Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mackerel fishing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Hilly Billy,
    thanks for the website. I'll catch a few tomorrow and give them a go, they have to be cooked immediately I'd say as they smell like hell. Taste similar to cooked sardines I'd imagine, be nice grilled for sure.

Take two fillets off them and leave them somewhere cool in a bowl of fresh water. You've about 36 hours to eat them, no more (although fresh fresh mackerel is superb). If you've had tuna, they're quite similar - more of a 'meaty' taste than any other fish.
    The few I have in the freezer I hope to use s bait, I'm not sure how or for what yest, pike like them I know but I won't be freshwater fishing for a while. Any recommendations?

Take strips off them, *small* strips, skin intact. They'll catch other mackerel quite well but dogfish go crazy for them - to the extent that you'd really want to secure your rod. I've managed to catch plaice and dab before when I set a spiller out with them (two buoys with a row of hooks), but I'm not sure how effective it'd be normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Bizzar tip - works but....

Gut can clean them –when you land. But then rince the fillets and clean them in the Sea water. When you fry them they are not half as oily as then would be if all that’s is done at home.

(they are excellent on a bar-b-que!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

I say use white feathers! Caught plenty on white feathers but if they're there they'll take anything so maybe Im wrong, I always cut my feathers down to three unless Im deep sea in the boat and the finder says theyre below me. thats the only time for 5 or 6. Or if you're a skilled caster (I am not) and have a huge beach caster.

Had Mackerel for my tea yesterday. Two casts in the rain in Dun Laoighre yesterday, 3 Mackie on each, job done,went home barely even wet! Two in the freezer for bait, Made 4 neat butterly fillets (harder than it looks), put them meat side down on a couple of sheets of kitchen roll, (sometimes after a good rinse too much water gets into the meat and it tastes a bit watery). Put them skin down on the grill, bit of salt.bit more black pepper under the grill about 5 min. On the plate with cider vineger,Amazing! I love them fried whole or fillet but my pan is a sticky and the grill makes the pepper from a lovely light crust on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mackyboy

How long can you keep Mackerel in the freezer, if you intend to eat them.
    coz some people say not too long.

cheers

Macky Boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Had Mackerel for my tea yesterday. Two casts in the rain in Dun Laoighre yesterday, 3 Mackie on each, job done,went home barely even wet!

Whereabouts exactly were you fishing. Never fished on the east coast before, wouldn't mind giving it a shot as I'm in Dublin most of the summer.

• Advertisement

I have been a long suffering Dublin fisherman for a while,Theres no amazing spots like on the west or south east. A few spots I go to are:Dun Laoighre,Bottom fishing with mackerel strips or lug worm at the first elbow of the east pier,with the construction work and walkers make it almost impossible to cast out spinners or feathers on the east pier on the inner side but the end of the pier on the sea side you can get mackerel and pollack if you can get a good cast,can be a bit snaggy. The west pier is less walked and you can get good casts out to sea and in the harbour,thats where I was yesterday. If you can get a boat in Bulloch-brilliant,good fishing.The Geystones pier is good and also beach fishing if you walk about 20 along the railway past the driving range. Avoid at all the costs the rocks at bulloch and colliemore harbour,very snaggy and lots of seals.There is a park further past colliemore thats supposed to be a good spot but never tried it. Never treid Bray and Killiney Beach is to be good for beach casting. If you drive, hop in your car and head an hour away to Court Town in Wexford.

I would never eat defrosted Mackerel but alot of people do,they never smell or taste right.Always gut them before they go in the freezer.Id keep a fresh gutted one in the fridge for 2 days wrapped up and eat it no probs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Trying to catch mackies where they're being caught is the most headwrecking experience in the world.Howth for example,there could be up to 20 people casting away,another 100 watching and keeping up a running commentary and usually a fair few drinking and/or playing music.I'm seriously thinking about buying a small boat,heading out,catching the fish and sticking them on the bbq and inviting everybody round.Last year clogher head peir had just reopened so nobody but a few of us were fishing,caught a laod of macks..it was great.Two weeks later it looked like a lidl photoshoot,there was so many snags it caused more snags and the amount of spectators just took the good out of it.On the upside,Tandoori Mackerel is a feat fro the Gods.In an asian shop buy some tandoori mix,slit the fish both sides and rub the seasoning in,barbeque the fish ...wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Mackerel is without doubt my favourite fish to eat, I just can't get enough of them. I had a friend who worked on mussel rafts out in Kinvara Bay who used to eat mackerel for breakfast, lunch and dinner for weeks on end :)

Unfortunately I'm yet to catch a mackerel this year :/ Has anyone been catching off the Cork coast yet and if so where? I have tried Roches Point 3 times and Crosshaven once in the past month or so with no joy as of yet.

In late May I was mackerel fishing in Inis Oirr (Co. Galway) and after an hour's fishing gave the rod to a friend while I took a cigarette break, on his 2nd cast he catches 3 mackerel - Hehe sometimes the luck just goes against you.

I generally gut and clean caught mackerel at the fishing spot, within half an hour of landing. My favourite way to eat them then is making a honey & mustard mix which is brushed over the 'meat' side of the mackerel, which is opened to its two 'halves', and then putting it in the grill until cooked through. Then devour with lemon juice.

Recently I've been trying Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's method of preparation which is essentially just pat the fish dry with tea towel, season the fish with salt & pepper, leave aside for a while to take in the seasoning (eg. 15-20 minutes), then massage olive oil in the skin of the fish and barbeque (without filleting/flattening out the fish - it is just gutted with head and tail removed) with plenty of bay leaves tucked into the belly cavity - also delicious! If trying this it is very important that your barbeque's bars are hot before putting the fish on top, and it is essential that you do not move the fish once you have placed it on the grill bars until it is ready to be flipped (3-5 minutes). Massaging the olive oil into the skin of the fish (just a small bit it shouldn't be dripping) is crucial to prevent the fish sticking to the grill bars, when turning take a 'run up' along the bars with a suitable spatula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Cormdogg wrote: »
    .Always gut them before they go in the freezer..

i freeze mine whole (not gutted) soon after catching them and gut them before they are fully defrosted. Havent noticed any real difference in taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Glydeside white

Mackyboy wrote: »
    I was in Greennore yesterday, there were about 6 people fishing. I was talking to one chap, he had 3 mackerel between 1pm and 5pm (he was the only one to catch. So their slowly on their way in lads.

Anybody know how Clogherhead is doing

MB
    Yeah i was just curios about that, how is greenore doing is it any good at the minute , did you catch anything yourself?? Theres some lovely bass to be had up there too!

Plenty of Mackerel caught off the rocks at Dalkey past colliemore yesterday again not by me!(WTF!). I have yet to replace my shattered beach/pier rod and I was using a borrowed spinning rod which was too short and too flexible so my casts wern't going where I wanted them. After 4 arm straining hours and about 20 quids worth of gear tangled up somewhere I borrowed some bait and got a doggie,a dab,a pollock and a starfish!

Anyways everyone else there had a bag full of delicious macks!

Went on ebay today to restock my bare tackle box.Pretty sweet deals on feathers and swivels.

Victory!

At last Dalkey rocks yield some Mackerel for me! Using a flimsy Lidl, telescopic Carp rod! My friend using his own (jinxed) spinning rod got none!

Then on the same rod with the Mackerel as bait, I caught a fairly decent doggie, twice as big as Mondays, it was a real wrestle on the carp rod and I thouraghy enjoyed it.Even had to get it away from a hungry seal (which I first thought was shark of some sort, dont laugh) . Was using my home made rigs for the first time too. I was beaming. Had a half past midnight Mackerel grill too, Victory!

Me mate dropped his phone in a rock pool too! ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mackyboy

Yeah i was just curios about that, how is greenore doing is it any good at the minute , did you catch anything yourself?? Theres some lovely bass to be had up there too!

No I wasn't fishing myself, just went for the spin. As for now i've not been there in a couple of weeks, I must try again.

Can you tell me how to catch the bass up there, the best methods.

Cheers
    MB

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭seandugg

For mackerel would you stick a german spratt on the top or better off using a weight? what other fish would you get using feathers with the german spratt if fishin of a pier?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Spent an hour either side of high tide last night (Monday) on the back of the pier in Clogherhead and blanked. So did the other half dozen peolpe there so no sign of any macks yet.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Glydeside white

Mackyboy wrote: »
    No I wasn't fishing myself, just went for the spin. As for now i've not been there in a couple of weeks, I must try again.

Can you tell me how to catch the bass up there, the best methods.

Cheers
    MB

Well i would normally just use a spinner like this one.[URL="javascript:popupWindow('http://www.seafishingsupplies.co.uk/popup_image.php?pID=182')"]abu_toby_style_lures2.jpg[/URL]

These are brilliant for catching bass, aslo the sand eel

[URL="javascript:popupWindow('http://www.seafishingsupplies.co.uk/popup_image.php?pID=371')"]Challenger_TWM-SBL_Large.jpg[/URL]

is good too. Just cast it out reel it in and hope for the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

Good numbers of Mackerel coming from the bridge in Kinsale, Co.Cork if anyone is interested.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Went fishing out in one of the boats in Dalkey about 3 years ago with my bro. Threw out a big hook with half a mackerel on it just incase anything was interested. Then just used handlines for a few hours, nothing bit on the half mackerel but the we took in about 40 mackerel, great day. Gutted them all that day and we were set up nicely for a few weeks!

Remember another time fishing off the end of the West pier where I brought in about 6 or 7 mackerel, within about 30 seconds of of landing two at once, 4 old women came over, whipped plastic bags out of their handbags and asked if they could have some. Since I'm a nice guy I gave them a few and they were soon on their way.

:D

Always nice to share your passion for fishing by helping someone else out.:D

• Advertisement

Popanddrop wrote: »
    Always nice to share your passion for fishing by helping someone else out.:D

I caught 20 odd in Clogherhead last year and gave a load away to my elderly neighbours on both sides.Me and the GF ate about 6 of them between us on the barby and then i wished i hadnt given the rest away.It was nice though when the lady next door confided that she and her hubby had eaten the lot that day instead of freezing some as was the original plan.

Again its always nice to hear that you helped someone out by giving away some of your catch for free. Just as a general note, its a nice idea to give away a few mackerel but when doing other types of fishing only keep what you are going to eat yourself so that our fish stocks are some what preserved. Also I see that maybe must of you only use feathers and spinners to catch mackerel, does anyone go float fishing for them? Its a great way to catch a few fish and much more exciting to see the float go under and if you are at the right place at the right time you will catch just as many fish as anyone else.+ you have the added bonus of maybe picking up some different species.

Again its always nice to hear that you helped someone out by giving away some of your catch for free. Just as a general note, its a nice idea to give away a few mackerel but when doing other types of fishing only keep what you are going to eat yourself so that our fish stocks are some what preserved. Also I see that maybe must of you only use feathers and spinners to catch mackerel, does anyone go float fishing for them? Its a great way to catch a few fish and much more exciting to see the float go under and if you are at the right place at the right time you will catch just as many fish as anyone else.+ you have the added bonus of maybe picking up some different species.

I only started feathering last year,before that i'd fish a strip of squid or mackerel under a float,usually about 12 ft depth.TBH i find feathering too much like hard work,if the fish are there its a great way of landing loads but if its a slow day a float is much more fun..you wont wear yourself outr casting and retrieving and chances are it'll pay off.I agree with you,nothing gets the heart pounding faster than watching a big old jif-lemon float vanish from sight.Fishing should be about relaxing as well as catching!

True very True. I only use feathers when I am at a rock mark and I need fresh mackerel quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 prentice

Hear a lot of lads saying that when there are mackeral about you will catch them with anything if you can reach them.
    This is mostly true.. 90% of the time.

Just curious to hear if anyone else has experienced a shoal of mackeral breaking the durface, a bit like farmed salmon been fed.

When they do this, they wont take any single thing.

It may be a phenomenon you only see out in a boat. I grew up in the bows of a currach...

I have expericed this but have found it one of the most preductive times to catch mackerel, you wont catch them straight off the surface but cast a spinner into the shoal or just beyond and your gaurnteed a hook up.:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I have expericed this but have found it one of the most preductive times to catch mackerel, you wont catch them straight off the surface but cast a spinner into the shoal or just beyond and your gaurnteed a hook up.:)

I'd agree - saw this one evening last year in Clogherhead and cast as close as I could to them. Caught fish each time. Took 22 home that night, gave 6 each to two friends and kept the other 10. Me and the missus ate well that week. :)

Bit off the track, but a couple of weeks later she bought "fresh" mackerel in our local SuperValu. They tasted nothing like the ones I caught myself. We were able to compare like with like because we could still remember the taste of the fresh ones.

Fantastic, speaking of mackerel, I just finished eating one now, but not the european one, it is a Scierra/Spanish Mackerel, weighted about 3 pounds, small as the get but theres nothing like trolling for them. Just incase anyone is wondering I am in Panama for 3 months June-August on a fishing trip, fishing on my fathers charter game boat(known as Panama Fishing Safari`s). Out hear the fishing was unreal, even caught a nice dorado by sight casting to it, in just 10metres of water just 80 yards from the shore.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads,
    Going out Saturday week for the annual fishing trip, been BRUTAL last few years, caught a couple of dogs, caught a few mackerel.
    Can anyone give me a idea off Ebay link below what might help me :)

Thanks very much

http://sports.search.ebay.ie/mackerel_Fishing_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQdfspZ17QQfromZR2QQfrtsZ200QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ14104QQsaobfmtsZinsif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Anyone been out or had any success in Bullock Harbour so far?

Was planning on heading out, renting a boat and getting some mackeral for the baitbox.

Advertisement