Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    What is the story with increments?Is it only for a 4 year degree that you get the extra money?How much do you get?Is it worth doing a degree before joining?I'm doing renewable energy in college would I have been better off doing something like forensics/social care which might help for the guards?
    Sorry for all the questions thanks!redface.gif

A course such as security studies would certainly benefit. Medical training such as EMT will also stand to you as some members on here have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

AFAIK all phases must be completed in their entirity with no exceptions. Any Garda I know has done the degree as part of recruit training. I am open to correction however.

Members up to 2005 (I think it ws 2005) recieved a diplioma. Now members recieve a degree. Garda Training College is now a third level college and so must give a qualification. You must complete all 5 phases as pointed out to "pass out"
    A course such as security studies would certainly benefit. Medical training such as EMT will also stand to you as some members on here have done.

+1.

Irish EMT course (PHECC approved) would be a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ginge82

Thankyou for your help guys.

I'm much clearer on the issue now. The very best of luck with all your applications present or future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

ginge82 wrote: »
    Thankyou for your reply,

Would I be expected to complete the police studies degree at Templemore if I wanted to be a full time guard?

Yes, the Policing Studies Degree IS the training to be a full time guard.

From the Garda website:
    What are the educational requirements?

Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:
    • A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    • A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
      English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
      Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
      Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    • A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects
    Or
    The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate
    Or
    Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.

What does the training involve?
    Basic training is divided into 5 phases and lasts 2 years. Initially, students spend 22 weeks at the Garda College in Templemore followed by a period of 24 weeks spent at selected stations under the direct supervision of tutorial staff. After further training at the College, students become members of the Service and are attached to stations. While they are now empowered to enforce legislation, they remain under probation for a further 2 year period.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=336&Lang=1&PersistList=1&PersistPage=213

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

I've asked this already but didn't get an answer.Could somebody please clarify how the increments work when you join the force after recieving a college degree?
    thanks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've asked this already but didn't get an answer.Could somebody please clarify how the increments work when you join the force after recieving a college degree?
    thanks.:)

Hey I just done a quick search and re-located this site: http://www.gra.cc/faq.shtml ... It states:

"Increments for Educational Qualifications.

Question: I am a Student-probationer at the Garda College. I held a third level degree prior to entry to an Garda Síochána. My question is regarding the increments that I would be entitled to because of my degree. When would I be entitled to these increments? How many increments am I entitled to? When do I apply?

Answer: Those members who hold a Degree or Diploma from a recognised Third Level Institution (i.e recognised by HETAC - within the 26 counties) prior to entry to an Garda Síochána are paid three additional increments. These are payable in addition to the following:-

One additional increment is payable in respect of members who attain one Grade 'B' and two Grade 'C' in 3 subjects (which must include Maths and English or Irish) at Honours Level in the Leaving Cert.

These increments are paid on the successful completion of two years service in the Force. (i.e. 2 years after attestation you should apply for same).

These regulations are contained in the Garda Síochána Finance Code
    (Note that increments are no longer paid to members who receive qualifications after joining the Force)."

Hope this helps a little.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hey I just done a quick search and re-located this site: http://www.gra.cc/faq.shtml ... It states:

"Increments for Educational Qualifications.

Question: I am a Student-probationer at the Garda College. I held a third level degree prior to entry to an Garda Síochána. My question is regarding the increments that I would be entitled to because of my degree. When would I be entitled to these increments? How many increments am I entitled to? When do I apply?

Answer: Those members who hold a Degree or Diploma from a recognised Third Level Institution (i.e recognised by HETAC - within the 26 counties) prior to entry to an Garda Síochána are paid three additional increments. These are payable in addition to the following:-

One additional increment is payable in respect of members who attain one Grade 'B' and two Grade 'C' in 3 subjects (which must include Maths and English or Irish) at Honours Level in the Leaving Cert.

These increments are paid on the successful completion of two years service in the Force. (i.e. 2 years after attestation you should apply for same).

These regulations are contained in the Garda Síochána Finance Code
    (Note that increments are no longer paid to members who receive qualifications after joining the Force)."

Hope this helps a little.
    Thanks man but what actually is an increment?How much are they worth and how do they work?ie.do you recieve them once or what?

Thanks man little lady ;) but what actually is an increment?How much are they worth and how do they work?ie.do you recieve them once or what?

Okay it's narrowed down somwhat now what you're looking for:

In short: An increment is an increase of some amount (maybe someone can say for certain the amount, I have a rough figure but it's not fact) to your salary.

Being honest though I think you should concentrate on getting in first and then start worrying about increments IF you are lucky enough to be successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭kjbsrah

Okay it's narrowed down somwhat now what you're looking for:

In short: An increment is an increase of some amount (maybe someone can say for certain the amount, I have a rough figure but it's not fact) to your salary.

Being honest though I think you should concentrate on getting in first and then start worrying about increments IF you are lucky enough to be successful.

i agree - if this is your motivation for joining then i wouldn't bother. if you even google your question you will get your answer....

http://www.gra.cc/payscales.shtml

you check out what the pay scale is after 2 years of service then add on 3 pay increases.... should be very self explanatory!!

kjbsrah wrote: »
    i agree - if this is your motivation for joining then i wouldn't bother. if you even google your question you will get your answer....

http://www.gra.cc/payscales.shtml

you check out what the pay scale is after 2 years of service then add on 3 pay increases.... should be very self explanatory!!
    No money is not my motivation to become a garda!I'm 19 and just wondering if its worth doing a degree before I apply when things pick up!Jeez ye people are moody!!!So basically you go up the payscale ladder faster than people who dont recieve increments?

• Advertisement

No money is not my motivation to become a garda!I'm 19 and just wondering if its worth doing a degree before I apply when things pick up!Jeez ye people are moody!!!So basically you go up the payscale ladder faster than people who dont recieve increments?

Yes but everyone catches up....you just start a little bit higher.....and no, were not moody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

god its getting annoying now........people constantly asking about increments and money.
    I'll tell ya know if you cant find the answers to these on the internet by yourself you'll probabaly have your work cut out for you to get through everything to join AGS.
    Complete wrong attitude, dont think laziness goes down to well in AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Ok, now I am finding this a bit annoying.

Yes, it is just lazy not looking up payscales and whatever, and yes, all the information is available on the web. These are fair points.

However, it is annoying when people say that if you are anyway interested in money or payscales then the gardai is not for you. Many people have commitments to fulfill, or even a quality of life which they would like. These are important factors when choosing a career. Obviously a job like the gardai is much more a vocation than a nine to five job, but still, these are important factors for anyone considering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

obviouslt it is important if its your life and will be your future salary, not debating that.
    Its wen people only post about pay levels and increments when they havent applied and dont seem concerned over anything else, thats what gets to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

itsallgood wrote: »
    obviouslt it is important if its your life and will be your future salary, not debating that.
    Its wen people only post about pay levels and increments when they havent applied and dont seem concerned over anything else, thats what gets to others.

Ya I can see how it's annoying alright, however, someone is entitled to question these aspects and after all this is a public forum.
    If I went looking for another job in the morning, I'd be sure do look up the financial aspect of the job before applying.

But it is annoying when something can be looked up so easily on a search engine and where someone can get an official answer to their question

Ok so we all agree that it is important to check financial aspect before you apply (maybe very important taking into account family etc)

Everyone - Try the seach function on the thread next time your looking for info. If you cant find it there (some searches are harder than others) then by all means ask away:).

Now....everyone happy, back on track;)

Ok so we all agree that it is important to check financial aspect before you apply (maybe very important taking into account family etc)

Geansai - Try the seach function on the thread next time your looking for info. If you cant find it there (some searches are harder than others) then by all means ask away:).

Now....everyone happy, back on track;)

Excuse me??

If you look back at the threads you will see that it was not me that had any problem with the search funtion, and I did not look for information from this thread.

I would appreciate an apology for your condescending and inaccurate comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Geansai wrote: »
    Excuse me??

If you look back at the threads you will see that it was not be that had any problem with the search funtion, and I did not look for information from this thread.

AH he wasn't been condescending, just passing on some helpful advise, he just got the names mixed up.

Fair enough. Maybe I just put a different tone to it, than was meant. But still, if you are going to state names, it is important that you use the right persons name.

Excuse me??

If you look back at the threads you will see that it was not me that had any problem with the search funtion, and I did not look for information from this thread.

Fair enough. Maybe I just put a different tone to it, than was meant. But still, if you are going to state names, it is important that you use the right persons name.

To be fair to NiceGuyAlways he is far from condescending to anyone on here. It was I'm certain purely an accidental error in inputting your name as opposed to mufc4lfe who was the member who iniatially asked about increments.

• Advertisement

I've read back over the last few posts and yes, all niceguyalways posts have been extremely informative and helpful. He genuinely seems to post here to help people who have questions, like many other people, and I'd like to thank him very much for that. Also, as I said, I may have read a different tone to that which was meant, for which I apologies, but my point still stands.

Anyway, lets not dwell. This recruitment eh... Are we still looking at roughly Nov 2010 or...

What is the best job to have in the garda siochana?Not just the financially best but overall best title?Is it a detective,traffic corps etc........:)

Excuse me??

My apologies, as stated i mixed your username up with another, was in a rush (ES is a big forum to mod and keep track of:))

My posts are in no way whatsoever aimed at being condescending. Never have and never will........accuracy is another issue!! Again sorry, happy posting!!
    To be fair to NiceGuyAlways he is far from condescending to anyone on here. It was I'm certain purely an accidental error in inputting your name as opposed to mufc4lfe who was the member who iniatially asked about increments.

Yes yes, thank you ker! On the ball!

What is the best job to have in the garda siochana?Not just the financially best but overall best title?Is it a detective,traffic corps etc........:)

I personally dont believe in titles. Detectives, Traffic, Dog unit........they are all still just Gardaí.

It takes more than a title to make a good Garda, and at the end of the day being good at the job is all that matters.

I personally dont believe in titles. Detectives, Traffic, Dog unit........they are all still just Gardaí.

It takes more than a title to make a good Garda, and at the end of the day being good at the job is all that matters.
    I agree totally with your your point man!Do you mind if I ask what your personal favourite unit would be though out of interest?

I agree totally with your your point man!Do you mind if I ask what your personal favourite unit would be though out of interest?

Im in Traffic so.....it has to be Traffic:D

But again....for everyone, dont let titles throw anyone. Being a good "regular" Garda gets you places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GAZ 1

Hi there,

Its probably way too late for any applications at this time of year, but i was wondering when the next recruitment is for the Gardaí or even the Garda Reserve?

I am 24 and spent 10 years living abroad and I have just moved back. I was educated in Spain and wondering if this is an issue.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to go about joining.

Thanks.

GAZ 1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Its probably way too late for any applications at this time of year, but i was wondering when the next recruitment is for the Gardaí or even the Garda Reserve?

I am 24 and spent 10 years living abroad and I have just moved back. I was educated in Spain and wondering if this is an issue.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to go about joining.

Thanks.

Hey Gaz1, what's it like being being back after 10years abroad?

It would be no harm for you to look back over this here thread and read about this moratorium on full-time recruitment, their are numerous links available back along.

As for the Garda Reserves, well they are all the time recruiting. Just log onto www.publicjobs.ie and register there and apply on that said website. You will be notified when the next stage1(interview & report writting) will be held in your chosen area(s) & you are then on your way with that application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GAZ 1

Hey Gaz1, what's it like being being back after 10years abroad?

It would be no harm for you to look back over this here thread and read about this moratorium on full-time recruitment, their are numerous links available back along.

As for the Garda Reserves, well they are all the time recruiting. Just log onto www.publicjobs.ie and register there and apply on that said website. You will be notified when the next stage1(interview & report writting) will be held in your chosen area(s) & you are then on your way with that application.

Thanks for that... Choosing Ireland over hot sunny Spain, people think I'm mad! As for being back here, things have changed... a lot!!! Getting used to it though.

• Advertisement

GAZ 1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that... Choosing Ireland over hot sunny Spain, people think I'm mad! As for being back here, things have changed... a lot!!! Getting used to it though.

Not a bother. Ah you know yourself though when the time is right to make such a move, would you go back again do you think? You know I find something different almost everyday which is good, keeps it fresh but I'd say you won't be long fitting back in though - some things just don't ever change.

Give a read though the info they provide also on publicjobs about applying as I am not sure about your educational qualifications.

Advertisement