Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mackerel fishing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

anyone know of good spots in sligo to fish for mackerel?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Popanddrop wrote: »
    I am in Panama for 3 months June-August on a fishing trip, fishing on my fathers charter game boat(known as Panama Fishing Safari`s). Out hear the fishing was unreal, even caught a nice dorado by sight casting to it, in just 10metres of water just 80 yards from the shore.

Jammy git................................

There's no smiley face for jealousy but if there was............

The only consolation is you're missing all the fantastic weather we're having. 25 degress every day, clear blue skies, gentle breezes. it only rains between 2.30am and 5.00am - just enough to water the lawns and keep the rivers topped up. :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

yop wrote: »
    Lads,
    Going out Saturday week for the annual fishing trip, been BRUTAL last few years, caught a couple of dogs, caught a few mackerel.
    Can anyone give me a idea off Ebay link below what might help me :)

Thanks very much

http://sports.search.ebay.ie/mackerel_Fishing_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQdfspZ17QQfromZR2QQfrtsZ200QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ14104QQsaobfmtsZinsif

White 3 hook feathers should do ya,you really dont need anything fancy or expensive.Chances are you'll lose a few too so keep em cheap i reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

Jammy git................................

There's no smiley face for jealousy but if there was............

The only consolation is you're missing all the fantastic weather we're having. 25 degress every day, clear blue skies, gentle breezes. it only rains between 2.30am and 5.00am - just enough to water the lawns and keep the rivers topped up. :D:D
    Not what I have been hearing, its all rain in Ireland, but here in Panama its 31 degrees on average and it rains for 1 hour a day due to the tropical climate.:D The word Panama means abundance of fish.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

anyone know any good spots for mackeral in nw donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

whats the story like for catching mackeral in newquay/blackhead and galway at the mo?

Has anyone tried catching bass in Oranmore????

ta

j

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

jasonh wrote: »
    whats the story like for catching mackeral in newquay/blackhead and galway at the mo?

Has anyone tried catching bass in Oranmore????

ta

j
    loads of mack north clare at the moment.. bass in oranmore... good luck:eek:

you'll find them further west alright ballyvaughan has a small population, newtownlynch has an even smaller population of them... they were netted to near obliteration in the bay up until a few years ago, i wouldnt be supprised if its still going on in the bay to be honest

was fishing today in clogherhead...no mackerel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 HeatLoad

No mackerel anywhere around Cork unless you go after them in a boat. The blue pool in Clare swarming with them as usual but dangerous place to fish (too many lifes lost the council dynamited the cliff to try to stop people going down - so now they go down on ropes). Very dangerous if you don't know it. A lot of eastern europeans being swept off there, just not used to the sea I suppose. Dunlickey a bit safer - just. Mullaghmore in Sligo good at the moment too. I can't remember a worse year for mackerel - global warming or what?

HeatLoad wrote: »
    I can't remember a worse year for mackerel - global warming or what?

No,its just the poxy weather we've been having.they may be inshore but they wont bite if the water's murkey because they hunt by sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Degsy wrote: »
    No,its just the poxy weather we've been having.they may be inshore but they wont bite if the water's murkey because they hunt by sight.
    anyting mackerel in slade or the hook at the min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I was out around Fanore, Co. Clare yesterday and nothing being caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

Gents - How do I attach feathers?

I used to use heavy spinners as a kid for casting off rocks and just found the old gear yesterday. Took it to Bulloch Harbour rocks and caught a mackeral so I'm motivated to start fishing there regularly enough (never realised there was anywhere in Dublin). So far, I've picked up from this thread:

1) Fish around high tide
    2) Try and avoid the seals
    3) Cast as far out as possible
    4) Use cheap feathers (3)

How do I attach these feathers and how do I use them? I.e. do I attach a weight at the end of the line for casting? If so, do I cast out and reel in or let it sit with the feathers streaming in the water above the weight? How far below the surface/above the seabed am I aiming to have the feathers?

All input much appreciated... I remember my dad seemed to know everything about fishing and I'd like to look at least semi-competent to my kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Simple easy feather fishing, tie a clip on swivel or regular sviver to the end of your main line,attach one end of your feathers to the swivel,stick another swivel at the end of your feathers and then a 3 to 5 pound weight at the end. I like a four. cast out as far as you can then reel in jerking in the line as it goes tought. Fish supper,

Tip as you can see your tackle coming into you at the rocks lift your rod up at almost a 70 degree angle and increase your reel in speed to avoid tangles,

Got a few Mackerel and a Pollock at Poolbeg lighthouse yesterday, I usually fish off the rocks in Dalkey myslef but I find the rocks at Bulloch EXTREMELY snaggy, Venture further up to Colliemore Harbour and even better further on agin theres a park where you can walk out to the rocks,great snag free fishing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

@gabigeist

rigging up feathers is very simple - when you buy feathers they often come 6 on a line, and at either end there is a loop tied into the line, something like this:

O---|--|--|--|--|--|---O

(where the vertical lines are the feathers coming off the main line, and the O's are the loops at either end). You simply put your weight (I'd recommend a 3oz. lead) on one end, you can do this without untieing the loop, and then attach the other end to your mainline, via a swivel & clip thingy.

As 6 feathers on one line is quite a lot, I generally cut these things in half to make 2 rigs that then look like this:
    O---|--|--|--

Again, you just attach the weight to one end (eg. the remaining loop), and tie the other end to your swivel & clip, although you have less line to work with for making this knot/loop. If you are fishing in snaggy areas though you'll only be half as mad when you lose a 3 feather rig than if you had lost a 6 feather rig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

Cheers Cormdogg and jargha!
    If I fill the superquinn bag with Mackeral I'll be sure to post. And if not then I'll be sure to bag some of the rubbish at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

I like your style jArgHA!

I'm also a true believer in the turn a 6 feather rig into 2x3 feather rig.Save your sixers for when you have a fish finder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Cormdogg wrote: »
    I like your style jArgHA!

I'm also a true believer in the turn a 6 feather rig into 2x3 feather rig.Save your sixers for when you have a fish finder!

If you're 'sport' fishing fine, but if you're fishing for your dinner then leave the 6 on, even if you're casting. If you hook one you're far more likely to snag a 2nd one with 6 hooks than with 3 when you're reeling it back through the shoal.

Also, single greatest tip when using feathers...

CUT THE FEATHERS IN HALF.

Smaller feathers catch both a bigger variety of fish and, strangely enough, bigger fish overall*

*imo of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Pirbright

Anyone catching any mackerel from High Rock, Portmarnock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

down in slade yesterday eve never seen any thing like it there was thousands landed i had about 80 in a hour brought home 50 ..3 for breakfast mmmmm

• Advertisement

where is slade?
    still holding out for my first mackerel...

adonis wrote: »
    where is slade?
    still holding out for my first mackerel...

Wexford i think

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Slade is on the hookhead, just head for hook head lighthouse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

Mackeral were almost jumping into the buckets at Cahore on Sat evening. the guys were catching 4 at a go almost every cast, Saw 2 guys fill 2 buckets to brim in less than 30 min.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Ockham

Anybody have any suggestions for mackerel in the Galway City / Salthill area?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

any mackeral round slade/carnsore point this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

Ockham wrote: »
    Anybody have any suggestions for mackerel in the Galway City / Salthill area?

Anywhere along the prom at high tide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Caught 22 macks on Saturday out in a boat where Kinvara Bay meets Galway Bay. The mackerel were caught between 6 & 7pm (about an hour after high tide). Yum mackerel for dinner for a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

ant mackeral round rossdunestown or carnsore in wexford last couple of days???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Thousands landing the whole stretch of nimmos pier last night. It's been ridiculous for the last few days. Anyone got a spare freezer?!

Advertisement