Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Aqueducts?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

And the sanitation...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Well the fella that brought Rome up in the first place changed his mind and deleted his post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Another +1 for Tra but -4 for Eala.
    Its hard to believe its the same crowd.
    The waitresses in Eala Ban are just horrible, arrogant and frankly useless. Food is pompous pretentious crap.
    Complete opposite out in Strandhill.
    Amazing.

We are booked in for dinner in Tra Ban tomorrow evening, will be our first time there. Looking forward to it. One month wedding anniversary as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Tra ban its fine dont like the eala bhan in Sligo food is not great but very priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Was in Eala Bhan before Christmas for a family event.

Restaurant: nice layout + decor
    Food: average at best, and worth nowhere near what was charged.
    Staff/Service: appalling. Very long waits between courses, rude/disinterested waiting staff. Tables not being cleared. And they were under no pressure, was very quiet when we were there.

Won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I'm booked in to go to Eala Bhan tonight for a meal - I didn't make the booking.

I had being somewhat looking forward to it but after reading all the negative comments about I'm not particularly looking forward to it.

I won't judge the place without trying it so I guess I'll just have to try it for myself and have my own opinion. Will report back with my experience.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I'm booked in to go to Eala Bhan tonight for a meal - I didn't make the booking.

I had being somewhat looking forward to it but after reading all the negative comments about I'm not particularly looking forward to it.

I won't judge the place without trying it so I guess I'll just have to try it for myself and have my own opinion. Will report back with my experience.

I bought someone a voucher there for Xmas, and these negative comments are worrying me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I bought someone a voucher there for Xmas, and these negative comments are worrying me too.

Sure vouchers are great fillefatele, thought that counts, at least the wine will be good!!

I'm not big in to slating restaurants or small businesses, but Eala Bhan was way below standard when I was there, everything was below par, service, food and the price didn't match, but Bobcar, they may have upped their game.

Unfortunately our annual (twelve to fourteen people) trip to Sligo has moved to Clare purely because of the closure of Source. We collectively spend lots on local accommodation, petrol, surf lessons, food, cafes, restaurants... But none of the restaurants in Sligo could cater for us like Source could, the ambiance, the relaxed atmosphere and attitude and above all the local food and how it was prepped, cooked and served. There was a different menu every time we went too. Big loss for Sligo, but that's just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

And the sanitation...

...and the Jacks, the Jacks. I mean the game not the sanitation. Jacks, a wonderful game, the Romans brought us that.

And just to not derail the thread and get banned or infracted (whatever an infraction means). My fav restaurant in Sligo is The Ho Wong, which is technically not a restaurant cos it only does takeaways...shame that..meanwhile back in Roam I await my judgement.

And of of course the Romans left us with this pile of little apples...have a read and enjoy the weekend, but not too much b'cos most of it will be a "sin".

Caio.

http://www.followthissite.com/list-of-sins.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I said I was going to report back here with my experience of Eala Bhan.

In the end, we had to cancel our reservation. I still make a conscious effort to try the place at some point in the future. Maybe things will have improved by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Went to Tra Ban at the weekend. It was okay, nothing to shout about. One point to highlight was the desert. My wife and I both got cheesecake for desert. It tasted lovely but there was a lot of what appeared to gelatin that had not fully dissolved. In general the food was grand.

On another restaurant related issue. What ever happened Tom Yum above the Quayside. Was the food poor quality, was it the location or did Thai food just not catch on in Sligo? While it was open I ate there, sit-in and takeaway, on many occasions and always loved it. I loved Thai food and miss the place, it was great value. I feel that the location had a lot to do with it, no restaurant has really taken off there, which is a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Went into town tonight intending to go to Rugantino's but unfortunately they were full up so rather than goin to the usual places around that area we just said feck it we'll give The Glasshouse a try. Oh my God never EVER eat there! The food is so so bad. So bad in fact we were in stitches at how bad it was. Our waitress was lovely and that's the only nice thing i could say about the place. (actually the after dinner mint was nice too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

mewe wrote: »
    Went into town tonight intending to go to Rugantino's but unfortunately they were full up so rather than goin to the usual places around that area we just said feck it we'll give The Glasshouse a try. Oh my God never EVER eat there! The food is so so bad. So bad in fact we were in stitches at how bad it was. Our waitress was lovely and that's the only nice thing i could say about the place. (actually the after dinner mint was nice too!)

I feel bad for you - partially because I could have told you not to go to the Glasshouse, and partially because we were one of the people eating in Rugantino's :)

I have to say, we now have a new favourite restaurant in Sligo. The food was excellent, no little detail was overlooked. Gorgeous olives (unlike another nearby 'Italian'), perfectly cooked calamari (unlike, well, most restaurants), delicious pizzas, and delightful desserts. We didn't try the pastas but they looked great, as did the breads. The wine was excellent, as was their coffee.

Most importantly, the staff were very friendly, especially the gentleman who I can only presume is the owner. The place itself is quite small, we hadn't booked so we were lucky to get a table, but we're looking forward to going back.

Oh, and did I say it was excellent value too, three courses, wine + coffee, €70!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

How many people for the €70 and was that including a bottle of wine?
    ectoraige wrote: »
    I feel bad for you - partially because I could have told you not to go to the Glasshouse, and partially because we were one of the people eating in Rugantino's :)

I have to say, we now have a new favourite restaurant in Sligo. The food was excellent, no little detail was overlooked. Gorgeous olives (unlike another nearby 'Italian'), perfectly cooked calamari (unlike, well, most restaurants), delicious pizzas, and delightful desserts. We didn't try the pastas but they looked great, as did the breads. The wine was excellent, as was their coffee.

Most importantly, the staff were very friendly, especially the gentleman who I can only presume is the owner. The place itself is quite small, we hadn't booked so we were lucky to get a table, but we're looking forward to going back.

Oh, and did I say it was excellent value too, three courses, wine + coffee, €70!

johnire wrote: »
    How many people for the €70 and was that including a bottle of wine?

Just the two of us, and yes it included a bottle of wine, and we each had starters, a pizza, dessert, and coffee. Looking forward to going back, just need an excuse and a babysitter.

That's not bad but if you're on a tight budget the Bistro is better value as the equivalent there on an Early Bird would be about €57.

quote="ectoraige;88821485"]Just the two of us, and yes it included a bottle of wine, and we each had starters, a pizza, dessert, and coffee. Looking forward to going back, just need an excuse and a babysitter.[/quote]

johnire wrote: »
    That's not bad but if you're on a tight budget the Bistro is better value as the equivalent there on an Early Bird would be about €57.
    Just the two of us, and yes it included a bottle of wine, and we each had starters, a pizza, dessert, and coffee. Looking forward to going back, just need an excuse and a babysitter.

Well, if you're on a budget McDonalds is probably cheaper again. The food in Rugantino is a level above what you get in Bistro, and I do like Bistro.

That sounds good....the Bistro needed some competition.

Well, if you're on a budget McDonalds is probably cheaper again. The food in Rugantino is a level above what you get in Bistro, and I do like Bistro.

IA, I've been twice. I haven't been to Bistro in years, always heard the pasta dishes weren't worth trying. Authentic Italian food is a bit of a novelty in this town :rolleyes: I'm sure the other restaurants are watching their backs now! The pastas and pizza are delicious, high quality, would recommend it to everyone.

• Advertisement

That's good to hear. We're booked in for our first taste of the place tomorrow night. Lookin forward to it :)

Like everyone else seems to be saying; it's another thumbs up for Rugantino. Food was delicious and really fresh. I think we've found our new favourite restaurant!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Rugantinos - very good atmosphere, great quality of food, good service - very reasonable and enjoyable for a family of four adults having lunch. Going back next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

This may be of interest to some. 6 months free trial of this scheme that will get you 2 for 1 in selected restaurants. Limoncello is the only Sligo based restaurant but can be used elsewhere.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057155607/1/#post89173523

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Anyone have lunch in the Crozon Inn since it reopened? Or is it carvery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

6781 wrote: »
    Anyone have lunch in the Crozon Inn since it reopened? Or is it carvery?

During the week its a la carte. As far as I know Sunday is Carvery. Was good value mid week.

The food in Clevery Mill in Castlebaldwin is fabulous. Went there for Sunday lunch and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So I finally got to Eala Bhan recently. Not the cheapest but quite enjoyed it. Seamed alot bigger on the inside compared to looking in, really nicely laid out with a pleasant decor.

Ordered of the A la Carte menu, two starters and two mains, were also offered a espresso sized cup of soup, not sure of the name for it. Drinks were a glass of wine and bottle of beer. All plates were cleaned.

Just over the €70 mark. Usally recommend to book week in advance, although I got a table two days before.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Had my first experience in Rugantino's yesterday. I suggested going to it after reading a few peoples reviews of it here. They now have 4 new fans!

Easily the nicest food around town, great value as well! The only negatives were the size of the place and the time between ordering and being served. But the quality and portion sizes more than made up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Where is rugantinos? Must check it out soon

Advertisement