Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

UrbanSea wrote: »
    This is the worst I've heard in a long time. Apparently the staff in Davis' don't get the tips. Anyone else hear that

err no, haven't heard that. But I have heard of it before elsewhere......in this case possibly from a disgruntled new employee? not yet earned full employee status, or not currently doing a job that earns them tips?

I would be very surprised if this was the case, buy u never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

This is the worst I've heard in a long time. Apparently the staff in Davis' don't get the tips. Anyone else hear that

I worked there for over a year, for a restaurant of its size and considering I worked weekends I'd be lucky to get €5 in tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Urban sea, I think it's incredible that a mod. would post something like that! Whats the evidence?
    I have no affiliation to the restaurant involved, (just live in north sligo) but bloody hell that's an accusation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

and false thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Went to Harry's gastro pub in Rosses Point for a bit of grub yesterday evenin and thought the food was very nice. A wee bit expensive for what ya get i would say but definitely a nice place to go for some casual dining and would eat there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not a restaraunt but others have mentioned take aways. Had been sceptical of a leaflet for Hello Pizza, 20" pizza for €15.
    Ordered it this evening and I have to say, it was an incredible pizza. Better than Dominos and Papa johns in my opinion. Also received a free 1.5ltr bottle of coke too.

It was the spelling and grammar errors that made me sceptical, but have heard a lot of good about them. Think they have had a few comments on the chipper thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

I'm fairly sure the tips are shared among everyone - kitchen staff etc. rather than just those serving. At least that used to be the case when I knew of someone working there.

thebuzz wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the tips are shared among everyone - kitchen staff etc. rather than just those serving. At least that used to be the case when I knew of someone working there.

Yes that's true, but considering the volume of people that eat there I was always surprised at how low the tips were when they were shared out. I don't know what the story is now as that was 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maryagneslyons

Had 16 people (8-55+++++)for meal in Panda restaurant.lovely staff,lovely food,great variety. & choice.would highly recommend for night out.good value for money.

Had 16 people (8-55+++++)for meal in Panda restaurant.lovely staff,lovely food,great variety. & choice.would highly recommend for night out.good value for money.

You joined just to promote rave about Panda restaurant? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

You joined just to promote rave about Panda restaurant? :rolleyes:

In their defence I was there Friday evening and thought it was fantastic. Great service and preferred the food to the similar offer in china city.

Also going to Tra Ban in the next few days, rates well on trip advisor. Anyone been and any comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I love Panda too, much, much nicer than China City.

To answer my own previous question, the food in Tra Ban was excellent. A few of us went in to try the early bird menu. The food was amazing and €23 for 3 courses is great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Anyone been into the Glasshouse lately? Main course and a pint or glass of wine for 14 euro. Had a nice meal

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

To answer my own previous question, the food in Tra Ban was excellent. A few of us went in to try the early bird menu. The food was amazing and €23 for 3 courses is great value.
    That's good to hear, because its sister restaurant in Sligo Town is poor. I was there new years eve for my second visit and as was the case on my first visit I found the food poor and the service terrible. The only saving grace was the maître de (spelling??) who was very nice. The other waitresses would turn milk sour. No manners and an attitude of not wanting to be there. The fish cake starter had one fish cake that was like something reheated from frozen and had no flavour, the other was loaded with chilli and that's all it tasted of (probably silly of me to order fish given the weather we are having). The main course consisted of steak on a bed of chorizo mash. The steak was dry and tough and there was definitely not enough mash. No vegetables either (maybe you have to order these separately?)
    Poor, poor fair and terribly overpriced. You would get pub grub better for a portion of the price. Will not be going back again.

conavitzky wrote: »
    That's good to hear, because its sister restaurant in Sligo Town is poor. I was there new years eve for my second visit and as was the case on my first visit I found the food poor and the service terrible. The only saving grace was the maître de (spelling??) who was very nice. The other waitresses would turn milk sour. No manners and an attitude of not wanting to be there. The fish cake starter had one fish cake that was like something reheated from frozen and had no flavour, the other was loaded with chilli and that's all it tasted of (probably silly of me to order fish given the weather we are having). The main course consisted of steak on a bed of chorizo mash. The steak was dry and tough and there was definitely not enough mash. No vegetables either (maybe you have to order these separately?)
    Poor, poor fair and terribly overpriced. You would get pub grub better for a portion of the price. Will not be going back again.

Is that Eala Ban? I had heard it was probably to be avoided by soneone with a similar experience. Tra Ban was a polar opposite. Staff were friendly and helpful, food was delicious and the menu was a bargain.

I went with tripadvisor on going to Tra Ban. Was thinking of going to Montemarte for the better halts birthday, again has anyone been as it rates highly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Is that Eala Ban? I had heard it was probably to be avoided by soneone with a similar experience. Tra Ban was a polar opposite. Staff were friendly and helpful, food was delicious and the menu was a bargain.

I went with tripadvisor on going to Tra Ban. Was thinking of going to Montemarte for the better halts birthday, again has anyone been as it rates highly?

The food in Montemarte is really nice but you'll be a long time in there as the courses are served very slowly. If ya don't mind that i'd say go for it but for me i find it too slow.

On Eala Bhan, myself and my girlfriend both didn't like it on our first visit. We thought the food and service was pretty poor but have been back a few times since and we really like it and think the opposite now actually. There's good value there for lunch and the early bird is very good value.

conavitzky wrote: »

Oh dear, I bought someone a voucher there for Christmas. I've been there a couple of times myself and found the service excellent, though the vegetarian main lacking in flavour (risotto). I hope they step things up in 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Another +1 for Tra but -4 for Eala.
    Its hard to believe its the same crowd.
    The waitresses in Eala Ban are just horrible, arrogant and frankly useless. Food is pompous pretentious crap.
    Complete opposite out in Strandhill.
    Amazing.

I spoke badly earlier in this thread about Gulliver's. Was stuck for somewhere to eat on Saturday and against my initial thoughts ended up there. I'll have to say the food is much improved as well as the service. The improvements to the layout help greatly as you're less likely to be sitting with the next table.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Was in Rugantino for a quick bite yesterday evening. Delicious!

Was in Rugantino for a quick bite yesterday evening. Delicious!

Is that the Italian place in Rockwood, where four star used to be located?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is that the Italian place in Rockwood, where four star used to be located?
    Yep, was in there for lunch last week.. and thought it was fantastic too!

Real authentic fresh italian food.. delicious!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

johnire wrote: »
    I've never been in it but I thought the menu was very pricey.

A main, side, dessert and a massive coffee for less than €20? Couldn't complain about that and every scrap was delish, I practically licked the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've never been in it but I thought the menu was very pricey.
    Their lunch special for €8.95 with a complimentary drink.. nothing pricey about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Recently I had a fabulous 3 course meal in Rome in what's considered an expensive area and it was less than €40 for two people!!This included coffees and a bottle of wine!!

Where in Rome exactly? All i could find there was rotten food and overpriced except Trastevere but still bit expensive.

loki7777 wrote: »
    Where in Rome exactly? All i could find there was rotten food and overpriced except Trastevere but still bit expensive.

I've eaten well in Rome too, but of course it is hardly comparable in Sligo in size, you'd be bound to find good value if you looked hard enough, bit of an out of the way comparison, sounds like good value to me - looking forward to trying it out!

Okay, anybody in this thread not been to Rome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Where is Rome? Is that the new place up at the retail park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slideways

What I would like to know is what have the Romans ever done for us?

Advertisement