Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pinkest.barbie

Hi , i was just wondering if anybody can give me any tips on the medical .. two years ago I failed the medical by my BMI , I was really heart broken about it as I am very fit and play alot of sports ...I decided to go abroad and am back now Im applying again but am extremely nervous about the bmi, as I am well bulit , im not fat, but was very concerned when they put you on a machine , usually when your bmi is over they do a pince test to measure your fat to muscle. Im just wondering what the best thing to do, I eat well and play sports so im worried about the medical as getting into the guards is the most important thing i want to do in my life and means alot to me. any suggestions will help me thanks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

You must have been very unlucky or just got a doctor on a bad day! I know many Guards, and how they passed the medical ill never know. They were by no means skinny at the time of their medicals. Just keep fit and eating healthy and you will be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jim davis

barbie all i can say to you is three words

cardio cardio cardio!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you gotta get out there and pound the roads as much as you can

fast walking or jogging
    and really push yourself hard.
    sweat yout bmi down is the only way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iony

Hi , i was just wondering if anybody can give me any tips on the medical .. two years ago I failed the medical by my BMI , I was really heart broken about it as I am very fit and play alot of sports ...I decided to go abroad and am back now Im applying again but am extremely nervous about the bmi, as I am well bulit , im not fat, but was very concerned when they put you on a machine , usually when your bmi is over they do a pince test to measure your fat to muscle. Im just wondering what the best thing to do, I eat well and play sports so im worried about the medical as getting into the guards is the most important thing i want to do in my life and means alot to me. any suggestions will help me thanks :p

hi there,as far as i know your BMI must not be over 32 or 33,you'll find it on Boards.ie anyway,what i'm recommending you is plenty or exercise,runnin,cycling,etc..i'm playin soccer and trainnin twice a wk solid for 2hours,after my last check,my BMI was 24,not bad...
    i've passed all the exams since end of 2008 so it's a long wait for the medical and the PCT...as nobody knows when they're takin on new recruits..if this is what you really want,you'll have to work hard for it,i wish you all the best!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ntn

Hi iony. I'm in the same boat as you! It'll be February 08 since I applied and still no news. Last time I contacted them they told me that applications of those on the panel were still being processed but that they didn't have any more info to give me. But i heard recently that peple will have to apply again from scratch! How much of that's true I don't know....
    iony wrote: »
    hi there Devil 08,for example last time when i rang HQ,and asked them if they could double check what's my contact no.on their data base or at least my add..was told the server was down..after that i've asked where exactly am i standin with the recruitment proccess,nobody knows..after that i've asked them is there many left like me since 2008?? and what's the point'n startin another recruitment campaign with publicjobs when there's people waitin since 2008,was told is confidential!!!!this february comin it'll be 3years waitin for me!!!it's a joke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

ntn wrote: »
    Hi iony. I'm in the same boat as you! It'll be February 08 since I applied and still no news. Last time I contacted them they told me that applications of those on the panel were still being processed but that they didn't have any more info to give me. But i heard recently that peple will have to apply again from scratch! How much of that's true I don't know....

Ah no ways cant happen, im in the same boat as your sefl may 08 :mad:

rugby wrote: »
    Ah no ways cant happen, im in the same boat as your sefl may 08 :mad:

hi there,i don't think that'll happen,it'll be ridiculous and i'll be goin straight to the tv news about it:D:D:Di rang HQ last wk and was told i'm still on the list,and the very minute they'll get the "go ahead"word from the Minister,they'll send people for their medical and PCT,can be done in one day in Dublin...try call them again,that's all we can do unfortunately,and hope for the best:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ntn

Ya! And I'll come with you! It would be a complete joke, so much time and effort wasted on all parts if we did have to start again. What number do you have for them? cos the number I have doesn't connect anymore....
    hi there,i don't think that'll happen,it'll be ridiculous and i'll be goin straight to the tv news about it:D:D:Di rang HQ last wk and was told i'm still on the list,and the very minute they'll get the "go ahead"word from the Minister,they'll send people for their medical and PCT,can be done in one day in Dublin...try call them again,that's all we can do unfortunately,and hope for the best:D

ntn wrote: »
    Ya! And I'll come with you! It would be a complete joke, so much time and effort wasted on all parts if we did have to start again. What number do you have for them? cos the number I have doesn't connect anymore....

:D:D:D016662362,straight to the HQ..by the way,my name is Iony,you can send me a private message and i'll give ya my no.,then we'll keep in touch if there's any news there ok?thanks and hope for the best:D

Hey everyone waiting too be called for the medical and pct, this thrend has gotten very quiet, so whats ever up too trying too get fit and stuff
    :D keep the spirits up

• Advertisement

Hey everyone waiting too be called for the medical and pct, this thrend has gotten very quiet, so whats ever up too trying too get fit and stuff

hi there:Dstill waiting on the medical and pct,no news there,just rang the HQ yesterday,was told that there's no "age limit on the panel"as in..it doesn't matter if we're waiting for 2or 3years,this will never be canceled,we've passed the exams therefore we'll be always on the waiting list..and they still didn't get the"go ahead"from the Minister yet with the recruiting..when that'll happen,then we'll be called for the Medical and pct..the ususal..:D
    apart from that,bringin my kid swimmin every wk,and playing soccer in the league,think it's more than enough:D:Dwhat about yourself?all gd there?

hi there:Dstill waiting on the medical and pct,no news there,just rang the HQ yesterday,was told that there's no "age limit on the panel"as in..it doesn't matter if we're waiting for 2or 3years,this will never be canceled,we've passed the exams therefore we'll be always on the waiting list..and they still didn't get the"go ahead"from the Minister yet with the recruiting..when that'll happen,then we'll be called for the Medical and pct..the ususal..:D
    apart from that,bringin my kid swimmin every wk,and playing soccer in the league,think it's more than enough:D:Dwhat about yourself?all gd there?

Yes all good with me thanks, as sure it will happen when it will happen , we just gotta have patience :) hope all is good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Started playing soccer the last 2 months to get back to a decent level of fitness. Played my first full 90 minutes this morning. 2 training sessions every week but I'm still far from fit, i was also bagging on the bad weather getting the game called off so i had a few drinks last night which did not help.

You doing anything yourself to keep up the fitness levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Could anyone tell me is a blood test part of the exam. I have a morbid fear of needles by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Could anyone tell me is a blood test part of the exam. I have a morbid fear of needles by the way.

blood tests and needles=no. . . Unflattering dressing gown & a strange doctor touching your unmentionables=yes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Does anyone know what the story is for someone applying to AGS with Type 2 diabetes ?
    My son is currently in 1st year at college but hoping to join (or at least apply to join:)) when he finishes his degree.
    I searched here but couldn't find anything definite, or up to date.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is for someone applying to AGS with Type 1 diabetes ?
    My son is currently in 1st year at college but hoping to join (or at least apply to join:)) when he finishes his degree.
    Thanks.

Not too sure. Might be worth calling the appointments office to find out for sure. you can get the number from www.garda.ie. In my opinion it shouldnt hold him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fitzyked

can you join the emergensy responce unit if color blind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Steviewonder

Chest Cavity

Hi Lads I have a chest cavity since I was about 12.

Would this disqualify me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

fitzyked wrote: »
    can you join the emergensy responce unit if color blind
    Chest Cavity

Hi Lads I have a chest cavity since I was about 12.

Would this disqualify me?

From the Garda website

''
    Successful candidates at stages one and two of the selection process will also be required to undergo an exacting medical exam by a Registered Medical Practitioner nominated by the Garda Commissioner. Such candidates must be of good mental and bodily health and free from any defect or abnormality likely to interfere with the efficient performance of their duties.

Any of the following examples of medical conditions may be a bar to passing the medical exam:
    • Defective Vision: the vision standard required of a Garda trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision.
    • Varicose veins
    • Being overweight
    • Albumenuria
    • Dental Caries
    • Defective Hearing
    • Hypertension''
    To fitzy, I don't think you can join the Gardaí if you're colour blind. You ought to contact your optometrist to check if you are colour blind.

To Stevie, this is not on the list with disqualifying conditions so, unless it is likely to interfere with the efficient performance of duties, I don't think it'd be a problem.

Again, this is only my opinion. To clarify matters, ye should ring hq in Phoenix Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is for someone applying to AGS with Type 2 diabetes ?
    Thanks.
    This may disqualify him. Albuminuria is a disqualifying condition and it is prevelent in those with diabetes,(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albuminuria) particularaly Type 1. According to this study, albuminuria prevelance among those with type 2 diabetes is 36.3%This is only my OPINION, I am no doctor and I could be wrong. Given that your son only has type 2 diabetes, it is not probable that he has the condition.You ought to check with your GP to see if he has this condition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Martini88

Hey,
    Firstly just want to say that this thread has been a great help to me.

Just wondering if anyone know of people getting into AGS with chronic Hep B or penalty points?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭have_a_go_hero

is the cough test still done?!? bit draconian isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jackdempsy786

heh guys..this has been eating at me for a while..im extremely short sighted ( -7.00 in both eyes) but i hardly ever wear glasses..only contacts

anyways is there any hope if there is a new recruitment campaign next year?

any comments appreciated :)

thanks guys!

heh guys..this has been eating at me for a while..im extremely short sighted ( -7.00 in both eyes) but i hardly ever wear glasses..only contacts

anyways is there any hope if there is a new recruitment campaign next year?

any comments appreciated :)

thanks guys!

if i were you i'd get laser and fast! I was -2.75 in both eyes and scraped it, but got laser straight away just in case my medical expired etc. If you fail medical on eyesight alone, you are normally given a window period to get laser done and you would then be reconsidered, but i doubt this will be the case anymore. You used to have to have laser done for at least 6 months with letter from the optometrists confirming your new sight ability before you can be considered. I'd recommend gettin it done to be safe, its expensive but its an investment and there are lots of payment options available, you get substantial amount paid by vhi also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Hi all im wondering if anyone can enlighten me regarding the Garda medical and my spinal curve,I suffer from "mild thoracic scoliosis" of the spine roughly at a 30 degree angle.and although it gives me no pain I still managed to fail the army medical over it several years ago.But at the same time I passed the PSNI medical.Im just wondering if anybody has any info regarding back problems and the medical for the garda.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

anybody?

If I were you, I'd contact the HR department in Garda headquarters. They will transfer you the appropriate person to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Does short sightedness, about -3.5 in each eye, disqualify you? I'm considering the guards (if they start recruiting :L ), however I wouldn't want to get get laser eye surgery :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Does short sightedness, about -3.5 in each eye, disqualify you? I'm considering the guards (if they start recruiting :L ), however I wouldn't want to get get laser eye surgery :/

Probably, i think it's about -1.75 unaided by glasses. you will see it on the garda website the requirments

Defective Vision: the vision standard required of a Garda trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision.

best to get it checked out first.

Advertisement