Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mackerel fishing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Got a nice few in bay of Skerries yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Will be in waterford Bunmahon area next week any place worth going to for the mack's Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Got 120 last week out of cork harbour, they on their way in

what in gods name do you catch 120 for? and talk about over fishing! same goes for experimenter who took 40 or so. at the end of the day their is next Season you want to go out. its getting bad enough going out and getting nothing.

and wondering why am i not getting anything anymore thinking its the fishing boats out in sea sucking the Sea Dry. then come here and see those post as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Does anybody know if the Macks are in yet in Galway? Off the shore I mean.

Spiddal/Salthill/Claddagh etc

all i know is their in Cork but only a few, only about 2 weeks felt to fish them so hurry bud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Just to clarify, we got about 37 between three guys fishing...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

elius wrote: »
    Will be in waterford Bunmahon area next week any place worth going to for the mack's Cheers..

Yeah Boatstrand, couple of mins from Bunmahon. Dont go down to harbour, to many rocks and will lose gear. When your coming from bunmahon direction park up just before the caravan park. You will see a gate, walk down through 2 fields. and you will be on the rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Just wondering if there is there much of a difference in activity when fishing the am tide as opposed to the pm one?

Are the mackerel anymore likely to be caught off either one???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Dunloaoighre lads?

Cork24 wrote: »
    what in gods name do you catch 120 for? and talk about over fishing! same goes for experimenter who took 40 or so. at the end of the day their is next Season you want to go out. its getting bad enough going out and getting nothing.

and wondering why am i not getting anything anymore thinking its the fishing boats out in sea sucking the Sea Dry. then come here and see those post as well.

Thats a little harsh i caught 70 odd back in june and kept 15 fir myself the rest went to elderly people and alike who love and appreciate some fresh makeral. Just Dont have the ability to fish themselve's....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Despite going to a good cause, that's still 70 mackerel out of the water and out of the breeding pool. Years ago people fishing for trout or salmon would catch far more than they needed and kill everything they caught, and look how that worked out.

To be honest I don't know a whole lot about mackerel populations, and what kind of pressure they can sustain. It's possible that their numbers can easily handle the type of fishing where lots of people are regularly pulling out 50 plus. But it's also possible that they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Galway city lads..... any sign? thinking of dusting off the rod and buying a bit of bait.

you dont really need bait for Mackerel just some spinners or what ever

ok I'll like to go out and catch around 25 coming into the Winter. but has for now 5 or 6 a week would do me, as i eat fish every day and having to save me a few pound going to the shop to buy 5 tins a week. i can have the Mackerel for Lunch in work and coming into the Winter catch about 15 to 25 and place them into the freezer.

to keep any sport alive may it be fishing, shooting, dazzling you need to think about numbers. numbers of Rabbits, Birds, Duck, fish.

people ego's are getting in the way, look how many i hook last night boy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I agree, I apply the same to fly fishing, I will take one and catch/release the rest.

Same goes for Macks... ..

Just back from Crossheaven. hoping to get the Morning High Tide of what was meant to be 3.1m!! Yea some hope in that.. What a Waste of a Trip nothing and lost my gear to the rocks!! fished off the road,

so hoping Saturday down in East will do better..

cobh is bad aswell this year

Was in Boat strand yesturday and today. 1 nice size pollock that was it. Think i saw one other lad with two fish. Very Very poor

got a pollock on Saturday down in Yoghal the Mackerel were coming in alright but breaking away right away.

Was it like this Last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

been out the last 4 days around nohoval and have got plenty of mackerel.Heading out now again at 2 to try a bit of bottom fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Just got back,no mackerel today but plenty of pollack and doggies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

down in slade this eve , 30-40 fishing. i seen no fish landed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭george67

caught 50 on a boat just of bullock today. just let it drift down towards the island, some nice bangs 4 and 5 a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Was down in youghal for the last week in august last year... fishing off the pier (infront of the pub cant remember the name) every morning and evening and didnt catch one!! They used come in so far and break outside... Guessing the sprat didnt come on like...

Was wondering is there any major catches off the cork/ kerry coast this year, could do with a holiday:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I've been out 5 or 6 times this year already. Mostly in Courtmacsharry and once in Crosshaven. Didn't catch one Mackeral. Caught a couple of pollock alright but no Mackeral.

Can't understand why there are none to be seen.

Anybody got any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Slade yesterday 6pm -10pm saw very few caught :mad:, Wednesday evening on the high tide (about 8pm) they were giving themselves up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

last monday I caught 60 in two hours from a mark on the Rossbehy side of Dingle Bay most were good size ...Ususlly only get 'em in large quantities like that on good Southeasterly...pink plankton feathers

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

60 odd mackies on boat off Dungarvan last Monday, in 3 hours fishing, 4 rods, few small pollack and whiting as well. Skipper reported that catches have been poor this year so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭dicey1664

anyone been fishing off the pier at laoghaire? any luck

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

no luck in galway city off the shore yesterday evening - thought with the hot weather they'd be in! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Bagged a couple of mackeral off the rocks near the lifeboat station in Clogherhead two weeks ago, but went back yesterday but the amount of floating seaweed made it literally impossible to fish. Was talking to a work buddy and he heard reports that the beaches in Wicklow had the same problem all weekend :( anyone else had the same problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Nodster wrote: »
    Bagged a couple of mackeral off the rocks near the lifeboat station in Clogherhead two weeks ago, but went back yesterday but the amount of floating seaweed made it literally impossible to fish. Was talking to a work buddy and he heard reports that the beaches in Wicklow had the same problem all weekend :( anyone else had the same problem?

Yeah its been bad with the weed here in Clogher alright mainly on the beach's. Iv tried lure fishing for bass at a few spots but got clogged up and jacked after a few casts.:mad:

Advertisement