Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

kwalshe wrote: »
    I remember Dempseys, altough it was called Dempseys Music Salon, I bought my first plectrum there. The guy behind the counter always had a unbelievable stentch of onions around him, but he was lovely, reminded me of David Kelly
    I've heard tell he was a bit of a character all right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hermy wrote: »
    A while back I was asking if any of ye had any memories of Grennells shoemakers in Parnell Street. I think the shop was previously situated in Liffey Street. So here's a few photos of what's left of the shop:
    On the corner of Parnell Street and Ryders Row was Dempseys music shop if anyone might remember that too.

I'be no recollection of Grennells I'm afraid, but I spent many an hour in Dempseys Music Salon alright. I bought my first guitar there in 1981, and still have it and play it to this day.
    The owner was decent enough chap, was always willing to spend some time talking about music and instruments and didnt mind that I was always in there just browsing. He went to the bother of locating a decent lefthanded guitar for me and it was certainly one of the best instruments I've bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but RTE started showinf Eamon McThomais's show again on Sunday mornings at about 11am. It started two weeks ago, but I only noticed it in the paper at about three yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Love the vid Rashers! Loving the clothes they're wearing too.

And not one fat kid among them :)

The_Edge wrote: »
    ...And not one fat kid among them :)

Back then kids ate REAL food and were actually active. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

My Dad pulled out some of his old photographs recently and there's a few interesting ones. Some CIE related, I'll pick some of the best and upload them when I get a chance. My grandfather was a bus conductor for almost 40 years and there's a pic or two of him with the bus and driver. :)

Moore Street 1964. (Looking towards Henry St)

MooreSt1964.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Two pictures taken on the roof of P Block, Fatima Mansions in Rialto. Fatima is now gone and is replaced with houses and more apartments. Rialto Buildings in the background are still there. Taken in September 1982.

601A7291974E42F697C9B5CE0EB71017.jpgB5E99DB7C2C1464DBDBB292BDC469464.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Rashers wrote: »
    Moore Street 1964. (Looking towards Henry St)

MooreSt1964.jpg

dense question maybe, given that it's obviously Moore street, but why does that "nortons" sign have "24 lwr camden st" on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Bambi wrote: »
    dense question maybe, given that it's obviously Moore street, but why does that "nortons" sign have "24 lwr camden st" on it?

The address of their other branch maybe?

Bambi wrote: »

Another branch of Norton's?

I once worked for a firm in Parnell Street. Painted on the fascia were the addresses of it's other branches.

But nice one! I like it when peple look 'into' a photo instead of 'at' it. Nice observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

iMax wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but RTE started showinf Eamon McThomais's show again on Sunday mornings at about 11am. It started two weeks ago, but I only noticed it in the paper at about three yesterday

Funnily enough i watched both episodes on the RTE website this evening which prompted me to find this thread. I started this thread about 2 hours ago and have only got through about half of it, some amazing pictures and scenes from the past. I'm only 23 but I love all things old Dublin, i'm fascinated by it and i find it a real shame that it's a sentiment not felt by more people from my generation. Fair play to everyone posting the pictures most notably Rashers, fantastic collection you have there, cheers.

Here's the link to the afformentioned program, if this thread floats your boat this is well worth a watch.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1057365

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Phoenix Park - early 1960s.

FootballersPhoenixPark.jpg

WBA you don't know the story behind the photo do you?.

/Wish the guy in red wasn't showing some camel!.

WBA you don't know the story behind the photo do you?
    Sorry Mairt - I don't know anything else about it!

(I don't even know if they were playing association football, Gaelic football or rugby. :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

wishbone, i am waiting to find out if one of them is my uncle, he has since passed, and waiting for someone to confirm its him

A derelict looking St Michael's Hill/St Michael's Close area in the 1960s.

StMichaelsHill1965.jpg

Near the same area in the 1980s.

ChristchurchStMichaelsHillArea1988.jpg

The same area taken in 2008.

WinetavernStreet301208.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The middle picture looks circa 88 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Just found this thread yesterday - I been going through it for hours ever since. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

Thanks to everyone for posting the photos and the videos... I grew up in Dublin years ago and some of the old photos really brought back some great memories. Thanks to all!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PEPPI

How about posting photos and video's of a rapidly changing Dublin?..

I've some old photo's of home of Ballymun during my childhood, including recent photos taken of the 'flats' where I lived and soon to be knocked down and gone forever which I can include.

I think it would be nice to record people's pix & vid's of Dublin in one thread.

Anyone remember the snow of 1982..

Thanks for the pic's really enjoyed them, Dublin it seem, is positioning itself, to becoming a very beautiful modern city, with a wicket history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PEPPI

Can anyone think of a suitable title?.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55955&stc=1&d=1210633014

I like the way the young couple appear to be walking through a time warp!.

Loved this............................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

i have a photo somewhere taken in the same place, only theres a motorbike shop where that spar is., :) gonna see of i can find that.,

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

When I was at home last weekend, my father updated me on his ongoing project to scan the collection of postcards originally sent among my grandfather’s relatives at the turn of the twentieth century, and attentively collected, preserved and added to (there are some intriguing Irish Shipping Ltd postcards from the 1950s) by my grandmother.

http://puesoccurrences.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/the-past-is-another-country/#more-1719

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just browsing the RTE Player and came across this

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1057991
    Dublin: A Personal View

A special chance to see, direct from the RTÉ archives, a tour of Dublin presented by Eamonn MacThomais. In this episode he heads north of the River Liffey to explore Stoneybatter.

There are a couple of other half hour films there too.

They won't be available there for long, and they might be the same as those "My Dublin" films shown earlier in this thread.

One about The Liberties is only up there until this sunday, next one the sunday after, and the one linked the sunday after that.

Cook Street circa 1950

CookStreetc1950-1.jpg

Cook Street circa 1965

CookStreet1965.jpg

Cook Street 2008

CookStreet301208-1.jpg

A couple of dull images of O'Connell Street/Bridge taken on a wintery afternoon in the 1970s.

(Note that traffic is travelling westwards on the north quays and eastwards on the south quays. When did that change?)

OConnellBridge1977.jpg

OConnellStreet1977.jpg

(Note that traffic is travelling westwards on the north quays and eastwards on the south quays. When did that change?)[/B]

During 88 or 89.

It wasn't only the quays either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Note that traffic is travelling westwards on the north quays and eastwards on the south quays. When did that change?
    During 88 or 89.

It wasn't only the quays either.

I think it was 1988 ... I was only a year driving, confused the hell out of me.

Advertisement