Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

its a pity theyre knocking it
    Is it deffo being knocked?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Latchy wrote: »
    Look at the clothes style ? ;) Would love to see any more from same era if you have any .
    Here's a few more 'fashion' pics from an earlier era.

A couple of cool dudes by the Grand Canal in 1965.

CanalBoys1965.jpg

Love Birds in 1966. (He looks very dated with the wooly polo-neck and pipe but the girl looks fairly timeless).

LoveBirds1966.jpg

A couple of Mods in Fitzwilliam Square in 1966.

ModsFitzwilliamSquare1966.jpg

A traveller girl in the city centre in 1966.

TravellerGirl1966.jpg

Corner boys in the city centre in 1977.

CornerBoys1977.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Hermy wrote: »
    Is it deffo being knocked?

here is a bit of info on the new building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

http://www.dublinmonaghanbombings.org/dec72.html

bit about the bombing just before the dail was nearly to vote against repressive anti-terrorist leglisation, you can guess which way they voted afterwards hmmm...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Carter12 wrote: »
    Heres a few oldies of Finglas.

I hope these post ok :)

They dont seem to have, at least I can see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Me neither :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The fella second from right is one of the Dalys. Pat or Deco.

I must know you :)

Or you might not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I just copied and pasted them into the post

Doesn't work that way. If I were you I'd upload my pictures to Photobucket. There you'll get a code to embed your pictures in posts. For instance here's one from Photobucket:

Old photo of Merville Dairies Finglas
    Merville.jpg

Now hit Quote in this post and you'll see the way the IMG code is used, or if you upload to Photobucket use the IMG code below each picture.

Best of luck.... be patient with yourself... you'll get it.

A history of Dublin by Eamon Mac Thomais, made in the 70's. First of a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

1.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

AIB now :-

5.jpg

Church street before the carraigeway:-

6.jpg

Library and carpark now

7.jpg

PTSB now :-
    8.jpg

9.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

I hope this works now... its taken me ages... thanks Rashers x

• Advertisement

Great pictures Carter 12. :)

CopyofTheRoyalOak.jpg

I see that The Royal Oak was a 'bonafide' pub. A little explaination for those who may not be familiar with the term:

Under the Licencing Act of 1872, pubs either had a 6 day or 7 day licence. Pubs with a 7 day licence could serve food or drink late at night or on a Sunday, to people who were 'bonafide' travellers. They were supposed to have had spent the previous night at least 3 miles away and were travelling in good faith either for business or pleasure and not for the purpose of seeking refreshments.

In reality however, it just meant that thirsty men cycled to a pub at least 3 miles from their home to get a late drink or a drink on a Sunday. Many of the roadhouse type pubs on the arterial routes into Dublin were 'bonafide' premises, e.g. Deadman's Inn (Lucan), Swiss Cottage (Santry). This law was abolished in 1953.

Dublin in the 70s with Eamon Mac Thomais. Part 2

i was talking to a man in work on sunday and he told me that when st patricks cathedral was renovated recently two previously hidden rooms were discovered, has anyone else heard this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Rashers wrote: »
    A history of Dublin by Eamon Mac Thomais, made in the 70's. First of a series.

Any relation to the guy who does the Graveyard Tours in Glasnevin I wonder.

Shane MacThomais

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

That's his son I believe. He had 4 kids, Shane, Damien, Orla and Meliosa.

I'd love to get Dublin: A Personal View on DVD. The youtube links posted are brilliant.

Des wrote: »
    Any relation to the guy who does the Graveyard Tours in Glasnevin I wonder.

Shane MacThomais

Eamon was his father.

Eamon Mac Thomais part 3.

This one featuring the late Hector Grey at the Ha'penny Bridge and Joe Fitzpatrick a survivor of the Niemba ambush in the Congo.

I love Eamon's quote in this clip, "In every street in Dublin there's a university." There surely is.

Love these clips. Watched them all last night. Is the sound off sync on them or is that my end?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Those old photos of Finglas are great. My grandfather and uncle are in them. Superb.

RTÉ Libraries and Archives Services
    http://www.rte.ie/laweb/sales/sales_priv_charges.html

I've dropped them a line enquiring about getting the series on DVD.

• Advertisement

Santry 1964.

No Hilton but does anyone know what's there now?

Santry1964.jpg

^^
    I know this one but I'll let someone else have a go first. (I'm from the area)

Rashers wrote: »
    Santry 1964.

No Hilton but does anyone know what's there now?
    Morton Stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I don't suppose anyone would have a picture of Powers court, not the shopping center, it lay between upper and lower Mount street,at stevens lane, and the housing were all tenament's. My grandfather, and his parents lived there,love to see what it was like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dubtom wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone would have a picture of Powers court, not the shopping center, it lay between upper and lower Mount street,at stevens lane, and the housing were all tenament's. My grandfather, and his parents lived there,love to see what it was like.

Hope this helps.
    80476.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Wow,That's quick Spurious. Thanks for that. I suspect that pic dates to 1800's?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wow,That's quick Spurious. Thanks for that. I suspect that pic dates to 1800's?

I don't know the exact date, but I'd guess more like early 1900s myself, maybe up as late as 1920. They appear to be fairly well off compared to their surroundings - or possibly in Sunday clothes.

I don't suppose anyone would have a picture of Powers court
    ......and here's a picture of Power's Court in 2007.

PowersCourt.jpg

I suspect that pic dates to 1800's?
    spurious wrote: »
    I'd guess more like early 1900s myself, maybe up as late as 1920
    It was probably taken in 1913/1914. Many of the slums/tenaments in Dublin were pictured and recorded following the Church Street disaster of 1913.

• Advertisement

It was probably taken in 1913/1914. Many of the slums/tenaments in Dublin were pictured and recorded following the Church Street disaster of 1913.

what disaster was that wishbone?

Advertisement