Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

whats the ballybough house like, it looks like the kind of pub i like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Mostly the more mature crowd, its a comfy place. On the match days its absolutely manic. Couple of years ago they bought up a large space of land at the back of it maybe 4-5 times the size of the pub and it does be packed to the brim for the matches.

Edit, the pub is actually called the Ansley house. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ChrisSullivan

Masada wrote: »
    The Barber shop was owned by a guy called Jo Moran wasnt it? i think someone related to him was still doing the trade in the area in recent years.

the only train bridge i can think of in the area there would be the one leading into what is now courtney place flats.

In the left side background you can see ballybough house and on the other side of those is the tolka river. theres also popular row flats which used to he a huge complex in the area behind this pub and all the way up towards the train bridge. a redevolopment took place a few years ago and only 2 of the blocks remain but are tarted up to lok modern.

Ballybough house itself was built in the 40-50s i think and about 4-5 years ago the government pumped a lot of money into a redevolopment of the complex. not long afterwards the residents were in the media complaining about the conditions they were living in with dampness from the river next to them and with poor drainage causing multiple flats to flood if one had a blockage. The council were looking at rehousing the tenants and demolishing the flats to make room for a more modern alternative.

3799677290_48c870239e_b.jpg

No the barber shop I am referring to is the one that used to be at number 10 Poplar Row where the buses used to turn at a terminus and it was owned by the Sullivans - John Sullivan was the barber and at the front of the shop the sign read O'Sullivan.
    Here's a photo taken in the yard at the back of the shop either in 1954 or 1955 - these are all the Sullivan brothers and sisters and you can just about see Ballybough House in the background. In the seventies the houses with the shop were demolished and replaced by a block of flats which, I have noticed, was pulled down too.
    There is another photo which I have posted on another thread which had Ballybough House (again in the background) taken in 1947.
    Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 arasay

Hi can anyone out there remember the area between 1920 & late 30's - I'm trying to trace a family of Bradleys that lived in courtney place / poplar row -
    Rashers wrote: »
    I didn't actually live there, but close by. In fact I think the row of houses you speak of (where your Uncle's barber shop was) is the same row of houses where I met a girl for our first date (she's now my wife)... outside a little shop between the lights at Ballybough Rd and Annesley Place... where the piece of wasteground is in the photo.

The flats themselves were small on the inside. They overlooked the Tolka. (Aren't they still there as seen in the photo below?)

Caretakers took cleaned the outside of the flats and the tenants were obliged to keep their own living area clean and tidy.

At the time I speak of it was a good place to live with a strong community spirit.

If you happen to have a photo of the houses I speak of (where the waste ground is) I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

The Barber shop was owned by a guy called Jo Moran wasnt it? i think someone related to him was still doing the trade in the area in recent years.

the only train bridge i can think of in the area there would be the one leading into what is now courtney place flats.

In the left side background you can see ballybough house and on the other side of those is the tolka river. theres also popular row flats which used to he a huge complex in the area behind this pub and all the way up towards the train bridge. a redevolopment took place a few years ago and only 2 of the blocks remain but are tarted up to lok modern.

Ballybough house itself was built in the 40-50s i think and about 4-5 years ago the government pumped a lot of money into a redevolopment of the complex. not long afterwards the residents were in the media complaining about the conditions they were living in with dampness from the river next to them and with poor drainage causing multiple flats to flood if one had a blockage. The council were looking at rehousing the tenants and demolishing the flats to make room for a more modern alternative.

3799677290_48c870239e_b.jpg

My Grandad was the original owner of The Friar Tuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Thanks for all the awesome photos especially the ones of East Wall...Fascinating stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dec_

I Bought a Job Lot of old camera's many moons ago and when I opened one of them there was a Roll of Film in It. I managed to Save these one's
    and am still curious as to who the People are it seem's to be a street Photographer who took them in O'Connell Street and the Camera Jammed so they could not be collected.

Can't Seem to Post them Here so I put them here for the Time Being.

http://www.dublin.ie/forums/album.php?albumid=359

This is now on 3 Threads if a Mod would sort it out for Me Please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Mostly the more mature crowd, its a comfy place.

Edit, the pub is actually called the Ansley house. :)

Sorry it's actually called the 'Clonliffe House' Previously 'McCanns' before that 'Fluter Goods' ;)

Walsh wrote: »
    Sorry it's actually called the 'Clonliffe House' Previously 'McCanns' before that 'Fluter Goods' ;)
    The photo of Fluther Good which hung behind the bar when it was called The Fluther Good used to hang above the fire place in my uncle's barber shop at 10 Poplar Row; Fluther, before O'Casey used his name in the Plough and the Stars, would go into the barber shop to talk and would sit on a 'butter box' used many years ago to deliver butter.
    The family have often wondered (1) how the photo ever got into the bar and (2) where it is now.
    Do you know the street address of the pub?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yeah your right, i was confusing it with the other pub at the end of spring garden street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A while back I was asking if any of ye had any memories of Grennells shoemakers in Parnell Street. I think the shop was previously situated in Liffey Street. So here's a few photos of what's left of the shop:
    Grennell_1_Small.jpg

Grennell_2_Small.jpg

Grennell_3_Small.jpg

Grennell_4_Small.jpg

Grennell_5_Small.jpg

On the corner of Parnell Street and Ryders Row was Dempseys music shop if anyone might remember that too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Ah yes, not looking so good since the corner site was illegally demolished tho

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Ah yes, not looking so good since the corner site was illegally demolished tho
    I thought the building collapsed. Wasn't the road blocked for a time?
    Maybe I'm mixing it up with something else as there have been a few such collapses.
    And far too many illegal demolition jobs I might add!

Genealogy Forum Mod

It's great to see any photos of Dublin - modern and historic; the last time I was over there they had just received the Samuel Beckett Bridge from Holland; is it in place yet and are there any photos?

A little Samuel Beckett quote for you 'There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet.'

Further to my recent post; I have an interest in Dublin at the moment because I am writing a novel with some of it set in there - well I'm trying anyway.
    So here's the prologue for you all to read; I promise I won't bore you with any of the rest of it and I hope to be finished by the end of the year; and then we'll see!

Any comments would be very much appreciated after all it is meant for your eyes:

[font=Arial Black, sans-serif]Travelling on a mass transport system in any of the large cities can be intimidating and sometimes frightening with nobody speaking or even looking at each other but not in Dublin. In Dublin it is a pleasure and even entertaining in the morning rush hour because people talk to each other and when you sit there, even if you are a stranger, looking out of the window, the sound you hear is like that of a cocktail party.[/font]
    [font=Arial Black, sans-serif]Everybody seems to be talking and laughing; telling each other jokes and stories; gossiping about their friends and even the commuters, who don't know each other, strike up conversations with the person sitting next to them; they would maybe talk about a recent fight or a football match, politics or the philosophy of drinking.[/font]
    [font=Arial Black, sans-serif]One middle aged fella, sitting next to his fellow middle aged pal said “When we were very young we had a teetotaller at work who couldn't see the attraction of drink and asked me one time how much I drank when we went out with the lads.”[/font]
    [font=Arial Black, sans-serif]“And what did you tell him” asked his pal.[/font]
    [font=Arial Black, sans-serif]“Oh I said we probably drank about seven pints what with the buying of the rounds or the kitty system and maybe a short or two before we hit the road – and you know what he said?”[/font]
    [font=Arial Black, sans-serif]“Tell me!”[/font]
    [font=Arial Black, sans-serif]“He said 'were you really that thirsty?”[/font]
    [font=Arial Black, sans-serif]Then they both laughed very loudly which didn't cause any commotion as everybody else on board was telling stories and laughing too.[/font]
    [font=Arial Black, sans-serif]If anything big, like the spire that replaced Nelson's Pillar was to take place it would be the talk of the town and the DART. [/font]
    [font=Arial Black, sans-serif]When a new bridge was delivered from Rotterdam to Dublin the DART went silent as it crossed the River Liffey so everybody could look out of the window to see if it was up or nearly up or even on its way; as soon as they saw that it wasn't they went back into their stride and the craic continued as the craic was ninety.[/font]
    [font=Arial Black, sans-serif]The name of the new bridge was to be the Samuel Beckett but the day they all looked to see it, they knew that it was too windy for the helicopter and so they were only checking on what they had heard on the news; but wasn't it grand to name something after such a writer even though he wrote most of his stuff in French - and it wasn't the DART that made people talk the way they did; Dublin people – the Dubs – have been telling each other stories with passion and wit for centuries.[/font]
    [font=Arial Black, sans-serif]Our story takes place a long time before the DART was built and even before Nelson's Pillar was blown up; it takes place in that sweet time of yesteryear when everything seemed simple and nobody seemed to be in debt; there was no such thing as a mobile phone and if you talked of the Internet somebody would come along and lock you up; but everything is simple and debt less in retrospect especially from the mind of a child.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

There is an active creative writing forum listed under Arts and I think you get a more rounded critique of your work there. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Thanks very much for that but I wouldn't dream of sending it to anybody for critiques etc - that would be like having some teacher at school looking over my shoulder; this, as with my last novel, is for the public and I just thought people would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

The Iveagh Markets 1986

IveaghMarkets1986.jpg

IveaghMarketsInterior1986.jpg

(Is it just me or does her cigarette look excessively large?)

IveaghMarketTrader1986.jpg

Iveagh Markets 2008

(Junction of Dean Swift Square and Lamb Alley).

DeanSwiftSquareLambAlleyIveaghmarke.jpg

I've only come across this thread.
    I'd like to thank you for posting these. I went to school in CBS Francis Street and used to be in the Iveagh. That woman is "Ida". Used to sell every sweet imaginable. I can't believe you have that photo. Brilliant.

What's the story on the Iveagh? The last time I was down there, a few years ago, it was as shut as anything could be; I seem to remember that the Guinness Trust or the Iveagh Trust or whatever it was called left the Iveagh to the people of Dublin; so what's happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

What's the story on the Iveagh? The last time I was down there, a few years ago, it was as shut as anything could be; I seem to remember that the Guinness Trust or the Iveagh Trust or whatever it was called left the Iveagh to the people of Dublin; so what's happened?

It was built by Lord Iveagh in the early 20th Century and given to the people of Dublin (Dublin Corporation) as a gift in 1907

Dublin City Council closed it in 1996 - they said that this was in order to renovate it.

However, instead they seem to have sold it to a private developer called Keane (who also owns several pubs, hotels around Temple Bar). He intended to turn it into luxury apart-Hotel, bars, restaurants etc.

The traders who worked there had been there for years and years. Some probably for generations.

I personally think Dublin City Council suck aƦse for selling public property - something which was a gift to Dubliners and a public amenity - to a private developer.

The market was something real. Does Dublin really need more faux-cosmopolitan bars, restaurants and hotels?

They're trying to do the same with the Victorian Fruit and Vegetable market in the North Inner City. They want to move it to somewhere on the M50.

It's a real shame.

I don't understand why Dublin City Council sells public property. People don't seem to be aware of it. It doesn't seem to be the actual councillors, but the faceless, answer-to-nobody people behind the scenes who seem to run everything.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean as it happens everywhere - I never ever come to Dublin without visiting Moore Street Market, the GPO and Mulligans in Poolbegg Street; every time I go to the GPO it changes; first they took down the proclamation, then they had the place covered in paintings near the ceiling and when I went there in March everything from 1916 was in a room on a wall to the right.
    People go to Dublin to see these things and not Temple Bar which I thought was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I know what you mean as it happens everywhere - I never ever come to Dublin without visiting Moore Street Market, the GPO and Mulligans in Poolbegg Street; every time I go to the GPO it changes; first they took down the proclamation, then they had the place covered in paintings near the ceiling and when I went there in March everything from 1916 was in a room on a wall to the right.
    People go to Dublin to see these things and not Temple Bar which I thought was awful.

Unfortunately too many people go to temple bar. The horrible pubs charge €6.50 for a bad guinness and the tourists "have the crack" with other tourist. Mulligans is a great pub. I always get some snuff in there for the laugh.

Best pint of Guinness anywhere!

The Iveagh Trust (Corporation Flats) are on Kevin Street, the Iveagh Buildings (Shelter Accomodation) are on Bride Road. The Iveagh Market (now closed) is on Francis Street. Just in case there's any confusion...

nessyguin wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out with the location of these pics ?

CivilWarPics007.jpg

I may be wrong but this looks like Thomas Court, the lane beside St. Catherine's Church on Thomas Street, looking towards Marrowbone Lane.

Another unknown 'lounge' in 1965

PubUnknown1965.jpg

looks like the back of Madigans, O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

looks like the back of Madigans, O'Connell St.

Isn't that the Palace Bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Hermy wrote: »
    A while back I was asking if any of ye had any memories of Grennells shoemakers in Parnell Street. I think the shop was previously situated in Liffey Street. So here's a few photos of what's left of the shop:

Grennell_5_Small.jpg

On the corner of Parnell Street and Ryders Row was Dempseys music shop if anyone might remember that too.

I remember Dempseys, altough it was called Dempseys Music Salon, I bought my first plectrum there. The guy behind the counter always had a unbelievable stentch of onions around him, but he was lovely, reminded me of David Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Was he an aulfella? And have ya any idea when they closed down? Ive a distant memory of bringin my first guitar into a shop somewhere around there to get fixed.

By the way, i assume ye all know that the 1911 census is up now for the whole of Ireland?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Really interesting to see some of the entries.

Rashers, you must have been what, 16/17 at the time?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

coyle wrote: »
    Rashers, you must have been what, 16/17 at the time?! :D

At that time I was out practicing throwing stones for the upcoming Rising... cos I couldn't afford a rifle. :D

Advertisement