Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

hey there,

sorry missed that, whats the congrats for and to whom ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

ondarack wrote: »
    thanks everyone for well wishes, ya i'm goona get a 2nd opinion but cant say i'm holding out much hope

Hey wouldnt give up hope just yet, i got knocked for laser last yr in waterford, got told my eye was too bad and it wouldnt work , i then went private too the Beacon Clinic in dublin and they did it not a bother, would speak highly of them so look them up:D hope all goes well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daithilocha80

Hey, just signed up to this, did my interview last August and still waiting to hear anything about a medical, anyone else in the same boat or know how long a wait I should be looking at? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 wowwee123

Hey, i did my interview in OCtober 2008 so your not alone!! think theres quite a few waiting on medicals at the moment. fingers crossed we hear something soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pr43

wowwee123 wrote: »
    Hey, i did my interview in OCtober 2008 so your not alone!! think theres quite a few waiting on medicals at the moment. fingers crossed we hear something soon..

ditto:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daithilocha80

Cheers for that, the wait goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iony

hi there guys,i was just wonderin if any of you got any info related to the medical exam,i received the letters at home that all my educational documentation it's fine and that i've passed stage 2 of the competition,and all it's left now is a background check,and then medical and physical test,but there isn't a date in place for the medical as the recruitment process is still frozen...can anyone help me please?thanks

Hi Iony,

I am one of those with everything completed since April. The main concerns in the Medical are the Eyesight and the BMI. The medical comprises of Urine Sample, Blood pressure, Hearing Test, Eyesight, BMI (<30), and a full body exam by the doctor.
    Physical is an obstacle course and a push pull test, no problem if you have any level of fitness.

hi Adrian c20,i know it's been so long since i've aplied for the Competition,think was Feb08,soon it'll be 2years!!!and i can't wait to be over,and hopefully with great results...:)as you said,you've everythin completed since April,and if so,what's next for ya?just waitin for the call or letter to go to Templemore??i had the interview in October '08,and all went well,i didn't even get to see the local Superintendent yet,i rang the HQ in Dublin few good wks ago and i was told to sit tight and just wait,as there's no news yet about the frozen Campain..
    As far as i know the background check is nearly over,so just the medical and the physical...:(
    there's rumours sayin that it'll start in November...this waitin game is so long...:(:(what do you think?

Hi Iony,

I had my interview in August '08, Med/Physical in April '09. Made redundant in May this year. It was great at the time, as I thought I would quickly slot into Templemore. But, am now a stay at home dad, while my wife works for HSE. Have never been out of work, hard to get use to sitting at home watching 'Bob The Builder' everyday. Whole life evolves around Phone and E-Mail waiting for the call, am slowly but surely getting p****d off with the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Hi Adrianjc20,i totally agree with ya here,this hole process it's draggin for far too long...all the exams and tests,and such a long break in between,and waitin for so long for the results..i nearly forgot what the main objective was..:(
    thank God i'm still workin but i'd love a change..by the way,i'm married and got a mortgage,and a kid,and was wonderin,is there any help from the Government while we're in Templemore(happy case)as the money we'll receive while trainin won't cover too much...or we'll have to figure out a way ourselves..?thank you..

Hi Iony,

With regard to financial assistance beyond your weekly allowance, forget about it. I am hoping my bank might give me some leaway as regards my mortgage. My wife and I have pondered over this alot, but we reckon it is going to be worth it in the longrun. I think that in Garda college you also have to buy all your own training tracksuits, t-shirts and so on. I stand to be corrected on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

You are right, Adrian. While down in the college you will have to pay for a tracksuit, pair of shorts, 2/3 college t-shirts and your parade shoes, which alone cost about €60 if I remember. I think it cost me the guts of €200 all in all. In terms of getting help with your mortgage you might be better off talking to somebody in St Paul's or St Raphael's to help you out with that. There were plenty of people in my phase who had mortgages, so try not to worry about it too much, at least until you get down there and get to speak to somebody about it and see what your options are. Best of luck!

well Adrian,was thinkin a lot about that in the last while,but as Northside Girl was sayin,it's better not too over do it untill i know 100%that i'm in:cool:
    For the moment,i'm just hopin that we'll get news bout next step,and pray for the best...:)thank you so much guys,wish you all the best and hopefully we'll meet soon:rolleyes:

hi guys,anyone has a contact no for HQ so i can ring and find out if there's any news related to the medical and PCT?thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Hey guys, I don't suppose any of you know if any of the medical is based on BMI?
    Bit ridiculous if it is but just curious..

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

hey cv yes bmi is a part of the medical,has to be under 30. did my medical in april this year,im sure if you look back at a few posts youl see that it is,have you your medical soon and if you have best of luck with it mate. have you a concern with your bmi if you dont mind me askin?

dylmeister wrote: »
    hey cv yes bmi is a part of the medical,has to be under 30. did my medical in april this year,im sure if you look back at a few posts youl see that it is,have you your medical soon and if you have best of luck with it mate. have you a concern with your bmi if you dont mind me askin?

I don't have a medical anytime soon, I'm just curious.
    Well I do have a concern in general about it yes..
    for mine to be under 30 would make me just under 15 stone which is...well, frankly, it's extremely skinny(to me)

I have a fair amount of muscle mass and this has pushed my BMI right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

well if it is muscle mass you have then you have nothing to worry about as bmi is tested for fatness so you have nothing to worry about,hope i was help to you,best of luck

Lads,

Story is - BMI is calculated by a machine which records your Height and weight, it then prints out your Reading. It cannot decifer wether or not your a Body Builder or a Champion Burger eater. E.g. If your 5'8" in Height, and your 93kg your BMI is 31 - Obese. Biggest mistake is to take this area lightly going into medical, they will fail you on the spot. I would imagine Insurance is a sticky topic in Templemore, with regard to heavy physical training.

• Advertisement

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    Lads,

Story is - BMI is calculated by a machine which records your Height and weight, it then prints out your Reading. It cannot decifer wether or not your a Body Builder or a Champion Burger eater. E.g. If your 5'8" in Height, and your 93kg your BMI is 31 - Obese. Biggest mistake is to take this area lightly going into medical, they will fail you on the spot. I would imagine Insurance is a sticky topic in Templemore, with regard to heavy physical training.

Cheers,
    This is what I was afraid of..they really should change that.

Oh well, So much for the gardaí now anyway.

thanks anyway. :)

Look,

As you said, you dont have medical anytime soon. So get yourself a programme, cutout the weights, go for full aerobic for the next couple of months. You would be surprised how quickly the weight can fall. I am a blocky individual, do a lot of mountainbiking and I struggle to keep my BMI around 29, sometimes tips 30. They wont take any prisoners.

Look,

As you said, you dont have medical anytime soon. So get yourself a programme, cutout the weights, go for full aerobic for the next couple of months. You would be surprised how quickly the weight can fall. I am a blocky individual, do a lot of mountainbiking and I struggle to keep my BMI around 29, sometimes tips 30. They wont take any prisoners.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go sure and see what happens.. If I can reach anywhere near 30 I know I could knock off the extra bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

I did my medical a few weeks back it was my second time doing it failed on bmi the first time and passed this time even tho my bmi was still over 30 the doctor said my body fat % had dropped by about 9% compared to the last time she showed me the slip of paper and it has your body fat % printed on it

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Kojak is right. The machine also calculates your body fat % as it's quite possible to have a BMI over 30 due to a high level of muscle mass. Quite a few rugby players in my phase have a BMI over 30 due to this and had no problem passing the medical. Don't go killing yourself to lose weight if you feel that your body fat % is okay and definitely don't count yourself out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

SV wrote: »
    I don't have a medical anytime soon, I'm just curious.
    Well I do have a concern in general about it yes..
    for mine to be under 30 would make me just under 15 stone which is...well, frankly, it's extremely skinny(to me)

I have a fair amount of muscle mass and this has pushed my BMI right up.

its doctors that do these medicals,they can tell if your obese or athletic you cant really confuse the two,best thing get an opinion from a gp see what he thinks,bmi is a rough guide if you have a lot of muscle mass i wouldnt worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Look,

KEEP UP THE WEIGHTS!! Weightlifting hasn't caused him to gain muscle weight.. a diet aimed at muscle mass has! Forget about aerobic work, it has no benefit to Gardai. KV, keep up the weightlifting as this will help your body's metabolism. Also, start some anaerobic training(look into interval running or fartlek running). If you can get your body fat % down to a very low level, you should not have any problems.

Elite athletes such as rugby players have BMI's that would class them as overweight or obese, yet they have an incredibly low body fat %, definitely lower than your average applicant for AGS. AGS aren't going to fail you if it's obvious your weight is heavy due to muscular development because this means your body is stronger and better equipped for the rigours in life.. and your bone+joint structure is much better equipped too and has adapted to this.

Get your body fat % down and you should be fine. For example, if you are 14 stone at 5'9 with a very low body fat % your a very healthy individual.. probably much healthier than the vast majority of applicants.

A note for all candidates/future applicants(such as meself :)) who are into their fitness training: start off with distance running to get a base level of fitness.. but forget about doing 5, 6, 7 etc mile runs. It has NO direct benefit for the role of a Garda. If you like the running, keep it up by all means. But if you want to be fit for the job, ditch the long distance running. Take up interval training(sprints) or fartlek training, as this works the system mostly used by Gardai. Train for what you may need.. i.e. a Garda will very rarely have to run more than 500m. So no point in training to be a marathon runner. Also, take up weight lifting for strength. You cannot get 'big' unless you eat to get big. Weight lifting makes you strong, another benefit for a Garda.

Just my advice to y'all at this unholy hour:D(damn shiftwork has my body clock fecked lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey, im still waiting for the Medical test, i know the eyesigt requirements but from yeer experiences were yeer both eyes tested individually of together?

Thanks Tommy.

Hi Tommy,

From my experience at medical in April they test eyes together and do them seperately as well. They do a pretty intensive eye test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

Hi Tommy,

From my experience at medical in April they test eyes together and do them seperately as well. They do a pretty intensive eye test.

yeah thats its Tommy tested together and separately..like any standard eye test with your optician
    ,when was your interview?

Advertisement