Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Love China City down by Market Square I think. Love it and their all you can eat style buffet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Is there anywhere doing Thai food in town? IMO it is fair tastier and healthier than Chinese. I used to love Tom Yum when it was in the Quayside. China City usually do a good Thai green curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭scarlet43

I think Jade Garden in Strandhill (above the Strand) do Thai food as well as Chinese

scarlet43 wrote: »
    I think Jade Garden in Strandhill (above the Strand) do Thai food as well as Chinese

I'll check it out, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SligoEdo

Moved to Sligo last year..so far my favourites are:
    Coach lane...fantastic food and service.
    Lyons cafe...great for a quick lunch....lovely food.
    Shells cafe in Strandhill...beautiful food, service is brilliant with friendly, helpful staff and the place just has a nice vibe about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Anyone find The Fiddlers awful slow? I think waiting 45 minutes for average food a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

6781 wrote: »
    I never had a Chinese in Sligo so must give it a go. Just on restaurants in Sligo, I like the early bird in Trà Bàn and Eala Bhan but my favourites are Coach Lane, Davis, and The Venue.

I love Indian food so I really enjoy Poppadom, especially when I'm in a group. I never sat in Paprika but the take away is grand. Also I've never used the Indian in Tubbercurry but I've heard a lot of good things about the food.

Gullivers is another place I must visit soon.

Have you tried Classic India on Market St? The best Indian I have ever eaten.

scarlet43 wrote: »
    LOVE the early bird in Eala Bhan. Another lovely place, which gets forgotten about all the time is "the Silver Apple" above the pub across the road from the train station. Lovely food and great service any time I've been there.

Love, love, love that place. A gem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Got take away from the Indian in tubbercurry twice and didn't like it. Rice was nice naan bread dry and just boring overall. Much prefer popadom or paprika

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Have you tried Classic India on Market St? The best Indian I have ever eaten.

Love, love, love that place. A gem

Really? I got a chickpea curry from there and found it very average. I've gotten tired of the oily curries from Poppadom too. I'll just have to wait for my next trip to Dublin for a decent curry it seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Vohnsom Hofmee

Anyone try the new Panda Chinese restaurant, where Kings used to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

No but I'm interested to hear people's experiences. I think they do a buffet style thing a la China City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Daughter went there, said it was lovely, much nicer then China City. She said the staff were really friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Got a take-away last night from the place.. very impressed!

Nice staff, lovely interior (nicer than King's IMO) and they had a pick-your-meat-and-sauce dish.

So got seafood mix in a green thai curry sauce.. was delish - prawns, mussels and squid. The squid was a little chewy but very tough to cook that when it's a take-away since it'll continue cooking in the sauce.

Very much recommended ahead of China City anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Vohnsom Hofmee

Yeah, tried it out myself for a take-away, very nice, and cheaper than Dragon House, which was my "go to" Chinese place.

They advertise a "mini-buffet", which I'm guessing is like China City's. They're also open for lunch everyday, 12pm-2:30pm, doing a "3-course meal" for €10.99.

Yeah, tried it out myself for a take-away, very nice, and cheaper than Dragon House, which was my "go to" Chinese place.

They advertise a "mini-buffet", which I'm guessing is like China City's. They're also open for lunch everyday, 12pm-2:30pm, doing a "3-course meal" for €10.99.

I think it's great that they are open for lunch, first Chinese in town to do so afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Got a takeaway from it, no different from any other Chinese really. Maybe a sit-down meal would be better.

Gave it a go on Sunday evening. Wouldn't eat a lot of Chinese food but really made up for lack of consumption by ordering several starters and several mains, good value and very tasty. I think my fiancée was ashamed of the amount I ate. I just kept thinking of a related Simpson's episode. Got a very reasonably priced very drinkable bottle wine as well (one between the two of us, I'm not a complete monster). Will go back again but I'm still full from Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Why do so many people rave about the Jade Garden so much? I don't rate it one wee bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

magnumlady wrote: »
    I think it's great that they are open for lunch, first Chinese in town to do so afaik.

Yes popped in for lunch there today, I was the only one in the place but at least I knew the food would be cooked to order. Decided on the 3 course for €10.99 but in hindsight the main course (€8.50) would have done as they have generous portion sizes. Tasty stuff, no complaints, nice friendly waiter too.

The previous tenants Kings tried a lunch menu as well and it didn't really take off so I hope these guys do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

Plazaman wrote: »
    Yes popped in for lunch there today, I was the only one in the place but at least I knew the food would be cooked to order. Decided on the 3 course for €10.99 but in hindsight the main course (€8.50) would have done as they have generous portion sizes. Tasty stuff, no complaints, nice friendly waiter too.

The previous tenants Kings tried a lunch menu as well and it didn't really take off so I hope these guys do better.

I'm really considering going tonight and trying out there Mini Buffet, but being that I have heard no feedback about the buffet, I'm wondering would china city be my safer bet. Also, would anyone have a number that I could make a reservation under? I can't seem to find one anywhere online. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Memories wrote: »
    I'm really considering going tonight and trying out there Mini Buffet, but being that I have heard no feedback about the buffet, I'm wondering would china city be my safer bet. Also, would anyone have a number that I could make a reservation under? I can't seem to find one anywhere online. Thanks :)

My daughter had the buffet, she said it was much nicer than China City, she didn't make a reservation. I think I have a leaflet around somewhere, I'll check it out.

My daughter had the buffet, she said it was much nicer than China City, she didn't make a reservation. I think I have a leaflet around somewhere, I'll check it out.

Ah okay, that's great! do you know if it's the same style? as in you order off the menu and not pick up whatever you wish to have off a hot plate? Please let me know if you find the leaflet :) thank you :)

Memories wrote: »
    Ah okay, that's great! do you know if it's the same style? as in you order off the menu and not pick up whatever you wish to have off a hot plate? Please let me know if you find the leaflet :) thank you :)

Found the leaflet and yes you order off the menu. It looks very good because you can order whatever sauce you want for the shredded chicken dishes. 0719150607 or 0719150633

Found the leaflet and yes you order off the menu. It looks very good because you can order whatever sauce you want for the shredded chicken dishes. 0719150607 or 0719150633

Thanks very much! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Tried the Panda: Mixed enough reaction. Overall I'd say it was healthier than most:

Mint Chicken: I had never heard of this before so tried it. As close to the dishes I've eaten in London's China Town. All freshly cooked with lots of vegetables, broccoli, green beans etc. Good flavour to it, but sitting in a base gloopy sauce, but probably not much MSG and other added seasoning agents, used on this dish.

Chicken Fried rice: Not as seasoned as others we have had before, but tasty enough and probably healthier.

Duck Cantonese: Smaller than usual portion, and drier, but good.

Malaysian Special Curry. Very good.

Fried rice. Not as seasoned as others, but probably cooked without as much or any sesame oil (or whatever it is they normally use).

Chips: OK, chips aren't what restaurants should be judged on, but these were limp, pale and soggy. Avoid. Maybe this was a bad fry on the day

Overall good to very good. And I think probably cooked to more authentic, healthier methods.

Good for a change and the restaurant looks lovely, def one to go to with friends for a meal out.

I did miss my Dry and Spicy Chicken from Ho Wongs tho... .next time eh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

You can ask for no MSG if you like, certain things that are prepared will have it already added but if your dish is being prepared fresh you can ask for no MSG :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Hi guys,

Sorry to jump in as a non contributor to this thread but I am visiting Sligo town soon on a 3 night break and I am taking my mother (along with some others) to try to help her relax after a stressful few years.

I was wondering would anyone be able to advise me on some nice restaurants to try out while we are there?

From looking up Tripadvisor it looks like Eala Bhan is a must try?

After that I am finding it quite hard to pick for the other two nights, we would be looking for somewhere that does nice high quality food without being overly pretentious, Italian, French, European type food, somewhere that does good meat and chicken dishes.

Any advise from locals very much welcome, will have a car so will be able to travel outside Sligo town for somewhere really nice but keeping it in Sligo town would be preferred.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Hi guys,

Sorry to jump in as a non contributor to this thread but I am visiting Sligo town soon on a 3 night break and I am taking my mother (along with some others) to try to help her relax after a stressful few years.

I was wondering would anyone be able to advise me on some nice restaurants to try out while we are there?

From looking up Tripadvisor it looks like Eala Bhan is a must try?

After that I am finding it quite hard to pick for the other two nights, we would be looking for somewhere that does nice high quality food without being overly pretentious, Italian, French, European type food, somewhere that does good meat and chicken dishes.

Any advise from locals very much welcome, will have a car so will be able to travel outside Sligo town for somewhere really nice but keeping it in Sligo town would be preferred.

Thanks!

Yeah Eala Bhan is good alright. It's not spectacular or anything but its decent food and good service, much the same as its sister restaurant Tra Ban out in Strandhill. I would prefer Tra Ban myself actually and you could have a nice stroll on the beach after dinner!

Montmartre in the market yard is a french restaurant and the food is really good. Very rich tasty food but the service wouldn't be my cup of tea and its very very slow.

For lunchtime meals you've some great places. Lyons cafe do dinners at lunch for around 10 euro and its good food,unpretentious and a nice setting in a lovely old building. Also i'd recommend The Drumcliffe Teahouse for lunch. Nice simple food in a lovely setting beside Yeat's grave.

For Italian food you have Bistro Bianconi. It's nothing special but decent food and unpretentious. Right beside that you have A Casa Mia where you'll get tapa's and its very reasonable. I'd also recommend Coach Lane for an evening meal. Nice food and good service there.

Hope this helps and ye enjoy your stay in Sligo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Hi guys...

If you're out in Strandhill, a visit to Shells is a must.

It's café style food, but is just so tasty (evidenced by the fact in rain or shine, there's nearly always a queue, or they're at least near capacity).

Hardagon's (pub) on O'Connell Street also does very good, homely food (fantastic setting too; it's probably the nicest pub in Sligo).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks for the suggestions! From them I think we're going to pick Eala Bhan one night, Coach lane another and Hardagon's another, we'll pop into Shells if we're out in Strandhill during the day I think or substitute Eala Bhan for Tra ban if we're in Strandhill in the evening.

We're staying on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night would any of the restaurants be busy enough to require prior booking on those nights?

Advertisement