Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mackerel fishing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

Are they gone? I missed all of September and tried my luck yesterday off dalkey rocks but no joy. I even brought a plastic bag!! The shame of bringing it back.
    I accept I'm a poxy fisherman but can someone please save me from hypothermia and confirm that the seas are in fact empty of the only fish in my league?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

I got one mackerel bottom fishing at Dalkey Rocks last wednesday, Nolans Park or something they call it but the young lads that were there before me caught about 9 or 10. So they are still there. I have to go in the evening afterwork and the tide has been almost all the way out,then you've only got about 2 hours of light. Last Saturday of the West pier in DL people were getting them in dribs and drabs all day then plenty from 6.30 onwards. Going out this Wednesday I was think of trying from off 40 ft or go further in Dalkey as far as Sorrento point. If the mackerel arn't there on anygiven day or spot theres always planty of other fish to be had. Try and pick up as fresh a mackerel as you can from the fish mongers and bring it with you, bait up a couple of small bits on a pair of hooks and jus wiat,Something will fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevo74

yeah - the macks are still there alright. was there last friday & yesterday. Only caught one each day but saw a few being caught. Also picked up a couple of whiting and a tiny codling on mack strips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

I had a nightmare at Colliemore last night,No fish and lots of lost gear. When I got there I set up two rods with bait.They but got securely snagged at the same time and to add insult to injury the water erupted with Mackerel just infront of me,right up to the harbour wall,1000's of them. By the time I had the line cut on one rod an attached my weights and feathers they were gone! 2 fellahs came down later and had said that the day before (sunny day) they were being caught in the 100's at Dalkey rocksw,Boo-urns!

I remembered why I had vowed to never to fish off Colliemore again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Was walking on the pier (the one closest to where the baths used to be..) in Dun Laoghaire yesterday and saw 3 lads taking in a heap of mackerel at the end of the pier. Must have seen them catch about 10 mackerel in the space of 10 mins that I was there, around 3pm. So it seems there is still quite a few of them about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

lambay island is heaving at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

anyone know if any are still being caught round wexford??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cdsa2008

leonh74 wrote: »
    will people leave comments when they start catching mackerel mainly around the south east region of the country other parts is well.i love goin out and spending a few hours out on the rocks enjoying the sport.all feedback appreciated
    keep a eye on www.freewebs.com/cdsa2009 good fishing club

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

They have arrived at Dalkey. Hopefully they move a bit further North in the next week or so. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

How much effort and money would I need to put in in terms of getting a personal rig together to smoke or preserve mackerel?

More to the point, how long would they last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

I was down on dollymount as tide arrived in last week and there were mackeral (i think) jumping out of the water very close to the wooden bridge and bull island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

I was down on dollymount as tide arrived in last week and there were mackeral (i think) jumping out of the water very close to the wooden bridge and bull island.

They're usually quite close to the surface, but jumping out? Maybe it was a shoal of sprat or mullet feeding close to the surface? If it was near a sewage pipe or outlet it was almost certainly mullet as mackerel can be picky enough about water quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Pretty sure they werent mackerell..i'm from the area and i've never heard of a mackie being caught or even seen from the wooden bridge..most likely mullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

+1 on Mullet. Seen them there quite a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 St Padraig

Can Mackerel be caught on a rainy day, or do they not feed in these conditions?

Today for example, early June, Co Clare, and off a dock or pier.

Water temp is around 12 to 13c

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Anybody around Clare care to have a look for me.Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

yes they can be caught whenever they're in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

In Achill the weekend. Got 75 on Friday between two of us Great fishing. Sat was heading for the same only we pulled the plug at 30 as we didn't fancy filleting 75 makeral again though i through back 30 odd myself. Sunday got 40 and yesturday got 40 odd.

Pic. Note i was not drinking during the fishing only after wards as i was not driving i decided to have a cold one. ;)

ojh4dt.jpg

Well done elius, good fishing. Nice to see some Mack about, plenty coming off the west coast.

shblob wrote: »
    Well done elius, good fishing. Nice to see some Mack about, plenty coming off the west coast.

Thanks found the best time was an hour after high tide...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

elius wrote: »
    Thanks found the best time was an hour after high tide...

Where abouts on the island were you fishing off?

Will be heading to Achill in a week or two in Dugort.

Off the rocks at purteen harbour. Was having good success you can park up on the pier and walk over the hill to the rocks. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

elius wrote: »
    Off the rocks at purteen harbour. Was having good success you can park up on the pier and walk over the hill to the rocks. best of luck

Novice here, however can i ask what were you using? i was fishing 20 odd miles south of Achill today and not a one in sight.. then again as i said it could be just my technique.. I heard they're coming in and being caught, your pic proves that point..

ANY feathers. Try 5 or 6 on one line. Either a heavy perk, or 3oz lead at the end of the rig.

Oh, and let it sink, and try different depths too.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Will try and get a few feathers this weekend, might retry then sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Anywhere near Dublin worth trying at the moment?

Edit: I'm a novice who hasn't fished since he was a kid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Im in Swords all this week so il be trying a few places myself and the Granda used to fish. I do it every year. Kept it going after he died. Il let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Dusty... delete some of your PMs. I can't send you one til you clear up some space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Aoboa send me a pm and I will tell you a spot I used catch loads a few years ago. Im sure its still good:)

Advertisement