Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Morton Stadium?

Nope, though it's very close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Heiton Buckley yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

what disaster was that wishbone?
    At 8.45pm on Sept 2nd 1913, tenament houses no. 66 and 67 Church Street collapsed killing 4 adults and 3 children people (all from no. 66). 26 people were living in squalid condidtions in no. 66 and, as a result, a housing inquiry was established and many of the city's other slums and tenaments were photographed.

(PS - the disaster occurred just days after the labour strikes of 1913).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I'd forgotten about those Eamon McThomais programs. My dad recorded them all & I still have them somewhere on VHS. (actually I'm just after digitizing a load of my dad's old recordings of Dublin from RTE in the 70s & 80s). I'm in the clip with Hector Grey with my dad.

Went to one of Mr McThomais's public speeches years ago in Raheny. Fascinating.

GBX wrote: »
    Heiton Buckley yard?

The Crowne Plaza Hotel, Northwood in the old Santry Forest.

• Advertisement

Eamonn Mac Thomais from the '70s. Part 4

Rashers wrote: »
    I thought that would be too obvious! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thats my father in the video from 3:56 to 4:00, walking towards the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Is the bridge in that pic (I think it's a bridge going by the ballustrade) crossing over the Santry River beside the lakes in Northwood on the Swords Road? I'm just trying to pinpoint the location.

highdef wrote: »
    Is the bridge in that pic (I think it's a bridge going by the ballustrade) crossing over the Santry River beside the lakes in Northwood on the Swords Road? I'm just trying to pinpoint the location.

On mature reflection (to quote someone) if memory serves me well that sign and balustrade was just at the bottom of the hill on the old Swords Rd as in the map below. (Not the X on the Sports ground)
    santry1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

It was probably taken in 1913/1914. Many of the slums/tenaments in Dublin were pictured and recorded following the Church Street disaster of 1913.

I would have thought earlier,purley because I got the impression from the 1911 census that the tenaments were large buildings, the numbers were 41.1, 41.2 ect, giving me the impression that each building was broken up into smaller 'flats', of course ,giving the amount of people who lived in them that could be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I received an email back from RTE regarding Éamonn Mac Thomáis's Dublin A Personal View

Hi ****

Unfortunately this programme is very heavily copyright restricted. So I would be unable to give you a copy of the series.

However, from my information it is currently be re considered for transmission, so if you keep an eye out on TV listings, it may be shown in the future.

I’m sorry I couldn’t help you further.

Many thanks

Many thanks

Vicky Moran
    TV Library Sales,
    RTE
    Donnybrook, Dublin 4.
    +353 (0)1 2082786

Looking forward to it being rebroadcast so. I'll be sure to digitally record it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

i think they have already been showing that on RTE? i watched one a few weeks ago about the tradesmen of dublin and the renovating of the central bank, cobbling in trinity etc. maybe its not the same actual series but its the same narrator at least. :)

Masada wrote: »
    i think they have already been showing that on RTE? i watched one a few weeks ago about the tradesmen of dublin and the renovating of the central bank, cobbling in trinity etc. maybe its not the same actual series but its the same narrator at least. :)

I think that was the "Hands" series narrated by Eamon.

Part of one of the programs....?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

that video says its private, bt it appears to be the right one though. nice find. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭ALS

Looking for any pictures or vids of Upper / Lower Dominic St, Dublin.
    Thanks

Masada wrote: »
    that video says its private, bt it appears to be the right one though. nice find. :)

That's one of mine that I haven't made public yet as I have a few such video clips still to work on.

I thought I already posted this, but here's the following part of that video clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Anybody got/know where to find pictures and/or videos of the docklands before modernisation? Preferably from the 70's and 80's. Thanks, great thread by the way.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Anybody got/know where to find pictures and/or videos of the docklands before modernisation? Preferably from the 70's and 80's
    Here's a few - apologies for the poor quality of some of them.

B & I Terminal 1960s

BITerminalNorthWallQuay1960s.jpg

Custom House Quay/City Quay 1965

CustomHouseQuay1965.jpg

Liffey 1976 - prior to construction of Talbot Bridge

Liffey1976.jpg

Construction of Matt talbot Bridge 1978(?)

TalbotBridgeUnderConstruction1980.jpg

Sir John Rogerson's Quay 1979

SirJohnRogersonsQuay.jpg

Custom House 1986

CustomsHouse1986.jpg

Custom House Area in 1986 (prior to construction of the IFSC)

Docklands1986.jpg

George's Quay and Moss Street - 1980s (notice old style parking meters)

GeorgesQuay1980s.jpg

Entrance to Dublin Harbour - 1986

DublinHarbour1986.jpg

George's Quay - 1990

GeorgesQuay1990.jpg

Sheriff St/Mayor St/Commons St Area in 1994

Docklands1994.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Eamonn Mac Thomais from the '70s. Part 4

Rashers, are you sure that's from the 70's? There's one orange liveried Dublin bus early on but the rest are in the green livery. Didn't the green only come in in the 80's?
    Either way, a great video just a pity that it can't be bought on DVD. :(
    thats my father in the video from 3:56 to 4:00, walking towards the camera
    The guy with the 'tache? My uncle had the same look going on in the late 70's, early 80's :) Probably a 'Phil Lynott' look :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Christ, Dublin was in a bad way!!

Great pics Wishbone.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Rashers, are you sure that's from the 70's?

Nope, but the original intro had 1970 something in the credits.
    Either way, a great video just a pity that it can't be bought on DVD. :(

You can probably get it if you know where to look. ;)

Well as we're talking about it here's part 5.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Rashers, are you sure that's from the 70's? There's one orange liveried Dublin bus early on but the rest are in the green livery. Didn't the green only come in in the 80's?
    No. 4 is from 1983. There is a clue in the piece about Read's cutlers but prior to hearing that bit it was easy to tell from the cars that it couldn't have been from the 1970's - e.g. there are several Mk I Ford Sierras in the background and they didn't appear until 1982 approx. ;)

Thank you WB.

So here's part 6...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I could have sworn the quays changed to one way in the 70's,but yet I see a car pulling across at the juction of capel bridge and parliment in video 5, just before the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I loved the bit with Reads Cutlers, I just loved visiting that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Posted by like clockwork! here
    Found this video of Ireland in 1934. Was filmed by an American who visited. Its a really interesting watch! The 560 pound man in partcular!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ok I've come across over 500 hundred photos. Some haven't been seen and some have already found their way onto the net. Most are from East Wall and a lot will be of groups such as football teams and confo group photos etc, but some are just stock and trade old photos.
    I have to give a very big thank you to Paddy the Butcher down in East Wall for gathering up the locals' memories and giving over the front window of his shop. He's a character that Dublin's by far the richer for and his meat is very good and at excellent prices.

These first lot have possibly been posted previously but I will gat around to sorting out others. So once again thanks Paddy, Paul and Tom...

Behan at the Reptile House...
    E858AFDBCFB14E5187F6CF93655DB29A.jpg

Outside Werburgh St dole...
    922F37D9391D4C73ABB68A50F0BD9A72-500.jpg

A4E1F8B48B2A41FB93A1BD7F02063DDC-500.jpg

48966211999143C1B4D35AC55BA6E72E.jpg

90E1132149F74AC88A5A5B2C0090E04C-500.jpg

Now I appreciate that some have been posted but it wont do any harm for reminders but I will get into the original stuff over the next few weeks. I'm chasing up a cracking story about a church that disappeared...so it's a work in progress. Remember...Paddy the butcher...great sausages!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

that round tower on dame street is mad was that put up the same time as the cinema on o'connell bridge for some festival

• Advertisement

that round tower on dame street is mad was that put up the same time as the cinema on o'connell bridge for some festival

Is THIS the 'cinema' you mean?

Advertisement