Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3b - Physical Competence Test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Ladyt wrote: »
    Hi ya pvt.joker
    thanks a mill i had it this morning.... cant believe its over. tips wise drag the dummy by his clothing you get a better grip and also take your time on the beam and when you duck under the barrier and jump the mat i lost time the last time doing it .
    on the push pull give it everything you got, get a good stance and use your legs to push and pull
    drink plenty before you go in you will need it the heat in the room is tough going...
    best of luck tomorro the one major bit of advise i can give you is be confident and positive about it i thought i was going to fail first time and i did, today i went in and believed i was going to pass and i did so just believe in yourself!!! may sound corney but it works
    youll do great :)

Fair play to ya ladyt, that's not easy having to do it a second time because you know how tough it was from the first time. Your determination paid off. Delighted you got through the last hurdle after coming so far it doesn't bear thinking about failing at the pct stage. Hope we see you in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Congrats ladyt and best of luck at the PCT tommorow Kaiser:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ladyt

srdb20 wrote: »
    Congrats ladyt and best of luck at the PCT tommorow Kaiser:pac:
    controller wrote: »
    Fair play to ya ladyt, that's not easy having to do it a second time because you know how tough it was from the first time. Your determination paid off. Delighted you got through the last hurdle after coming so far it doesn't bear thinking about failing at the pct stage. Hope we see you in August.

thanks a mill guys im just so happy its done and passed find out today but hope to be able to put faces to code names in few weeks :) how soon after did ye get yer job offers???? i hope August intake isnt full yet!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

i hope August intake isnt full yet!!!!!!!

I was talking to the HQ yesterday and apparently it isn't.

And congrats btw

ojewriej wrote: »
    I was talking to the HQ yesterday and apparently it isn't.

And congrats btw

thanks a mill that has put my mind at ease some what you all set for August :D

• Advertisement

you all set for August :D

I'm packed already. I decided I'm just gonna show up in Templemore, whether they'll call me or not, and hope for the best.

I'm packed already. I decided I'm just gonna show up in Templemore, whether they'll call me or not, and hope for the best.

sorry i thought you had gotten your letter ?????:o

sorry i thought you had gotten your letter ?????:o

Not yet unfortunatelly, but as I said, letter schmetter, I'm showing up anyway.

Not yet unfortunatelly, but as I said, letter schmetter, I'm showing up anyway.

youre dead right think i may do the same if the letter doesnt come....
    you waiting on checks??

youre dead right think i may do the same if the letter doesnt come....
    you waiting on checks??

Yep, apparently just one left, so it shouldn't be long. I'm hoping no longer than a year anyway.

• Advertisement

Yep, apparently just one left, so it shouldn't be long. I'm hoping no longer than a year anyway.

that would wreck my head waiting on one well oj i hope that check comes through really soon for you and that you too will get in the Aug intake :)

that would wreck my head waiting on one well oj i hope that check comes through really soon for you and that you too will get in the Aug intake :)

Thanks, so do I.

And hopefully you will make it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Alright lads, just back in Dublin now. Passed :D

1st lap was fine, he guided me around.
    2nd lap, got a bit lost, went for the stairs instead of the tyre, so had to go back !
    3rd lap, knocked the beam off the bar! Was feeling too cocky at that stage I think, so let the concentration drop for a second. disaster, so had to go under it again, tipped off it again, but luckily it stayed up! Got it in 2:32 which I was happy with considering the cockups I made :D The key part for me was the sprint section, really made up time there.
    Push pull, missed a beep at the start, luckily I steadied up after that. He didnt tell me what I pushed, just said I passed so happy enough :)
    Thanks for all the tips, I found it easier than I thought. Try not to knock any beams though :D

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Push pull, missed a beep at the start, luckily I steadied up after that. He didnt tell me what I pushed, just said I passed so happy enough :)
    Thanks for all the tips, I found it easier than I thought. Try not to knock any beams though :D

Good man Kaiser.

But what about our beer competition? How will we know now who won Push&Pull? I think you should aske them if you can do it again.

Alright lads, just back in Dublin now. Passed :D

1st lap was fine, he guided me around.
    2nd lap, got a bit lost, went for the stairs instead of the tyre, so had to go back !
    3rd lap, knocked the beam off the bar! Was feeling too cocky at that stage I think, so let the concentration drop for a second. disaster, so had to go under it again, tipped off it again, but luckily it stayed up! Got it in 2:32 which I was happy with considering the cockups I made :D The key part for me was the sprint section, really made up time there.

congrats pvt joker im delighted for ya its great relief to finally have it over and done with and to pass on first go well done i say :):D

Haha , that's a good point, and I was actually thinking it at the time to myself I need to know the weight! Don't think it would have went down well if I asked him for it because I needed it for a drinking bet :D:D

So, I guess I don't win the bet, but I am putting this 100% down to bad luck in knocking the beam :p
    I'll have to challenge Mason to a run through it again some day down there :)

congrats pvt joker im delighted for ya its great relief to finally have it over and done with and to pass on first go well done i say :):D

thanks :) It sure is a relief. Everyone was saying to me don't worry about it, it's no big deal...but you can't take anything for granted as you can easily make mistakes as I did, luckily I got away with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Congrats pvt! So that's it now, you're all done? The rest is out of your hands. :D

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Congrats pvt! So that's it now, you're all done? The rest is out of your hands. :D

yep. nothing more I can do, time to relax :D (and worry about getting the letter :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

yep. nothing more I can do, time to relax :D (and worry about getting the letter :P)

Congrats LADYT and Kaiser.

Delighted for ye. Those letters are only around the corner now.
    Shame you didn't get your push pull score and automatically go to the bottom of the pile. Ah well takes the pressure off me I suppose! :p

Oj you deserve to go into templemore with the automatic rank of chief super. You are as cool as a breeze! :D

• Advertisement

Haz33 wrote: »
    Oj you deserve to go into templemore with the automatic rank of chief super. You are as cool as a breeze! :D

Or knowing my luck, someone is reading these boards and thinking "This lad is very patient. He will be perfect for guarding embassies"

Or knowing my luck, someone is reading these boards and thinking "This lad is very patient. He will be perfect for guarding embassies"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

thanks :) It sure is a relief. Everyone was saying to me don't worry about it, it's no big deal...but you can't take anything for granted as you can easily make mistakes as I did, luckily I got away with them :)

Glad to hear it all went well - fellow laser surgery man and all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Haha , that's a good point, and I was actually thinking it at the time to myself I need to know the weight! Don't think it would have went down well if I asked him for it because I needed it for a drinking bet :D:D

So, I guess I don't win the bet, but I am putting this 100% down to bad luck in knocking the beam :p
    I'll have to challenge Mason to a run through it again some day down there :)

ah well least you passed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ta moko

Hi all can soneone tell me what is the time frame between interview and medical and also between medical and pct.

Thanks a whole bunch you guys

like seriously

thanks

there is no set timeframe, it can take anything from a few weeks to 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

Passed my PCT today, yipee. Although i found it very difficult. So for anyone going there in the future dont follow my preparation stategy. Garlic chips then night before, Breakfast roll in the morning, a few cigarettes on the way down the road, and no running or any sort of physical exercise for about 18 months, lol.

I think the total time was about 2 minutes forty somthing.I was just glad to get under 3 minutes. The first lap was very straight forward as i was guided around and i give it all i could, going into the second lap i had only 40 seconds on the clock and was beginning to look for my second breath (which i probabaly left at home). Then i kicked over the cones by accident on the weaving section so that cost me a few senconds. Going into the 3rd lap i was dying and really struggling but had to dig deep. When finished i just shuffled out the door and sorta collapsed on the ground. Think i was also blind as well.

I got about 7-8 minutes to wait for the push-pull test which was really needed. And i just give it all i could. At the end he just said, OK you've passed and HR will be in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

hehe congratz :p

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

cmcskeane wrote: »
    Passed my PCT today, yipee. Although i found it very difficult. So for anyone going there in the future dont follow my preparation stategy. Garlic chips then night before, Breakfast roll in the morning, a few cigarettes on the way down the road, and no running or any sort of physical exercise for about 18 months, lol.

I think the total time was about 2 minutes forty somthing.I was just glad to get under 3 minutes. The first lap was very straight forward as i was guided around and i give it all i could, going into the second lap i had only 40 seconds on the clock and was beginning to look for my second breath (which i probabaly left at home). Then i kicked over the cones by accident on the weaving section so that cost me a few senconds. Going into the 3rd lap i was dying and really struggling but had to dig deep. When finished i just shuffled out the door and sorta collapsed on the ground. Think i was also blind as well.

I got about 7-8 minutes to wait for the push-pull test which was really needed. And i just give it all i could. At the end he just said, OK you've passed and HR will be in touch.

Well done. A big relief i'd say. Just a waiting game for you now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

cmcskeane wrote: »

Well done, and thanks for the account!

Advertisement