Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3b - Physical Competence Test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

Paolo5 wrote: »
    I did the PCT today and passed. Everyone up to me had passed too. There was a list on the wall of about 40/50 people doing it today. Anyone that I spoke to had not heard anything about November and had all checks complete etc.

There seems to be a serious bottle neck forming now with people completing the PCT and waiting on an offer.

With 400 places next year that probably means 100 x 4 and there are lots of people just waiting on final approval and a call now!

Good luck to anyone preparing for it ...

Well done Paolo thats gr8 you passed im still waiting on a call for a medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

I did the PCT today and passed. Everyone up to me had passed too. There was a list on the wall of about 40/50 people doing it today. Anyone that I spoke to had not heard anything about November and had all checks complete etc.

There seems to be a serious bottle neck forming now with people completing the PCT and waiting on an offer.

With 400 places next year that probably means 100 x 4 and there are lots of people just waiting on final approval and a call now!

well done paolo. you must be delighted. how did you find the pct ? was it harder or easier than you thought it would be ? any tips too be great .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

well done paolo. i did the medical last week. got deferred. the doctor in garda hq wants to read over reports on an operation i had about 10yrs ago before she passes me. i had to get them sent up. that slows up my process anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

fair play, we saw ya all waitin in the corridor as we were goin into a first aid lecture in same corridor. what time did ya get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jakestephens

I did my PCT aswel yesterday, went grand not a bother! it is a bit tougher than you think though, especially the third lap cause ya start getting a bit tired, overall though i found it fine! i think the part that takes it out of you most is pulling the manikin. The push pull is fine aswel. Just waiting for that call now to head down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

Paolo/Jake,

Well done on passing the PCT yesterday. Must be great to get through everything eventhough the waiting now must get worse.

Everybody seemed to be passing yesterday? That sounds good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Cheers everyone.

To be honest I found it fairly handy. I play sport so had reasonable fitness going into it and did no special prep. I set out at a half decent pace but was in no way sprinting as there is no real space to anyway. After the first lap I was at 51 secs so I knew just to keep that up and I would be under the 3 mins to get the weight reduction. The guys helping out were sound and spoke through the whole thing. I finished in 2.31 and dont know how that fairs but a pass is a pass so may as well have been 3.19. Push & Pull was 58 again dont know how that fairs but a pass is a pass. I was only there for lads so did not see how the girls got on as they seemed to be after us and I left to avoid traffic on the way home.

I am not sure if there are tips for the course as such but you do need some standard of fitness. Maybe get used to running 3/4 pace for 3 mins for your stamina and practise hoping over a gate!

yeah would agree wit paolo alrite!! jus make sure ur reasonably fit and able to run!!!!!!!!! If you play any sports you'll be grand. poalo wher you in at half 9 yesterday or the afternoon????

I was 2pm.

ah rite i was in at half 9!! great to be finished everything, but im not too confident of making november, keep hearing its full but sure we'll wait and see!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

fareplay to yis lads ye are in now just a matter of waiting. it will come;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

gratz to who ever passed, i went up to perv at you all on wed but ye were all gone by the time i got up there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    gratz to who ever passed, i went up to perv at you all on wed but ye were all gone by the time i got up there :(
    Mason you should be studying for CPS on monday not looking for someone to chat up!!!
    Congrats to all who passed PCT. Especially Paolo hang in there man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Haz33 wrote: »
    Mason you should be studying for CPS on monday not looking for someone to chat up!!!
    Congrats to all who passed PCT. Especially Paolo hang in there man.

cps pfffttt whats that!!

Cheers Haz. I have set a deadline ... if not in by May I will prob step away but will see at the time.

Checks still not 100% though so it could be longer. Nightmare and more and more are at my stage with clear checks .........

Maybe just not meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Cheers Haz. I have set a deadline ... if not in by May I will prob step away but will see at the time.

Checks still not 100% though so it could be longer. Nightmare and more and more are at my stage with clear checks .........

Maybe just not meant to be.

Are the checks not completed before you did the PCT? They used to be when I went down a couple of years ago.

I realise you have waited a long time for this and in reality the process will probably be longer this time seeing that they are reducing the numbers going into the college this year but I strongly advise you to keep at it. It would be an awful waste of time, effort and emotional stress on your part to walk away without any sort of good or bad confirmation.

Just play a wait and see game. Easier said than done I know but at least you can say you did everything you could rather than kicking yourself in the future.

TheNog

Folks,

Succesfull has been banned for at least 10 days from this forum for attempting to sell copyrighted material despite a warning from Chief and I have given a warning to one poster who breached the forum charter by mentioning this product and where it came from. Any further breaches of the charter will be dealt with fairly but please keep in mind the charter is there to protect users and boards.ie.

If you feel a poster is trolling, spamming (in this case) or breaching the charter in any way please use the Report button. It can be found on each post on the bottom left, third one in. Myself and the Mods can then review it and take action if needed.

thanks

TheNog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jolies

soundlad wrote: »
    well done Jolies. how did you find the physical ? any word on you making november ?

Yeah Physical was ok.... 3mins an 3 seconds and 33 push an pull... :D
    Glad i did the Trial though on the Saturday Before as i had a fair idea what to expect for Wed....
    No word on November, they said Hr will be in contact in a Week but sure who knows just gonna have to wait and see... with all the rumours going around its best off to sit tight...

Jolies wrote: »
    Yeah Physical was ok.... 3mins an 3 seconds and 33 push an pull... :D
    Glad i did the Trial though on the Saturday Before as i had a fair idea what to expect for Wed....
    No word on November, they said Hr will be in contact in a Week but sure who knows just gonna have to wait and see... with all the rumours going around its best off to sit tight...

on the day do they let you do a practice run of the course or are you straight in doing it ? have mine wednesday and im really really nervous :(

on the day do they let you do a practice run of the course or are you straight in doing it ? have mine wednesday and im really really nervous :(

There is no need to be nervous at all. All the instructors you will meet want everyone to pass. If you are not able to get in a practice run have a look at the people before you and spot the difficulties such as walking the boards, the cones and the barrier you go underneath. These are where people will lose time on.

Walking the boards - two boards approx 4-5 inches in width with the boards at 90 degrees angle. Some people go too quickly onto the boards and lose their balance so its no harm to pause a second to compose yourself here.

The cones - you will have to slalom the cones but make sure you do not hit off one

The barrier - is approx 4 feet in height and you have to duck under it and make a 3-4 ft jump straight after it. Usually people rise too quickly and knock the barrier off

All of these would require you to go back to a marker before the obstacle and go again. The most important thing is to pace yourself. There is no need to go sprinting off from the start because you will wear yourself out quickly if you are not very fit.

The push-pull machine is not too hard but make sure you utilitise the strength in your arms and legs together.

If you fail any part of it you will get a second chance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Have the pct on wednesday!! Is there anything to be worried about??

Best of luck to everyone whose doing them at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

Have the pct on wednesday!! Is there anything to be worried about??

Best of luck to everyone whose doing them at the moment!

you should be fine...pace yourself you dont need to nearly kill yourself sprinting around..be careful not to make silly mistakes like knocking cones or the pole or falling off the beam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PaulCork

Did mine in 2:43 and 33 on the push pull
    The only thing that's slows you down is the cones.
    The mannequin is surprisingly heavy.
    Other than that, the only thing that slowed ppl down was knockin over the barrier.
    I was lucky enough to go last so I had a good look at the potential hic-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

PaulCork wrote: »
    Did mine in 2:43 and 33 on the push pull
    The only thing that's slows you down is the cones.
    The mannequin is surprisingly heavy.
    Other than that, the only thing that slowed ppl down was knockin over the barrier.
    I was lucky enough to go last so I had a good look at the potential hic-ups.

what you can watch every1 else do it is every1 in the hall then? were you told to bring anything with you on the day besides trackie,

well not a practice run they let everyone walk around it with them and they explain the different areas... i did a practice run on the saturday previous which i found an advantage..
    everything The Nog has said there is pretty much wot you need to know... be careful on cones not to touch them and balance beam afterwards you can be slightly off balance from cones...
    i was told to hold on to railings going up the stairs and i agree with it it doesn seem to take as much outta ya...
    Barrier - dont stand up to early or youl knock it 1 metre mat straight after.. i would say its not that hard but thats easy for me to say now cuz i've passed it.. but on the day i was a bag of nerves and was second last.. so sitting in the hall watching everyone coming back out was funny but scary cuz some of them looked fit to keel over and others were fine...
    Dont forget your water and wear comfortable trackie or shorts i'd say shorts but wotever your comfortable in etc... :D
    Best of luck!!!!!!!!!

goouch wrote: »
    what you can watch every1 else do it is every1 in the hall then? were you told to bring anything with you on the day besides trackie,

Bring Water... and i think shorts are the best option or a comfortable trackie... :)
    Nope your not in the same area as person doing it everyone waits out in the hall.. and there is a list with your name on it... you can look in the door if you like...

How did the girls get on on general?

Alot seemed worried before hand - hopefully all passed after coming this far!

This was a particular problem I saw when doing the PCT myself with ladies who failed the push-pull machine. The handles of the machine are approx 4 to 4 1/2 feet from the ground and are non adjustable but yet the height restriction for the Gardai has been done away it. The best position for the handles is to have them chest height to put all your strength into it.

Hey the day i was there.. all the girls passed bar one girl who failed the push and pull...

• Advertisement

Jolies wrote: »
    Hey the day i was there.. all the girls passed bar one girl who failed the push and pull...

how is everyone set for pct this week ?? best of luck to everyone. have mine wednesday think im set but really nervous bout it .

Advertisement