Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

With Photoshop perhaps?...

Scissors Version 1.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭b1964

Thank you very much for posting the photos of Georges Place/Pocket. I grew up in the new flats there 1969/1975 before we headed out to the green pastures of Finglas. I wonder does anyone remember the blacksmiths forge which was right beside Temple Street Hospital (round near St. Francis Clinic). There was also a piggery beside the hospital which backed onto Kellys Row off Dorset Street. (someone please tell me that my memory is not failing me) No worries about Health & Safety then !

Would anyone have photos of the Fruit & Veg Market, Bolton Street, Kings Inns Street and Maddens Court as my grandparents/great grandparents lived there.

Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

b1964 wrote: »
    Thank you very much for posting the photos of Georges Place/Pocket. I grew up in the new flats there 1969/1975 before we headed out to the green pastures of Finglas. I wonder does anyone remember the blacksmiths forge which was right beside Temple Street Hospital (round near St. Francis Clinic). There was also a piggery beside the hospital which backed onto Kellys Row off Dorset Street. (someone please tell me that my memory is not failing me) No worries about Health & Safety then !

Would anyone have photos of the Fruit & Veg Market, Bolton Street, Kings Inns Street and Maddens Court as my grandparents/great grandparents lived there.

Keep up the good work

Your memory is not failing you because I too have a vivid memory of the blacksmith's in the lane. As a kid I'd stand there for ages watching. Loved the smell from it too.

As for the pigs in the lane. I remember we had to walk through that lane to get to collect the Infant Aid milk (remember that with the cardboard inserts in the top of the bottles?) and there was one particular goat in that lane that seemed to take a dislike to my grandmother because he used to put his head down and run at her. Thankfully she was light on her feet at the time.... me gran that is not the goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

There's some great stuff on here.

I have just uploaded a flickr set of shots I took around the M50/N3 interchange near Blanchardstown when it was first being built - about 1989/1990, I think - along with a few of the first Westlink bridge. Not quite the vintage of some on here, but I hope they're of some interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

b1964 wrote: »
    I wonder does anyone remember the blacksmiths forge which was right beside Temple Street Hospital (round near St. Francis Clinic). There was also a piggery beside the hospital which backed onto Kellys Row off Dorset Street.

I recall market horses were kept on Grenville Lane/Bath Lane about 27ish years ago.
    I have just uploaded a flickr set of shots I took around the M50/N3 interchange near Blanchardstown when it was first being built - about 1989/1990, I think - along with a few of the first Westlink bridge. Not quite the vintage of some on here, but I hope they're of some interest.

89/90 is about right for the bridge. Our engineering class got to walk under the roadway in the hollow box section checking out the stressing cables and other stuff before they joined the last 2/3 sections together. The way they constructed it was they built the piers first, two or three at a time. Then they built a bit of road deck to the north, then a bit to the south of each pier. Did this a few times keeping it kinda balcanced until they met up with the road deck from the next pier like two T's joining up. The ends would be sagging a bit due to their own weight as they joined them up. Once they joined them up, the cables along the bottom would be joined also and then the 2 decks would be pulled up using the cables to makes the joined deck flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's some great stuff on here.

What was the slogan they had on the brochures when it opened in 1990? "Across the Liffey in a jiffy" or something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Rashers wrote: »
    there was one particular goat in that lane that seemed to take a dislike to my grandmother because he used to put his head down and run at her. Thankfully she was light on her feet at the time.... me gran that is not the goat.
    Yore GranMa!

Sorry, couldn't let the oppertunity pass. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

humberklog, do you have any photos of the south inner city? boyne street, fenian street, city quay?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ideo wrote: »
    humberklog, do you have any photos of the south inner city? boyne street, fenian street, city quay?

Not at the moment I afraid but I am working on it.

North of Liffey and East of O'Connell St was this lot.

Here's a few pics of people in various occupations over the years.

Nursing Staff at the Meath Hospital in 1872. :eek:

NursesMeathHospital1872.jpg

Road works crew at Williamstown Avenue in Blackrock in 1904. The chap seated looks like a cleric of some sort. (I think this road may now be part of Blackrock College).

RoadworksCrewWilliamstownAvenue1904.jpg

Chambermaids in a Dublin hotel in 1966.

Chambermaids1966.jpg

Waiters in a Dublin hotel in 1966.

Waiters1966.jpg

Gravediggers at Glasnevin cemetry in 1966.

GraveDiggersGlasnevin1966.jpg

Horse traders at the RDS in 1966.

HorseTradersRDS1966.jpg

Park Ranger in 1966

ParkRanger1966.jpg

Seminarians at Clonliffe College in 1966.

SeminariansClonliffeCollege1966.jpg

Roadworks (gas) in the city centre in 1977. Note the absence of the now ubiqiutous health and safety gear. Anyone recognise the location?

RoadworksGas1977.jpg

Hairdresser in the Ilac Centre in 1988.

IlacCentre1988.jpg

Milkman in Finglas in 1988.

Milkman1988.jpg

• Advertisement

Great photos Wish.. many thanks.

Having looked at them closely I'm very grateful that at the time I had an opertaion in the Meath hospital I'm very glad I was born too late to wake up and see one of those nurses bending over me <shiver>. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Great photos Wish.. many thanks.

Having looked at them closely I'm very grateful that at the time I had an opertaion in the Meath hospital I'm very glad I was born too late to wake up and see one of those nurses bending over me <shiver>. :)

look at the evil eye on the second one on the right! :eek:

Great great photos. BTW Has anyone read that book "Darkest Dublin"? I keep meaning to pick it up in easons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Great Pics Wishbone - any idea which hotel the waiters were in?

Bambi wrote: »
    Has anyone read that book "Darkest Dublin"? I keep meaning to pick it up in easons.
    Yes, Mrs WA bought it for me as soon as it hit the shelves. Plenty of pics in it of streets/alleys/cottages/yards/lanes etc. that I hadn't heard of before. Many of the pics are small and of poor quality but it's a useful reference to have.
    Gaspode wrote:
    any idea which hotel the waiters were in?
    I've no idea - the dining room looks like it's fairly upmarket for the era. Possibly the Shelbourne, Metropole or Gresham (in better days)?

Bambi wrote: »
    look at the evil eye on the second one on the right! :eek:
    I have their names and titles if you're interested!

(Left to Right) Fever Nurse Hodgens, Night Nurse Spring, Surgical Nurse Murray and Accident Nurse Brazil.

NursesMeathHospital1872.jpg

My god if I'd had the op back then I'd have woke up to see Surgical Nurse Murray's face hovering over me! I'd have died on the spot!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

From the expressions and body language I think Accident Nurse Brazil may have just farted 'cut the cheese'.
    Wonderful photograph. Gonna print and frame this one.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I came across these photos recently http://centreofenglish.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12&page=1

Here are some samples
    The_Duck_Inn_Finglas_Village01.jpg
    The Dick McKee memorial on the left

40A_Finglas_1982.jpg
    When did the 40a go via Manor Street and Blackhorse Avenue?

Mckee_Finglas_Village02.jpg

Finglas1960s.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

joolsveer wrote: »

The 40A didn't.

However the BUS probably did. Bus D1, pictured here with it's missing foglight, missing windscreen rubber upstairs, and missing half a roof(!), was based in Phibsboro Garage, and would sometimes have operated on the 39 route to Blanchardstown, which DID use Sráid Mháinéir.

Once or twice in a lifetime, bus conductors were known to actually try to WIND the destination scrolls. In a former life, a conductor on the 39 route would have wound the scroll till he saw something resembling Manor Street. Never mind the Blackhorse bit! There it probably jammed, and a conductor could do serious damage to his pint lifting arm, or at least his knuckles, trying to turn an obstinate destination winding knob!

Hence, generations of finger knuckles were preserved by simply operating every bus in the city to Án Lár Via Án Lár.

Bus conductors didn't have it easy back then, you know...

My god if I'd had the op back then I'd have woke up to see Surgical Nurse Murray's face hovering over me! I'd have died on the spot!! :eek:

Nonsense, four fine birds! Not a better one would you find waiting for you in Barry's Hotel! You could bring any one of these home to your mammy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

limejuice wrote: »
    Someone asked a while back about Anderson, Stanford & Ridgeway. I think I am right in saying they used to be at the bottom of Dawson Street, the building that is now Waterstones. It was Laura Ashley before that & used to have an amazing staircase which was also part of it as A, S & R.

Thanks for that Limejuice. I am the great grand daughter of the Stanford part of Anderson, Stanford and Ridgeway and i know so little about it, it's shameful.

Super thread huh?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Haven't seen this mentioned here,found it while trawling for information on the howth tram and may be of interest to some people.

http://www.europafilmtreasures.eu/PY/261/see-the-film-once_upon_a_tram

lord lucan wrote: »
    Haven't seen this mentioned here
    I posted a pic a few months back of passengers boarding the last tram at the summit in Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Apologies, not been through the whole thread, dont know if these were posted already...
    07%20img245%2089-006%20April%201989.jpg

the two Guinness boats

To continue with the work horses of Dublin and some street scenes to bring back memories....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thanks for that rashers, great viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

joolsveer wrote: »
    IIRC (and not wanting to cross HydeRoads very informative information) the route 37 ran along Manor Street and Blackhorse Avenue via Aughrim Street and the termini were at Aston Quay and Skreen Road. Happy memories of catching it when I went to Brunner.:)

vektarman wrote: »
    IIRC (and not wanting to cross HydeRoads very informative information) the route 37 ran along Manor Street and Blackhorse Avenue via Aughrim Street and the termini were at Aston Quay and Skreen Road. Happy memories of catching it when I went to Brunner.:)

Haha, ok, if you want to get REALLY technical, the full truth is as follows:

SR. MHAINÉIR / ASCAL CIARDHUIBH is indeed the CIE Irish translation for Manor Street / Blackhorse Avenue. This was indeed strictly part of the 37 route, as the other Manor Street routes did not use Blackhorse Avenue. However, the 37 route operated out of Conyngham Road Garage at the time, whereas the 39 and 40 group of routes operated out of Phibsborough Garage.

Just to complicate things, the Irish language blinds on D1 carried destinations for both Conyngham Road AND Phibsborough routes. So while D1 displays the Irish language destination for route 37, it would never have operated on route 37, but would have appeared regularly on routes 39 and 40.

The Irish language display on the main blind appears very white and clean, naturally because this end of the blind was not regularly used. If the blind was correctly displayed for route 40, it would show BR. WHITWORTH / REILIG GHLASNAÍON, and would probably look yellowed and decayed, due to constant exposure to the blazing hot Dublin sunshine...

D1 was the very first of the front entrance / rear engine Leyland Atlantean buses to grace Dublin's streets. All earlier buses were the rear entrance buses with the open platform and bar to hang onto. D1 dated from 1966, so was 16 years old when this picture was taken, and was in very rough order at this stage. It was withdrawn from service soon after, and out of a total fleet of 602 of this type of bus, only about five or six survive in various states of preservation, the original 'Ghost Bus' being the most familiar to the general public. The rest are all scrapped and gone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 raymoore09

Hi,
    Thought some would like to see photos from Nelson's Pillar taken 1960.
    nelsonpillarviewA1960.jpg
    This one looking South.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

HydeRoad that is a brilliant post. Oddly fascinating.

About 3 year ago I was gamboling my way to The Ramble Inn in Donnycarney and I almost fell out of my standing. There at the small green opposite where Premier Dairies stood was a D1 in pristine condition. The door was open and the engine ticking over. A chap sat on the grass smoking a fag and I asked him what it was all about. He told me that he restored it, looked up it's bit of history and found that it was commonly on the (new defunct) 20A route.
    This day he decided to give it a run out across its old route. He told me he just tidies up large automobiles for fun and mostly has them parked up. I didn't get his name nor his address but he was a Dublin chap. The bus was perfect, nothing added tgo give away a restore. Even down to the advertisments on it (two Lois jeans bull emblems) on either side or the upper rear window.
    I should have asked more questions but he was getting on and beer was pulling me towards the light. I told an old retired inspector (the silver fox M. O'B.) about it. He's a cold enough man at the best of times and even his face beamed.

So somewhere around the city is one of these being very, very looked after.

Advertisement