Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

This was posted on another thread from the paper ..............

Garda numbers to fall as economic conditions worsen
    CONOR LALLY, Crime Correspondent

MINISTER FOR Justice Dermot Ahern has signalled that fewer people will be recruited to the Garda this year than previously planned because of the weakened Government finances.

In a series of answers to parliamentary questions, Mr Ahern said that intakes to Templemore beyond next month were in doubt.

"Calculations on the scale of the future intakes will be made closer to the relevant time, taking into account wider Government policy on the public service," he said in replies to Labour Party deputies.

Pressure on Garda numbers will be exacerbated further in the second half of the year when a spike in age-related retirements from the force will see more members leaving than at any time over the past three years.

The developments - which are likely to lead to a drop in the strength of the force this year - are expected to draw strong criticism from the Opposition and Garda representative associations.

It comes at a time when gun crime and drug dealing are at record levels and total recorded crime is also increasing, albeit modestly.

The Minister has indicated for the first time that previously announced plans to recruit 400 new gardaí annually will be reconsidered.

Over the past two years just over 1,000 trainees per year have entered the Garda College, Templemore, Co Tipperary. Those numbers represented record levels and drove the expansion of the force from 12,000 to a planned 15,000 members.

There are currently 14,445 attested members - those with full powers - with an additional 945 in training. The trainees will qualify on a phased basis over the next two years.

Even if the long-promised 15,000 full attested strength is achieved late this year, the combination of a spike in retirements and reduced recruitment will see numbers immediately fall back.

In October's Budget it was announced that the annual intake of gardaí to Templemore was being scaled back from just over 1,000 recruits per year to 400 recruits, in four intakes of 100.

The first class of 100 entered Templemore in November.

Mr Ahern has now cast doubt on whether these intakes would continue on the same scale.

He said a "similar intake" to that in November was planned for next month.

However, he said intakes to Templemore beyond next month had to take into account the "wider Government policy on the public service".

Even if the previously promised 400-strong annual intake is maintained, numbers in the force would be marginally in decline by the end of the year because of the spike in retirements.

If the number of recruits falls below 400, Garda numbers will decline much more significantly.

The spike in retirements will take place because members who were able to remain working when the retirement age was increased from 57 to 60 years almost three years ago are due to begin retiring on age grounds in the second half of this year.

Because fewer members have had to retire for age-related reasons since mid-2006, when the retirement age was changed, the numbers leaving the force had dropped from an average of 470 members in 2004 and 2005 to 289 members in 2007 and 239 members in the first nine months of 2008.

However, when age-related retirements begin again later this year, the total figures leaving An Garda Síochána will return to numbers above 400. That means retirees and other departures will outnumber those joining, even if the promised 400 recruits per year intake is maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

Paolo5 wrote: »
    This was posted on another thread from the paper ..............

Garda numbers to fall as economic conditions worsen
    CONOR LALLY, Crime Correspondent

MINISTER FOR Justice Dermot Ahern has signalled that fewer people will be recruited to the Garda this year than previously planned because of the weakened Government finances.

In a series of answers to parliamentary questions, Mr Ahern said that intakes to Templemore beyond next month were in doubt.

"Calculations on the scale of the future intakes will be made closer to the relevant time, taking into account wider Government policy on the public service," he said in replies to Labour Party deputies.

Pressure on Garda numbers will be exacerbated further in the second half of the year when a spike in age-related retirements from the force will see more members leaving than at any time over the past three years.

The developments - which are likely to lead to a drop in the strength of the force this year - are expected to draw strong criticism from the Opposition and Garda representative associations.

It comes at a time when gun crime and drug dealing are at record levels and total recorded crime is also increasing, albeit modestly.

The Minister has indicated for the first time that previously announced plans to recruit 400 new gardaí annually will be reconsidered.

Over the past two years just over 1,000 trainees per year have entered the Garda College, Templemore, Co Tipperary. Those numbers represented record levels and drove the expansion of the force from 12,000 to a planned 15,000 members.

There are currently 14,445 attested members - those with full powers - with an additional 945 in training. The trainees will qualify on a phased basis over the next two years.

Even if the long-promised 15,000 full attested strength is achieved late this year, the combination of a spike in retirements and reduced recruitment will see numbers immediately fall back.

In October's Budget it was announced that the annual intake of gardaí to Templemore was being scaled back from just over 1,000 recruits per year to 400 recruits, in four intakes of 100.

The first class of 100 entered Templemore in November.

Mr Ahern has now cast doubt on whether these intakes would continue on the same scale.

He said a "similar intake" to that in November was planned for next month.

However, he said intakes to Templemore beyond next month had to take into account the "wider Government policy on the public service".

Even if the previously promised 400-strong annual intake is maintained, numbers in the force would be marginally in decline by the end of the year because of the spike in retirements.

If the number of recruits falls below 400, Garda numbers will decline much more significantly.

The spike in retirements will take place because members who were able to remain working when the retirement age was increased from 57 to 60 years almost three years ago are due to begin retiring on age grounds in the second half of this year.

Because fewer members have had to retire for age-related reasons since mid-2006, when the retirement age was changed, the numbers leaving the force had dropped from an average of 470 members in 2004 and 2005 to 289 members in 2007 and 239 members in the first nine months of 2008.

However, when age-related retirements begin again later this year, the total figures leaving An Garda Síochána will return to numbers above 400. That means retirees and other departures will outnumber those joining, even if the promised 400 recruits per year intake is maintained.

This is very worrying!!!!!! The wait was long enough before recession backlash hit!!! Its not just AGS being affected, the Army have haulted recruitment entirely. No more cadets for another two years! WTF is happening the public service!?????? Worrying times!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

hi!! I'm new to the boards, so I hope I'm posting in the right place! It took me about two hours to get this far..anyway, I'll be finished in college next year, and hope to join the GS after that. I want to apply in the next recruitment (whenever that will be!). Here's what I'm confused about...Say if I was successful in my application, but I wasn't finished college, how long is it possible to defer for? I know that you can defer for one intake...is that the most? I know its not likely I would need to defer for any longer than that, but I'd rather know what the rules are before I apply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

hi!! I'm new to the boards, so I hope I'm posting in the right place! It took me about two hours to get this far..anyway, I'll be finished in college next year, and hope to join the GS after that. I want to apply in the next recruitment (whenever that will be!). Here's what I'm confused about...Say if I was successful in my application, but I wasn't finished college, how long is it possible to defer for? I know that you can defer for one intake...is that the most? I know its not likely I would need to defer for any longer than that, but I'd rather know what the rules are before I apply!

Im not sure about this but I think its totally at the descretion of AGS as to whether and for how long you can defer.

In your case, I cant see how you would need to defer because its unlikely that there will be an drive before May (if at all this year) and the whole process seems to take upwards on a year to complete.....which brings you to June 2010 (at the very earliest) by which time you should be finished college.:D

li@mo wrote: »
    Im not sure about this but I think its totally at the descretion of AGS as to whether and for how long you can defer.

In your case, I cant see how you would need to defer because its unlikely that there will be an drive before May (if at all this year) and the whole process seems to take upwards on a year to complete.....which brings you to June 2010 (at the very earliest) by which time you should be finished college.:D

Ok..thanks [EMAIL="li@mo"]li@mo[/EMAIL]!
    You're probably right..the least of my problems would be a deferral!! It's good to know anyway! Thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

This is brutal tbh! I cant believe the whole cut back in all of this! Especially the drawbacks in the Cadets. I hope the drive is soon cause I know its what I want to do and Im tired of waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Hi,
    In college myself and have passed all the recruitment phases, just waiting on the call now. Was told I'd be able to defer till I finish college in May. They are not too sure themselves but it's usually one and in some cases two deferrals with a good excuse.
    But the way its going now the slow down in recruitment might suit you.

Hi,
    In college myself and have passed all the recruitment phases, just waiting on the call now. Was told I'd be able to defer till I finish college in May. They are not too sure themselves but it's usually one and in some cases two deferrals with a good excuse.
    But the way its going now the slow down in recruitment might suit you.

Yeah..the more I read this thread, it seems like there's no way I'd have to defer anyway! I emailed templemore before to ask about deferals and I got an email back that didn't answer what I was asking at all!!...At least you've passed all of your recruitment phases though!!!..thats one thing less to worry about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

They do not have the 400 required for next year!!.My dad is friends with a
    chief super.He told dad that there will DEFINENTLY be a Recruitment campaign in 2009.the worst thing about this site is to many people make
    2 many assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

It's not really assumptions tbh, it's too many rumours and hear-say. For everyone that hears there will definately be a new campaign, there is someone who hears there will definately not be. Fact is, nobody knows. We can gather all the 'information' and make educated guesses until somebody else hears something else to throw a spanner in the works but realistically the only thing for certain is that only time will tell so either way take everything you hear with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

That is true blue belle, Dont get me wrong this site is extremely helpful and a great asset to people to share experiences, hints and tips, But there are so many different peple with different taughts and opinions it is hard to get a solid answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Hey,

Can anyone please tell me what is this Templemore? is it like a central garda school?

What are the wages like? when you are a garda your first year

Do you get paid anything while you are in college? cause otherwise how do you pay for things if you can't get a job.

Thank You!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Calm down, crime rates are rising and they will do more so during the recession.
    Then there will be public outcry and numbers will be boosted.

These things go around in cycles all the time.

Infact, crime has a tendancy to increase during recessions.
    Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

Hi CyberGhost, Templemore is the Garda training college located in Templemore Co Tipperary, Guards wages increase with time served a list of the current rates can be found at www.gra.ie, Also yes you do get paid while at college although it isn't a whole lot, I think the current rate is €202.47 this can also be seen at the above website, but this amount isn't too bad considering accomodation, food ect is alredy taken care of,
    hope this helps..

Well rumours,assumptions and hearsay whatever it is I think The Government have made an absolute hash of the recruitment section.
    I mean In late October You had Dermot Ahern saying that the 26% slash
    in The Garda Overtime will allow for Recruitment to continue and then you
    have him comming out late last week and stating that Intakes into Templemore Garda College after Feb will be reconsidered. I mean this is a
    senior politician Contradicting Himself.And some will argue that the Economy is sliding further into Minus Figures but only 2 weeks ago You had the Garda Policing Prospects for 2009 clearly stating that the 400 recruits for 2009 WILL go ahead.Surely things have not fallen that bad over a 2 week period.To Me and Im sure most will Feel the same this government has not got a clue what is going on. I mean We can take examples Such as the HSE fiasco,E-voting Etc this will show you the type of people we are dealing with here.Clowns,Sweet-talkers and Major LIARS'.

Must the Government Screw up people who are looking to better Ireland and serve in a Pride enriched Organisation We call An Garda Siochana. For Me and many others 2009 looks gloomy just as predicted!.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

psni wrote: »
    An Garda Siochana recruit often. Post your questions, answers, comments, information, advice or experiences here.

Just wondered is it a mandatory requirement to be a thick, ignorant, narrow-minded bog trotter to join, or is everyone welcome??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

keith101 wrote: »
    Hi CyberGhost, Templemore is the Garda training college located in Templemore Co Tipperary, Guards wages increase with time served a list of the current rates can be found at www.gra.ie, Also yes you do get paid while at college although it isn't a whole lot, I think the current rate is €202.47 this can also be seen at the above website, but this amount isn't too bad considering accomodation, food ect is alredy taken care of,
    hope this helps..

its more than you get on the dole anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

slingerz wrote: »
    its more than you get on the dole anyway!!
    197.40 on the old rockn roll! get a med card as well! wahoo!

I smell a ban a-coming.. Trolling is against the charter A Fitz and Im sure you can figure out yourself that youre in the wrong forum to break the rules :)
    Ruairi, unfortunately you are preaching to the converted. The thing is whatever they tell us today may be true today, but that may change tomorrow. That's life, and that's most definitely politics. There's a school of thought that says that the recruitment process teaches the patience needed to be a Guard. Go with that, or you'l drive yourself mad!

Blue Belle, I understand what u are saying.are u a teacher or something?.
    Also I am not being impatient I was just stressing a point.Its just that it
    would be nice for the Gov to assure people from time to time.

• Advertisement

Haha no Im not a teacher, Im just so used to this process by now that I think I know it inside out. I've done the stressing, denial, anger, sorrow about it and im now in phase 5- acceptance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Blue Belle wrote: »
    I smell a ban a-coming.. Trolling is against the charter A Fitz and Im sure you can figure out yourself that youre in the wrong forum to break the rules :)

I have infracted him only (maybe I'm getting soft) but we will see if he can learn from his mistakes. Doubt it though

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    I was just stressing a point.Its just that it
    would be nice for the Gov to assure people from time to time.

What is the point in all of this to be honest. You like most prob read and look at the news! Since when does anyone in Ireland start trusting our government to do the right thing. They will never assure us of anything and if they do it will always be at our loss! There is nothing you I or any garda can do about it! Its just a fact of life in ireland so pointless ranting about it TBH! So just accept that man!

People Just have to wait out! There will be a recruitment phase soon so just have to wait for it then work hard to get in cause its not going to be as easy as it always has been due to the drop in numbers being taken on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Tbh, I am beginning to see the positive side to the slow down in recruitment. The extra length in waiting time will weed out the time wasters who are joining solely for all the wrong reasons(money, job security etc), and free up places for those who want to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

eroo wrote: »
    Tbh, I am beginning to see the positive side to the slow down in recruitment. The extra length in waiting time will weed out the time wasters who are joining solely for all the wrong reasons(money, job security etc), and free up places for those who want to be there.

Yes but with the downturn brings more applicants and fewer places which means more competition.

What your saying is true but the long process wont mean it gets easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

li@mo wrote: »
    Yes but with the downturn brings more applicants and fewer places which means more competition.

What your saying is true but the long process wont mean it gets easier.

thats why an applicant has to stand out from the crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Talking Head

Hi, i will be applying when the next drive starts. Im just wondering if it would be a bad idea to book a 3 week holiday in mid july incase I might need to do something during that time.

Hi Talking Head. I think it all depends on how much you want to join. Unfortunately I'd say it's a case of if you book it you'l be sorry you did, if you dont you'l be sorry you didnt. As far as I can remember the aptitude tests are done over 4 weeks and if you call early enough to book it you can pick a date that suits you best..
    If there is a campaign in feb though, and you get an interview date for July then you wont be so lucky.. Would you be willing to cancel the holiday for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Talking Head

Hi Blue belle. Thanks for the reply. I would be willing to cancel the holiday. The only thing is I would be throwing away the €500 id have payed for the flights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 becks4bucks

hey lads - long time since i was here , made a big mistake last drive - got the apptitude but decided not to do the interview for various reasons. i hope to god there is a drive in feb as ill be 33 at the end of this year. should i pass the apptitude again do u reckon ill need a lot of explaining to do in the interview as to why i didnt attend the last interview.

Advertisement