Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3b - Physical Competence Test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ta moko

I have been reading about people doing three laps of the pct how does the timing work and how many laps of the course do you have to do.

If some one can give me a run thru or direct me
    to where i can find out i will be greatfull.

Unfortunatly have interview to get thru first

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

ta moko wrote: »
    I have been reading about people doing three laps of the pct how does the timing work and how many laps of the course do you have to do.

If some one can give me a run thru or direct me
    to where i can find out i will be greatfull.

Unfortunatly have interview to get thru first

Thanks

Kind of answered your own question there :) Its 3 laps

http://www.garda.ie/physical_test.html

This should help you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

3 laps in 3 minutes and 20 seconds. If you do it in under 3 minutes, which is what most ppl manage, then you get compensated in the push pull test. (2.5kg less) If you have any sort of physical fitness or you are anyway active then it'll be a breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ta moko

ok i know im going on a bit but

Is it 3 laps to be done in 3m20 or 2 practice laps and then one timed one

or best time out of 3 attempts

thanks thanks thanks

ta moko wrote: »
    ok i know im going on a bit but

Is it 3 laps to be done in 3m20 or 2 practice laps and then one timed one

or best time out of 3 attempts

thanks thanks thanks

3 laps to be done, If you are any bit fit it should take less than a minute to do each lap. First lap, the instructor comes around with you but it is still timed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 G-Julie

Hi guys,
    sorry new here so question might have been asked before...
    There are 4 intakes a year right?
    Are they in Feb, May, August and November?
    cheers!

Ah if I got a cent for everytime I see that question posted on Boards :D

Yeah that is usually the case ( has been for the last few years).
    But no1 knows will it continue that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 G-Julie

Ah if I got a cent for everytime I see that question posted on Boards :D

Yeah that is usually the case ( has been for the last few years).
    But no1 knows will it continue that way.

ahhhh sorry I was reading and looking for the answer 2 my question 4 ages and then I gave up and just asked again....
    Thx 4 that and here u go €0.01

I only accept payment through PayPal. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

You do the running around the couse in the time limit.

Then you do the push pull?

OR

You do the course and the push pull machine is in the same limit?

Also, you're there alone with the tester.. not being watched by anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

hi all,
    am just asking those that have passed their medical and are looking likely for the nivember intake, have you's got your PCT's coming up and does anybody know if they will be going on late in october?

also what are the intake numbers looking like for november? has it been confirmed that there will be alot less going in or is that just a silly rumour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Rihanna

there is generally one instructor timing you, directing u through the course and another doing the push pull. for example purpose, say 20 people are being assesed that day, normally first 10 wait in a corridor out side the PCT room and the other 10 wait in a waiting room to be called. the people waiting out side the PCT room can see through a small glass panel but to be honest nobody really cares what the person running around the course looks like, they are normally going through the course in their head or else running for the loo with the nerves, then when your finished you just go home, hopefully buzzin cause you passed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

does anybody know if they will be going on late in october?

I heard today that they had dates up to 20th October but they are nearly full. September is already over booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

Paolo5 wrote: »
    I heard today that they had dates up to 20th October but they are nearly full. September is already over booked.

Thanks dude, thats a bit of relief anyway. Have my medical early/mid oct so hopefully all that going well there may be a few dates left for me to the the pct done. All these rumours flyin around you don't know what to believe. there were never any rumours like this coming up to the august intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

Im wondering is the PCT rated as a pass/fail test or does your result go towards the scores you accumulated in stage 1 and 2!? Basically, what im wondering is it noted how fast you do the course or is the bare pass sufficient!????

If you pass by a second or a minute it is a pass. It is a pass or fail situation to the best of my knowledge.

You do need to be some way fit to complete the course in the time though so it is recommended that you do a small bit of training if you do not do it normally in your spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭super_shellers

It was so strange seeing yous all in the college today doing yer PCT's, doesnt feel like that long ago since I did mine.

If ye have any questions about it or about the college in general just PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

cmcskeane wrote: »
    Passed my PCT today, yipee. Although i found it very difficult. So for anyone going there in the future dont follow my preparation stategy. Garlic chips then night before, Breakfast roll in the morning, a few cigarettes on the way down the road, and no running or any sort of physical exercise for about 18 months, lol.

I think the total time was about 2 minutes forty somthing.I was just glad to get under 3 minutes. The first lap was very straight forward as i was guided around and i give it all i could, going into the second lap i had only 40 seconds on the clock and was beginning to look for my second breath (which i probabaly left at home). Then i kicked over the cones by accident on the weaving section so that cost me a few senconds. Going into the 3rd lap i was dying and really struggling but had to dig deep. When finished i just shuffled out the door and sorta collapsed on the ground. Think i was also blind as well.

I got about 7-8 minutes to wait for the push-pull test which was really needed. And i just give it all i could. At the end he just said, OK you've passed and HR will be in touch.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nelly84

hi all, i passed my interview in july and am still waiting on the medical and physical to come up....when did ye do yer interview? im kinda beginning to freak out that i have not heard anythin yet...was it a long time before ye heard between the interview results and the medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

any tips for pct people. kinda worried about balance beam dunno why lol . how width is it ?? people at the opening day yesterday what did you's think of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dub chick

the balance beam is very low. only a few inches off the ground from what i could see so no vertigo! :D and its wide enough for a average sized foot from what i could see also.....soundlad....put the bottom of your worries list! trust me!

Open day on sat for people doing the PCT in the future! maybe you should check it out

soundlad wrote: »
    any tips for pct people. kinda worried about balance beam dunno why lol . how width is it ?? people at the opening day yesterday what did you's think of course.

Hey ya, the course looks grand...honestly unless your really unfit you should defo pass it. Was at the open day yesterday especially to see it and it has totally put my mind at ease so realx!! You'll fly through it and the beam is only small!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jillybean

I was at the opening day yesterday as well and asked could I have a go at the push pull machine because I was waiting on my medical and they said I could .... oh my god, it was so difficult and really gave me a wake up call :eek: :eek: :eek: I think I will be hitting the gym everyday now until I get called for a medical and Pct. There is no way I'm going to fail at the last hurdle!

Dub chick wrote: »
    the balance beam is very low. only a few inches off the ground from what i could see so no vertigo! :D and its wide enough for a average sized foot from what i could see also.....soundlad....put the bottom of your worries list! trust me!

Open day on sat for people doing the PCT in the future! maybe you should check it out

is there definitely an opening day on saturday dub chick. do you know what time it starts at and what time it ends. working till 1 so dunno if i could make it down .

jillybean wrote: »
    I was at the opening day yesterday as well and asked could I have a go at the push pull machine because I was waiting on my medical and they said I could .... oh my god, it was so difficult and really gave me a wake up call :eek: :eek: :eek: I think I will be hitting the gym everyday now until I get called for a medical and Pct. There is no way I'm going to fail at the last hurdle!

what did you find difficult about the push pull machine jillybean if you dont mind me asking ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jillybean

There's a technique to doing the push pull machine, you have to use your legs as well as your arms and even though one of the instructors demonstrated it for me, several times I may add, I could not get the hang of it, my arms and legs were all over the place! My upper body strength isn't great either so that probably contributed to my dire efforts! I'd say most people won't have a problem with it though, its just me!

There's a technique to doing the push pull machine, you have to use your legs as well as your arms and even though one of the instructors demonstrated it for me, several times I may add, I could not get the hang of it, my arms and legs were all over the place! My upper body strength isn't great either so that probably contributed to my dire efforts! I'd say most people won't have a problem with it though, its just me!

im sure you will be fine jillybean just make sure and do some weights from now till the date you get it.

Hey jillybean...god your lucky you got to try it! I didn't think you could because I was with a big group we had to move along damn!!! I should have gone back but I had to come home to work! Just out of interest what height are you? Apparently its the height that are catching us women out! What weight did you pull??

Hop on a rowing machine if you can get to one.

How long are you on the push and pull machine for?

Do you just go mental for a minute!

• Advertisement

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Hop on a rowing machine if you can get to one.

How long are you on the push and pull machine for?

Do you just go mental for a minute!

you have to push and pull the machine for 20 seconds .

Advertisement