Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mackerel fishing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

does anyone know any good spots around Dublin/Wiclow area? I've fished around Howth for years but im getting sick of the throngs of people with bags of cans in hand really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

MotteDai wrote: »
    Novice here, however can i ask what were you using? i was fishing 20 odd miles south of Achill today and not a one in sight.. then again as i said it could be just my technique.. I heard they're coming in and being caught, your pic proves that point..

I Always tend to use (6) glittered feathers and a German sprat. Have used this method for many years and always enjoyed good success even caught 7 in one go in Achill first time ever last weekend local lad fishing beside me couldn't beleave it his record was 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

catching them off helvic in dungarvan and off James fort in kinsale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

anywhere good in dublin for fishing mackerel lads?
    also, whats the best bait to use, will a simple hook and spinner do the job or should i be using bait ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

any along the hook yet

• Advertisement

L5 wrote: »
    anywhere good in dublin for fishing mackerel lads?
    also, whats the best bait to use, will a simple hook and spinner do the job or should i be using bait ?

You dont need much if you find them.When i was a kid a strip from a coke can bend around the hook or a bent spoon with a hook on the end was as good as any feathers.Just get yourself a few different types of feathers and a few 3oz weights and ull catch them hand over fist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Was in Howth today, the odd 1 being caught. Nothing major yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Any at Poolbeg lighthouse ??

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

They're in in Galway.

Not fully yet but 4-5 caught last night at Nemos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Anywhere on the east coast/south east coast any use? Not only for mackeral but for anything. Planning on a overnight camping trip to a beach on the east coast/south east coast over the weekend but dont know any decent spots. Would rather get out of Dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

My mate was out in the boat yesterday. They fished from Dalkey to Kilcoole and caught no Mackerel. They went out about four miles too thinking they were in deeper water but still caught none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

elius wrote: »
    I Always tend to use (6) glittered feathers and a German sprat. Have used this method for many years and always enjoyed good success even caught 7 in one go in Achill first time ever last weekend local lad fishing beside me couldn't beleave it his record was 6.

Glittered or Holo traces tend to work best for pollack or odder things like Red Gurnard. It's always been White/Black for pollack/coalies/codling, Red/Yellow for Wrasse and Mackerel and Dark green as a pure mackerel killer in my experience.

Strips of mackerel tend to work well for nearly anything, especially baiting spillers. Three most important things that I've been taught are

SHORTER FEATHERS CATCH MORE FISH.
    MACKEREL TEND TO NEARLY LIE UNDER THE SURFACE.
    ALWAYS FISH AT THE TURN OF TIDE

And as for records, caught 8/9 off a 6 hook jig when we were fishing over a shoal :D 6 on the hooks and the other 3 or so were wrapped tight around the line, I literally had to cut them out and one of them was basically torn in two by the catgut. Wouldn't be the first time it happened either, but thats boat fishing along a cliff - casting off a pier or something to fill a jig is unbelievably good going and some effort to even haul them up.

You can literally throw a bucket into the water in late august if they're going at it hard around west cork/kerry. Bare hooks work as well if its really sunny and the visibility is good. Use whats cheapest - rob lead off the church roof and all that like the good old days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

They're in in Galway.

Not fully yet but 4-5 caught last night at Nemos.
    Thanks for the update.

I'm thinking of heading out over the weekend, was there any other Mackerel caught during the week do you know?

I checked the weather for the weekend and it's promised good.

I reckon I'll head out over the weekend for a gander anyway, were they breaking the water when you were out in Nemo's?

*Runs to check tide times!* :pac:

Anywhere on the east coast/south east coast any use? Not only for mackeral but for anything. Planning on a overnight camping trip to a beach on the east coast/south east coast over the weekend but dont know any decent spots. Would rather get out of Dublin...
    IF your heading far enough south there been caught off the light house in ballincourty on the left hand side of dungarvan bay and helvic head on the right hand side of dungarvan bay.bass been caught from the ballincourty light house back in to ballincourty pier .best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Out in Clogher Head off the rocks yesterday for 3 hours, not a scratch. had two rods, feathers and a German sprat. Boats were doing likewise off the point from me.

Thought maybe the sun was too strong and that the fish were deep but nothing doing. did see three large fish in the water do a tour of my rock but I was in mid flight with the rod!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Glittered or Holo traces tend to work best for pollack or odder things like Red Gurnard. It's always been White/Black for pollack/coalies/codling, Red/Yellow for Wrasse and Mackerel and Dark green as a pure mackerel killer in my experience.

Strips of mackerel tend to work well for nearly anything, especially baiting spillers. Three most important things that I've been taught are

SHORTER FEATHERS CATCH MORE FISH.
    MACKEREL TEND TO NEARLY LIE UNDER THE SURFACE.
    ALWAYS FISH AT THE TURN OF TIDE

And as for records, caught 8/9 off a 6 hook jig when we were fishing over a shoal :D 6 on the hooks and the other 3 or so were wrapped tight around the line, I literally had to cut them out and one of them was basically torn in two by the catgut. Wouldn't be the first time it happened either, but thats boat fishing along a cliff - casting off a pier or something to fill a jig is unbelievably good going and some effort to even haul them up.

You can literally throw a bucket into the water in late august if they're going at it hard around west cork/kerry. Bare hooks work as well if its really sunny and the visibility is good. Use whats cheapest - rob lead off the church roof and all that like the good old days :D

Ill be in achill for a week in august so will give your tips a try. I just always stuck to the same glitters and why upset a good think lol. Mind you i have caught my fare share of pollock using glitters. Another good weight is a spark plug. As for bare hooks i fished with them in achill after my glitters had been stripped and they still went for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Nothing to be had in dunmore east tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mullyman17

been fishing in dun laoghaire a few times in the last few weeks and caught nothin.
    not just me i was talkin to a few people out there and they got nothin either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

mullyman17 wrote: »
    been fishing in dun laoghaire a few times in the last few weeks and caught nothin.
    not just me i was talkin to a few people out there and they got nothin either

Was out in Dun Laoghaire today and all i got were a few tiny sole...was using rag

• Registered Users Posts: 5 St Padraig

I caught five last Saturday, off Black head - Keep trying John85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

started catching off clogherhead monday

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Can anyone tell me where is good spot to fish in South wicklow and Wexford. Would courttown harbour be any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Mackerel caught off Down Patrick head (mayo) today not an awful lot though. A local man told me he fishes on the turn of the tide but hadn't any success while we were there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Any word on dunlaoighre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mitchy8

Hi guys, any word yet from CLogherhead for mackerel and does anyone know best time tide-wise to try or does it matter with a deep pier like in Clogherhead?

Thanks

Mitchy8 wrote: »
    Hi guys, any word yet from CLogherhead for mackerel and does anyone know best time tide-wise to try or does it matter with a deep pier like in Clogherhead?

Thanks

The mackeral are in alright, catching since last week. Any tide on any bit of the pier will catch them. Does'nt matter if the tide is in, out, going out or coming in you'l always catch them (if they are there!). The only time you wont catch them is when the sea is rough and the water is mucky.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mitchy8

Great stuff, thanks for your reply. will give it a try Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 fergalmejergal

Anyone been fishing Dun Laoghaire lately ?

Mitchy8 wrote: »
    Great stuff, thanks for your reply. will give it a try Friday.

Id keep away from clogherhead if your looking to go fishing the weekend, the prawn festival is starting friday and is finishing sunday, its gona be one big party down at the pier!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Out off kinsale last saturday..four mackerell for three hours with four rods..weather was bloody appaling and we had to head back early.

Advertisement