Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mackerel fishing

Options
  • 13-04-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

will people leave comments when they start catching mackerel mainly around the south east region of the country other parts is well.i love goin out and spending a few hours out on the rocks enjoying the sport.all feedback appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I may be wrong but isn't it a bit early for mackerel fishing?

i'd say about June/July at least?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Yes. You need to wait for the summer hols. Then they will arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hedgepig

I've caught mackerel from the shore in April before, but it is too cold this year so give it another couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

caught macks early las yr but as u say 2 cold at mo. let u no wen i catch:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

there have been the odd mackerel caught around the coast already, there are a few places where they seem to be resident i.e. killybegs harbour and anywhere where there is deep water close to the shore you will catch them all year round;)

just be sure to tell the makky bashers that they will appear late summer :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Caught them late april last year,mind you the weather had been sunny for several weeks.If there's a bad wind blowing its a waste of time,too much sand in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Report in the Irish Times fishing column on Monday (21st April) that macks are being caught offshore near Dun Laoghaire & at the Kish Bank.

macks been caught from dun laoghaire peirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

If your in the south east it might be worth keeping an eye on the M5 buoy, I think sea temps between 11-14 C are the ones watch for.M5 Data

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

nothing from howth today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

they're only being caught in boats in any number so far. the odd few from the shore/rocks. give it a month or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Caught one off the beech in bertragh in Westport and caught about 100 between 5 of us offshore on the boat,clewbay

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

macnas wrote: »
    If your in the south east it might be worth keeping an eye on the M5 buoy, I think sea temps between 11-14 C are the ones watch for.M5 Data

For water temps - you can check the inshore temps at the harbour nearest you here (along with other info such as tide heights, etc.).

Any news today?I was gonna venture up to clogher head or howth but didnt go in the end,i reckon the conditions today were perfect.

In Dunlaoire yesterday on the east pier fishing seaward.There was a shoal of mackie at the end.Just short of my casting distance,But a fellah I know who was beside managed one!There were two boats following the shoal and I could see them taking in 4 - 6 at a time.So they are out there. I wont be fishing off the sea side of the pier agin,I lost my tackle on my first couple casts, which annoyed me too much,too snaggy and too slippy.i thought I had a catch on my first cast only to reel it in and find that the polish chap beside had caught a pollack and I caught his line! I met a chap that had seen lads catch a load off the rocks at Bulloch Harbour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

I'm heading out to the rocks in Dalkey in about an hour to try my luck. I'll post any info later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Cormdogg wrote: »
    .... on the east pier fishing seaward.There was a shoal of mackie at the end......

That's good news. The mild spell is having it's effect on the fish. Summer fishing is almost here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 onesocks

what kind of baits do people use for mackerel?
    im starting to take up fishing again, last time was 10 years ago and all the lines and baits etc were done by my grandad and dad, i just stood and cast and ate wherthers originals :)

onesocks wrote: »
    what kind of baits do people use for mackerel?
    im starting to take up fishing again, last time was 10 years ago and all the lines and baits etc were done by my grandad and dad, i just stood and cast and ate wherthers originals :)

If you're fishing with bait you can use mackerel strips,squid strips or prawns.Fish the bait under a sliding float approx 12 feet in depth.If you dont want to use bait most people will use feathers,these are multi-hook lures that you cast out and then retrieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jack_Flash

Would you guys recommend spinners for mackerel? If so what type? I'm just getting into fishing now.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Jack_Flash wrote: »
    Would you guys recommend spinners for mackerel? If so what type? I'm just getting into fishing now.

You can use spinners - any spinners will do as long as you can get it out to where the fish are.

Start with a big spoon type spinner if you want.

You will probably get better results using feathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

onesocks
    i've posted pics of some of the rigs used for mackeral fishing, my personal favourite is the rig in the third pic (went out to bullock about 2 years ago and it was a slaughter using this rig) T.B.H. got sick and tired of reeling in buckets loads of mackeral ,some of these dont have any names but i'm sure some of the regulars here would be able to give you more info about these rigs.
    the first pic of a rig called RED HOKKAI
    and the last pic is by sea predator and it's called a mackarel paternoster.
    hope this is of some help

If you can get to them Mackeral will take anything,You often hear of them aking a bare hook. Years ago after forgetting my feathers me and my mate sat down for half an hour and made a few Macgyver jobs out of crisp packets and they worked a treat. You dont even have to get fancy hokkais which are great if you want but, Colored or in my opinion white feathers will are the best. Spinners will do the job if they're weighty enough but a full brace of mackie is always satisfying. My biggest tip would be that most feather rigs come in 5 or 6hook, Try and get 3hook or cut the extra's off.It makes for much easier casting,less tangle/snags and easier especially off piers when there's other folk about. Im going to go off the rocks in Dalkey this evening. There were plenty catching them on Sunday.

No Mackie for me yesterday off the rocks at Bulloch,One pollock.Moved to Colliemore good few Mackie caught but again not my me! Anyone any tips for reducing snags by any chance. Also the mess left by other people (I wouldnt call them anglers) at Colliemore was an absolute disgrace. A group of a little snooty locals voiced their opinions to me as I was getting into my car, I could only agree with them,because it was filthy. I take everything home with me,down to the smallest length of line. Im sick of the sight of rig wrappers and disgaurded line everywhere I go to fish, no bins is no excuse, How can anyone be there and enjoy the outdoors and the sport in catching fish a wild creature have so little respect for the environment? Thats the type of carry on that will lead to a ban because if its one thing the Dalkey dwellers know its how to get things done by the local govt. Any way thats the rant over,the good news: The Macks are in Town!

was out in howyh 2day and caught 10 macks in bout an hr, few other ppl were catching but nothing in gr8 numbers:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Cormdogg wrote: »
    ...Years ago after forgetting my feathers me and my mate sat down for half an hour and made a few Macgyver jobs out of crisp packets and they worked a treat...

ha! that's gas - meself and me dad did the same thing with some Tayto packets off the boat a couple of years back after realising we'd only one set of shabby looking feathers on board.

I was fishing off Roches Point in Cork today - no mackerel there just yet (caught nothing but a couple of tiny pollack). I spoke to a guy living there and he tells me that there hadn't been any big mackerel catches there just yet..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Blanked in Clogherhead on Friday evening. Fished from the rocks over the wall of the pier for two hours 7 - 9pm using both feathers and a spinner (not at the same time:)).

Didn't see anyone else catch anything either.

was out in howyh 2day and caught 10 macks in bout an hr, few other ppl were catching but nothing in gr8 numbers:D:D:D

From the pier?On feathers?

Degsy wrote: »
    From the pier?On feathers?

from balscadden wit feathers, tlkin 2 a lad 2day he said howth was hoppin wit macks on fri:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

plenty mackeral being caught here in west waterford the last two weeks, im catching mine in helvick head off the pier, had some fro breakfast, yummo!

Advertisement