Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joanne30

i-digress wrote: »
    I'm having a bad day. It's the uncertainty. If I knew the next recruitment drive wouldn't be until January 2010, at least I'd know!!!This is driving me crazy. February is going to be a loooong month. And publicjobs might not even email!!!

Sorry guys, I needed to vent! :mad:

I know how you feel, I keep checking the web everyday just incase!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

TkdBen wrote: »
    Im plannin on leavin college to do it, pretty stupid ha but if i get in im not gonna say no! Its too exciting of a job to let pass by plus i can go back to college anytime, if I dont get in ill just keep goin in college.....my master plan:D

If you get the degree first, you'll go three points up the pay scale. That's my "master plan" - I'll be finishing college in 2012 so hopefully the recruiting wil be back up to speed by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Joanne I do that too! Plus, slightly neurotically, I regularly check publicjobs.ie to check for the gazillionth time that yes, I did sign up for that job alert! :D

College ain't for everyone, but I only realised halfway through mine that the gardai was for me. I enjoy my degree, and its a bit of a safety net. I would have been waaaay to immature at eighteen (again, just me) and I think having a rough time personally over the past years really made me grow up and cop on. So even though getting in is harder now I'm glad I did things this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

just in the same boat as most of you,s please god we get word of a competition in feb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shaneohanlon90

hi everyone! my name is shane. i have my garda reserve interview on the 4th feb and i need some tips!! how long should your answers to questions be and if anyone would like to tell me what questions they got asked during the interview i would appreciate it . thanks

just in the same boat as most of you,s please god we get word of a competition in feb

Please God they don't log on here and see your username! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

hi everyone! my name is shane. i have my garda reserve interview on the 4th feb and i need some tips!! how long should your answers to questions be and if anyone would like to tell me what questions they got asked during the interview i would appreciate it . thanks

Hi Shane

Here is the link to the Reserves thread on this forum. The guys in there are sound and more than willing to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LiquidForSolid9

Any news on garda recruitment 09. Registered on publc jobs jus wondering if any one heard enting? thanks

Nope, nothing concrete. If you read back for the last few pages you'll see a few theories, but that's all they are. What I can say is that the traffic to the emergency services boards as a whole seems to have increased (others will correct me if I'm wrong). When I logged on a few months ago the 'numbers viewing' list would say '2' or '4'. Now its '12' and '16'. So when a recruitment drive does come competition will be heavy, due to the current economic climate. Don't let that put you off though, nothing worth doing is easy. Welcome to the site. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 joanne30

Joanne I do that too! Plus, slightly neurotically, I regularly check publicjobs.ie to check for the gazillionth time that yes, I did sign up for that job alert! :D

Hey
    Im glad I'm not the only one losing there mind waiting, we can all go mad together!

TkdBen wrote: »
    Realy? what are you doin in college? I think id rather Do the gardai now then if i ever felt the need to go back to college ( although i doubt it ) it would be there for me

Doing Transport Ops and Technology in DIT. Hopefully it'll be some way relevant, too :)

Yourself?

Just read that AGS are looking to get more civilians involved in jobs that uniformed members used to do. That will cut the number they need to recruit alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Just read that AGS are looking to get more civilians involved in jobs that uniformed members used to do. That will cut the number they need to recruit alright.

where did ye see that?

Here's the link, doesn't say much about it, just what I posted above really.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1221/breaking38.html

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Ya, its in the policing plan 2009. They call it "Identification of maximum number of Garda posts appropriate for Civilianisation" on page 15. It also says they're recuiting 400 recruits throughout the 4 quarters. I presume this means 100 a quarter. Even if they do use the candidates already in the system they will still have to get new candidates for next year, so I'd expect the next recruitment drive to be in the Summer. Thats just my opinion anyway.

Hasn't Dermot Ahern hinted that there may be less than that? Not that I'm not yearning for you to be right you understand! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Hi im doing my lc this year and plan on doing information systems management in tralee it.I would like to join the gardai.I heard that if you join the garda after getting a degree you are entitled to around 6000 on top of your starting salary once your fully trained.
    -is this any degree ord/hons in an it/uni
    -is there any courses they look for specifically that would get you in

appreciate it if these questions could be answered!
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

joanne30 wrote: »
    Hey
    Im glad I'm not the only one losing there mind waiting, we can all go mad together!

my days of going mad are long gone i,m 29
    10 years in the same job that drove me mad lol
    mad enough to up and leave take voluntary redundancy and start studying for the competition that may not even come around till god knows and im in the gym most days 6ft1 78kilos compared to 3months ago i was 92kilos
    so i reckon i should get word 1st seen that im officially the madist 1 here

but seriously its a waiting game and im so determined that im going to try this year and next year untill im over the age limit
    sorry for the rant
    @ i-digress i,ll change my name when you get the answers for verbal reasoning AGS comp2009 lol

take care and chat to you soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Hi im doing my lc this year and plan on doing information systems management in tralee it.I would like to join the gardai.I heard that if you join the garda after getting a degree you are entitled to around 6000 on top of your starting salary once your fully trained.

thanks.

doubt very much its that much if anyone knows for certain post away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Celtic07 wrote: »

its worth 3 increments. Which I also very much doubt would be 6000 euro :D

mufc4lfe wrote: »

thanks.
    Celtic07 wrote: »
    pvt.joker wrote: »
    its worth 3 increments. Which I also very much doubt would be 6000 euro :D

It's not far off for the first few increments tbh.

http://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/08012_Notes_for_Candidates.pdf - see page 16.
    Also see www.gra.cc for pay scales and increments.

Brian Cowen said talks with the socil partners may run over the initial deadline set for January 31st. The Irish Times said Cowen will speak tomorrow and Thursday about the economy, so we should get some idea then about the way the land is lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Brian Cowen said talks with the socil partners may run over the initial deadline set for January 31st. The Irish Times said Cowen will speak tomorrow and Thursday about the economy, so we should get some idea then about the way the land is lying.

27/01/2009 - 08:12:55
    The Garda Commissioner is due to appear before the Oireachtas Justice Committee today to discussing policing proiorities for the coming year.

Fachtna Murphy is expected to be questioned by committee members about efforts to combat anti-social behaviour and gangland activity.

Four men have been shot dead in gangland attacks in Dublin so far this year.

However, speaking in the city yesterday, Mr Murphy said the Gardaí had prevented many more fatalities through their dedicated work against organised criminals.

I'd expect more to be said here than with the social partners regarding garda recruitment...

You're probably right, but Cowen's speeches should be...interesting...too. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Ahern mentioned yesterday (at the opening of the new Ballymun station) that the intake this year was 400 - hopefully this means 4 batches head down this year anyway as planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    It's not far off for the first few increments tbh.

http://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/08012_Notes_for_Candidates.pdf - see page 16.
    Also see www.gra.cc for pay scales and increments.

how much is each increment though?

If you follow the links sdonn_1 posted you'll see. All increments are not equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Anybody know when the next recruitment drive is? I applied to publicjobs.ie last May and i havnt got an email calling me for an apt, nada! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

Princessa wrote: »
    Anybody know when the next recruitment drive is? I applied to publicjobs.ie last May and i havnt got an email calling me for an apt, nada! :(

Nobody knows. You havent recieved anything because there as been no recruitment cycle since last may. If one comes up soon then you'll probably see it advertised in the national and local papers before the competition opens.

Advertisement