Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    But two extremely long books, longer than some series out there.

Somehing a bit lighter would be Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant books. Mot sure how many, I think five, and the series isn't drawn to a conclusion yet but so e fun to be had. Just make sure not to read it on your kindle, as magic will play havoc with it. :P

Yeah finished Rivers of London there last week and thought it was quite enjoyable. Wouldn't be in a mad rush to get the next one but could see myself picking it up sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Trojan wrote: »
    Finished Wool (1-5). Very good read, I look forward to reading more from Howey & Silo universe.
    Probably technically not even scifi
    . 4-5/5.
    Is there more besides Wool 1-5? I thought 1-5 included Shift and the others, maybe Im confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Thargor wrote: »
    Is there more besides Wool 1-5? I thought 1-5 included Shift and the others, maybe Im confused...

Woll is 1-5
    Shift is 6-8
    Dust is 9

Ah thanks, I read them all in one big ebook so they blurred together, good series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

There is a good offer on Amazon Kindle for the next Joe Abercrombie book 'Half a King' delivered on July 3rd for $7.32

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    There is a good offer on Amazon Kindle for the next Joe Abercrombie book 'Half a King' delivered on July 3rd for $7.32
    Oh god not another new series to torment me for years wondering whether I should start it now or wait for it to finish in a few years time. Some good reviews of it from GRRM and others aswell, sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I'm going to Echo the others Recommendation, about McClellan's Powder Mage Trilogy.

After devouring his extremely satisfying Book 1 (Promise of Blood), as well as some Novellas set in the same Universe, I'm already knee-deep in the Sequel (Crimson Campaign).

I think Promise of Blood is a much better Debut than Blood Song, but a just a tad lower than Red Knight, among the newer Fantasy Series that's been released recently.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finished 'Promise of Blood' and enjoyed all of it. Will be picking up the sequel and the novellas.

18% now into 'Rapture' by Kameron Hurley, the final part of her Bel Dame Apocrypha series. Gritty as hell and I really like the world she's created with its fusion of bug tech, religion, and elements of tech that are borderline magic.
    5live wrote: »
    And yet there's no mention of any Kindle edition for the UK market which I'm with :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm going to Echo the others Recommendation, about McClellan's Powder Mage Trilogy.

After devouring his extremely satisfying Book 1 (Promise of Blood), as well as some Novellas set in the same Universe, I'm already knee-deep in the Sequel (Crimson Campaign).

I think Promise of Blood is a much better Debut than Blood Song, but a just a tad lower than Red Knight, among the newer Fantasy Series that's been released recently.

Think I will have to disagree with you on your view of Blood Song and Red Knight. I've only finished Blood Song out of the both and I felt it was better.
    More focused than Red Knight, which tended to jump around a lot but Red Knight felt a bit more original than Blood Song.
    Blood Song was like an stew your mam use to make, which you haven't had in a while because your taste has become a bit more refined. But you still hanker after the stew and a lot of pretenders came along in recent years promising the stew but they were all over salted. Blood Song came along and was almost as good as the old stew and reminded you a lot of it. Stew is comfort food, meaty, unchallenging and unadventurous but satisfying all the same.
    I should really finish Red Knight soon. And cook some stew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Think I will have to disagree with you on your view of Blood Song and Red Knight. I've only finished Blood Song out of the both and I felt it was better.
    More focused than Red Knight, which tended to jump around a lot but Red Knight felt a bit more original than Blood Song.
    Blood Song was like an stew your mam use to make, which you haven't had in a while because your taste has become a bit more refined. But you still hanker after the stew and a lot of pretenders came along in recent years promising the stew but they were all over salted. Blood Song came along and was almost as good as the old stew and reminded you a lot of it. Stew is comfort food, meaty, unchallenging and unadventurous but satisfying all the same.
    I should really finish Red Knight soon. And cook some stew.

Put on a bit extra, I'll be over in an hour...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just pre-ordered Tower Lord: Book 2 of Raven's Shadow' by Anthony Ryan, from Amazon. £6.99 for the Kindle edition.

July 3rd!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

Finished Jim Butcher's Codex Alera. Satisfying enough read. The ending could have been better and the series as a whole has a few flaws. We all like against-all-odds battles but some here were a bit unbelievable. At least in Gemmell's Druss stuff you wondered if the good guys would prevail. A bit safe on the whole.

Some good characters though. Not a bad magic system and the setting was pretty cool.

Going to restart the Ray Feist books next as I never finished the series and it's now a few years ago so need a re-read to refresh my memory.

Started reading whatever the first book in the Farseer trilogy is called - worth carrying on with? Seems ok-ish so far although the names of the characters are extremely annoying.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Started reading whatever the first book in the Farseer trilogy is called - worth carrying on with? Seems ok-ish so far although the names of the characters are extremely annoying.

Thought it was a great trilogy myself. I wouldn't be as well versed as a lot of folk here, but it's one of my favourite fantasy series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Stick with it.

Like Valaquenta have said, it's one of the Best Fantasy Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

always enjoyed Hobbs worlds and stories, but just never enjoyed his style tbh.

*her style, even :)

Valaquenta wrote: »
    *her style, even :)

lol, sorry yes her style. just shows how little i pay attention to the authors really :P

lol, sorry yes her style. just shows how little i pay attention to the authors really :P

I've been guilty of similar myself more than once!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Stick with it.

Like Valaquenta have said, it's one of the Best Fantasy Series.
    I'll go the other way and say drop it. I found the whole series (and the follow up one) to be over all boring and far to preachy for my taste.

• Advertisement

Id say one of the best fantasy series of all time tbh.

Farseer first trilogy is excellent, madship traders trilogy is excellent, second Fraser trilogy is good and the dragon focused one I haven't read.

I quite enjoyed the original trilogy and Hobb can really manipulate your emotions.

Another series I rate as one of the best of all time is the Three Worlds Cycle by Ian Irvine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Worlds_Cycle

Dont think Ive ever seen them mentioned on Boards.ie and they are seriously good books, excellent world building and characters.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

the dragon focused one I haven't read.
    Just finished 'The Rainwilds' series (the dragon-focused one). Probably the weakest of the four series set in the world but still good and she hasn't lost her touch with characterisation which, to me, is far and away her strongest quality. It servers as a sequel to both the Liveship Traders and the events of the Tawny man series.

Anything in particular? It's kind of bugging me a bit but not quite sure why, besides maybe that it's slow as ****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm about halfway through Frank Herberts 'Hellstroms Hive', a very 70s apocalyptic tale set around the idea of a subset of humanity modelling itself on the insect world. Everyone knows of or has read Dune, so was curious to.check out Herberts other work, see if anything stood out. There's some lovely turns of phrase in the prose so far, and has a pervasive sense of doomed inevitability in events, typical of the era I think?

ixoy wrote: »
    Just finished 'The Rainwilds' series (the dragon-focused one). Probably the weakest of the four series set in the world but still good and she hasn't lost her touch with characterisation which, to me, is far and away her strongest quality. It servers as a sequel to both the Liveship Traders and the events of the Tawny man series.

Might give it a whirl. My recently finished read has me looking to devour more Hobb material.
    But I see that the first farseer book is only £1.99 at the moment!

Anything in particular? It's kind of bugging me a bit but not quite sure why, besides maybe that it's slow as ****.

These are old memories and recollections so probably way off as i read them a long time ago, but the pace always seemed wrong, and even when there should be huge excitement, there seems to be this calmness that pervades her writing. Even the dialogues seem infused with Prozac.

Picked up Boonie by Richard Masson for a couple of euro last week and read it yesterday in pretty much one sitting. It's not a bad little dystopian tale and there are echoes of The Road throughout though it does loose itself near the end and a few of the twists are a little obvious. Still it's a perfectly enjoyable tale and it's a real shame that Masson died so soon after it was published as he was a telent to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Finished the Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence last night. Must say I really enjoyed the series, read Emperor of Thorns in one sitting.

Loved how he made me support Jorg, a character who would be the villain in a lot of books! Just done really well!

Advertisement