Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mainistir

Did my medical end of august....ith regard to eye test they make you do each eye seperately on a wall chart at a distance and then tiogether looking through a machine......does anyone know if the recent flurry have medials has stopped or are people still getting called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iony

hi there guys,please help me with some info..i received a letter yesterday,a speed ticket(2penalty points on my licence,and a 80 euro fine)doin 70km/h on a 50km/h zone,silly!!!do you think that will be bye bye gards for me??all i've left to do is the medical and the physical...:(thank you..i was told yesterday that nothin's gonne happen till 2011 with the recruitment anyway..so what do you think??

• Registered Users Posts: 22 The Skipper

No your fine. That will not go against you and your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

The main thing is to be honest about it on the questionaire that you get in medical centre prior to your exam. One question asks you have you received penalty points anytime in the past few years. Be honest as they will see it on background checks anyway. But it wont hold you back. If you were caught drink driving, now that would be another matter.

thanks guys,i hope it's the way you're sayin;),i was told i'll have to receive a phonecall from the local superintendent,a quick interview,and only after that i'll get word back about the medical and the physical..and because,based on the results from the exams,beein somewhere in the middle of the list,nothin will hapen next year with me,that's what i was told...:eek:but they'll keep the aplications alive,and they'll make sure every candidate will finish with all the tests,and be "ready to go"..i don't know what to believe anymore guys..if that's the case,it'll be 3years from the moment when i've applied for the Competition till the moment when hopefully i'll be sent to Templemore...that's a long long time guys..
    what about yous?did you receive different info?wish you all the best and thanks again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

if its not a conviction it wont hold you back. just make sure you're 100% honest when you're asked about it. hands up no excuses

thanks Lenn,skipper,adrianjc,and the rest of the people on this forum,it's been great help and support from the very beginnin!!!hope things will work out for all of us the way we want...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jimmymcelroy

I always wear contacts, my eyesight isn't great especially in one eye and I'm not a candidate for laser surgery. However with contacts my eyesight is perfect.

Am I screwed?

(Say nothing and hope they don't notice my contacts!!)

Hi Jimmy,

from memory the eye test takes a while, they check everything from colour blindness to accuracy of vision. I would say your chances of getting away with it are slim. Would be terrible to get thru apptitude and interview to then be caught cheating. Why not ring Garda Hq, ask to be put through to the medical centre and enquire what the criteria is for your eyesight. God , it would save you a lot of heartache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 luke56

I just got called for my medical two weeks and its on thursday. I'm normally very fit but I have been injured for the past 6 months with back and ankle injuries. As I have been unable to train I have gained almost two stone. I am 100% now but This has pushed my BMI over 30 should I tell them this during the Medical or has anyone any suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

luke56 wrote: »
    I just got called for my medical two weeks and its on thursday. I'm normally very fit but I have been injured for the past 6 months with back and ankle injuries. As I have been unable to train I have gained almost two stone. I am 100% now but This has pushed my BMI over 30 should I tell them this during the Medical or has anyone any suggestions.

Personally,i wouldnt say anything only if doctor mentions it-you can let him know your bmi being over 30 is the exception rather than the norm-all the best with medical let us know if you hear anything there

Is your med for Regulars or reserves ?

Regulars. Any suggestions?

Is Thursday 2 wks not Xmas eve ?

It is this thursday Dec 10th. I found out 12 days ago. Just found this site today

Not much you can do really other than what Waiting Game has advised. At this stage of the game without a recruitment campaign in my opinion they will try to hols onto as many people as they have. For the next couple of days try to keep food intake low, maybe even try a detox. Could 5 or 6lbs push you back over the scales ? Anyway best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mainistir

luke56 wrote: »

Hey lad, i was in the same boat back in september. I got 1 week's notice for my medical and when i went to calculate the BMI i was 31. Wenton a crash diet for the week, porridge in the morning, soup in the afternoon and vegetables and grilled chicken in the evening, literally nothing else. Hit the gym every night, no weights just bike and treadmill and you will be surprised at how much you lose. I passed mine no problem, i mentioned to the doc beofre he weighed me that the bmi might be an issue he didnt really take any notice of what i said so id say dont mention it unless he flags it. Best of luck anyway, dont eat anything the morning of the medical andby the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pr43

yep, all of yhe above. Pubeapple and grilled fish day befire nothing else. If you habe avvess to a sauna the day of, do an hour or so of that! You lose 5kg easy, no fluids tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pr43

pr43 wrote: »
    yep, all of yhe above. Pubeapple and grilled fish day befire nothing else. If you habe avvess to a sauna the day of, do an hour or so of that! You lose 5kg easy, no fluids tho.

that should have read pineapple!

How did you get on with the Medical today ? Hope that all went well for you.

• Advertisement

Hey Folks,

Heard again from someone today that had medical 2 weeks ago, there were some lads there that were repeating meds which had lapsed.
    If ye are watching in let us know how far back you had the initial meds. Had mine back in April and cant relax for the Xmas worrying about it. Am definately obsessing about the whole thing at this stage. But after getting this far, dont want to stuff up now. Anyone out there that can help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Adrian why dont you ring hr and ask if you will have to repeat it. Im sure they can tell you that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jimmyjoejoseph

if ur worried about bmi etc.. drink plenty of water the morning and plenty of it, the electronic scales they use to calculate fat% is done and calculated on the water % so if ur anyways de-hydrated it comes back as a higher fat %

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 anydaynow

can anyone tell me whats the situation if you've had surgery on an injury how it affects your medical.....or does it affect it?

You will have to mention it on the form you are required to fill out on the day. Depending on whether it was recent or not, shouldnt be a problem. If its fairly recent you may be required to produce x-rays and maybe a letter from your doc/ surgeon to say you're fighting fit again ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 anydaynow

Thanks bluebelle, what if ive already done medical should i tell them or wait and see if ive to redo med? might have to have surgery on injury, is it the same that i would just produce certs stating i've fully recovered?

anydaynow wrote: »
    Thanks bluebelle, what if ive already done medical should i tell them or wait and see if ive to redo med? might have to have surgery on injury, is it the same that i would just produce certs stating i've fully recovered?

Cant help you there I'm afraid. That's your call :)

Hi there guys,i'm from batch 2,had all exams passed and had the "final interview"with the super after Christmas,was told that after he checked my refferences that as far as he's concerned,i'm good to go,he signed and stamped my docs straight away,he was fantastic,great info aswell..he told me that there's plenty of rumours,but what he knows for fact is that many of his collegues retired lately and they need to replace them,simple as that!!they're waitin on Department for Finance,and that is just a matter of time...now i know how it is guys,it's been over 2years since i've applied for this,and i'm runnin outta patience,as we all know,we're all makin hopes that somethin will change soon..first thing i was told was that some of those who applied gave up as the proccess is takin too long!!!i'll be 30 in may,and thinkin that the limit is 35...gives me a boost of confidence...who knows..:D:D:Dall i'm waiting rite know is for medical and Pct,i wish you all the best and hope things will pick up a little bit in the near future..and sorry for the long story:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jk_

Hey Guys Iwas wondering if anyone could give information on the mental fitness requirements for AGS?
    Will having a history of depression go against me?
    Nothing too serious I've always been in full time employment while being depressed but it did require counselling and medication for a time.
    I'm in my late 20's and wonder if my past medical history will prevent me from passing the medical.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

jk_ wrote: »
    Hey Guys Iwas wondering if anyone could give information on the mental fitness requirements for AGS?
    Will having a history of depression go against me?
    Nothing too serious I've always been in full time employment while being depressed but it did require counselling and medication for a time.
    I'm in my late 20's and wonder if my past medical history will prevent me from passing the medical.
    Cheers

to be honest i think thats a call for the cheif medical officer if you have any question i think you should contact hq and ask them or contact the medical office in hq

The number for hq is 01-6660000

Advertisement