Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

jk_ wrote: »
    Cheers Flash. I'll do that.

well if your ok now i dont think there is any need to bring it up tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jk_

It would be on my medical records though, wouldn't it?

jk_ wrote: »
    It would be on my medical records though, wouldn't it?

yes but with your local gp, the gardai- as far as im aware- carry out there own medical checks on the day, now on the day you have to fill out a form asking you some medical history and your gp's info so im not sure, but as i previously said if its not a problem dont mention. Ask your gp what he thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jk_

shakin wrote: »
    yes but with your local gp, the gardai- as far as im aware- carry out there own medical checks on the day, now on the day you have to fill out a form asking you some medical history and your gp's info so im not sure, but as i previously said if its not a problem dont mention. Ask your gp what he thinks
    Thanks for the advice. Was gonna talk to my gp alright. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with my situation. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Anyone know is it just the medical that has an expiry date or does the pct have to be repeated after a certain length of time too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iony

hi there guys,any word about the medical and the PCT test yet?i'm from batch 2,i've applied in 2008 and now it's been 2and a half years since i've applied,it's ridiculous at this stage..still no word,all i've left is the medical and the PCT..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

I'd give them a ring Iony....could be a delay in background checks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

iony wrote: »
    hi there guys,any word about the medical and the PCT test yet?i'm from batch 2,i've applied in 2008 and now it's been 2and a half years since i've applied,it's ridiculous at this stage..still no word,all i've left is the medical and the PCT..

They will not call anyone for a medical until they know exact intake numbers and when next intake will begin. Otherwise Medicals issued now could expire. Im in the same boat as you.

SugarRush wrote: »
    Hey guys! I've been following this thread for a while and I have a question.
    Just wondering what is checked for at the medical stage and what could possibly hinder progress there? I know eyes and weight are the main two, I'm working on the latter, but is there anything else?

You fill out a form detailing any scars, surgeries, medication etc. They take a urine sample, check lung capacity, hearing, eyesight, weight (bmi), teeth, and do a basic physical also, to check for lumps and bumps etc. It's not the most pleasant day of your life but it's a necessary step :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Julius32

Hey Gang, I’m from the recruitment drive in 2008, I have been waiting to be called for a medical for the last two and a bit years……….IT IS A JOKE!!!! Since I failed the Medical in 2007 due to BMI, I have gone away, got myself in good shape and I am not sitting and waiting like an EEJIT for another medical as I reapplied!! It is very unfair that there is no correspondence from them telling people where they stand!! Having said all the above I am now on the doorstep of the Prison Service and I am hoping to start a class with them on July 12th (fingers & toes crossed), my first preference was the Gardi but if I manage to make it as a Prison Officer then they can forget about me!!!!! Best of luck to everybody for the next Garda recruitment!!!!! J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Blue Belle wrote: »
    You fill out a form detailing any scars, surgeries, medication etc. They take a urine sample, check lung capacity, hearing, eyesight, weight (bmi), teeth, and do a basic physical also, to check for lumps and bumps etc. It's not the most pleasant day of your life but it's a necessary step :(

Do you know do they take a blood sample as well? Do you find out on the day wheather you pass medical or not? I always thought you did but if they took blood then it would take a while to get results from that to pass?

kev-bt wrote: »
    Do you know do they take a blood sample as well? Do you find out on the day wheather you pass medical or not? I always thought you did but if they took blood then it would take a while to get results from that to pass?

They don't take blood, and yes you find out on the day if you pass. Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Julius32 wrote: »
    Hey Gang, I’m from the recruitment drive in 2008, I have been waiting to be called for a medical for the last two and a bit years……….IT IS A JOKE!!!! Since I failed the Medical in 2007 due to BMI, I have gone away, got myself in good shape and I am not sitting and waiting like an EEJIT for another medical as I reapplied!! It is very unfair that there is no correspondence from them telling people where they stand!! Having said all the above I am now on the doorstep of the Prison Service and I am hoping to start a class with them on July 12th (fingers & toes crossed), my first preference was the Gardi but if I manage to make it as a Prison Officer then they can forget about me!!!!! Best of luck to everybody for the next Garda recruitment!!!!! J

Hey I am just enquiring about how much you were over in your BMI, I not being nosey or anything, just curious because I am waiting on medical and wondering how strict they are.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

The medical questionaire that they have you fill in - is this publically available?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 therecruit

Hey Guys,

just got a few questions about the medical. im probly abit older then most of you.

firstly i need a filling or two would that fail you for dental caries.

are vericose veins a fail?

i have have a surgical scar will this matter or do i just have to explain it.

also i have lost a lot of weight but have a few stretch marks do you think this will matter and as an ex smoker anyone got the skinny on what the peak flow rate is.

I know this sounds bad but im not a total right off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You've really gone all out in your first post, but unfortunately I think only the doctor who examines you will be able to answer all of your questions because they are so specific.

I would expect that you would be required to give a full account of any scars you have on your body, and provide medical evidence to back up what you say.

If anyone else is able to answer any of your other questions with any amount of certainty, I'm sure they will.

Welcome to boards!

therecruit wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

just got a few questions about the medical. im probly abit older then most of you.

also i have lost a lot of weight but have a few stretch marks do you think this will matter and as an ex smoker anyone got the skinny on what the peak flow rate is.

ill preface this saying im not a doctor......

at my medical i needed a filling, doctor had a look and told me keep an eye on it

last time i checked stretch marks weren't an illness

lung capacity test? if your off them you should be grand

you will fill out a form asking about previous medical history as long as it doesnt affect you now, you should be ok.

best thing is to go to your gp and get the once over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

therecruit wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Dont know the peak flow rate my most GP's can tell you as they're all fairly up to date with the system used.

I think the varicose veins might be a problem.

Also I think the dental caries are only if your teeth and gums are in a bad way (remember the smile your on heroine posters), I needed a couple of fillings and have them since but the doctor just looked in my mouth and that was it.

All scars have to be accounted for and explained.

Go to your GP and they will guide you through the process and if you know you need fillings maybe get them done cause if your only applying now you could have a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 therecruit

Hey Guys,

thanks for the welcome and the advice,

just back from the GP everthings grand and lost more weight then i taught whitch is always good.

he said he could not see why my vericose veins would be a medical fail as they are A-symthamatic (Whitch means other than being there they have no negative impact) he rang another doctor who said '' in this day and age thats ridiculous''. but ridiculous or not AGS's Doctors so AGS's rules.

the garda reserve information booklet says:

''Any of the following examples of medical conditions may be a bar to passing the
    medical examination:

Defective Vision, Varicose veins, Obesity, Albumenuria, Dental Caries,
    Defective Hearing, Hypertension, etc.''

before any one says i know the reserve is different but surely a bar to the reserve will be a bar to full time service aswell.

my questions are has anyone passed the medical with vericose veins?

also has any on got contact information fo the medical unit my GP said i should contact them and ask directly.

Cheers

in my booklet from the may 08 competition for full-time gardai the ailments you listed are the same, so i would get them sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

its true that if you fail the medical because of eyesight they'll give you a chance to get laser? Or does anyone know what exactly happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

halfback5 wrote: »
    its true that if you fail the medical because of eyesight they'll give you a chance to get laser? Or does anyone know what exactly happens?

Im wondering the same - whats exactly the story, no point in going getting laser in case you don't make it past aptitute/interviews?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

anto77 wrote: »
    Im wondering the same - whats exactly the story, no point in going getting laser in case you don't make it past aptitute/interviews?!

i was referred on for laser, they give you the chance to get it done. basically if you fail on eyesight then go get laser done, all you have to do is get your new sight capacity certified by your optician about 3 or 4 months post surgery, post it into the medical office and you've passed. Simples! However if people are called for medicals etc, 3 to 4 months might be too long so you might get put on waiting list

• Registered Users Posts: 13 blanchlad

hi,i did my exam in 08,and was called for a medical last year,but for certain circumstances was unable to do it, i was told it would be rescheduled. i assume i was put on the bottom of the pile,but does anyone have a contact number that i can query this?

01 6660000 ask for hr/recruitment section

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Could anyone tell me is cigarette smoking permitted while a student in the garda college. I know its a dreadful question to be asking , and Im hoping I can break the habit before being called.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It is permitted in the back left hand corner of the college grounds only. And don't worry, the extreme rain will have you thinking of giving up before long.

hi there,i think smokin should be the last thing you should be worryin about:D:D:D
    anyone has any info about the actual intake??i'm from batch 2,2008,all i've left is the medical and the PCT,and all i know from the internet is that they'll take on new recruits by the end of the year!!any word guys??was anyone called for the medical in the last few wks?as i rang HQ and the same speech every single time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

What did they say to you? I gave up ringing them about a year ago..

• Advertisement

hi there Devil 08,for example last time when i rang HQ,and asked them if they could double check what's my contact no.on their data base or at least my add..was told the server was down..after that i've asked where exactly am i standin with the recruitment proccess,nobody knows..after that i've asked them is there many left like me since 2008?? and what's the point'n startin another recruitment campaign with publicjobs when there's people waitin since 2008,was told is confidential!!!!this february comin it'll be 3years waitin for me!!!it's a joke

Advertisement