Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭shootermacg

growler wrote: »
    Powering through the Fury series by Jim Butcher. I thought I could never read another story with an "elemental" after the Saga of the 7 suns, but this isn't too bad if you like the superhero romans fighting superwolves genre.

I actually enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir. I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, it's a fascinating survival tale and I can see exactly where it comes from with the Apollo 13 inspiration. On the other hand, it got repetitive very quickly for me, and some of the science - while brilliant - seemed to become a bit Star Trek "insert di-lithium crystal techno-babble here" at times. I don't mean it's unrealistic, just that it feels almost overly detailed.

I think it'll make a great movie, and it should probably be on a required reading list for science courses at 2nd or 3rd level. As a novel, it was pretty good, and I'll give it a 6/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I can see why.

David Gemmell's Books, are probably the Prototypical Heroic Fantasy. Very easy to read and very action-packed. Yup, just like Blood Song.

I'm sure you'll like his Books. My Favorites are his Drenai and Stones of Power Series, but I enjoyed all of them.

Also try out Miles Cameron's Traitor Son Cycle, it's just as good as Blood Song.

I just started The Red Knight by Cameron. The story looks good but, sweet Jesus, the punctuation is horrendous.

I find myself growling 'Where's the apostrophe?' louder and louder each sentence. It normally doesn't bother me too much

I must try to ignore it but it's getting me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

5live wrote: »
    I can see why.

David Gemmell's Books, are probably the Prototypical Heroic Fantasy. Very easy to read and very action-packed. Yup, just like Blood Song.

I'm sure you'll like his Books. My Favorites are his Drenai and Stones of Power Series, but I enjoyed all of them.

Also try out Miles Cameron's Traitor Son Cycle, it's just as good as Blood Song.

I just started The Red Knight by Cameron. The story looks good but, sweet Jesus, the punctuation is horrendous.

I find myself growling 'Where's the apostrophe?' louder and louder each sentence. It normally doesn't bother me too much

I must try to ignore it but it's getting me down.

I got about half way through Red Knight and enjoyed it. Can't remember what I enjoyed nor can I remember why I stopped.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I got about half way through Red Knight and enjoyed it. Can't remember what I enjoyed nor can I remember why I stopped.
    I'm glad i only got the sample. I must try Kindle for a sample and hope the punctuation is better.

Sorry, lads. I must be getting old:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finished Area 51: The Reply! Great SF shlock.

Felt the need to redeem myself after enjoying that so I've started reading Focault's Pendulum (again - I started and got sidetracked a few years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Funny, I felt similar after enjoying the Riftwar Trilogy so I started Orwell's 1984 the other night!

I'm glad i only got the sample. I must try Kindle for a sample and hope the punctuation is better.

Sorry, lads. I must be getting old:(

The Kindle version has ALL the punctuation that the Google version doesn't.

The Kindle version has ALL the punctuation that the Google version doesn't.

Just buy the paper version ya sap.:pac:

Just got the new Robin Hobb Fitz and Fool book, due out in August.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Just finished "To Honor You Call Us" by Honsinger, H. Paul . Fairly low brow but enjoyable 'inspired adaptation' of the Patrick O'Brian novels into space warfare.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 mqq

Oh,I haven't read for a long time just because of the busy work.But the latest book I read is a Chinese book ,named ‘Youth Who Are Not Confused'.I worth reading especially you are confused in your life.

Just buy the paper version ya sap.:pac:

Just got the new Robin Hobb Fitz and Fool book, due out in August.:D

Pffft...paper is soooo last millennium, Saptimus Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Been busy reading a few Dick Francis books lately to take a break from sci-fi/fantasy.

Just finished Heaven's Queen, which is the final book in a trilogy about a female mercenary. The first two books were great (not often you get a really strong female protagonist) but then the last book was disappointing. Very little fighting and a lot of "oh how can I ever trust him again" for the first half. I don't mind a bit of romance, but they killed the character. The universe and the history around it was pretty interesting, but the author didn't go into that but mainly focused on two characters.

Finished The Blade Itself, really enjoyed it, but again, very little action. It seemed like it was building up for something and then the book finished. I thought some people were important, but nope, they got left behind. No one is asking "why me", they are just going along with things. I'm liking it but it's just frustrating because it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

68% into "The Straight-Razor Cure" by Daniel Polansky, the first book in his "Low Town" series. It's a sort of noir-fantasy detective series, set in the fictional "slum" of Low Town. Quite enjoying it so far - moves along at a neat pace and definitely worth the £0.99 I paid for it (as a Daily Deal).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished The Winds of Khalakovo, never really got into it and don't think I'll bother with the rest of the series.
    Then read Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill, which was quite good. You can see he has taken some inspiration from his father.
    Now I've just stared Towers of Midnight, hoping to finish off WoT this year finally!

Currently, Matter by Iain M Banks. 100 pages in and a great read. I've surprised myself by how frequently I return to Excession - especially the section (page 240 in the paperback edition I have) where "Everything went swimmingly until the second day" when the Sleeper Service leaves the Yawning Angel behind - apart from the inspired names of the ships, the writing is superb. A thoroughly recommended author - RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Currently, Matter by Iain M Banks. 100 pages in and a great read. I've surprised myself by how frequently I return to Excession - especially the section (page 240 in the paperback edition I have) where "Everything went swimmingly until the second day" when the Sleeper Service leaves the Yawning Angel behind - apart from the inspired names of the ships, the writing is superb. A thoroughly recommended author - RIP
    I'm so glad I've only read a few of his books. The rest of them are something I can always look forward to if nothing else is to hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm on book 13 of the wheel of time.

Years ago I read this series I stopped at 10. Started a few months back from book 1 enjoyed it and this time I've made it to the end.

Really enjoyed Matter. Hated Excession. :P

There's only a couple of Banks' SF I've not read and I'm saving them now for the proverbial rainy book day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Actually stopped reading for a while to watch Battlestar Galactica - on season two and it's pretty good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

beauf wrote: »
    I'm on book 13 of the wheel of time.

Years ago I read this series I stopped at 10. Started a few months back from book 1 enjoyed it and this time I've made it to the end.

Heh, I just started book 13 too.:cool:

I must say, I was growing disillusioned with the series until Book 12. Sanderson really seems to have breathed new life into the series with what was probably the best one since The Shadow Rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My fav series apart from The Nights Dawn trilogy but refresh my memory please what bit is that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Alistair Reynolds "Harvest of Time". A cracking take on the Pertwee incarnation of everyone's favourite Timelord. Didn't reckon I'd enjoy it much, as haven't read Doctor Who for a very, very long time & Pertwee was never my favourite version. That said, Reynolds has got it just fine and the humour and craziness of the era (70's/80's) is present.

I broke my kindle!!!!

I broke my kindle!!!!
    You are getting quite destructive lately, first your foot, now your Kindle:D

Get the kindle app on your phone. I must admit to rarely using my kindle since i got a smartphone:)

You are getting quite destructive lately, first your foot, now your Kindle:D

Get the kindle app on your phone. I must admit to rarely using my kindle since i got a smartphone:)

I broke it with my foot! Stupid boot.

I broke it with my foot! Stupid boot.
    YOU'RE A SAP!!!

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Contact Amazon. I've never broke my Kindle but a mate of mine sat on his. He told Amazon this and they still replaced it for free.

Contact Amazon. I've never broke my Kindle but a mate of mine sat on his. He told Amazon this and they still replaced it for free.

Really? It wasn't got from Amazon though, got it as a present and it was bought in Dixons.

• Advertisement

Really? It wasn't got from Amazon though, got it as a present and it was bought in Dixons.
    Call Amazon anyway. You might get lucky - they go to great lengths to ensure that people have Kindles so they will buy their books!

They replaced two for me free of charge.

Advertisement