Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3b - Physical Competence Test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dub chick

haha! did i just write 2 mins above. i was shouting at my brother saying i'llbe with you in '2 mins' and i typed it....i think its time for bed haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Dub chick wrote: »
    haha! did i just write 2 mins above. i was shouting at my brother saying i'llbe with you in '2 mins' and i typed it....i think its time for bed haha!

ha ha its ok dub chick . when you get in and are writing tickets and reports make sure you dont be getting distracted to easily lol :D:D:D
    do you have your pct early next week dub chick ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jillybean

pink star wrote: »
    Hey jillybean...god your lucky you got to try it! I didn't think you could because I was with a big group we had to move along damn!!! I should have gone back but I had to come home to work! Just out of interest what height are you? Apparently its the height that are catching us women out! What weight did you pull??

I waited until the group cleared out of the hall and asked the instructor if I could have a look at the push pull machine and he said it was fine so I was very lucky. I'm 5 foot 11 so height isn't an issue for me, just my lack of strength and coordination!! I dont know what weight I pulled because the thing that calculates what weight you pull wasnt turned on but it was no where near 25 kgs anyway :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dub chick

soundlad wrote: »
    ha ha its ok dub chick . when you get in and are writing tickets and reports make sure you dont be getting distracted to easily lol :D:D:D
    do you have your pct early next week dub chick ?

2 min??? be bloody wrecked!! haha!

No mine is not til 22nd. Not impressed but just gotta sit it out..........i have ants in my pants at this stage! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jakestephens

Passed my medical there on Wednesday and got a physical test date for this Wednesday the 15th! Happy Days! Fingers crossed now for November

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dave-c

hey guys does anybody know when they are recruiting again, i've been tryin to get in for a little while there and just cant seem to find out when the recruiting is......i've registered on publicjobs.ie too and heard nothin back........

anybody help me please and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

dave-c wrote: »
    hey guys does anybody know when they are recruiting again, i've been tryin to get in for a little while there and just cant seem to find out when the recruiting is......i've registered on publicjobs.ie too and heard nothin back........

anybody help me please and thanks

I know there's no definite answer until everybody hears officially but a friend of mine is a seargeant and was saying that there will be a competition opening in Nov and that depending on the budget (ban on recruitment, etc.), this could be the last one for a while. Good in a way as it means that there will be more taken in also.

jwt22 wrote: »
    I know there's no definite answer until everybody hears officially but a friend of mine is a seargeant and was saying that there will be a competition opening in Nov and that depending on the budget (ban on recruitment, etc.), this could be the last one for a while. Good in a way as it means that there will be more taken in also.

hey jwt22, thanks very much for the heads up, but what do you mean by competition??? does this mean its harder to get in???? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Got a pct date for the 22nd. Just wondering how long would you be there and if you where there early would it help?? Also where is the best place to park??

Finally is november definitely full?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Got a pct date for the 22nd. Just wondering how long would you be there and if you where there early would it help?? Also where is the best place to park??

Finally is november definitely full?:confused:

you will be there around an hour / 90 mins max depending on were you are on the list of people to do it. Being early wont matter they will have a list of people to do it in order.

there is parking around the side of the college in the golf car park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    you will be there around an hour / 90 mins max depending on were you are on the list of people to do it. Being early wont matter they will have a list of people to do it in order.

there is parking around the side of the college in the golf car park

Thanks Dr MaSoN. Also do you need to bring everthing with you that it says on the sheet??? Tracksuit and shorts or just a tracksuit, and a pen and paper??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 biddy08

Hi everyone,

Passed me medical Tuesday! Needless to say I was delighted. I was worried about my bmi as it was slightly over but just got told to get fit!! Pct now 22nd oct. Anybody headin down to Templemore tomorrow to try out and get info on the pct!! Scheduled to be there for 2pm meself, should be fun!

hey jwt22, thanks very much for the heads up, but what do you mean by competition??? does this mean its harder to get in???? :confused::confused::confused:

Sorry dave-c, no I just meant there will be an opening for applications next month. Not sure exactly when but going by the fact there was an open day and what I've been told it will be then.
    Thoughts of everything that has to be done but worth it in the end! :p

Sorry dave-c, no I just meant there will be an opening for applications next month. Not sure exactly when but going by the fact there was an open day and what I've been told it will be then.
    Thoughts of everything that has to be done but worth it in the end! :p

Thanks once again jwt22, legend for the help, so hopefully i'll be applying next month. Couldn't make the last open day due to work but i was on the website and stuff so hopefully i get in. are the entry exams hard??

biddy08 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Passed me medical Tuesday! Needless to say I was delighted. I was worried about my bmi as it was slightly over but just got told to get fit!! Pct now 22nd oct. Anybody headin down to Templemore tomorrow to try out and get info on the pct!! Scheduled to be there for 2pm meself, should be fun!

hey biddy. how come you are going down tomorrow ? is there still time to ring and go down if rang in the morning ?

Passed my medical there on Wednesday and got a physical test date for this Wednesday the 15th! Happy Days! Fingers crossed now for November

lucky you jake. i passed my medical on wednesday and got a date for my physical on the 22nd.

Thanks Dr MaSoN. Also do you need to bring everthing with you that it says on the sheet??? Tracksuit and shorts or just a tracksuit, and a pen and paper??

nah just bring what ever you feel comfortable running the pct in.

ie. Shorts and a t shirt.

should be grand. also bring a pen as you have a form or 2 to fill out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 biddy08

Hey Soundlad

I passed my medical on Tuesday and when I went to book my pct thats when I was asked was I interested in going down on Saturday. They had two times available 10am and 2pm I think. Its specifically for the physical competency test. Not sure it its too late dude. I suppose you could ring and see!!

Thanks once again jwt22, legend for the help, so hopefully i'll be applying next month. Couldn't make the last open day due to work but i was on the website and stuff so hopefully i get in. are the entry exams hard??

I went to the open dy but to be honest, it doesn't give you much of an advantage. Just got to see a couple of the classrooms, self-defence class, the mounted unit, cars, etc. Nothing major. Best part was getting to have a look at the pct, reassured me a bit, it's really not that hard looking.
    As for the exams, far as I know it's 3 parts, 1 - aptitude test , theres a few examples in the material you download from public jobs when you apply. Second is verbal reasoning or something, basically picking information out of a paragraph, examples available same as above and 3rd part - watching a vidoe, taking notes and writing your report on the crime. Think thats it for the tests. I know at some stage your also given scenarios and you have to say how you would respond but i'm not sure exactly when you do this.
    (Sorry for the long post!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Best part was getting to have a look at the pct, reassured me a bit, it's really not that hard looking.

Yeah the pct is fairly easy to pass to be honest. There is word they are changing it to a bleep test in the near future though, as it is a better indicator of fitness. I have to say I agree, some people were only getting level 2 or 3 in the bleep test when they ran it in the classes, which is pretty shocking.

• Advertisement

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Yeah the pct is fairly easy to pass to be honest. There is word they are changing it to a bleep test in the near future though, as it is a better indicator of fitness. I have to say I agree, some people were only getting level 2 or 3 in the bleep test when they ran it in the classes, which is pretty shocking.

how did u do in the pct joker? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    how did u do in the pct joker? :pac:

not too bad considering i knocked the beam and went up the stairs instead of lifting the tire!

pvt.joker wrote: »
    not too bad considering i knocked the beam and went up the stairs instead of lifting the tire!

thats a nice way of saying you were slower than me :D

Thanks very much JWT. Very helpful indeed. Now to practise on public jobs and wait until the opening for garda appears on public jobs and apply for it! Cheers bud

Thanks very much JWT. Very helpful indeed. Now to practise on public jobs and wait until the opening for garda appears on public jobs and apply for it! Cheers bud

No bother, best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Howya

I have not looked at any of the documents that I was given re the PCT so the answers may be on that but can people tell me what to bring / wear on the day of the PCT?

I am thinking:
    - appointment letter
    - I.D.
    - tracksuit / shorts / t shirt & runners
    - water bottle
    - towel - can you have a shower afterwards?

Is there anything I am missing?

Cheers

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Howya

I have not looked at any of the documents that I was given re the PCT so the answers may be on that but can people tell me what to bring / wear on the day of the PCT?
    I am thinking:
    - appointment letter
    - I.D.
    - tracksuit / shorts / t shirt & runners
    - water bottle
    - towel - can you have a shower afterwards?
    Is there anything I am missing?
    Cheers

Thats about it Paolo5. You can have a shower afterwards if you wish to. how you set for pct ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fireblade1

Hi I got got my letter re: passin my interview on Tues last week - my interview was on the 26th of sept.
    Im pretty sure it will be the jan/feb intake i should be aiming for but i was wondering will the med & pct for that intake be soon or maybe after christmas?
    Good luck to everyone doing their pct now!
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

hey, is there many pct's going on at the min and has anyone passed them? have mine next tuesday. think i am all set for it, just lost my wallet the other week so have to get my passport sorted from the north. has anybody that completed the pct recently been offered a job for november? also what is the story with the budget? what are the resuts? decreased numbers, slower intakes etc?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

I did the PCT today and passed. Everyone up to me had passed too. There was a list on the wall of about 40/50 people doing it today. Anyone that I spoke to had not heard anything about November and had all checks complete etc.

There seems to be a serious bottle neck forming now with people completing the PCT and waiting on an offer.

With 400 places next year that probably means 100 x 4 and there are lots of people just waiting on final approval and a call now!

Good luck to anyone preparing for it ...

Advertisement