Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 happy days

Does anyone have any idea when the next phase of recruitment is going to take place???????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

happy days wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when the next phase of recruitment is going to take place???????????

no-one knows mate. Ring Public Appointments and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Chris007 wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering applying for the guards in a few years. I'm also very interested in doing a postgrad course(maybe a masters) in criminology. My question is, would this degree help me in being succesful in applying for the guards? And, would it be useful in daily garda duties? Any advice would be much appreciated!! :D

It may help you when applying but tbh it would help you more for promotion in the job rather than joining. IMO you could be the most intelligent person in the world and still be a bad copper. Its more about personal traits along with common sense that makes a good police officer.

If you were 18 - 19 would you have as good of chance of getting in as someone more mature?

The more mature the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

If you were 18 - 19 would you have as good of chance of getting in as someone more mature?

its all depends on you experiences and you level of maturity, all you can do is apply and give it a go. if anything after the application process you will know if its what you really want, you will learn alot about your self and who know you could get it. no one can really answer that question!!! good luck what ever you decide!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

happy days wrote: »

November, january 09, could be anytime!:) its the first site of a long waiting game:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭super_shellers

As dkhill47 says it depends on your own experience and your level of maturity. There are a good few people in my intake that are 19 or 20. However I wouldnt recommend joining straight after school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

farzad wrote: »
    Notices
    Hey everyone. If you like boards.ie and want to show some support for us, please go here: http://www.goldenspiders.ie/publicvoting.php and vote for us! Thanks!

i voted ...... board.ie is the best one:D

Farzad man this is way off topic. post deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 farzad

TheNog wrote: »
    Farzad man this is way off topic. post deleted

oK:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Timmy29

Hey, I read from a previous post that Kilroy's preparation exams are poor. Does anyone know of a good course provider out there that I can register with?

Timmy29 wrote: »
    Hey, I read from a previous post that Kilroy's preparation exams are poor. Does anyone know of a good course provider out there that I can register with?

ya, theres a sergeant in templemore that is very good, cant remem her name, someone else will tell u, celtic07 told me bout her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Greycliff

Her name is D'estelle Roe she has a website. She is fantastic,i went to her and got through the interview first time a month ago. Defo get in contact with her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

Any word of any recruitment campaigns opening soon? It's not looking great for before Christmas really is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Timmy29

Greycliff wrote: »
    Her name is D'estelle Roe she has a website. She is fantastic,i went to her and got through the interview first time a month ago. Defo get in contact with her :D

Thanks for that Greycliff!! I looked up her name and came across her website: http://mdrconsultants.ie/ Will get in contact with her. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

For everyone waiting to hear on the next Garda Recruitment drive:

I just contacted P.A.S. and was informed that contrary to what was planned before, circumstances have now changed and their won't be another Garda Recuitment Drive in 2008 & Their are no plans as to when next year one will be organised.

Heads up though ... It just means more time to prepare for when it does come around. Competition will be tough again & all the preparation you can do in the mean-time should certainly stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

kerry4sam wrote: »

I just contacted P.A.S. and was informed that contrary to what was planned before, circumstances have now changed and their won't be another Garda Recuitment Drive in 2008 & Their are no plans as to when next year one will be organised.

Heads up though ... It just means more time to prepare for when it does come around. Competition will be tough again & all the preparation you can do in the mean-time should certainly stand to you.

A bad week just got worse.:(

On the upside, I can continue building up my CV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

thats what i was told a few weeks ago. garda headquaters also told me that it was looking like the middle of next year fot the next one as they have quite a few waiting to go down and who have recently passed. a friend of mine went down in august and there were something like 245 that went down. he said a new group started last monday and there are 90 in it. talk about cutting it down! he also said there are major cutbacks down there also.

Greycliff wrote: »

What kind of cost would you be looking at?

jwt22 wrote: »
    What kind of cost would you be looking at?

its all on the website.

pvt.joker wrote: »
    its all on the website.

Been on the website today and had a look. From what I can see it's just a one page site advertising what she does but no prices

jwt22 wrote: »
    Been on the website today and had a look. From what I can see it's just a one page site advertising what she does but no prices

fair enough. its not too expensive. 100 euro or so for interview coaching. highly recommended.

• Advertisement

pvt.joker wrote: »
    fair enough. its not too expensive. 100 euro or so for interview coaching. highly recommended.

No, not too bad, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 canonh21

Does anybody Know exactly what is required to pass the Verbal Evaluation test? I have heard 24/60 and also 45/60 but dont know which one to go by

canonh21 wrote: »
    Does anybody Know exactly what is required to pass the Verbal Evaluation test? I have heard 24/60 and also 45/60 but dont know which one to go by

hey, this has been answered in the thread on Stage1A - The Aptitude Test found here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289430

• Registered Users Posts: 5 canonh21

hey, this has been answered in the thread on Stage1A - The Aptitude Test found here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289430

Its the verbal reasoning test I'm interested in which is done on stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭willit

I'm totally new here which is a shame because if Iwould have known about this site months ago it might have meant that I would not now be one of those in the queue waiting to hear when the next recruitment drive will be. My question is about the application process. I registered on publicjobs.ie on 12/05 this year after returning from a few years living in Australia. I thought I would just receive an e-mail about the next open recruitment because there were so many over the last number of years so I didn't give it a second thought and just went on about my current job. Now reading this thread I can see that there was a recruitment drive after I registered however I never received a word. My question is could there be something wrong with the way I signed up on the website? I went in yesterday and it is set as a job alert for me with the date above as when I posted the alert so I can't understand why I didn't get notified in May. Maybe I registered too late, but reading this thread the May drive started a couple of days after I registered. Sorry about the long thread but I am just worried that I might miss the next recruitment because of a problem with the site or the way I registered. Any info would be a huge help.

willit wrote: »
    I'm totally new here which is a shame because if Iwould have known about this site months ago it might have meant that I would not now be one of those in the queue waiting to hear when the next recruitment drive will be. My question is about the application process. I registered on publicjobs.ie on 12/05 this year after returning from a few years living in Australia. I thought I would just receive an e-mail about the next open recruitment because there were so many over the last number of years so I didn't give it a second thought and just went on about my current job. Now reading this thread I can see that there was a recruitment drive after I registered however I never received a word. My question is could there be something wrong with the way I signed up on the website? I went in yesterday and it is set as a job alert for me with the date above as when I posted the alert so I can't understand why I didn't get notified in May. Maybe I registered too late, but reading this thread the May drive started a couple of days after I registered. Sorry about the long thread but I am just worried that I might miss the next recruitment because of a problem with the site or the way I registered. Any info would be a huge help.

well okay
    firstly: check again your www.publicjobs.ie alert : If that has ES Garda Recruitment set as an alert, then honestly that it all you can do and you will be notified when the next drive will start (which is now likely to be next year)

secondly: as for May campaign - what happens with the recruitment drives is that they open the post for a set time frame (approx 1week to 10days) and you have to be registered and have applied for the position within that time-frame only to be in the running for that campaign.

What i think happened to you was that the post was closed before you
    registered and you were therefore not eligible to enter that recruitment drive. The campaign started then approx 1week after the post closed which would have been around the time that you registered.

Hope the above makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭willit

K4S - Thanks for your reply. I figured that it would be something like that but when I found this site and read the start of this thread it freaked me a little. On the advice of a cousin who's a member, I spent the last ten years working and travelling to get a taste for what else is out there. In honesty, it's only made me realise that my first impulse to join the force out of college was the right one. At thirty and with the recession / cutbacks in hiring, I figure I might not have too many opportunities left to join so I got a bit antsy. Although I did hear an interview on the radio this lunchtime from our Commissioner saying that spending on frontline Garda requirements will not be affected, hopefully that means the cutbacks on recruitment won't be as bad as many here think.:confused:

willit wrote: »
    K4S - Thanks for your reply. I figured that it would be something like that but when I found this site and read the start of this thread it freaked me a little. On the advice of a cousin who's a member, I spent the last ten years working and travelling to get a taste for what else is out there. In honesty, it's only made me realise that my first impulse to join the force out of college was the right one. At thirty and with the recession / cutbacks in hiring, I figure I might not have too many opportunities left to join so I got a bit antsy. Although I did hear an interview on the radio this lunchtime from our Commissioner saying that spending on frontline Garda requirements will not be affected, hopefully that means the cutbacks on recruitment won't be as bad as many here think.:confused:

no bother willit, that's what this forum is about. You know when it comes to cutbacks and recruitment: it is all about what is in their budget, what resources are required and what their target of Garda numbers actually is.

At the moment they have reached what they deem to be their target number of Gardai; and have scalled back the intakes to just about cover the retirements/resignations/dismissals etc. It is all about resources eatting into their budget and when their is an incident that requires increased Garda presence or increased Garda resources in an area at a certain time then that's resources out of their budget which just couldn't have been planned for.

Next year their will be 4recruitment drives and 4in-takes into Templemore but their will only be 400 taken in throughout all of next year as of now.

Situations will change and resources will be spent on where they are most needed, and recruitment was always going to be one that would be scalled back (unfortunate for those waiting to apply) but their is nothing we can do about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 bruno_12345

Sorry for asking but whats the best preparation that you can do. At the moment I'm training my ass off trying to lost the weight but what else can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Next year their will be 4recruitment drives and 4in-takes into Templemore but their will only be 400 taken in throughout all of next year as of now.

May not even be that as one of two have mentioned:confused:

Advertisement