Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭peter barrins

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Totally agree with you, however I hate being in it when it's lunch time as it can be very, very busy!!

Again, I agree with you,but you're definitely paying for it! You wont get much change from €20 for 2 breakfasts!
    The Silverapple is above Raffertys on Lord Edward Street (Across from the bus station).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brian O Neill

no question its Ala Ban on rockwood parade. Great service and atmosphere. AVOID AT ALL COST: source - possibly the worst service I have ever had , the just dont care if your there or not. pity nice building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

no question its Ala Ban on rockwood parade. Great service and atmosphere. AVOID AT ALL COST: source - possibly the worst service I have ever had , the just dont care if your there or not. pity nice building

Eala Bhan you mean. As for Source - I've never experienced bad service there, maybe it was a waitress on a bad day, I dunno - sorry to hear it though! I love the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

First post on boards and you're slating one business and promoting a competitor? Sounds like you have an agenda Brian. I have been to Source a good few times, the service is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I found them fine as well and the waitresses were quite nice, even though it was quite busy! I'm definitely not a fan of the interior (of the bottom floor anyways). Food was lovely though, if not a bit on the pricey side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Where is Source restaurant

• Advertisement

Where is Source restaurant

Where O'Connell St and John St. meet, beside the 4 Lanterns, on the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

have to say, i've found that source is kinda going on a slow downhill crawl. every time we go there the service seems to get worse. lovely interior and nice concept with the food but it doesn't live up to the hype any more. pity. last few times we've been in sligo we've headed to hargadons instead, at least the plates are clean and the tea/coffee arives hot.

artyeva wrote: »
    nice concept with the food

Agreed, creative menu. The other thing I like about it is the fact that the menu is different every time I go. Seasonal adjustments always impress me, means the chefs know their beans. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Coach Lane, I found their menu hadn't changed the last time I was there, but the food was great, service was perfect and the atmosphere was very convivial.

Last time I was in Source they had a really good raspberry dressing on the salad, I asked them had they any for sale and they filled a jamjar full of the stuff for me! That's a nice touch. I like the recycled interior downstairs, I find upstairs very relaxing.

Bebo Stunnah, it is a little bit pricey, but I have paid more for less and I had the early bird a few times, very reasonable.

Is the older thin man an owner in Source? He seems to be there whenever I visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Had a lot of hit and misses/inconsistencies with Chinese restaurants recently.

Is there one or two that are currently doing the business?

Preferably based on recent ratings/comparisons as opposed to naming which your fav is.

No offence to anyone, but there are a couple of restaurants that folk rave about and I don't rate them at all. (eg: Jade Garden. We've tried "different" chicken dishes from there at the same time, and they have virtually been the same, only the name is different, the same base sauce being used for a range of dishes).

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Kettleson wrote: »
    Had a lot of hit and misses/inconsistencies with Chinese restaurants recently...

I'd avoid China City. Food was decent enough but the quality of the service and the cramped setting made it not worth the hassle. Had two experiences there during January (a friend's birthday and a work night out).

Service at the birthday party (about 20 of us) was just total chaos; orders not turning up, incorrect orders being wheeled out instead, staff constantly buzzing around the table (which is expected given their set up, but it was impossible to relax), having the base of your dish plonked in front of you 10 minutes after the accompaniment. I asked what one particular item on the menu contained (I'm diabetic) and the waitress just spun on her heels and walked off.

There was also an hour+ gap between starter and mains. We were told there'd be no mains delivered for at least 20 minutes, only for them to start landing within 30 seconds.

The second visit only had 4 of us. One particular item was ordered at our table 6 times during the course of the evening by myself and 2 others, and was not once brought to the table, or acknowledged that it was missing. Just shoddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

China City is largely fine for a takeaway but heard horrible things about sitting down.

But in saying that, they're also very poor when the takeaway service is busy.. expect a 5 - 10 minute longer wait than you were told on the phone when you rang it in during real busy times.

China City's the best of a bad bunch in town IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Mandarin Court is by far the best quality Chinese in town

• Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mandarin Court is by far the best quality Chinese in town
    True... but pricey for a take-away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I'm not sure if others would agree with me but I ate in Gullivers recently and it was a disappointing experience. I was let down to find it was nothing like the old gullivers, that place had a bit of character about it, the new place is just a little sterile.

The food was poor, my steak was over cooked, medium/well instead of medium/rare and my mothers fish was bland and tasteless. If I am back in Sligo in the future I doubt I would go there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Slidey wrote: »
    I'm not sure if others would agree with me but I ate in Gullivers recently and it was a disappointing experience. I was let down to find it was nothing like the old gullivers, that place had a bit of character about it, the new place is just a little sterile.

The food was poor, my steak was over cooked, medium/well instead of medium/rare and my mothers fish was bland and tasteless. If I am back in Sligo in the future I doubt I would go there again.

Ate there on Sunday, was recommended to me and as it was a mothers day dinner I was hoping it would be nice. Food was good but there was a long wait even though it was relatively quiet for a Sunday that was mothers day. Layout was very cramped and uncomfortable as well.

Probably good for lunch but it wasn't the nice meal I was hoping to have with the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Got to give a shout out to 'Street Cart', I have always received great friendly service from them. Their burritos are perfect for when you want a nice treat for dinner but something a little better for you than a Chipper. I love eating there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Had a nice pork one the time I went in. I eat a lot of them in Dublin so was nice to see a place in town do them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Truley wrote: »
    Got to give a shout out to 'Street Cart', I have always received great friendly service from them. Their burritos are perfect for when you want a nice treat for dinner but something a little better for you than a Chipper. I love eating there.

Yep, fave spot in town now. Cannot give enough credit to the folks working there either - they're 100% genuine and probably the soundest people working in the town! (special note to Subway bigwigs - this is how you get repeat business and loyal customers, not having your staff badgering people for a 'cookie, crisp or drink' - I'm a grown lad, I can ask for these if I want!).

Hope the place goes from strength to strength.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a place suitable for a lunch of about 12 people during the summer? I'm going to ring around a few places, prefer to avoid the hotels because I'm a vegetarian and it's never a worthwhile experience.

Considering Source, the Radisson ...

Looking for the best value price per head for two lunch courses.

Not interested in Davis' because I find its a bit expensive and I always feel a bit rushed there as it's so busy in the high season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree totally with everything that you have said.

I've been to Gullivers twice and don't think I'll be going back.
    The food was average,service was adequate,surroundings mediocre and bill way too high.
    They seriously need to bring out an early bird menu.....and fast as its not going to survive.
    Slidey wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hotbunny

Definitely has to be Casa Mia! The cakes are yum! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭scarlet43

DON'T go to SOURCE - absolutely terrible service. and the menu isn't that great either. Can't believe they got an award for best customer service recently - can't understand it. I've had horrific experiences in there. Plenty of other nice places to go - I'd choose anywhere but Source !!! Try the Bistro, Casa Mia or McHughs if you're looking for somewhere in town.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a place suitable for a lunch of about 12 people during the summer? I'm going to ring around a few places, prefer to avoid the hotels because I'm a vegetarian and it's never a worthwhile experience.

Considering Source, the Radisson ...

Looking for the best value price per head for two lunch courses.

Not interested in Davis' because I find its a bit expensive and I always feel a bit rushed there as it's so busy in the high season.

scarlet43 wrote: »
    DON'T go to SOURCE - absolutely terrible service. and the menu isn't that great either.

I could understand you giving out about the service, maybe you had bad service there, but the menu is good, anyone here can log on and see that it's creative, seasonal and all locally sourced. Do you have some sort of gripe with them or do you own or work for the competition?

@ fillefatale... Source is good for groups, I took a group of eight last time I was there, we all went for the early bird, worked out very reasonable. Staff were attentive, food was very good, menu was varied and interesting. Here's the early bird menu @ €20, as you can see it's far from not great.
    Soup of The Day Served With Source Homemade Bread
    Source Handmade Vegetable Ravioli, Vegetable Cream.
    Caramelized Goats Cheese Salad, Mixed Leaves, Walnuts.
    Carpaccio Of Roast Beef, Rocket, Parmesan, Mustard Vinaigrette.

Braised Irish Beef, Mashed Potato, Red Wine Sauce.
    Roast Irish Chicken, Crunchy Potatoes, Vegetables.
    Pan Fried Lemon Sole, Baked Potatoes, Garlic & Almonds.
    Italian Vegetable Lasagne, Source Salad.

Trio Of Desserts.

Tea or Coffee.

• Advertisement

Advertisement