Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thargor wrote: »
    Ive yet to read a self published book that didn't annoy me for all the reasons you list, cant get any enjoyment out of them at all and there have been a couple like those zombie/DIY survival books and The Martian that Ive guessed were self published before I looked them up, just on the quality of the writing.

There are plenty of high quality self-published books* out there (like you mentioned Wool & The Martian). I'm just a bit surprised that one so clearly unready could not only get some sales, but get to the top of the sales charts.

* Bias disclaimer: I've helped publish two "self-published" books (for others) and I'd never in a million years let them away without several serious rounds of editing plus test readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Didn't know Wool was self published, never heard of it until I saw it in the shops. The Martian was an example of a piss poor book that probably wouldnt have got a deal if it wasnt for the self publishing fad, so badly written and bland, with an abrupt ending like I used to put on my English essays in school when I wanted to watch home and away.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Just purchased Crimson Campaign and Tower Lord...while still having 2 unfinished books ahead of it! Really looking forward to reading them!!

Currently reading Tigana by Guy Gavrial Kay. First of his books I've read but really enjoying it so far!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

A Dance With Dragons part 2. Hurrah!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

76% into "Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson, the first in a trilogy. One of those sci-fi BFO novels, I'm enjoying it. It's focused a little more on the human side and perhaps missing out on how the BFO is affecting the world (only referenced in the background) but it's been worth it so far and I'll probably catch up on the sequels.
    The Martian was an example of a piss poor book that probably wouldnt have got a deal if it wasnt for the self publishing fad, so badly written and bland, with an abrupt ending like I used to put on my English essays in school when I wanted to watch home and away.
    Really? I enjoyed this one and how much the author had planned out how you'd survive on Mars. Good line in self deprecating humour. Well worth the price I paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Finished that Assassin's Apprentice book in the end. It was ok I suppose, improved a bit although there's little to none of him actually training as or being an assassin in it.

Not much actually happens in it and even then it feels like the next book would probably need a mountain more exposition before the series could actually get going. How many books are actually in it?

Would probably read the next book alright having said that, going to give this Powdermages thing a spin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Just Finished the first powder mage book. Was grand , I thought the title sounded meh so hadn't read it till now.

GG Kay has some class books , I thought the lions of assaran and sailing to sarantium were both really excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

keane2097 wrote: »
    Finished that Assassin's Apprentice book in the end. It was ok I suppose, improved a bit although there's little to none of him actually training as or being an assassin in it.

Not much actually happens in it and even then it feels like the next book would probably need a mountain more exposition before the series could actually get going. How many books are actually in it?

Would probably read the next book alright having said that, going to give this Powdermages thing a spin now.

3 in the original trilogy and I would recommend continuing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Started Tower Lord (Raven's Shadow, #2), which arrived on my Kindle yesterday.

I won't be posting in this thread for a while. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finished Dragonfly Falling (second book in the Shadows of the Apt series) and while I found the first to be relatively slow (but picking up towards the end) I really found this one to move at a much better pace even with multiple stories crossing paths etc. Definitely a very unusual universe and there's several major plots due to convene in the books to come.

• Advertisement

The last one - Seal of the Worm - is apparently released yesterday! Great news, thought that would be 2015 at least, seems like only a couple of weeks ago I read Warmasters Gate, hope I can find it somewhere for the rainy weekend, it really was a good series.

The last one - Seal of the Worm - is apparently released yesterday! Great news, thought that would be 2015 at least, seems like only a couple of weeks ago I read Warmasters Gate, hope I can find it somewhere for the rainy weekend, it really was a good series.
    'The Air War' is next for me. Enjoyed all the books really but am particularly looking forward to seeing how he ramps up events for the final three instalments.

He's also published the entire series of ten books in a time frame when GRRM has published one. I love when authors are both prolific and deliver good series.

35% into "Half a King" by Joe Abercrombie, the first in his new 'Shattered Sea' trilogy. It's made suitable for a YA audience but it's still got some of his trademark touches: black humour, characters with degrees of self-loathing, a quest for revenge all set against a decent world.
    It's fairly short (350 page mark) and I'm enjoying it so far. Due to the brevity it means he'll be releasing the next two instalments next year so won't be waiting too long for this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Just finished the Ragnarok trilogy by John Meany. So many good points in this series; interesting world, lots of plot threads and epic storyline but but but...some of the plot lines were utterly tedious and ludicrously tenuous in terms of the storyline. The 'science' bits of it were either ridiculous or so completely over my head that I was left in a perpetual state of bafflement. The characters were a mixed bunch of interesting'ish baddies and utterly forgettable everyone-else. There was also some super boring crap about norse mythology, kung-fu fighting and rather transparent political moralising, all of which detracted from the book.

The first book was good, the second ok and the third an absolute battle to get through. I suspect the ambition to write a rollicking bit of space opera was present and correct however the execution was bit lacking and it definitely unravelled over the series. Shame really.

ixoy wrote: »
    35% into "Half a King" by Joe Abercrombie, the first in his new 'Shattered Sea' trilogy. It's made suitable for a YA audience but it's still got some of his trademark touches: black humour, characters with degrees of self-loathing, a quest for revenge all set against a decent world.
    It's fairly short (350 page mark) and I'm enjoying it so far. Due to the brevity it means he'll be releasing the next two instalments next year so won't be waiting too long for this series.
    Thanks for that, have it on my reader but will leave it alone now, wont be that disciplined with Tower Lord though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Read the first 2 books of the 7 forges. Quite interesting overall , give it 3.5/5 . Lots of stuff hinted at and to be teased out , which kept me reading and good mix of harsh world/enviorment and some unexpected humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

Doing a re-read of Ray E. Feist's stuff. It's been 6 years and I never read to the end. Think I missed out on the last 2 or 3 books. Almost finished Magician. This should keep me going for a while.

On the first book of the Powdermages at the moment. About six chapters in I think. Liking it a lot so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Reading Tower Lord (Anthony Ryan). Firstly I really liked Blood Song, yes it was a little "by the numbers" in terms of plot but it really grabbed me and I enjoyed it.

This second book however better improve pretty fast, as at present I'm hating it, just seems poor compared to the first and the multiple-point of view narrative adds nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The Crippled God.

Doing my Malazan reread including all the supplement novels. Have this then Blood and Bone and hopefully Assail will be out by the time I finish BaB.

• Advertisement

and hopefully Assail will be out by the time I finish BaB.
    As in Forkul Assail? A book all about them? Want!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

As in Forkul Assail? A book all about them? Want!

Dunno, it's a book about the continent of Assail but we know so little about it that it could be about them.

Was it you who suggested the Malazan Reread of the Fallen to me a while ago? On phone so cant search, but it was a very good suggestion anyway, I thought it was too long to read as a summary but once I was in it I was enjoying it as much as the books, would recommend it to anyone, and the conversations between the Malazan virgin and the expert as it goes on are great aswell, Id say I was missing 30-40% of the chance encounters and other things like that before I read them, saving The Crippled God for my holidays now and then Ill probably go back and read the supplementary novels which I wasnt going to bother with before.

Was it you who suggested the Malazan Reread of the Fallen to me a while ago? On phone so cant search, but it was a very good suggestion anyway, I thought it was too long to read as a summary but once I was in it I was enjoying it as much as the books, would recommend it to anyone, and the conversations between the Malazan virgin and the expert as it goes on are great aswell, Id say I was missing 30-40% of the chance encounters and other things like that before I read them, saving The Crippled God for my holidays now and then Ill probably go back and read the supplementary novels which I wasnt going to bother with before.

Twas me:
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Malazan Reread of the Fallen might be what you're looking for...

http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

Glad it did the job.

Ah thanks, a must read for anyone who likes the series tbh, peen picking off a few chapters a day in work and it gives me a way clearer picture of the Warrrens, geography, factions, Elder Gods etc, Id stopped reading it up until that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Rhesus Chart by Charles Stross, it's the next Bob Howard Laundry files book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just finished House of chains again and started Cryptonomicon, must plan something light for the next book

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Wouldn't be SciFi but pretty sure it counts as fantasy.

I'm rereading the Walking Dead books, absolutely love them.

I've all the Games Of Thrones books that I got for Christmas that I need to start reading aswell :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Currently reading Glen Cook's chronicles of the black company - omnibus editions, containing multiple individual stories which I assume were released singularly back in the day. Certainly they feel that way and have a short pulpish feel to them, have to say I'm really enjoying them when starting the first I was feeling a bit iffy regarding the style - probably just the sudden shake up from pretty much everything else out there but I'm actually thoroughly enjoying them. I remember a while back some here mentioned them and didn't think so much of them, I'd also heard a lot about how they influenced Erikson who we all know is quite popular here!

Its funny as I read gardens of the moon years ago but it never really did anything for me So im kinda confused as to why I'm enjoying the black company so much :P Maybe I'll give Erikson another chance in the future but right now I'm certainly in agreement with those that like the black company - great books that have slid under the radar for years, yet are still regarded as great by the few that have read 'em. A comment from a reviewer on amazon
    I found particularly apt and sums them up perfectly was "A Band of Brothers set against a fantasy backdrop" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

finished reading the third mistborn book,really enjoyed the series,first books ive read of sanderson and must say hes a great storyteller.also thought this had a lovely bittersweet ending.

Advertisement