and his other novels all well worth reading and have read scott lynchs gentlman bastards series,first one excellent the sequels a bit uneven but still worth reading.

what are david gemmels books like,never read any of them but they were a big influence on blood song which was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

yea cant say ill be getting the third book,shame because ive been on a good thing with fantasy lately,really enjoyed blood song by anthony ryan,read joe abercrombies blade itself trilogy and his other novels all well worth reading and have read scott lynchs gentlman bastards series,first one excellent the sequels a bit uneven but still worth reading.

what are david gemmels books like,never read any of them but they were a big influence on blood song which was excellent

I can see why.

David Gemmell's Books, are probably the Prototypical Heroic Fantasy. Very easy to read and very action-packed. Yup, just like Blood Song.

I'm sure you'll like his Books. My Favorites are his Drenai and Stones of Power Series, but I enjoyed all of them.

Also try out Miles Cameron's Traitor Son Cycle, it's just as good as Blood Song.

thanks for the recomendations,must get a few samples on my kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Just finished Ian M Banks' Matter..
    I love his stuff, each book is a complete piece , no realizing with 50 pages to go that you're going to have to wait for book 2/3or even four to get some conclusion (longer the series the worse they get)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Finished PKD's Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said. Not as good as I thought it might be. The inevitable "not who he thinks he is" thing was lame TBH, and the whole story was set in a quite depressing police state with nary a mention of a rebellion to cheer things up. Some really weird and irrelevant monologues too that I guess were the result of a bee in PKD's bonnet about something or other. Not his best.
    So, on to Peter Hamiltion's Great North Road. The opening setting of a not very futuristic sounding (despite the supposed year) was a bit of a shock, but I'm hoping when the gateway travel kicks in it'll pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Powering through the Fury series by Jim Butcher. I thought I could never read another story with an "elemental" after the Saga of the 7 suns, but this isn't too bad if you like the superhero romans fighting superwolves genre.

Advertisement