Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Thanks Oggmonster.

Let's get thread back on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

Hi Oggmonster,

Thanks for keeping everyone updated, any word regarding those of us that have all parts completed and waiting for the call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭The Oggmonster

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    Hi Oggmonster,

Thanks for keeping everyone updated, any word regarding those of us that have all parts completed and waiting for the call?
    It's out of our hands after the interview stage so I don't know sorry.

A friend of mine went down with the last group (before the summer) and he was told that would be it for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

hey Oggmonster thanks for the update and the info have to say its good ta hear something postive at this stage because all we hear everyday is doom and gloom:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Heya Oggmonster,
    Thanks for the information:D
    Do you think your Garda section will be reformed prior to a public announcement on a new recruitment?
    You'll keep us updated if there is any sign of it happening?:):)

• Advertisement

To be honest there could be an announcement made first. There's a moratorium on Pubic Servant recruitment at the minute. Only posts approved by Lennihan are being filled so he'd have to ok any more Garda recruitment.

To be honest there could be an announcement made first. There's a moratorium on Pubic Servant recruitment at the minute. Only posts approved by Lennihan are being filled so he'd have to ok any more Garda recruitment.

I am aware of the moratorium:D
    I was just wondering could they start reforming your section on the down low in preparation for a drive a month or two before the drive was announced:)
    You would be able to give us the heads up!;)

If they do start the section up again I will let you know of any activity.

I'd say we'll have a huge number applying for the next competition :eek:

If they do start the section up again I will let you know of any activity.

I'd say we'll have a huge number applying for the next competition :eek:

Will mean lots of work for you:D
    Yep, am expecting that:( there will be huge competition!!will have to have to stand out from the crowd!
    Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

God I dont envy you guys waiting to apply. I wonder will they give batch priority to those who have been registered on public jobs the longest. Under the circumstances that would probably be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fears-over-lump-sum-prompts-garda-rush-for-early-retirement-1898165.html
    Fears over lump sum prompts garda rush for early retirement

Monday September 28 2009

FOUR hundred rank-and-file gardai have retired early from the force so far this year - more than treble the total for 2007.

They comprise the vast bulk of the overall figure of 579, who have decided to leave before their compulsory retirement age.

Also gone early are five chief superintendents, 22 superintendents, 24 inspectors and 126 sergeants.

The total of 579 compares with 243 last year and 177 in 2007 and indicates the concerns within the force about losing their lump sums if they wait until the end date and taxation of their pensions.

However, despite the exodus the overall strength of the force will still be greater by the end of the year than it was in December last year.

This is the result of the huge recruitment campaign, which has led to some 900 members being attested with full police powers this year.

According to Justice Minister Dermot Ahern, who published the retirement figures, the numbers attested significantly exceed any anticipated rate of retirement.

At present the strength of the force is 14,516, including 831 probationer gardai who have been attested but have not yet graduated.

There are also an additional unattested 600 students in training at the Garda College in Templemore, ensuring that the strength will reach a record high in 2010. Mr Ahern said that 100 students had been inducted into the college in February and another 100 in May before the ban on public service recruitment was brought in.

He intended to review the position on recruitment next year in consultation with Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy and Mr Ahern's colleague, Finance Minister Brian Lenihan.

The minister also argued that while the current rate of retirements had increased appreciably compared with previous years, it had to be remembered that the retirement age for the ranks of garda, sergeant and inspector had been increased in 2006 by three years to 60 and this year was now feeling the effects of an element of deferred retirements.

According to PJ Stone, general secretary of the Garda Representative Association, the early departure of some of its most experienced personnel meant that 60pc of the remainder had less than 10 years service and were at the start of the salary scale.

Exodus

Joe Dirwan, general secretary of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors, predicted that the exodus from the force would reach more than 800 by the end of the year.

He said the financial problems of the gardai had been exacerbated by being prohibited from taking on part-time work in many types of employment to make up their losses from additional tax and levies.

- Tom Brady, Security Editor

As always, nothing is set in stone. This is different than the article in the Daily Mail.. who's right? Nobody knows..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

anyone else cracking up with the waiting? not knowing? it's driving me bleedin' demented.

Kampuchea,

How are things ? Have you all stages complete or are you waiting for recruitment campaign ? I am waiting for call to Templemore, and yes am going simple here waiting. My life has been on hold now most of this year.

the not knowing anything or having any clear info is what is the worst thing:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    Kampuchea,

How are things ? Have you all stages complete or are you waiting for recruitment campaign ? I am waiting for call to Templemore, and yes am going simple here waiting. My life has been on hold now most of this year.

I missed the May 2009 campaign by a few points man, waiting for a new campaign, it's the not knowing thats killing me. You'll get there one day man, as I know i will....

:cool: still waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭michealc_87

Tick tock:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

hi folks
    im looking to apply for AGS on the next recruitment campaign an was just wondering if there is anything i can be working on now( other than fitness) to better prepare myself?
    any replies would be really appreciated!

hi,

you could try and get a degree in patience. Because its a long haul.
    Do a Garda pre entry course to cover the Apptitude Test and Interview.

well i know that they wont be recruiting untill 2011 but i was just wondering if there is anything i can do in the mean time to increase my chances.
    i searched up garda pre entry course and came across a course done <somewhere>. is this the course you are referring to?

• Advertisement

Hi,

A two day course on Aptitude - Will give you an upper hand on completing it quickly and scoring high. A two day course on Interview - Will go through all aspects of, and advise you of, the do's, donts,what to say, and what not to say.

thanks for that mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

hey was just wondering if somebody could give me a bit of advice i have applied for the reserves (as i hope it will give me a boost for the full time when they start recruiting again)
    there is an exemption form for the leaving cert with the reserves but i dont think there is for the full time?
    should i repeat my leaving cert OR do a course in criminology or something similar instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

hey was just wondering if somebody could give me a bit of advice i have applied for the reserves (as i hope it will give me a boost for the full time when they start recruiting again)
    there is an exemption form for the leaving cert with the reserves but i dont think there is for the full time?
    should i repeat my leaving cert OR do a course in criminology or something similar instead?

Redo the leaving I think is the only way. Unlike college courses they wont take similar sourse into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

cheers nice guy i think il go back and repeat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Missed out on this in '08 due to getting my leg smashed playing football 2 days before the apititude test!

Wouldnt mind giving it a shot as I'm pretty sure the job would suit me rather than this office malakary that I'm doing at present!

god things are quiet:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

you can actually hear yourself think in here these days...!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

I checked my email today, had an email from public jobs, i nearly fell off the chair, haha it was only to notify of changes in the website, I know the moratorium is still in place but i still got a fright:D

• Advertisement

Ha,

I have one better. Was around the yard at home last week in west cork when I got a phone call from a Dublin number, my heart was pounding. Next the Lady on the phone said she was from Public Appointments, I was nearly on the floor. She then said she was ringing with regard to an application I had made for the Garda Reserve in the past. I was gutted.

Advertisement