Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

I'm the same, been to source at least 5 times now. Dinner is appalling value, you are better off with their tapas menu in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭scarlet43

I can assure you I have nothing to do with restaurants in Sligo (own or work) apart from enjoying the odd meal in them. Funny that you can't give an honest opinion without being accused of having an hidden agenda !! The last time I was in there as part of a group (and believe me I wouldn't have gone only someone else had booked it already) we waited approx 20 mins to be given menus. Then I had to ask for bread for the table - eventually the server delivered a sideplate of 3 pieces of bread for the entire table - no butter, no knifes, nothing and seemed quite surprised when I had to ask again. The food was reasonably ok. The coffee is appalling in there, so I would skip it big time. It's a pity cos it's lovely to chill at the end of the night with a good cuppa.

I wish I had seen the menu you have posted - perhaps then I would have been impressed. On three separate occasions I've gone in for lunch and both myself and the people with me decided, upon reading the lunch menu, to get up and leave as nothing appealed. I've given up on the place at this stage.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    I could understand you giving out about the service, maybe you had bad service there, but the menu is good, anyone here can log on and see that it's creative, seasonal and all locally sourced. Do you have some sort of gripe with them or do you own or work for the competition?

@ fillefatale... Source is good for groups, I took a group of eight last time I was there, we all went for the early bird, worked out very reasonable. Staff were attentive, food was very good, menu was varied and interesting. Here's the early bird menu @ €20, as you can see it's far from not great.
    Soup of The Day Served With Source Homemade Bread
    Source Handmade Vegetable Ravioli, Vegetable Cream.
    Caramelized Goats Cheese Salad, Mixed Leaves, Walnuts.
    Carpaccio Of Roast Beef, Rocket, Parmesan, Mustard Vinaigrette.

Braised Irish Beef, Mashed Potato, Red Wine Sauce.
    Roast Irish Chicken, Crunchy Potatoes, Vegetables.
    Pan Fried Lemon Sole, Baked Potatoes, Garlic & Almonds.
    Italian Vegetable Lasagne, Source Salad.

Trio Of Desserts.

Tea or Coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Have to agree about source been there a fine times but have stopped going lately as the customer service is really bad. My sister was given the wrong order once and the waitress stood and argued with her that that was what she had ordered couldn't believe it. I think it was the manager, came over and said was she sure she had ordered something else that his waitress had written down the order so couldn't have got it wrong, no apology from anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

scarlet43 wrote: »
    Funny that you can't give an honest opinion without being accused of having an hidden agenda

In fairness, four posts on Boards.ie, one praising the pants of a local restaurant and two absolutely slating it's competition with a passion!
    I wish I had seen the menu you have posted

There's always a decent early bird there.
    On three separate occasions I've gone in for lunch and both myself and the people with me decided, upon reading the lunch menu, to get up and leave as nothing appealed.

You went there, read the menu on three occasions and got up and left without trying the food? I think you have some sort of a grudge. I was talking to a local business owner recently and seemingly there's a lot of local begrudgery when it comes to local businesses like the Source doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Been to source. Its nothing special to be honest, very slow service and there was only max of 12 people in there. Haven't gone back and probably won't. The food wasn't anything to shout about either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Anyone ever eaten in Classic India? The best Indian I have ever eaten, bar none.

Yes - there's definitely a plot afoot !!! I posted 4 times on boards - one about a breastfeeding support group, one praising a small coffee shop in sligo town and two about a large restaurant in Sligo town (one of which was a reply to you) - I can see the hidden conspiracy theory there alright !!
    When Source opened first I ate there plenty of times and I did enjoy it - in the last year or two however, it's gone downhill, hence my negative points. I obviously am not the only one to feel this way based on the other posts in this thread as well. Not a grudge, believe me, just an honest opinion based on actual events !
    In fairness, four posts on Boards.ie, one praising the pants of a local restaurant and two absolutely slating it's competition with a passion!

There's always a decent early bird there.

You went there, read the menu on three occasions and got up and left without trying the food? I think you have some sort of a grudge. I was talking to a local business owner recently and seemingly there's a lot of local begrudgery when it comes to local businesses like the Source doing well.

Where in Sligo are they ? Do they deliver ?
    UrbanSea wrote: »
    Anyone ever eaten in Classic India? The best Indian I have ever eaten, bar none.

Who owns The Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Where in Sligo are they ? Do they deliver ?

They're in Market Street, don't think they have a delivery service as anytime I was eating there, there was a huge amount of people coming in for takeaways. It is a lovely restaurant and great service especially in comparison to Paprika where the only two times I was there, I was in situ for nearly two and a half hours (their waiter fecked off to do a home delivery :rolleyes:).

• Advertisement

Sorry - don't know.
    Who owns The Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Who owns The Source?

It's run by the same people who have Hargadons. Can't remember the owners name off hand (damn you tasty Thursday night Carslbergs), will edit when brain kicks back into gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Plazaman wrote: »
    They're in Market Street, don't think they have a delivery service as anytime I was eating there, there was a huge amount of people coming in for takeaways. It is a lovely restaurant and great service especially in comparison to Paprika where the only two times I was there, I was in situ for nearly two and a half hours (their waiter fecked off to do a home delivery :rolleyes:).

They do deliver, they use Sligo Home Deliveries, do a lot of takeaways too though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

it's interesting reading comments here, went to Gullivers yesterday, we thought the service and food were excellent. hopefully they are learning from experience and trying to get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Went for a meal last night in Montmarte. It was only our second time being there. The food is lovely but the slow service is ridiculous.
    My girlfriend had a table booked for 7 and we didn't get seated til 7.40 and weren't out of there til 10.05.
    I'm done with the place now-they're under-staffed and they over-book.
    The first time we were there they were slow but last night took the biscuit.
    Its a pity because i have no complaints about the food there. Never feel comfortable there either-the vibe is crap!
    End of rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Went for a meal today in a place I genuinely wouldn't have thought about for years. Molly Fultons on the old Dublin road.
    The food and service were excellent and the prices were very good. They probably suffer for not being closer to town but every table was full and I can see why. Would definitely recommend it and will hopefully be out next weekend again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree totally with you.
    I actually think you are being kind in your comments!
    I have been there a couple of times. The food is average,the service dire,the atmosphere unfriendly and the staff rude and arrogant.

mewe wrote: »
    Went for a meal last night in Montmarte. It was only our second time being there. The food is lovely but the slow service is ridiculous.
    My girlfriend had a table booked for 7 and we didn't get seated til 7.40 and weren't out of there til 10.05.
    I'm done with the place now-they're under-staffed and they over-book.
    The first time we were there they were slow but last night took the biscuit.
    Its a pity because i have no complaints about the food there. Never feel comfortable there either-the vibe is crap!
    End of rant.

Ya - I've been for lunch a few times there and always enjoyed it. You're right about the location - you'd forget it's there half the time !!! However, it's great for parking :)
    Went for a meal today in a place I genuinely wouldn't have thought about for years. Molly Fultons on the old Dublin road.
    The food and service were excellent and the prices were very good. They probably suffer for not being closer to town but every table was full and I can see why. Would definitely recommend it and will hopefully be out next weekend again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Have to agree re Source.
    Pretentious overpriced food thrown at you by ignorant staff, no thanks. Can say I only heard bad reports about Gullivers, so won't be wasting my money there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭peter barrins

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ten minutes or more to have two cups of coffee delivered

Jaysus!! Maybe I'm just a bit laid back... But ten minutes seems reasonable enough for decent coffee unless its a fast food joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Jaysus!! Maybe I'm just a bit laid back... But ten minutes seems reasonable enough for decent coffee unless its a fast food joint.

Agreed! I'd have thought it'd be the least you'd be wait for a coffee that isn't instant rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭peter barrins

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Went to bella vista over the weekend, we used to like it there good food and family friendly.
    Well it has gone downhill big time, service was very slow and just poor. Food was awful so bad we didn't eat the main, complained and had food removed from our bill. Manager was very nice but didn't seem surprised at our complaint. I asked had the chef or management changed and was told all kitchen staff were changed about 6 weeks ago.
    While waiting to pay for our drinks we could see into the main kitchen area where there was numerous big tubs of sauces and food just left out in the tables, it looked visibly dirty. Won't be going back again unless the staff changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

What would be the best Chinese restaurant (not take away) in Sligo?

Hi - I think the best chinese food in Sligo is the Mandarin Court in Wine Street - place itself could do with a revamp - but can't fault the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I never had a Chinese in Sligo so must give it a go. Just on restaurants in Sligo, I like the early bird in Trà Bàn and Eala Bhan but my favourites are Coach Lane, Davis, and The Venue.

I love Indian food so I really enjoy Poppadom, especially when I'm in a group. I never sat in Paprika but the take away is grand. Also I've never used the Indian in Tubbercurry but I've heard a lot of good things about the food.

Gullivers is another place I must visit soon.

LOVE the early bird in Eala Bhan. Another lovely place, which gets forgotten about all the time is "the Silver Apple" above the pub across the road from the train station. Lovely food and great service any time I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

6781 wrote: »
    What would be the best Chinese restaurant (not take away) in Sligo?

We had a lovely meal in Dragon Court, Wine Street Car park. Great food and lovely service. Also had a nice one in Jade Garden, Strandhill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Finally got around to tryin Tra Ban this evenin. Food was decent and the service was very good. Can have no complaints really.

Advertisement